PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

77devil
01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok folks, it's Tuesday and no one has started discussing Duke's first conference contest away from the friendly confines of CIS. I haven't seen Florida State this year, but Leonard Hamilton's teams historically play physical, if not dirty, against Duke, particularly in Tallahassee.

FS beat Clemson at home and recently lost to VT in Blacksburg. It's played a very respectable OOC schedule beating Baylor with competitive loses against Butler and Florida, and, to a lesser extent, OSU. Ken Pom rates FS in the low 50's and the middle of the ACC with BC, Clemson, and Miami, and has Duke as a 12 point favorite.

I'm always a little anxious when we play at FS. What do you all think?

NSDukeFan
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I think I will be nervous before any conference road game (except for Wake.) I certainly do not expect to run away from FSU as I expect them to be tough to score against, as Hamilton's teams always are. Fortunately, I don't think they can score enough themselves to beat Duke, as their offense has been terrible this year (ranked 164th in the country according to KenPom vs. 133 for Wake.) Wow, after having seen Wake play a bit a couple of times this year, I am shocked to see Florida State ranked below them offensively. I expect it will be a low scoring game that keeps the score close, but I am hoping that Duke goes on a run by limiting Florida State's points for a stretch and/or creating turnovers (FSU turns the ball over 24.3% of the time, good for 311th in college basketball.)

flyingdutchdevil
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok folks, it's Tuesday and no one has started discussing Duke's first conference contest away from the friendly confines of CIS. I haven't seen Florida State this year, but Leonard Hamilton's teams historically play physical, if not dirty, against Duke, particularly in Tallahassee.

FS beat Clemson at home and recently lost to VT in Blacksburg. It's played a very respectable OOC schedule beating Baylor with competitive loses against Butler and Florida, and, to a lesser extent, OSU. Ken Pom rates FS in the low 50's and the middle of the ACC with BC, Clemson, and Miami, and has Duke as a 12 point favorite.

I'm always a little anxious when we play at FS. What do you all think?

Outside of the UNC game at Cameron, I am always a little more excited about away ACC games. I can't explain it - maybe it's watching how our team deals with pressure. Considering this is our first, I am extremely jittery about this one.

I think this will be an interesting test. According to KenPom, FSU is one of the top two defensive teams in the ACC (the other being UMD). With a player like Chris Singleton, who should again run away with the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, this team will limit Duke's chances as much as possible. Because of CS, I envision Singler playing a lot more 3 than usual. While I'm sure Singler can play Singleton just fine, Coach K loves those mismatches!

The good news is that FSU couldn't make a basket to save their lives. According to KenPom, they are the worst rated offensive team in the ACC (ranked 164 nationally. Ouch). That's worse than Wake Forest.

Despite Duke always playing it close in Tallahassee, I foresee Duke comfortably winning but having a low scoring game (Duke in the low 70s, FSU in the high 50s).

riverside6
01-11-2011, 09:56 AM
If you want to kill some time, you can use our Game Simulator to sim the Duke @ FSU game here...

Sim Duke @ FSU (http://www.scacchoops.com/GameSimulator.asp?HomeTeam=FS&HomeYear=2011&AwayTeam=DU&AwayYear=2011&ExcludePlayers=Kyrie%20Irving^Xavier%20Gibson)

You can read more about my Game Sim here (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=3493)

slower
01-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Despite Duke always playing it close in Tallahassee, I foresee Duke comfortably winning but having a low scoring game (Duke in the low 70s, FSU in the high 50s).

Well, we COULD win comfortably. Also, we could win ugly (or even lose). Most of the predictions made by most of us are just shots in the dark, no matter how many stats we have at our disposal. Since I'm nervous about this one, we'll probably blow them out.

Expect copious quantities of blood, sweat and tears. I have NEVER been a fan of Big Bad Leonard and his glaring shtick. To me, he is one of the most irritating coaches, just a notch below true jerks like Bo Ryan.

jv001
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, we COULD win comfortably. Also, we could win ugly (or even lose). Most of the predictions made by most of us are just shots in the dark, no matter how many stats we have at our disposal. Since I'm nervous about this one, we'll probably blow them out.

