01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I was yelling for kyrie to sit down!!

haha WHY?!?

I absolutely loves how into the games our bench gets. :D

blazindw
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
http://twitpic.com/3qc1t5

Nolan's dunk is in my top ten all time.

Hairston's reaction is in my top ten all time too!

grossbus
01-15-2011, 05:44 PM
So he wouldn't get his toe stepped on!

DukeBlueHeart4
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
So he wouldn't get his toe stepped on!

Good point...or hurt someone else with that walking boot. My roommate in college had one at one point I'm sure you can do damage with those things!

grc5
01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
DUNK

OF

THE

YEAR

absolutely ferocious

YourLandlord
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Hairston's reaction is in my top ten all time too!
No way, I hate that reaction.

It's entirely fabricated. He's doing the "hold everyone back so they stay on the bench and we don't get a penalty."

Look, no one is going to run onto the court in celebration and give Nolan a hi five and get in trouble.

It's one of those things where people see it done on TV so many times they start instantly doing it themselves. There is nothing genuine to it.

Leave it for the #15 seed in March who hits a three in the second half to trim #2's lead to 11 points.

I am ALL FOR the players going ballistic on the bench. That "bend down and hold people back" move is just silly and frankly unoriginal.

rthomas
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM

It's entirely fabricated. He's doing the "hold everyone back so they stay on the bench and we don't get a penalty."

Look, no one is going to run onto the court in celebration and give Nolan a hi five and get in trouble.

It's one of those things where people see it done on TV so many times they start instantly doing it themselves. There is nothing genuine to it.

Leave it for the #15 seed in March who hits a three in the second half to trim #2's lead to 11 points.

I am ALL FOR the players going ballistic on the bench. That "bend down and hold people back" move is just silly and frankly unoriginal.

wow, another way to kill the party.

HateCarolina
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

I think part of it is the great face Josh is making, not just the "hold the bench back" maneuver. Either way why so harsh??? :confused:

Late Addition: Now I remember who you wanted to see cheering behind the bench. :)

moonpie23
01-15-2011, 06:26 PM
wow, another way to kill the party.

unfortunately, i agree with yll.......i hate it when other teams do it and i wish we didn't do it..

BD80
01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I think part of it is the great face Josh is making, not just the "hold the bench back" maneuver. Either way why so harsh??? :confused:

It is know as the "hold the board back maneuver," intended to dampen enthusiasm and minimize enjoyment on internet bulletin boards.

HateCarolina
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
It is know as the "hold the board back maneuver," intended to dampen enthusiasm and minimize enjoyment on internet bulletin boards.

You literally made me cackle here...glad the family is out of town otherwise they would have thought dad lost his mind!!!:o

Andy7207
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Seriously? I LOVE that reaction, it makes them all seem energized and ready to storm the court. How awesome would the atmosphere be if it constantly felt like the crazies were going to storm the court and we had to hold everyone back? The energy would be amazing. I don't see a problem with the bench players doing it -- much better than just jumping or clapping.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmm. Looks to me as though Kyrie is holding Hairston back. Not the other way around. At any rate, it was an extremely emotional moment in the game so cut them some slack, you party poopers. It's not like they dance around and act like that all the time, acting goofy at the drop of a hat like some neighbors who shall remain nameless. Most of the time this team is all serious and workmanlike, bless their hearts.
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
01-15-2011, 07:35 PM

I am not a fan of showboating by any means. But that dunk was NASTY. My wife was holding me back, and I'm a bit long in the tooth as is. These kids had just been !@#$@#$ out by K at half, and the LEADER of the team went abso-freakin-lutely nuclear. Let kids be kids.

Mike Corey
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Hairston actually got the move from Frank Costanza.

juise
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Hairston actually got the move from Frank Costanza.

And he shouldn't be scolded for using it unless he tries it on Estelle, IMO.

jv001
01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
And he shouldn't be scolded for using it unless he tries it on Estelle, IMO.

I'm for celebrating as long as no one does the danny green dance. Go Duke!

Spy
01-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Here's a good pic I found. Even Austin is pumped!

SupaDave
01-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Wow. Did Buzz Killington enter the room? And to be honest, there's a reason some players hold their teammates back. It's called a technical foul.

Lord Ash
01-15-2011, 11:21 PM
The "hold back" is also a way to pseudo-hug in celebration I believe... just not as huggy.

SupaDave
01-15-2011, 11:51 PM
The "hold back" is also a way to pseudo-hug in celebration I believe... just not as huggy.

Maybe you mean this huggy... LOL!

