PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong with Miles??? NO!!

redick4pres
01-15-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry to be posting this if it has already been talked about...I looked around and didn't see it so hopefully I didn't just miss it.

I was wondering if there is something wrong with Miles. He didn't play a whole lot in the FSU game and barely played today against UVA. Being at the game today I glanced over a couple times to see if he "looked like his normal self". I don't know that I could tell anything by looking at his expressions, but I just am puzzled why he's on the bench. Did he do something wrong academically? Is he practicing poorly? I just can't figure it out. There has to be something because with all due respect, he brings A LOT more to our team than Ryan Kelly!

I do remember watching the All-Access Duke before the season and Coach K told the assistants that Ryan could be a weapon, and I agree. However, he's not been a weapon all year, IMO. Just taking the FSU and UVA games into account, Ryan has taken way too many shots and come up empty on almost all of them. Now, today he made a couple good plays on great passes from Kyle, but for the most part he stands outside and shoots threes and hasn't made a single one since I can remember.

I am in no way trying to bash Ryan and in no way do I wish not to play him, I just want to understand why he plays and Miles doesn't. I wish both would play like they were playing at the beginning of the season. After all, Miles did start on a National Championship team. I hope you guys don't take this post the wrong way, I am just confused and looking for some insight in anyone has any!

GO DUKE!!!

Leck
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
i'm definitely not taking it the wrong way and hopefully no one else does. actually, i was wondering the same thing. he doesn't seem to be playing bad in the last couple of games. he did have a dislocated finger earlier in the year, but i don't know of any specific injury problem.

i will say this, i think that with magnum K.I. out, singler has to play the 4 spot as opposed to the wing. This puts 3 guys in competition for minutes at the 5 and i think miles might be the odd-man-out in that situation because mason is more athletic (hard to imagine i know) and ryan is more versatile with his shooting ability (he did win the 3-point contest at the McDonald's All American Game).

in any matter, i hope miles sees much more minutes because he brings a lot to the table with his athleticism, strength, and experience. if not, he's got a great attitude and is undoubtedly a leader on this young team.

jv001
01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
have not distinguished themselves as being solid with the ball on the interior. All have shown promise, but have not been strong with the ball. Mason is getting lot's of rebounds but has not shown much offense(missed dunk today). Ryan has shown great basketball IQ but has played mostly on the perimeter. Miles has been up and down. He's not shown much consistency and Hairston hasn't gotter much pt. I think Coach K is playing his best practice players right now and Mason must not be getting it done. I hope Miles and the rest of the bigs get it done in practice and against NC State as we will have our hands full with Smith and company. Go Duke!

MulletMan
01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry to be posting this if it has already been talked about...I looked around and didn't see it so hopefully I didn't just miss it.

I was wondering if there is something wrong with Miles. He didn't play a whole lot in the FSU game and barely played today against UVA. Being at the game today I glanced over a couple times to see if he "looked like his normal self". I don't know that I could tell anything by looking at his expressions, but I just am puzzled why he's on the bench. Did he do something wrong academically? Is he practicing poorly? I just can't figure it out. There has to be something because with all due respect, he brings A LOT more to our team than Ryan Kelly!

I do remember watching the All-Access Duke before the season and Coach K told the assistants that Ryan could be a weapon, and I agree. However, he's not been a weapon all year, IMO. Just taking the FSU and UVA games into account, Ryan has taken way too many shots and come up empty on almost all of them. Now, today he made a couple good plays on great passes from Kyle, but for the most part he stands outside and shoots threes and hasn't made a single one since I can remember.

I am in no way trying to bash Ryan and in no way do I wish not to play him, I just want to understand why he plays and Miles doesn't. I wish both would play like they were playing at the beginning of the season. After all, Miles did start on a National Championship team. I hope you guys don't take this post the wrong way, I am just confused and looking for some insight in anyone has any!

GO DUKE!!!

Two words: Dog. House.

Not sure why, but its pretty clear that Miles is hanging with Snoopy in the back yard.

devildeac
01-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I asked Ozzie during both halves if Miles had an adequate supply of these:

http://milkbone.com/

Dukeford
01-15-2011, 11:31 PM
I wonder what Marshall thinks about it?

OldPhiKap
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I wonder what Marshall thinks about it?

I assume he thinks that he could be a big help right now and get some minutes.

I don't know why K is doing the interior rotation he is -- looking for the best combination, I assume -- but I doubt it is either arbitrary or capricious.