Expect copious quantities of blood, sweat and tears. I have NEVER been a fan of Big Bad Leonard and his glaring shtick. To me, he is one of the most irritating coaches, just a notch below true jerks like Bo Ryan.

and we blow them out, but like you I'm concerned about FSU's defense. They play hard nose defense that borders on dirty. My main wish is we come out healthy. I expect us to come out with lot's of energy and knock them back a bit. We can't give them added confidence and let the fans energize them. FSU had trouble against the press in the one game I was able to watch. So I think we pressure them. Kyle will probably play the 3 mostly in this game. That doesn't leave many minutes for our guards to split. Whoever plays the best defense will probably garner the most minutes between: Andre, Seth and Tyler. Nolan's minutes are a given. I say we win 72-64. Go Duke!

Kedsy
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Whoever plays the best defense will probably garner the most minutes between: Andre, Seth and Tyler. Nolan's minutes are a given.

Even coming right after his great game against Maryland, I'd be shocked if Tyler got more minutes against Florida State than either Andre or Seth. In his "breakout game," Tyler got 12 minutes while Seth got 18 and Andre got 30. Even taking only the 2nd half of the Maryland game, which minute-wise is as good as it will ever get for Tyler this season, Tyler and Seth both played 12 and Andre played 14, and that unlikely three-way timeshare was only possible because Ryan and Mason played 3 and 7 minutes respectively in the half.

I really like Tyler, and this is not a knock on his abilities in any way, but if Kyle plays mostly at the 3, as several posters have suggested, then we should expect Tyler to get 5 or fewer minutes against FSU.

jv001
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Even coming right after his great game against Maryland, I'd be shocked if Tyler got more minutes against Florida State than either Andre or Seth. In his "breakout game," Tyler got 12 minutes while Seth got 18 and Andre got 30. Even taking only the 2nd half of the Maryland game, which minute-wise is as good as it will ever get for Tyler this season, Tyler and Seth both played 12 and Andre played 14, and that unlikely three-way timeshare was only possible because Ryan and Mason played 3 and 7 minutes respectively in the half.

I really like Tyler, and this is not a knock on his abilities in any way, but if Kyle plays mostly at the 3, as several posters have suggested, then we should expect Tyler to get 5 or fewer minutes against FSU.

I should have said if Andre or Seth are struggling on defense, Tyler could get some of their minutes. I know all things being equal, Tyler is not going to get equal minutes with Andre and Seth. He's just not that far along yet. But he does play pretty good defense and he really came through against Maryland. I see around 5-10 minutes for Andre, but maybe not against FSU. GoDuke!

hurley1
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
This is a perfect game for us to play right now. FS may be the best defensive team in the nation, all things considered. Playing in hostile territory against a defensive wall will offer challenges for us that will only make us better. I am totally confident that we will win, however; it might get nasty at times. Great match up for us right now.

Kedsy
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
But he does play pretty good defense and he really came through against Maryland.

I completely agree with this. However, my expectations for Tyler are he'll play 5 to 10 minutes in a few selected games but in most games it will be less than 5. With Kyle and Nolan both averaging 40 minutes a game in our two ACC games, we just won't have enough minutes to go around in most situations.

Saratoga2
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I should have said if Andre or Seth are struggling on defense, Tyler could get some of their minutes. I know all things being equal, Tyler is not going to get equal minutes with Andre and Seth. He's just not that far along yet. But he does play pretty good defense and he really came through against Maryland. I see around 5-10 minutes for Andre, but maybe not against FSU. GoDuke!

Singleton seemed to be FSU's main scorer in the VT game. Other than him, their offensive game looked bad. If Singler defends against Singleton, then I doubt if FSU gets over 60. Duke should have the firepower to get at least 70. I expect Nolan and Kyle to go close to the full 40 minutes. I like us with lineups with at least 3 scoring threats together to make it difficult for defenders.

One lineup that I like is with Nolan, Kyle and Andre taking that role with Tyler and Miles providing our best defenders with them.

An alternate lineup with include Nolan, Kyle, Seth, and Kelly with one of Miles or Mason. Again, three scorers with bigs.

I am not thinking that Josh has mastered enough defense to be in there for significant minutes.

If will be interesting to see if Coach K sees Tyler as a player he can use in a regular rotation after his wonderful showing against Maryland.

