PDA

View Full Version : Best Movies of 2010

Udaman
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM
It's been a lousy year for movies, but a few have stood out. I would now rank my movies of 2010 as

1) Toy Story 3
2) The Fighter
3) True Grit
4) 127 Hours
5) The Social Network
6) The Kids Are All Right
7) Harry Potter - Part 7, Part 1
8) Despicable Me
9) Inception
10) How to Train Your Dragon

I have not seen Black Swan, The Town or The King's Speech yet. I guess I could see them jumping a few near the bottom, but would have a hard time seeing them in the top 6.

In my bottom few movies I would have

Skyline
Tron
Iron Man 2
Clash of the Titans
Shutter Island
The Tourist

and for my guilty pleasures, I would put

Hot Tub Time Machine
Unstoppable
Tangled
Prince of Persia (which was actually fun to watch, much more fun than Iron Man 2)

Tommac
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
My favorite 2010 movies were 1) Inception 2) True Grit 3) Harry Potter and 4) Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

throatybeard
01-12-2011, 09:50 AM
1) Winter's Bone

2 or lower) everything else, including True Grit, which was superb.

weezie
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
1) Winter's Bone

2 or lower) everything else, including True Grit, which was superb.

I'm with Throaty. Winter's Bone was spell-binding.
True Grit was entertaining and great fun to watch.
Toy Story 3, very sweet in a good way.

127 Hours, still to scared too go see it :eek:

snowdenscold
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
You thought Shutter Island was one of the worst movies of the year?

Duke: A Dynasty
01-13-2011, 04:55 AM
My favs:
Hp7 part 1
Prince of Persia
Tron

Dissapointing:
Toy Story 3 (garbage)

JBDuke
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Dissapointing:
Toy Story 3 (garbage)

Certainly, you're entitled to your opinion, but could you please explain why you thought "Toy Story 3" was garbage? I agree with most of the other folks I've read and heard that thought it was excellent, and truly worthy of other great films from Disney/Pixar.

brevity
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Certainly, you're entitled to your opinion, but could you please explain why you thought "Toy Story 3" was garbage? I agree with most of the other folks I've read and heard that thought it was excellent, and truly worthy of other great films from Disney/Pixar.

Not my comment, but I saw it on DVD last week and am not feeling the near-unanimous acclaim either.

I think it's a good, well-written film that positively answers the question, "After all these years, did a continuation of this story need to be made?" But on the Pixar barometer of consistent excellence, I see it as middle of the pack.

I had heard, here at DBR over the summer and in other places, how occasionally devastating and full of emotional impact this film was. So, with that expectation going in, I felt it pulled its punches a bit. I thought (non-spoiler alert!) that Buzz as we knew him was a goner, either destroyed by that falling object or with his memory/experiences permanently gone (like Data in Star Trek: Nemesis, but with more at stake, really). And the view from inside the box slot of Andy leaving his car was a cheat, albeit an effective one.

After this and Up (ten minutes of brilliance that everyone remembers, followed by 80 minutes of weirdness that everyone forgets), it seems like the Pixar formula has switched from entertaining everyone to just making adults cry. And with a Cars sequel and a live-action film on deck, I don't have high hopes that the studio will be back in form with original animated material anytime soon.

DukeUsul
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Toy Story 3.

But in the expert opinion of my almost-three-year-old, it's vastly inferior to Toy Story 2. TS2 is so good that it merits repeat watching, back-to-back-to-back, yet TS3 barely deserves watching.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
it seems like the Pixar formula has switched from entertaining everyone to just making adults cry.

Well, their formula definitely worked on my wife and I. We were both bawling at the end of TS3 coming to realization that our 4 and 0 year olds would indeed eventually grow up.

JBDuke
01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Not my comment, but I saw it on DVD last week and am not feeling the near-unanimous acclaim either.

I think it's a good, well-written film that positively answers the question, "After all these years, did a continuation of this story need to be made?" But on the Pixar barometer of consistent excellence, I see it as middle of the pack.

I had heard, here at DBR over the summer and in other places, how occasionally devastating and full of emotional impact this film was. So, with that expectation going in, I felt it pulled its punches a bit. I thought (non-spoiler alert!) that Buzz as we knew him was a goner, either destroyed by that falling object or with his memory/experiences permanently gone (like Data in Star Trek: Nemesis, but with more at stake, really). And the view from inside the box slot of Andy leaving his car was a cheat, albeit an effective one.