SeattleIrish
01-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Could also be an undisclosed injury that he's battling (he's lacking aggression - perhaps that's due to something physical). We don't really know what it is, so I hope we all keep an open mind.

I'm confident Miles will be playing better as the season progresses.

s.i.

Devilsfan
01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
The lady sitting next to me nailed it when she replied "Miles is Mason without the rebounds".

gumbomoop
01-16-2011, 04:07 AM
The lady sitting next to me nailed it when she replied "Miles is Mason without the rebounds".

It's a witty remark, for sure, given Miles' mediocre play just now. Whether there's any substance behind the remark might go a long way toward determining the Devils' fortunes this season.

As follows:

1. If the only thing either Miles or Mason can do is rebound, and Miles can't even do that very well, then his move toward the end of the bench will be psychologically delicate for the team [not to mention for Miles!]. It would almost certainly mean lots of minutes for Kyle at the 4.

2. Similarly, if the remark is substantively accurate, one might imagine a disappointing season. Presumably, the claim is that they share weaknesses. This lines of thinking says: (a) Both have tended to commit silly fouls, e.g., slapping at the ball after failing to get the rebound. (b) Neither has good court sense, good footwork, good hands. (c) Neither is anything close to a reliable scorer, and both have a maddening tendency to miss from right at the very rim.

3. If the remark is clever [and understandable given the disappointment in not simply blowing out UVa] but substantively inaccurate [both because Mason and Miles are more dissimilar than similar, and because they have strengths as well as weaknesses as players], then we might still imagine a season with far more highlights than low, and some good games from both Plumlees.

We're all going to find out whether this pithy witticism portends a very disappointing season for We the Entitled, or whether the Plumlees can play effectively without Kyrie, at least for awhile longer. The culture that the coaching staff has created over the years seems neither to encourage nor even tolerate sulking. So, we should be realistic about both Miles and Mason, but not gloomy about either.

devildeac
01-16-2011, 07:21 AM
From (the bottom of) Jim Sumner's game summary on the front page he wrote that K said Miles did not play much due to "his brother's effectiveness and Virginia going small."

I'll trust Jim reporting to us something directly from K.

4decadedukie
01-16-2011, 07:36 AM
I was at yesterday's game and seated with the Crazies, which was terrific (but that is a different topic); I could not see the action too well, surrounded by taller, younger guys and all of us standing -- and cheering -- for the entire game. However, I will offer an "impression" based on my less-than-ideal field-of-view. Both Plumlees seemed to me to be not fully engaged -- especially during the first-half -- with too many "mental lapses." I respectfully suggest that could easily be the cause of immediate doghouse consignment (particularly, multiple occurrences). Mason's second half performance seemed FAR more focused, alert, forward-thinking and successful.

Please understand that I have not yet really thought this trough thoroughly or reviewed yesterday's statistics -- I am offering ONLY an initial, visceral impression.

diveonthefloor
01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
IMO the answer to the OP's question is:

Yes.....
a) Lacks focus on too many occasions
b) Lacks soft hands
c) Not an adept passer out of the post

These are all things I am sure are being worked on....as for now, Ryan and Mason---while not exceptionally gifted at the above traits---have Miles beat on all three points.

Bluedevil114
01-16-2011, 08:25 AM
The biggest problem if you look at yesterdays game where UVA is thin and small in the post. Our bigs shot three freethrows between Kelly, Mason, Miles and Hairston. That shows a lack of agression when our bigs have the ball or a lack of possesions in the post. If you include Kyle in the free throws because he did play the four a lot yesterday we only go up two more. How are we going to get teams that have legit centers in foul trouble if our bigs are not agressive and take fade aways in the lane?

dukeluv
01-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I have been to last 3 games and have left scratching head as to why both Plumlee's can't finish under basket. Early season with Kyrie it was looking much better but now I don't see either one with the aggression to finish once they get rebound or have ball under basket.

I also noticed in first half both Smith and Singler talking to other 3 players on court
seeming frustrated with the way they were playing. It has to be hard to be carrying load like they have been, finally Dawkins started hitting or it might have ended different.

I assume Coach K lit em up at half time as I was worried FL State had deflated the boys.
The team is not invincible esp without Irving. Did you see the Ref telling Coach K to contain Irving's coaching from Bench. You got to love the kid. It must be hard sitting and watching team and not being able to contribute.

It is going to be interesting ACC season and I hope and pray we get Irving back sooner then later.

After watching Zubek get better year by year I am hoping Mason and Miles improve as much. Also I wonder why the team isn't passing more on offense to try to establish open shot vs just driving and shooting. Do you think they figure the more they shoot the more they make will win games esp 3's?