DeBlueDevil
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Enough Said...

strawbs
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Agreed. I really like Tyler, I thought before the season started he would be more of a contributor than a lot of people thought. However we shouldn't set our expectations of him too high, after playing well in his first meaningful minutes of the season.
Everyone was quick to do this with Mason after the Marquette game (and the CBE classic as a whole) and look how that turned out. I don't know why people set their expectations of the players so high after they play well in one game. Now if they play well in a string of games then we should start raising our expectations. That's my 2 cents anyway.

moonpie23
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
visions of jason williams missing free throws will be forever connected to the letters FSU in my brain...

it's ALWAYS ugly down there...

it will be interesting to see how nolan responds to his best "awful" game...

Bob Green
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Virginia Tech shut the Seminoles down with an aggressive 2-3 zone. FSU couldn't buy a basket and VT finished the 1st half on a 10-0 or 12-0 run after switching from M2M to the 2-3 zone. Prior to the switch, FSU was scoring off offensive rebounds. While it is a given Duke plays M2M defense almost exclusively, this is a game where Coach Krzyzewski might consider employing his good friend Jim Boeheim's favorite defense.

diveonthefloor
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
While it is a given Duke plays M2M defense almost exclusively, this is a game where Coach Krzyzewski might consider employing his good friend Jim Boeheim's favorite defense.

I would LOVE this....even if it's just for 5 minutes each half! Wonder if Bill Raftery is doing the PBP? ha!

NSDukeFan
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Virginia Tech shut the Seminoles down with an aggressive 2-3 zone. FSU couldn't buy a basket and VT finished the 1st half on a 10-0 or 12-0 run after switching from M2M to the 2-3 zone. Prior to the switch, FSU was scoring off offensive rebounds. While it is a given Duke plays M2M defense almost exclusively, this is a game where Coach Krzyzewski might consider employing his good friend Jim Boeheim's favorite defense.

This seems a bit counter-intuitive to me as zones are typically harder to rebound in. If FSU is only scoring off offensive rebounds, wouldn't the team be better off staying in a man-to-man so that it is easier to find your man to box out? I understand VT used this successfully, but it just seems to me that you would really want to make sure the team concentrated on boxing out from the zone.

ElSid
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM

This is an interesting question. I would say probably not. With our perimeter depth, I think K plans on sticking with m2m all season...and, given how bad FSU is on offense, we're probably not going to have to employ novel strategies to contain them. I think we'll probably keep working on perfecting our m2m, rather than taking this opportunity to practice a defense that probably won't be used much the rest of the season.

on the flip side, maybe K will use this opportunity to try some new looks on D. just not sure if you learn much trying something new against such an offensively challenged team. I mean, you could falsely deduce that the defense worked well when in fact FSU just can't buy a bucket, generally.

Hope we stick with m2m and just get better at our bread and butter.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
To K, Zone = Surrender.

Unless we are protecting someone due to foul trouble, or unless we are doing something just to switch up for a few plays (or on an inbound), it ain't gonna happen.

IBleedBlue
01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Keep in mind that FSU will be at home. So, the chance that they would hit the shots that they missed at VT would be higher if we pay zone

left_hook_lacey
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

This is a great question and one I have been pondering myself ever since the end of our last game. If we come out vs. FSU in a zone and sprinkle in a press or two here and there this one could be over early. IMO, you make FSU prove it can shoot the ball before you even think about coming out of the zone. The pressure D after a made basket makes its guards even more uncomfortable and wastes precious seconds on the shot clock to start its offense.

I however am a mere mortal. I trust in K and whatever defense he employs.

tele
01-12-2011, 10:41 AM
It will be interesting to see if Coach K continues to play Singler and Smith for 40 minutes and to use a short bench, 7 players. With the number of players that FSU will run at you, might be a good game to get Josh and Tyler some minutes. Or maybe play some zone so Kyle and Nolan can rest on defense...:eek:

This would be a good game for Mason to get it going again on offense, be nice if he used the glass on his shots once in awhile too. Was it kelly or Miles that had that nice little put back bank shot in the Md game? It looked like Kelly but then I think the announcer said Miles so wasn't sure who it was. The Plumlees don't seem to use the back board much. I think Wooden called the backboard the big man's best friend, helps when you're pivoting around or even falling away across the lane to just bank it in.

moonpie23
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
i expect a very ugly game.....