OldPhiKap
01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Maybe you mean this huggy... LOL!

"I don't know nuthin -- but word on the steet is that Nolan's got game."

diveonthefloor
01-16-2011, 06:47 AM

For a second there, I thought you were serious.....:cool:

JG Nothing
01-16-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm more or less indifferent about "holding" people back on the bench, but there is a similar discussion on another board.
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1081053&sid=e2d8e5804d05638ffd933f0d1d51359d
Some of the videos and pictures are pretty funny. It is definitely an act sort of like Fred Sanford having a heart attack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM&feature=related

dukelilsis
01-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I, for one, loved both the dunk and the reaction. The Trio seems to have a camaraderie that is as stong as any I've witnessed in a freshman class. It's also obvious that they all look up to Nolan as a big brother. To see them get this excited over his dunk is great! I also think it speaks volumes about Kyrie's character that he gets so pepped over a great play by one of his teammates. A lot of kids his age would be in such a "why me" state that you would never see such vivacious support from them on the sidelines.

DukeGirl4ever
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I, for one, loved both the dunk and the reaction. The Trio seems to have a camaraderie that is as stong as any I've witnessed in a freshman class. It's also obvious that they all look up to Nolan as a big brother. To see them get this excited over his dunk is great! I also think it speaks volumes about Kyrie's character that he gets so pepped over a great play by one of his teammates. A lot of kids his age would be in such a "why me" state that you would never see such vivacious support from them on the sidelines.

Have you seen the latest episode of Duke Hoop 2.2?
The trio REALLY look like they enjoy each other. All three of them are really funny, goofy kids that seem to enjoy the entire college experience. What a great thing to see! (And I'm hoping that bodes well for Kyrie coming back.) :o
I don't want that to sound selfish, but Kyrie (and also Josh and Tyler) are so much fun to watch.

superdave
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Here's a good pic I found. Even Austin is pumped!

Yep, Austin Rivers is coming to Duke. Thaaaaat's right.

nyr484
01-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Can't we just enjoy an awesome slam dunk and a raucous bench celebration without a debate breaking out over the merits of the celebration?
Enjoy:
http://5-hole.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ohshiohshi.gif

SupaDave
01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Have you seen the latest episode of Duke Hoop 2.2?
The trio REALLY look like they enjoy each other. All three of them are really funny, goofy kids that seem to enjoy the entire college experience. What a great thing to see! (And I'm hoping that bodes well for Kyrie coming back.) :o
I don't want that to sound selfish, but Kyrie (and also Josh and Tyler) are so much fun to watch.

Thanks for mentioning Duke Hoop 2.2. I am now subscribed.

OldPhiKap
01-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Can't we just enjoy an awesome slam dunk and a raucous bench celebration without a debate breaking out over the merits of the celebration?
Enjoy:
http://5-hole.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ohshiohshi.gif

The funniest thing about the whole clip is that, while the entire place is coming unglued, K is calm and arguing for the foul. Talk about focused.

Dr. Tina
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I could watch the Trio's reaction, especially Jiggy Hairston, all day. I think it's great! I am so happy we have those 3 on our team. They really love Duke and are totally into our team!

dukeluv
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Yea Coach K arguing for the foul is just priceless.......

lpd1982
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
The manuever may be copied, but the enthusiasm is genuine. Bet Ol Roy would love to bottle some of that intensity for his starters.

gep
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
The manuever may be copied, but the enthusiasm is genuine. Bet Ol Roy would love to bottle some of that intensity for his starters.

The best thing about it... they are the 3 freshmen. Imagine, only at Duke for a few months, and already they are the team's biggest cheerleaders :cool:

Kfanarmy
01-17-2011, 04:33 PM
anyone have a clip of the actual dunk?

rthomas
01-17-2011, 04:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QhBxD6hgk&feature=player_embedded

nyr484
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Here's the dunk with game sound rather than ESPN voiceover (it's play #1, about 50 seconds in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnwk54n53nY

mapei
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I actually thought there was a foul on that play and Nolan was going to get an and-1. Course I was watching from the other end of the court and maybe engaging in some wishful thinking. But, still, it's hard to see how there was no contact there.

Faison1
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

Here comes the Fun Police! Bew-whew, Bew-whew!

Sorry....couldn't resist. That's what I say to my wife all the time.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Here's the dunk with game sound rather than ESPN voiceover (it's play #1, about 50 seconds in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnwk54n53nY

At the end of that BluePlanet clip (right at the 3:30 mark), Hairston is still in shock over the dunk. He cracks me up.