PDA

View Full Version : Has a Duke player ever been in trouble during the season?

wgl1228
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I was reading an article about Mario Little of Kansas and thinking about how all of these kids that have off the court issues are always given a second, third, and fourth chance by thier coaches. Has Duke ever had someone in trouble during the season and if so how did K deal with it and if not how do you think he would?

wilson
01-11-2011, 07:49 PM
It depends on what you mean by "trouble"...we've had a handful of players over the years run into academic entanglements, and I seem to remember a certain sharpshooter once finding himself in warmish (if not hot) water regarding a certain herbal refreshment, but there really hasn't been anything major during a season that I can recall.
If it were to come to pass, I suspect that K would address it in the same manner as would his alma mater in West Point...that is to say, ahem, sternly. Here's hoping we never find out.

Bluedevil114
01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Reggie Love had an off-court incident at a UNC party that got him suspended during the season. I also remember some things during the off season with JJ Redick that got him in a little hot water with the coach.

1991 duke law
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Reggie Love had an off-court incident at a UNC party that got him suspended during the season. I also remember some things during the off season with JJ Redick that got him in a little hot water with the coach.

That's what happens when you go to UNC parties I guess.

GODUKEGO
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
It is funny that you posted this today. I was reading the ESPN headlines from the basketball page today and thought how good it feels to be a Blue Devil fan.

These are from just today!!

Washington men's basketball coach Lorenzo Romar said Tuesday the school is aware of a police investigation "about an allegation in regards to one of our student-athletes."

Mario Little, the senior forward for No. 3 Kansas who missed six games after being charged in a fight, has been cleared to play

The Gophers are sticking with leading scorer and rebounder Trevor Mbakwe despite his arrest for allegedly violating a restraining order filed against the junior forward.

Pearl has been suspended for the first eight Southeastern Conference games by league commissioner Mike Slive after lying to NCAA investigators during an ongoing probe into Tennessee's recruiting practices.

LSanders
01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Hot water ... herbal refreshment ... I never did trust Celestial Seasonings!!!

ElSid
01-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Seems to have really put a dent in his career, behaving like that. That was nothing...which is to say, not illegal. Just embarrassing. And an example of a kid having too much fun one night and exhibiting pretty poor judgment. Happens to the best of us and we move on.

It's nice to say there have never been any serious incidents. Hope it continues.

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Seems to have really put a dent in his career, behaving like that.

Indeed. No way to get Secret Service clearance with an incident like that on your record. ;)

Merlindevildog91
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I remember Alaa bouncing a check, and I think having to go to court over it.

In the April 1, 1989 (I believe that's the year; I'm certain it was the April Fool's Day paper) Chronicle, aka Daily Tar Hole, one of the "events" listed was a seminar in balancing a checkbook, taught by Alaa.

Starter
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
IIRC, Greg Newton and Ricky Price were both suspended for cheating in consecutive years.

johnb
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I think I'd rather this thread perpetuate itself on IC. Why repeat our own guys' indiscretions?

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 12:08 AM
(post withdrawn)

Namtilal
01-12-2011, 02:51 AM
Art Heyman punched the opposing coach! In a wild melee that was, I think, started by him, too. I assume some suspensions followed. However, that has gone from improper to legendary, so I'm not sure it fits this thread. Oh yeah, and that guy he punched...

Chris4UNC
01-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I don't remember too much trouble or at least nothing too serious. Of course what one considers trouble is all a matter of opinion. I imagine Duke would handle it as graciously and yet sternly as possible.

Chris4UNC
01-12-2011, 06:58 AM
It is funny that you posted this today. I was reading the ESPN headlines from the basketball page today and thought how good it feels to be a Blue Devil fan.

These are from just today!!

Washington men's basketball coach Lorenzo Romar said Tuesday the school is aware of a police investigation "about an allegation in regards to one of our student-athletes."

Mario Little, the senior forward for No. 3 Kansas who missed six games after being charged in a fight, has been cleared to play

The Gophers are sticking with leading scorer and rebounder Trevor Mbakwe despite his arrest for allegedly violating a restraining order filed against the junior forward.

Pearl has been suspended for the first eight Southeastern Conference games by league commissioner Mike Slive after lying to NCAA investigators during an ongoing probe into Tennessee's recruiting practices.

Duke is not, however, immune. I would hope that none of Duke's student-athletes would ever be involved in any trouble. I have to ask though, is it that they are all keeping their nose clean or is simply that none of them have been caught? With so much coming out about so many college athletes it make me wonder. We have to face it, kids will be and.....are kids. Don't take for granted that the Devils are all innocents. That ivory tower may come crashing down.

captmojo
01-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Art Heyman punched the opposing coach! In a wild melee that was, I think, started by him, too. I assume some suspensions followed. However, that has gone from improper to legendary, so I'm not sure it fits this thread. Oh yeah, and that guy he punched...

One, or many others, may beg to differ. :cool:

BD80
01-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Reggie Love had an off-court incident at a UNC party that got him suspended during the season. ...

I have been thinking about that incient recently, I wonder if Reggie has availed himself of his boss's executive authority for a bit of retribution? If not yet, hopefully he will in the last month of BO's tenure (2 or 6 years from now).

sagegrouse
01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Uh, I was there, and it was a little different than that. There was a play under the UNC basket where Art grabbed Larry Brown of UNC (yeah, that Larry Brown) around the shoulders to prevent him from making a layup, which was not an intentional foul then. Brown took exception and threw a punch. As fellow Lon Guylanders, this was probably not the first time they had had an on-court altercation. At that time the team benches were under the basket, and the episode occurred in front of the UNC bench. A disgraceful scrum ensued, and Art claimed to have kneed UNC coach Frank McGuire in the, um, nether regions. Art was suspended for a game or two, which cost Duke in the ACC tourney that year.

There was some more jurisprudence involving Art, and it was a pile of junk. A year or so later, at a UNC game at Duke the Duke team was running off the court at halftime, and a UNC male cheerleader ran up into the line and appeared to yell something in Art's face. Art grabbed the guy twerp by his shoulders and pushed him aside, but not in a violent way. Anyhoo, a UNC alum in the stands (which were about one-third UNC fans when the teams played) accused Heyman of assault, and there was a spate of articles on the subject. A judge eventually threw the charge out of court. This was a totally trumped-up charge.

sagegrouse

Namtilal
01-12-2011, 12:58 PM
You were there?!?! My mother was at the game where Juan Marichal clobbered the catcher with his bat before charging the mound. The game you were at was even better! You're even cooler than my mom! (I have never used those words before as an authentic compliment, but this time, it fits.)