DukieInBrasil
01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
The biggest problem if you look at yesterdays game where UVA is thin and small in the post. Our bigs shot three freethrows between Kelly, Mason, Miles and Hairston. That shows a lack of agression when our bigs have the ball or a lack of possesions in the post. If you include Kyle in the free throws because he did play the four a lot yesterday we only go up two more. How are we going to get teams that have legit centers in foul trouble if our bigs are not agressive and take fade aways in the lane?
I agree that the lack of FTs from our interior is something to be taken seriously, but until Mason, and to a lesser extent Miles, can convert them at a better rate, I'm not upset that they aren't taking that many. The upside to it is that more reps ought to equal better performance from the line and more fouls on the opposing beg men is always a plus.
That fade-away across the lane from Mason needs to be eliminated, and thankfully he didn't attempt one vs UVa. Ryan definitely needs to seek more contact in the lane as he is a very good FT shooter, ditto for Kyle.
The only thing with Kyle is that he seems to have given that a try lately and he has shown that he just isn't that good at driving into the lane, finding contact and a) making a shot or b) drawing the foul. That type of drive has resulted in a pretty high turnover frequency and/or really tough, off-balance, odd-angle shots, which unsurprisingly, haven't been particularly effective. There are other aspects to his offensive game that are much more effective.

cptnflash
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Nothing is wrong with Miles that hasn't always been wrong with Miles. Stone hands, no consistent offensive game beyond dunks, low basketball IQ. But it appears to me that he's been particularly deep in the doghouse since his missed attempt at a highlight reel dunk in the late stages of the Maryland game when a simple two-handed offensive rebound and kickout would have been the correct play. He's only played 10 minutes the last two games combined. It wasn't just Virginia going with a small lineup. FSU plays a bunch of big, athletic forwards, and Miles was nowhere to be seen in that game either.

lucybluebear
01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
He only got around 4 minutes yesterday and I thought looked pretty good. Is he hurt? Sick? Or just in the doghouse?

devilsadvocate85
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I was at yesterday's game and seated with the Crazies, which was terrific (but that is a different topic); I could not see the action too well, surrounded by taller, younger guys and all of us standing -- and cheering -- for the entire game. However, I will offer an "impression" based on my less-than-ideal field-of-view. Both Plumlees seemed to me to be not fully engaged -- especially during the first-half -- with too many "mental lapses." I respectfully suggest that could easily be the cause of immediate doghouse consignment (particularly, multiple occurrences). Mason's second half performance seemed FAR more focused, alert, forward-thinking and successful.

Please understand that I have not yet really thought this trough thoroughly or reviewed yesterday's statistics -- I am offering ONLY an initial, visceral impression.

FYI -- Mason had 8 (EIGHT) rebounds in the first 4 minutes of the game. Please explain how he was not engaged?

Devilsfan
01-16-2011, 12:18 PM
There's an over diagnosed ailment of children when they have trouble staying focused or "in the zone'. Games only take an hour to play so maybe some five hour drink might help. Just kidding. Hope he starts plying like he's capable of playing because we need him.

dukeimac
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
I've notice this for about the last 4 or 5 games.

I believe he is going through a lack of confidence. He has had a few games where he did some bone head plays and then he hangs his head. Since those two back to back games he has been riding the pine more.

He is just lacking some confidence. It might be that his younger brother is a little bit better than him. This just might be the affect of having two brothers on a team.

4decadedukie
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
FYI -- Mason had 8 (EIGHT) rebounds in the first 4 minutes of the game. Please explain how he was not engaged?

A. Turnovers
B. Lost balls
C. Unreadiness to receive passes
D. Missed, easy put-ins and tips
E. Failures to block-out

hq2
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Well now that Mason is rebounding at least (nearly 11 a game in his last five games), maybe we'll just play like last year. Sub Andre in for Scheyer (shooting wise), and we can do it the same way; shoot threes, have Mason and the other bigs rebound, shoot 'em again. Worked last year with Zoubs!

devilsadvocate85
01-16-2011, 02:15 PM
A. Turnovers
B. Lost balls
C. Unreadiness to receive passes
D. Missed, easy put-ins and tips
E. Failures to block-out

Go back and watch the tape. See how many instances of any of the above you can find to place the blame on Mason. The guy isn't perfect but this unwarranted criticism is getting out of hand.