After this and Up (ten minutes of brilliance that everyone remembers, followed by 80 minutes of weirdness that everyone forgets), it seems like the Pixar formula has switched from entertaining everyone to just making adults cry. And with a Cars sequel and a live-action film on deck, I don't have high hopes that the studio will be back in form with original animated material anytime soon.

Absolutely fair. I disagree somewhat, but I can understand why some folks would make it a middle-of-the-pack Pixar movie - which, IMO, still makes it better than 90% of the other films out there. I could even understand why some folks just wouldn't like it and call it a mediocre film.

But "garbage"? That characterization is hard for me to understand.

Udaman
01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
You thought Shutter Island was one of the worst movies of the year?

I did. It just didn't do anything for me. The music was way overdone. The storyline was so "been there, seen that." The ending had no emotional impact, and the plot (in retrospect) didn't make any sense.

By worst, I guess I'm including "massive disappointment," and this one was - at least to me.

Tommac
01-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I won't debate the merits of Toy Story 3 regarding film making, but as a father who had just sent his only child to college a few weeks before, it was a powerful emotional movie for me.

DevilAlumna
01-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I saw it on DVD last week and am not feeling the near-unanimous acclaim either.

Wow, I could have written this and it'd be true, word for word.

Thread jack: Any word on Incredibles 2? It sounds like Brad Bird has kind of moved on from animation for the time being; I look forward to seeing what he comes up with, but hope he finds his way back to Pixar at some point.

01-16-2011, 03:39 AM

OK sorry I did not elaborate. But basically what brevity said except for the high expectation part. I came in remembering my childhood years watching and then I watched and felt like they just ruined the series which was a blow to my childhood memories of Toy Story.

aimo
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I agree with Winter's Bone. Very well done. Of course, as always, the book was even better.

davekay1971
01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I finally got around to watching Inception last night, and came away absolutely impressed. I've heard plenty of complaints that it was hard to follow, but I thought they did a masterful job of interweaving the action between four concurrent and interdependent timelines and doing in a way that was wildly entertaining and possible to follow.

If you can suspend disbelief to accept the notion that what they're doing is remotely possible (which, being a lifelong fantasy/sci-fi geek, I can), then it's a very fun ride. Funny enough, while I'm able to say, ok, yeah, they're sharing and manipulating the deep subconscious, the logic flaw that most bugged me was that the one multi-millionaire industrialist on the plane didn't recognize the other one sitting across the aisle from him...

Udaman
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
By the way - saw The Fighter again over the weekend (first movie I've seen twice in a theater in a long while)....and it's just as good a 2nd time. This is the best boxing movie since Rocky....and perhaps the best sports movie as well since that time (though there have been some great baseball movies).

If you haven't seen it...you should.

Duvall
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
By the way - saw The Fighter again over the weekend (first movie I've seen twice in a theater in a long while)....and it's just as good a 2nd time. This is the best boxing movie since Rocky....and perhaps the best sports movie as well since that time (though there have been some great baseball movies).

If you haven't seen it...you should.

Perhaps, but I just can't take seriously the story of *yet another* scrappy white boxer. I'm sure the performances are great, but is there any part of this story that hasn't been told a thousand times?

Udaman
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
But this one is different, in that it really focuses on the peripheral characters (his brother, his mom, his girlfriend, his family). And the characters and acting are simply unbelievable (it's worth it to see it just for Bales' performance.....OR....just for Leo's performance. It is also highly, highly funny at parts.

Add all that to the typical boxing story, and you get (wait for it...wait for it) a knockout of a movie. Ba dum dum.

Seriously....can't say enough good things about this one.

DUKIECB
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
But this one is different, in that it really focuses on the peripheral characters (his brother, his mom, his girlfriend, his family). And the characters and acting are simply unbelievable (it's worth it to see it just for Bales' performance.....OR....just for Leo's performance. It is also highly, highly funny at parts.

Add all that to the typical boxing story, and you get (wait for it...wait for it) a knockout of a movie. Ba dum dum.

Seriously....can't say enough good things about this one.