4decadedukie
01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
This game substantially concerns me; of course, we can -- and we should -- win, however:
a) FSU is a solid team, well coached, with good results thus far during the season
b) We're on the road, it’s the heart of the season, it’s also the ACC, and we have a LARGE target on our back as Duke, as #1, and as the reigning National Champion
c) Our Miami and Maryland victories -- in my opinion, and not to reignite controversy -- have been fairly unimpressive and have revealed weakness that do not appear to have been corrected (rebounding, terminal defense against "big" opponents in the near-paint, turnovers)

I have a root canal scheduled this afternoon (no fooling), and I am just about as apprehensive regarding tonight's game.

Bob Green
01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if Coach K continues to play Singler and Smith for 40 minutes and to use a short bench, 7 players.

Coach Krzyzewski played eight players against Maryland. I expect Smith and Singler to play 40 or right at 40 minutes if it is a tight game.

a) FSU is a solid team, well coached, with good results thus far during the season

I have a root canal scheduled this afternoon

I have to disagree that FSU is well coached. Coaching is possible FSU's biggest weakness.

Good luck with the root canal.

mikegismynewhero
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
in my mind this is one of the 5 games left in the season that i can see us losing..along with the St. John's game, maryland in maryland and both unc games

BASKETCASE
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
how about Temple?

mikegismynewhero
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
possibly but i dont view them as too much of a threat

devildeac
01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
i expect a very ugly game.....

I expect something more on the order of a rugby match.

-bdbd
01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
in my mind this is one of the 5 games left in the season that i can see us losing..along with the St. John's game, maryland in maryland and both unc games

Law of averages would say that it is likely that we will lose something outside of those 5 games that you mentioned. Kind of like in the NCAAT, does one bet on the favorite team over "the field" (i.e. everyone else)? Always take 'the field.' Too many things can go wrong -- injuries, foul troube to a key player, bad shooting night, etc. -- even in a game against a "lesser" opponent. :rolleyes:

VPI (there), NCSU (there/here), BC, Temple, Mia (there) -- these are all games we could lose. To say nothing of the ACCT and NCAAT. There's a reason why nobody has gone undefeated in all of these years (including many teams better than this one) -- stuff happens. To suggest that those 5 are the only ones where there's a threat of losing is, well, dangerous in my mind (and tempting fate!).

I just hope that the team stays focused on one-game-at-a-time.
:D

moonpie23
01-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I expect something more on the order of a rugby match.

explain the difference.......:cool:

-jk
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
FSU is one of the places I worry less about getting the win and more about avoiding an injury. VPI is another. They both seem to embrace the "if we can't beat you, we'll beat you up".

-jk

mikegismynewhero
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
i'm not saying those are the only games we have a chance to lose, im pointing out, imo, the times we are most likely to lose

mkirsh
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM

I would expect to see more "Red" than "Orange", with Red being Duke's terminology for half court man-to-man trap. We used this on a few possessions in the second half against Maryland to disrupt their offense, and might do it again tonight to try to generate steals and transition buckets to avoid going against their formidable half court D.

devildeac
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
explain the difference.......:cool:

To me, an ugly game means lots of turnovers and poor shooting, forced or unforced. A "rugby match" includes those two components and lots of rough play, called or uncalled. But, we may just be talking about the same thing(s)...

RonFar
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Got this link from Scout today. The first part of the post is a pretty hysterical flow chart about which team to choose, but the second part has some good stuff about the game tonight. FSU's size may be an issue if our threes aren't falling.

http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2011/01/choose-your-acc-basketball-team.html

cptnflash
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
This game substantially concerns me; of course, we can -- and we should -- win, however:
b) We're on the road, it’s the heart of the season, it’s also the ACC, and we have a LARGE target on our back as Duke, as #1, and as the reigning National Champion
c) Our Miami and Maryland victories -- in my opinion, and not to reignite controversy -- have been fairly unimpressive and have revealed weakness that do not appear to have been corrected (rebounding, terminal defense against "big" opponents in the near-paint, turnovers)

I have a root canal scheduled this afternoon (no fooling), and I am just about as apprehensive regarding tonight's game.

Agree 100%. This should be our toughest test of the season. For the first time all year, I would be totally satisfied with a 1-point win on a halfcourt desperation heave at the buzzer.

The good news is FSU can't score. Singleton would be a nightmare matchup for any of our guys individually, but given FSU's lack of offensive weapons I'm sure the game plan will involve copious amounts of help whenever Singleton has the ball. Also, we need to guard Dulkys well on the perimeter. He has shot poorly so far this year, but that's probably a sample size issue as he hit nearly 40% of his 3's last year and it's unusual for a player to permanently regress half way through their college career. We need to treat him as a legit outside scoring threat and defend accordingly.

diveonthefloor
01-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Anyone know who the broadcast team will be for the game?