4decadedukie
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Go back and watch the tape. See how many instances of any of the above you can find to place the blame on Mason. The guy isn't perfect but this unwarranted criticism is getting out of hand.

Please consider that when several/many individuals indicate essentially the same thing, it may not be "unwarranted."

DukeGirl4ever
01-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Let me start out by saying that I agree with you that some of the criticism is out of hand, but some of it is becoming warranted.
I can think of an example yesterday where Mason was not ready to receive a pass, and I think this can show his (lack of) basketball IQ.

They ran a pick and roll play with Mason and Tyler....Tyler thought Mason was going to roll to the basket and passed it ahead in anticipation but instead, Mason drifted to the baseline, out of the play. Tyler threw the ball away as a result. I ALWAYS remember Mason rolling to the basket on high ball screens with Kyrie so I'm not sure what's up with that.

He also missed a couple of chippies yesterday that he has made before. In that sense, I know it is mental....but I am sure the coaching staff will find a way to help him overcome that aspect.

However, I will say that I am a believer that we need both Plumlees out on the court to be successful. Unlike a few others, I don't think Mason is playing THAT bad (but you asked for an example of his lack of focus so I gave you one). I also see some things that Mason and Miles need to improve on to be successful.

I remember the Wake Forest game at Cameron last year and both brothers were ridiculous with rebounding and scoring. They can bring that, and I expect that from them on a consistent basis because they have produced in the past. That's what is frustrating.

sagegrouse
01-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I share the dismay at some of the moves made by our big men that DO NOT result in a basket. As said before, it's demoralizing to the fan base. But these guys are there for defense, a lot of rebounding, and just some offense. The posts above dwell on offensive play and moves.

Consider the alternating offense-defense alignments at the end of games. The defense team is always bigger than the offense team.

I think the three have done a decent job on defense. Miles's problem is that he can't stay on the court because of stupid reach-in fouls, not befitting a junior. He seems to be able to move his feet and exert some muscle. The others are no bangers but Mason blocks a lot of shots.

And FWIW Mason is rebounding as well as Zoubek or anyone else we have had since Shelden Williams.

I don't disagree with the criticisms, but IMHO (where the H is usually silent) these guys will play based on their defense and rebounding, not their O.

My two cents. Change cheerfully given.

sagegrouse

miramar
01-16-2011, 09:40 PM
FWIW, Mason is picking up a foul every 10.1 minutes, Ryan 7.4, and Miles 6.0.

throatybeard
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I was watching some video from late last year--when Z was ruling the big man roost--and I was amazed how effective both Plumlees looked even while Z was the man. A couple huge RBs for Miles during the Butler game. I don't want to be negative, but it seems like both have regressed. I'm at a loss to explain it. It's a long season and hopefully that late-February Krzyzewski player coalescing will occur.

Leck
01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
our big guys can be the best in the country. i said it. they can be the best frontline in the country. but they're still in a period of adjustment...as the whole team is.

look for miles to have a break out game like he did last year against wake forest -- as ryan could or mason could (like he had against marquette). he, mason, and ryan have so much potential, they just need to find their place in the adjusted system.

hopefully miles and ryan keep their confidence up because i think we've figured out that our most effective lineup is mason, kyle, dre, seth, and nolan. they're too talented and athletic to not factor in. they just cant get too antsy and try and do too much.

smcook313
01-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm not saying that I believe Miles should be playing 25 minutes a game but only 4...? That seems very strange to me. He didn't play much against Florida St. either so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on what in the world is going on with Miles Plumlee??!!

stillcrazie
01-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying that I believe Miles should be playing 25 minutes a game but only 4...? That seems very strange to me. He didn't play much against Florida St. either so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on what in the world is going on with Miles Plumlee??!!

There is already a thread on this topic:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23915-Is-something-wrong-with-Miles

smcook313
01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
There is already a thread on this topic:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23915-Is-something-wrong-with-Miles

Thanks for bringing that out. My work computer doesnt let me look at any posts once they get moved down the board. Im also glad that someone else has the same questions raised! Im not sure what to think about it because I think he can bring alot of energy to the game at times. Thanks for the heads up though!

Scorp4me
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
look for miles to have a break out game like he did last year against wake forest

Ah yes, the Wake Forest game. I rarely taunt but after that game I told my State friend they had no chance against us. It wasn't because of our stars, it was because we had finally developed an inside game. Both Miles and Mason dominated that game and I expected them to continue. Of course we all know how the State game went.

I'm a huge Miles fan so I'm as disappointed as the next guy. Can't understand why he only got 4 minutes myself, but some of the comments in comparison to Mason are way off the mark.