Udaman is right. It's not your typical boxing movie, although some elements are present. Like he said, the story involves a lot of other characters who all add to the story. Bale is simply awesome. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. I thought it was a solid movie all the way around.

mac46
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I would actually have to disagree with the people who rated the new Harry Potter movie highly. It was visually great, but I walked out feeling like I hadn't seen a whole movie. It's like only watching the first half of The Fellowship of the Ring. You know it's going somewhere awesome, but it. They should've just sucked it up and made a 4 hour long movie.

JasonEvans
02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
They should've just sucked it up and made a 4 hour long movie.

But a 4 hour movie would cost almost twice as much to make as a 2 hour movie and make a lot less money at the boxoffice (fewer showing available).

Instead, they get to make probably twice or three times as much money for the same cost. It is a business no-brainer.

--Jason "I do agree that HP 7.1 felt a little blaaah" Evans

02-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I would actually have to disagree with the people who rated the new Harry Potter movie highly. It was visually great, but I walked out feeling like I hadn't seen a whole movie. It's like only watching the first half of The Fellowship of the Ring. You know it's going somewhere awesome, but it. They should've just sucked it up and made a 4 hour long movie.

I understand what you are saying but I like the idea of two movies. One whole movie probably would have skipped out on too much (which they already do anyway). But my favorite part is the buildup to the movies which I get to expierience one more time. The waiting in line again and talking about the movie before it comes out. I take my two younger sissters to every movie and we hang out with friends in line and what ever else.

mac46
02-03-2011, 12:20 AM
I understand what you are saying but I like the idea of two movies. One whole movie probably would have skipped out on too much (which they already do anyway). But my favorite part is the buildup to the movies which I get to expierience one more time. The waiting in line again and talking about the movie before it comes out. I take my two younger sissters to every movie and we hang out with friends in line and what ever else.

Well that I can absolutely understand. I remember those days in high school/at Duke. Unfortunately I'm in law school now, so I have no friends to enjoy that with. :(

bjornolf
02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

This happens with a lot of movies that are trying to "set up" the finale. The second Pirates of the Caribbean definitely felt that way to me.

tecumseh
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I live across the river from rural Missouri and have worked in the Ozarks and rural Missouri and I find Winter's Bones incredibly realistic and an incredible movie as well. There is a strength of character in some people that is truly remarkable. This is HUGE thumbs up and definite must see. Hope it wins best picture so people can enjoy it in the theaters again.

SoCalDukeFan
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I have only seen a few movies this but recently saw these 3 which I would rate in the same order as the title. I did like them all.

King's Speech to me was great. Here is a guy forced into a job he did not want and for which he had a condition that made him very unsuited for the job. If you were hiring a king you would never hire him. Well acted and historical.

I was not really looking forward to Black Swan and thought my wife would like it more than me. She found it strange. I think it was interesting and completely held my attention. Music was good as well.

The Fighter is well and very well acted. However I thought it was too much like other boxing movies. Nice to know it was based on a true story. Very impressed with the supporting cast.

SoCal

-bdbd
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
It's been a lousy year for movies, but a few have stood out. I would now rank my movies of 2010 as

1) Toy Story 3
2) The Fighter
3) True Grit
4) 127 Hours
5) The Social Network
6) The Kids Are All Right
7) Harry Potter - Part 7, Part 1
8) Despicable Me
9) Inception
10) How to Train Your Dragon

I have not seen Black Swan, The Town or The King's Speech yet. I guess I could see them jumping a few near the bottom, but would have a hard time seeing them in the top 6.

In my bottom few movies I would have

Skyline
Tron
Iron Man 2
Clash of the Titans
Shutter Island
The Tourist

My 2010 favorites:
The Fighter (not my typical genre, but I found it captivating)
Inception (yes, am totally vulnerable to these 'concept' movies)
The Social Network (it doesn't get more relevant/current for our time, society, culture)
The Town (a pleasant surprise; helps if you like Ben Affleck)
Tue Grit (fairly true to the original, well done western - not many of those these days)
King's Speech (a little slow, but very well acted, and engaging characters)
Unstoppable (I love Denzel, and this played to his strengths well)
Despicable Me (I have young kids - they adored this one)
Tangled (my kids are girls, 'nuff said...)
Toy Story 3 (certainly better than most movie sequels... and worthy)

You have all intrigued me re Winter's Bone. Will try to check it out. Was a bit squeamish about '127 Hours' initially, but will see it soon.

Good string. Thanks.