Daniel tosh
01-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm pretty sure its Shulman and Vitale.

DukeHoopsGuru
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone have a chat link for the game? And is it always the same link? I clicked on the link in the sticky, but that doesn't appear to be it. Thank you.

1 24 90
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Anyone know who the broadcast team will be for the game?

It is Shulman and Vitale. Get ESPN3 ready. Georgetown and Pitt still have 6 minutes to go. UGH!

77devil
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Anyone have a chat link for the game? And is it always the same link? I clicked on the link in the sticky, but that doesn't appear to be it. Thank you.

Try this.

http://www.snrub.com/

jipops
01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
We saw what happens when Nolan struggles offensively, the team's offense struggles. Our defense was great against Maryland but because our offense was not able to pull away against their great D, the Terps got back in it.

I expect a similar issue tonight. Chris Singleton is one of the better defenders around so he'll be blanketing Smith. I expect Nolan to have another tough shooting night. We will need to lean on Kyle again to pretty much do everything. What could help us however is limiting the turnovers which really got us into trouble the other night.

We are going to have a tough time scoring in this one. I feel like the key is limiting turnovers and staying out of foul trouble. I feel like we'll need to go with the small lineup in crunch time as we had to do the entire 2nd half against the Terps. We're at our best offensively with this lineup and we seem to do fairly well defensively also.

SuperTurkey
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM

It should always be the same link. That one works for me.

1 24 90
01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Tipoff not until 9:10 so we may catch it.

riverside6
01-12-2011, 08:57 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters are posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7008

Curry is starting once again for Duke instead of Dawkins

94duke
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
We saw what happens when Nolan struggles offensively, the team's offense struggles. Our defense was great against Maryland but because our offense was not able to pull away against their great D, the Terps got back in it.

I expect a similar issue tonight. Chris Singleton is one of the better defenders around so he'll be blanketing Smith. I expect Nolan to have another tough shooting night. We will need to lean on Kyle again to pretty much do everything. What could help us however is limiting the turnovers which really got us into trouble the other night.

We are going to have a tough time scoring in this one. I feel like the key is limiting turnovers and staying out of foul trouble. I feel like we'll need to go with the small lineup in crunch time as we had to do the entire 2nd half against the Terps. We're at our best offensively with this lineup and we seem to do fairly well defensively also.

If Singleton is guarding Nolan, who will guard Kyle?

NovaScotian
01-12-2011, 09:11 PM
If Singleton is guarding Nolan, who will guard Kyle?

this is also my thought. i think he'll end up guarding singler more after the night is done.

ice-9
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Anybody know where I can watch the game online?

wgl1228
01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
We need to pick up the intensity.

Son of Mojo
01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Have had some good looks but some rim out or back rim. Hopefully those will start dropping. How was that last play before the under 12 TO not a foul on FSU? We're still looking a bit sloppy with the ball, like there's no clue what to do with it.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you Dick Vitale, and thank you Coach K. For what? For telling everyone that Duke isn't close to as good as people thought they'd be without Kyrie. Too many fans are still talking about going undefeated and such. Are you kidding me? Without us even having played one road game without Kyrie. Sorry, that's not going to happen. Tonight we finally get to see just how valuable Kyrie was. Don't be surprised if Duke loses this game, and loses it badly. I don't want that to happen, obviously, but I won't be surprised if it does. We are having a terrible time getting a good shot on offense because we aren't able to penetrate and then either finish or kick. Everything is perimeter and that's just not gonna cut it.

superdave
01-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Duke has thrown two defensive wrinkles at FSU so far - first a soft 3/4 court press and second a 2-3 zone. Both were run for one possession each and served to break FSU's rhythm.

superdave
01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you Dick Vitale, and thank you Coach K. For what? For telling everyone that Duke isn't close to as good as people thought they'd be without Kyrie. Too many fans are still talking about going undefeated and such. Are you kidding me? Without us even having played one road game without Kyrie. Sorry, that's not going to happen. Tonight we finally get to see just how valuable Kyrie was. Don't be surprised if Duke loses this game, and loses it badly. I don't want that to happen, obviously, but I won't be surprised if it does. We are having a terrible time getting a good shot on offense because we aren't able to penetrate and then either finish or kick. Everything is perimeter and that's just not gonna cut it.