I made the comment earlier in the year that the Plumlees only seem to play well one at a time, it's like they don't have enough between them to go around. I joked perhaps Marshall would split that even further. Of course at the time Miles was playing great and Mason couldn't stay in the game. Now it's reversed. I just think in all this lauding of Mason some are forgetting that.

1999ballboy
01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I've always naturally liked Miles for some reason- perhaps because I'm an older sibling. I also think I appreciated his vast improvement between his freshman and sophomore year. Mason being far more heralded than him after high school, I think I expected Miles to take a backseat to his brother last year and barely play. On the whole, Miles stepped it up, even developed a mid-range jumper, and though he lost his starting spot he was a very important player.

That said, I don't disagree with K's recent decision to bench him. I don't think it's a doghouse thing at all- he just isn't effective against stronger bigs. In the past I was never able to quite see what made Mason such a better pro prospect than Miles, and I'm beginning to see it now. He scores about as effectively as his brother, and shoots free throws and mid-range slightly better than Mason. But he's behind in every other statistical category. Mason and Ryan Kelly help us out more on the boards, and both are much, much better shot blockers.

I think the main thing holding Miles back, and the main difference I see between him and his brother, is slow reflexes. Miles often has a lot of difficulty timing shot blocks (though he often goes for them anyway) as well as getting in position to rebound in time. He does have tremendous athleticism and lots of other ways he can contribute. I hope he can find another game like last year's Wake game in him somehow.

Kedsy
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Mason and Ryan Kelly help us out more on the boards, and both are much, much better shot blockers.

I think all three of our bigs bring different skills to the table. I believe Miles, for example, is our best interior defender.

As far as your statement quoted above, while Mason certainly has been rebounding better than Miles this season, and both Mason and Ryan appear to be better shot blockers, Ryan does not "help us out more on the boards" than Miles. Miles rebounds at a rate of 10.97 rebounds per 40 minutes, while Ryan is only rebounding at a rate of 7.78 rebounds per 40. That's a significant advantage to Miles.

GODUKEGO
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
As we start playing better competition, it is becoming more apparent that we really miss Z. Lance was the unsung hero that did the unnoticed things. Jon was Mr. Clutch and an unbelievable floor leader. There is no doubt in my mind however that we were going to miss Z the most at last year’s season end. The guy set hard screens, would stop the opponent’s big man and was dominant on the boards. Last season 46% of his rebounds were offensive. Through sixteen games this year as a team we are at 30%. Mason YTD is at 26% and Miles at 36%. Almost half of your rebounds on the offensive end is incredible. This takes two things, first positioning but I think even more is tenaciousness that when that ball comes off the rim, it is mine. He was relentless in getting that rebound. Granted he did commit some fouls doing this but I do not think Coach K minded these fouls as opposed to a big man at the top of the key trying to slap the ball away from the other team’s guards.

He also knew how to play within his limitations. This is so hard for a kid to learn. Most think they have the complete game. I remember last year at Cameron, Z would be standing alone at the free throw line and the crowd was yelling “Shoot, Shoot”. I was yelling “Don’t Shoot” and he did not. That was beyond his limitations and he knew it.
This is going to sound like I am beating up on the Plumlee’s but file it under venting or constructive criticism. They cannot stop another team’s good big man. Jordan Williams and Reggie Johnson were a combined 70% from the field with a shot not farther away than five feet from the basket. They either refuse to block out for rebounds, forget to or have not learned to. They commit way to many silly fouls as mentioned earlier trying to knock the ball out of a guards hand at the top of the key, trying to block every shot or not setting a legal pick. Averaging 17 minutes a game, Miles is averaging 2.9 fouls a game and Mason at 24 minutes a game; he is averaging 2.4 fouls a game. They also do not switch back to their man when coming to the top of the key. It has been mentioned in other post that this is not their fault but a teammates who does not switch. I am referring to switching back. Offensively neither has a consistent ten to fifteen foot jump shot. The other team’s bigs are staying under the basket to get rebounds, stop penetration and forcing us to take to many three point shots. I am reading that they are improving. Over the last several games, I see regression except Mason's rebounds. Look at the stats. I read they are a work in progress. This is Mason’s 94th game and Mile’s 57th game. They lack Z’s tenaciousness. Don’t confuse chest pumping after an ally-opp sensational dunk with tenaciousness.

