PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember DBR when

ricks68
01-16-2011, 03:45 AM
It's about time that I got a second pitchfork for something very interesting..........and this may be it:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970413054027/www.juliovision.com/dbr.html

At least it may be some proof of at least how long I have been following the boards. (Actually, a few years before the above, I think.)

ricks

SMO
01-16-2011, 09:18 AM
It's about time that I got a second pitchfork for something very interesting..........and this may be it:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970413054027/www.juliovision.com/dbr.html

At least it may be some proof of at least how long I have been following the boards. (Actually, a few years before the above, I think.)

ricks

Wow! DBR seemed a lot more fun back then! Who knew?

gw67
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Big upcheck! I go back to Juliovision but it took me awhile to begin posting on DBR. My participation was limited to reading the posts for a couple of months. I also recall reading Duke posts on on the internet (Prodigy?).

gw67

Lord Ash
01-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Hah! It does seem a bit different than the current version, tone-wise...:)

I didn't post for YEARS actually... I was not terribly computer-savy, and I was scared of the codes:)

JohnGalt
01-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Hah! It does seem a bit different than the current version, tone-wise...:)

I didn't post for YEARS actually... I was not terribly computer-savy, and I was scared of the codes:)

I'd be willing to bet the change in "tone" is in large part a byproduct of the level of computer lingo used these days. I wonder how many words to describe certain reactions ("ughh", "ehh", et al) were used on that board...not to mention the ubiquitous "lol" and things of that nature.

Kdogg
01-16-2011, 10:13 AM
That page needs the old parquet floor background for the full effect. I can't believe this summer will mark DBR's 15th anniversary or that I've been reading it that long.

JG Nothing
01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd be willing to bet the change in "tone" is in large part a byproduct of the level of computer lingo used these days. I wonder how many words to describe certain reactions ("ughh", "ehh", et al) were used on that board...not to mention the ubiquitous "lol" and things of that nature.

The difference was the overall maturity of the Duke posters with perhaps a few glaring (although entertaining in retrospect) fanatical exceptions. Tar Heel Talk, now that was a different story....

sagegrouse
01-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Funny and sentimental, as well. I tried to give you a thumbs up but was politely informed that I needed to spread my love around.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow! DBR seemed a lot more fun back then! Who knew?
I know. A lot of us know.

linus
01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Big upcheck! I go back to Juliovision but it took me awhile to begin posting on DBR. My participation was limited to reading the posts for a couple of months. I also recall reading Duke posts on on the internet (Prodigy?).

gw67

Yep, I go back to the Prodigy email lists too....that's a long time of lurking :)

MulletMan
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
While everyone is lamenting how much more fun DBR was back in the day, perhaps you should all also notice that each and every post needed to be approved by Boswell (eventually by James) and thus the level of discourse, and signal to noise ratio on the boards was considerably more developed and higher, respectively.

tele
01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I've always greatly appreciated the game summaries and the links; still not sure if this whole bulletin board idea is going to catch on.

Rich
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Weren't the Boards called Sagarmatha back then? I agree that the parquet floor background would make it complete.