Giving up on this one already?!

GLTBD
01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Finally a 3

_Gary
01-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Giving up on this one already?!

No, of course not. I'm just saying this is our first real test since Kyrie's injury because it's a road game. And I do think it's very possible we lose this game. The silver lining is that FSU is atrocious on offense. I think if we were playing a solid offensive team we really would be in trouble.

Dukeface88
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
U-G-L-Y
This game ain't got no Alabi
It's ugly, yeah, yeah, it's ugly

_Gary
01-12-2011, 09:37 PM
U-G-L-Y
This game ain't got no Alabi
It's ugly, yeah, yeah, it's ugly

And that might be an understatement! It really is horrible right now.

Fuqua's Finest
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I just wish Nolan knew how to pass. He would really be a high first rounder. His vision may be the worse on the team overall. Doesn't seem he knows how to interchange between the scorer and passer. It's one or the other...

Duke76
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
is simply not giving the ball up...coaches need to tell him...he misse Kyle on an easy layup and a pass out to Andre...selfish, imo

Mabdul Doobakus
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Ugly.

And every time I think it can't possibly get any uglier, it does.

Duke76
01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
please put Tyler in

WeepingThomasHill
01-12-2011, 09:42 PM
This first half has been an unmitigated disaster. Who is going to step up and lead us in the second half?

_Gary
Darn it! Seth is off again tonight - and we need him! I was hoping his solid performance on Sunday night would get him off the snide, but right now he seems to be struggling with his shot. Of course, most everyone is struggling with their shot right now.

Bluedevil114
This is just bad basketball. Really sloppy. Ball movement is terrible. We are letting FSU control the tempo.

Son of Mojo
01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Sloppy play upon sloppy play with poor decisions being made. Let's keep it close going into half and hope Coach blisters some ears with mentoring words.

DukieInBrasil
is Nolan standing around dribbling the ball. We need to be moving the ball more, more and better passes, less dribbling.

billyj
Did anyone see Scheyer? :cool:Who was that sitting next to him?

DukeGirl4ever
We look outmatched (you know, we are alarmingly unathletic), but we're only down a point. I'll take that as a plus right now....

This will be a game where a 5 point lead seems like 20.

dairedevil
is simply not giving the ball up...coaches need to tell him...he misse Kyle on an easy layup and a pass out to Andre...selfish, imo

or is Nolan just trying to take control of the scoring? I think sometimes he tries to hard to do it all, and loses sight of what the best play may be.

c'mon guys, you are better than this......

billyj
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Btw we are shooting at around 25% and leading by 2. We will be fine. :)

_Gary
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
There we go Seth! Get in a rhythm.

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Mason play some pretty terrible interior D.

dairedevil
01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
At what point will K point out to the refs that they've called twice as many fouls on us as on FSU?

Oh, there's one!

DukeGirl4ever
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
That last offensive set where Nolan hit that crappy foul line jump shot WAS HORRIBLE!

Why are we standing around the perimeter, dribbling the ball once or twice to try to get to the lane (and getting nowhere), and passing back and forth?

Can we please run something? Dear Lord....does anyone know how to set a pick?

Fuqua's Finest
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
If Nolan can't score by driving he gets totally out his game. However, the beautiful part about this team is the fact that we've played horrible for large portions of the last 3 games, but we're rarely ever down. That speaks to the defense we've played thus far. Our shooters will hit some shots. I just wish Nolan could pass better. Tyler may be seeing a lot more playing time than he expected this season. The team seems to totally calm down when he's in (Probably because they don't have to beg for the ball....hehehe.)

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
What the hell was that Mason just did? Was that supposed to be a pick for Nolan? Unbelievable.

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2011, 09:55 PM
that was a pretty awesome assist from Singler on the backside out for a 3.

DukeGirl4ever
That Kyle assist better be #1 on SportsCenter's top plays.
Yes, I'm pulling at strings and trying to focus on the positives.

Fuqua's Finest
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer again, but why is Dre scared to dribble. It's like Coach K has told him don't dribble or else. He def needs to work on his handle this offseason. Seth also need to work on his left hand. Tyler just needs to go and stop thinking.

dairedevil
01-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Sure hope the coaches can come up with an answer for the 2nd half..this is just plug ugly..