I enjoy watching these guys. They are a highlight film waiting with their blocks and incredible alley-oop dunks. This season however I see as the Plumlee’s go, the Blue Devils will go. They need the Z mid-season enlightment pill.

wilson
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
As far as your statement quoted above, while Mason certainly has been rebounding better than Miles this season, and both Mason and Ryan appear to be better shot blockers, Ryan does not "help us out more on the boards" than Miles. Miles rebounds at a rate of 10.97 rebounds per 40 minutes, while Ryan is only rebounding at a rate of 7.78 rebounds per 40. That's a significant advantage to Miles.Furthermore, I don't think any of the three is a good enough shot-blocker for that to serve as a legitimate basis of comparison between them.

UrinalCake
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Almost half of your rebounds on the offensive end is incredible. This takes two things, first positioning but I think even more is tenaciousness that when that ball comes off the rim, it is mine. He was relentless in getting that rebound.

Well the other part of it is that Z knew he wasn't going to be shooting the ball, so he could keep himself in rebounding position all the time. When you don't have to worry about establishing position to receive a pass, you can stay between your defender and the basket and then already be in position when a shot goes up.

The Plumlees, by contrast, are expected to be more involved in the offense. Even though their scoring has not taken off, they do work to have the ball move through them on offense. Also, our shooting percentage was pretty low last year, which meant more offensive boards were available.

Kedsy
01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Furthermore, I don't think any of the three is a good enough shot-blocker for that to serve as a legitimate basis of comparison between them.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Ryan is 7th in the ACC in block percentage, and Mason is 12th. Ryan averages 3.33 blocks per 40 minutes and Mason averages 2.70, which are both pretty healthy numbers.

CDu
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Well the other part of it is that Z knew he wasn't going to be shooting the ball, so he could keep himself in rebounding position all the time. When you don't have to worry about establishing position to receive a pass, you can stay between your defender and the basket and then already be in position when a shot goes up.

The Plumlees, by contrast, are expected to be more involved in the offense. Even though their scoring has not taken off, they do work to have the ball move through them on offense. Also, our shooting percentage was pretty low last year, which meant more offensive boards were available.

I don't think I agree with this. I don't think Zoubek was any less involved in the offense than the Plumlees are this year. While Zoubek wasn't looking to shoot, he was doing a LOT of screening at the top of the key for our shooters. So it's not like he was just camping out under the basket hunting for rebounds. He did a heck of a lot of work to get those boards.

Also, shooting percentage differences do not account for Zoub's advantage on the boards. While there may or may not be more opportunities (remember - we also played at a slower pace last year which would offset a lower percentage, if such a percentage difference was actually the case), his offensive rebound percentage last year was about double the percentage for either Plumlee this year. So in terms of probability of rebounding an available offensive rebound, Zoubek was much better, even after controlling for any differences in opportunities.

That's not to badmouth the Plumlees. They aren't terrible offensive rebounders. They just aren't as good at it as Zoubek. But Zoubek was a phenomenal offensive rebounder. He was literally the best in the country at it last year. That's a testament to his size, his hustle, his timing, and his court awareness.

mgtr
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Seems like tonight Miles answered the question. No, nothing wrong, and Coach K loves me.

NSDukeFan
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Seems like tonight Miles answered the question. No, nothing wrong, and Coach K loves me.

Lock this thread, Miles is back. Great to see.

BleedsP287
01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Awesome to see Miles have a good game tonight. I hope he can build on it, sure would love to see all of our bigs play the rest of the year the way they played tonight.

OZ
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
All Miles needed was a little "pine tonic" and a little loving - plus a big hug.

What we had here was a classic example of "getting your mind right."

Miles is going to be fine.

1991 duke law
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Miles played beautifully tonight. It was a pleasure to see. Between the Plumlees and Ryan the Duke bigs looked great tonight. If they could only bring this every night, the balance would be a wonderful thing.

miramar
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Miles earned that hug from Coach K. Miles's smile said it all.

JasonEvans
01-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Lock this thread, Miles is back. Great to see.

Naah, not gonna lock it if only so all the folks who said unflattering things can come back and make amends....

But I am gonna change the thread title ;)

-Jason "title change was as simple as adding one key word ;) " Evans

Starter
01-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Not to be a killjoy, but Miles had scored 14 points combined in the past five games before scoring 11 tonight against a decidedly mediocre State team. The good part is that the schedule stays pretty much easy until Feb. 2, so hopefully he can build on this performance against teams he should have a physical advantage against.

jammsb
01-20-2011, 06:01 AM
I think this MC State team is anything but mediocre. They are young and inexperienced and still have a lot to learn, but they are far from mediocre.

oldnavy
01-20-2011, 06:29 AM
I think this MC State team is anything but mediocre. They are young and inexperienced and still have a lot to learn, but they are far from mediocre.

