PDA

View Full Version : David Falk

NovaScotian
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
in an interview somewhere, i heard coach mike say that he was represented by nba superagent david falk (who some blame for the 90's nba lockouts). i'm curious if anyone knows if he represents and current dukes in the nba. i know arn tellum represents redick (and lee melchionni works for tellum, too), but in this hypersensitive environment where everyone is worried about agents' improper influence on college athletes is there any worry about these agents representing the players' coaches?

to be clear, i'm not pointing figures at duke program but really just thinking about a larger situation.

JasonEvans
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Falk has represented a number of Duke players over the years including Danny Ferry, who he got a sweet deal for back in the late 80s, early 90s.

He has slowed down a bit as an agent in recent years and currently only represents a small number of NBA players (compared to the 90s when he rep'd something like 40 NBA players at a time). He currently represents Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, but there are a lot of other Dukies who are not on his roster of clients.

The most prominent current Dukies in the NBA are not Falk clients:

JJ Redick, Josh McRoberts, Shelden Williams, Mike Dunleavey - Arn Tellem
Shane Battier, Grant Hill - Lon Babby
Dahntay Jones -Aaron Mintz
Gerald Henderson - BJ Armstrong

-Jason "much of this info comes from memory, but a fair bit also comes from this wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Falk#Partial_client_list) and the rest comes from HoopsHype.com's agent page (http://hoopshype.com/agents.htm)" Evans

-jk
01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
They go way back. I believe Falk's daughter went to Duke and is an advisor to the Emily K center.

-jk

Starter
01-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I remember seeing Falk in the back when he was visiting Krzyzewski after a game my Junior year (1999-2000) and talking to him a bit. Polite, very terse, all-business.

I don't actually think there'd be anything wrong with a coach endorsing his agent to a prospective NBA player under his control, provided the player had already made the decision to go professional. Krzyzewski has from all accounts had a long personal and business relationship with Falk, and presumably trusts him. If someone solicits his opinion, I'd imagine he'd have good things to say about Falk, as would either John Thompson, etc.

That said, unless I'm missing anyone, the only Duke clients of Falk have been Brand, Dawkins, Ferry, Hurley, Maggette and McLeod. Considering the sheer amount of Duke players that have made the pros in the Krzyzewski era and how many NBA clients Falk has had, I wouldn't call that disproportionate.

Interestingly, I counted a whopping 18 players from Georgetown with Falk, basically anyone with any value, spanning several decades.