State is anything but mediocre. They are a very talented bunch that are very young and are having to learn as they go. I would not want to face them in March. Having said that, I am not sure that anything was ever really wrong with Miles. He probably was suffering from a little lack confidence which lead to some passive play.

The way coach K hugged him tonight makes me think that he was saying "see, I told you that you could do this"... Plus, K needed Miles tonight to offset some of NCSU size, which really was not as big an issue in the previous couple of games.

The most impressive play of the night to me or at least the play that made me yell the loudest was when Miles got a put back and one. He got an O rebound and DID NOT HESITATE to go straight back up strong and put the ball in. This is something that has been missing, hopefully he learned and gained some confidence moving forward that he can do this.

What is up with Mason blocking all those shots!! Wow that was a very pleasent surprise and talk about a real game changer. A lot of those chippies that NCSCU missed in the game were a direct result of altered shots or the fear of an altered shot....

Great game by the brothers Plumlee!!!

And a shout out to Ryan, his shot looked so much smoother tonight.... he actually looked like he was shooting the balll rather that pushing it towards the basket as he has a little lately....

dukeimac
01-20-2011, 06:31 AM
I said it before, Miles is / was working through some self-confidence issues.

With the hug from Coach K, I'm hoping he is over it BUT, and that is a big BUT, he might not be over it, it was just one game.

It really helps that their next game is against Wake. Everyone should continue to roll in that game and the self-confidence should grow even more. The key is to continue growing that self-condifence.

jv001
01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
I said it before, Miles is / was working through some self-confidence issues.

With the hug from Coach K, I'm hoping he is over it BUT, and that is a big BUT, he might not be over it, it was just one game.

It really helps that their next game is against Wake. Everyone should continue to roll in that game and the self-confidence should grow even more. The key is to continue growing that self-condifence.

but it was against a team that has given us fits in Raleigh. If some posters can get upset and bash some players over one or two bad games, then it's ok to get excited to see these same players get some praise in a game like this one. I know it's a big "if" but I don't think Miles' play has been that bad. He just seemed to lose some confidence and get down on himself. This was a team win as everyone contributed. Now let's bury Wake and get another conference road win. Go Duke!

GODUKEGO
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Title this under "TOUGH LOVE"

CharlestonDevil
01-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Title this under "TOUGH LOVE"

I think the person who sums it up best is Miles:

"He just makes you want to run through a wall for him."
-MP1 on Coach K from Duke Basketball All Access

wilko
01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
For the record, I dont think I ever Bagged on Miles in this thread..
But I would have to say this is a definate sign of progress for him personally; and in the right direction for the team overall.

Nice to see alot of guys make substantial contributions.

JH and TT getting some work.
RK and AD playing solid and being verry efficient in their roles

I just wish SC could pull out o his mini funk...

Overall VERY Encoraged if we can replicate that performance with some consistency then we'll be in fine shape for the rest of the season. Set for a Tourney run.. (NOTE: run not title)

IF KI comes back.... adding him back to the mix could set us over the top.. even if his game has some expected rust.

But if we keep this up, then Im liking our chances w/o him better.

Early on it seemed like the team was kinda watching KI do his thing. This is forcing other guys to grow and contribute and not depend on someone else. And Today... I like what I see. Next game may be a different story... but overall Progress in the right direction.

Starter
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Via Pomeray ratings, NC State is 11-6, 1-5 against teams in the top 100, 113th in defensive efficiency and near the bottom of the entire country in turnover and free throw percentages. State is not exactly John Wooden-era UCLA.

I do agree with several posters that Duke doesn't always play well in Raleigh, going back quite a while. I remember going to two games there in 2000 and '01, when Duke had two absolutely loaded teams, and they won nail-biters by a combined 11. And of course, there's last year's game, before Zoubek's transformation, in which Miles started and played a scoreless 10 minutes. He was very good last night, particularly in comparison.

Note that I haven't once killed Miles on this site. (Seriously, go back and look.) I just like keeping things in perspective, and keeping my expectations in check. Miles had 19 and 14 in a win over Wake Forest last year. He then scored a combined 19 in his next 10 games. Hopefully last night built some confidence for him that he can get rolling a bit, but I'd like to see a few more games with positive contributions before saying he's figured it out. Of course, if this is the Miles we get consistently, that's a very good thing.

Devilsfan
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Maybe Miles has a new girlfriend or maybe his diet changed but he was focussed last night and boy what a difference. Too bad they're playing the team? from Winston Salem next because I would love to see them against a really good team and see if they can duplicate their most recent performance. I wish we were playing tOSU team Saturday instead of the lowly Deacs.

Scorp4me
01-20-2011, 11:37 AM
As I mentioned earlier, last year both Plumlee's had monster games against Wake Forest and I was excited. Duke finally had an inside game and I thought state had no chance. Of course we followed it up with a loss. This year both Plumlee's had monster games against State and we're following it up against Wake. Now if we lose this one we're in trouble, but I do hope they follow it up with another consistently positive game. A huge step forward if we get good play for our interior guys.

And State's record may not show it, the stats may not show it, but they definitely have some talent. Reminded me of a younger brother that just wouldn't go away no matter how much you pressed them. Felt like if the game had lasted another 40 minutes they still would have kept cutting in to the lead and falling back, cutting into the lead and falling back.

mkirsh
01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I think the person who sums it up best is Miles:

"He just makes you want to run through a wall for him."
-MP1 on Coach K from Duke Basketball All Access

I couldn't read Coach K's lips last night, but I'm pretty sure he called Miles an "effing selfish MFer" when we came off the court.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I couldn't read Coach K's lips last night, but I'm pretty sure he called Miles an "effing selfish MFer" when we came off the court.

Too funny.

4decadedukie
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas. With this succinct post, i hope to catch up.

I have been somewhat critical of Miles' (and Mason's) recent performances; for that matter, I have not felt our team has played with sufficient intensity and tenacity in several recent outings (especially, Miami, FSU, and the first half of the Virginia game). While I do not retract any of these opinions, I was very pleased with the Plums, with Duke's aggregate performance and with evident attitudes/teamwork/savvy in yesterday's NCSU victory (and, for that matter, the second half of last Saturday's UVa game).

Regardless of the reasons, I now feel we are playing with improved TEAM offense and particularly defense. WELL DONE!!!

cptnflash
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas. With this succinct post, i hope to catch up.

I have been somewhat critical of Miles' (and Mason's) recent performances; for that matter, I have not felt our team has played with sufficient intensity and tenacity in several recent outings (especially, Miami, FSU, and the first half of the Virginia game). While I do not retract any of these opinions, I was very pleased with the Plums, with Duke's aggregate performance and with evident attitudes/teamwork/savvy in yesterday's NCSU victory (and, for that matter, the second half of last Saturday's UVa game).

Regardless of the reasons, I now feel we are playing with improved TEAM offense and particularly defense. WELL DONE!!!

I echo these sentiments, as well as those from several posters hoping that this doesn't turn out to be last year's Wake Forest game for the Plumlees (i.e., the high point of the year by far).

I'm still not convinced on Miles, but I'm starting to become cautiously optimistic about Mason. This is three straight good games defensively. The offense will come (and we don't need that much of it anyway) if he keeps his head on straight and continues to play good position defense without fouling. Keep it up, Mason!

mgtr
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I just returned from three days on business in Akron/Canton, Ohio, and have been unable to join in our DBR digital community, due to security policies that restrict laptop use in certain areas.!

Clearly, this is the same guy on the ad who says "I work in national security. I really can't say anymore."

gumbomoop
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
The most impressive play of the night to me or at least the play that made me yell the loudest was when Miles got a put back and one. He got an O rebound and DID NOT HESITATE to go straight back up strong and put the ball in.

The bench did explode with enthusiasm at that play.

I'd point to another great play which led to K giving Miles a very positive "great job" during a timeout. At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.

gep
01-22-2011, 01:01 AM

I'd point to another great play which led to K giving Miles a very positive "great job" during a timeout. At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.

I saw that too... subtle, but I think, effective. Coach K made a concerted effort to reach over Nolan for that tap to Miles. Priceless:cool:

4decadedukie
01-22-2011, 06:14 AM
The bench did explode with enthusiasm at that play.

At the 9:30 mark of the first half, State had a 3-2 fast break and the State player attempted to lob the ball for an open layup. Miles, trailing the play slightly, sprinted and lunged up to bat the ball to a teammate, thus saving a sure 2. The bench cheered this great hustle play. Next timeout, K's love-tap to Miles, to show both him and the team that that's the kind of play that wins games, and PT.

I renumber that play and thought it was a superb effort -- both athletically and in terms of mental readiness; Battieresqe, and that is the highest defensive praise.