Dukefan1.0
01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Nolan is trying to force everything. He needs to slow down and run the offense.

HateCarolina
I think lackadaisical would be the best way to describe our play, or ugly, or just really really bad. Missing lay ups Mason...what gives?

I feel like we're playing to the lowest common denominator...is Kyle sick?

Dr. Rosenrosen
Wow. Just, wow.

dukestheheat
01-12-2011, 09:58 PM
simply, Duke MUST establish the inside game. Period.

This will be the focus for Duke coming out, betcha a 50 stamp.

dth.

_Gary
This is the worst, offensively, I've seen Duke in a long time. And the defense isn't very stellar either. We're lucky we are playing such a poor offensive team or we'd be down double-digits right now at half.

DukeGirl4ever
Nolan is trying to force everything. He needs to slow down and run the offense.

Um, all he has done is stand around and dribble at the top of the key, so I'm not sure how much more he can slow it down. I want them to attack more (and in a sense speed it up)!

We need to get some fast break opportunities!

anon
For those still defending the Plumlees as simply suffering in Coach K's system, witness the put-back that Mason botched in the last minute of the first half. It's this kind of play that we need them to convert, and they have failed way too often.

ajgoodfella7
01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I think this is the first time that not having Kyrie on the floor has really caught up to Duke. It seems like no one can even get close to the basket and when your shots aren't falling, this is what can happen.

Mabdul Doobakus
I don't know how to explain that half of basketball. This team has way too much talent and good coaching to ever put together a half like that. That was, I don't know...deplorable. I am deploring that.

There's so much that was wrong with that, I don't even know where to begin. Here's to a better 2nd half.

DukieInBrasil
the worst half of basketball by the Blue Devils this year.
Kyle Singler, backside assist aside, is playing very poorly. Nolan isn't playing much better. In fact, nobody is playing well, which is why we are down 4 to FSU. The bright side is that if anyone starts playing better, we'd have a very good chance to win.

wgl1228
This reminds me of the post Redick years where we went for long periods without scoring.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
i think this is the first time that not having kyrie on the floor has really caught up to duke. It seems like no one can even get close to the basket and when your shots aren't falling, this is what can happen.

bingo.

Faison1
FSU has always played us tight in the first half....let's see what happens in the second half.

But I must ask: Mase!!! What the heck, man?!?

Nolan's decision making is pretty questionable tonight. But it's nothing a few baskets and solid rebounding can't solve.

HateCarolina
For those still defending the Plumlees as simply suffering in Coach K's system, witness the put-back that Mason botched in the last minute of the first half. It's this kind of play that we need them to convert, and they have failed way too often.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this one. I hate to speak ill of any Duke players, but Mason has severely disappointed this season.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this one. I hate to speak ill of any Duke players, but Mason has severely disappointed this season.

And again I think it's worth mentioning his struggles are post-Kyrie. He was playing pretty good with Irving in the lineup.

strawbs
01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
i'll give fsu credit. they are keeping our guys out of the paint and playing extremely tough defense. They are making it so all we are getting is jump shots and we aren't hitting them. What's frustrating to me is that it seems like our guys may have the worst hands in the country. We aren't grabbing rebounds or loose balls, and if we do, we aren't hanging onto them. Hopefully K can light a fire under the guys butts here at the half. One thing that's for sure is that we need to come out better in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half then we did against maryland.

HateCarolina
And again I think it's worth mentioning his struggles are post-Kyrie. He was playing pretty good with Irving in the lineup.

True, but he seems to get caught standing around lost sometime on both the offensive and defensive side. And he missed an uncontested put back lay up. He needs to wake up and get back in the groove.

CLT Devil
Did anyone see Scheyer? :cool:Who was that sitting next to him?

Man oh man! Guy has done well for himself!

I did notice that he had a pair of glasses in his shirt pocket. What a shame that a guy suffers a freak injury when his professional career was on the line. I sure do hope he catches on somewhere...and it looks like he already has someone to rebound while he finds his stroke. :p

arnie
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

I don't think he understands the game - compared to other Duke players, his BBall IQ is seems pretty low. But he's all we've got in the post, just accept his limitations.

jv001
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
We're not playing tough enough. Especially on offense. This game reminds me of the Villanova game a couple of years ago. Our guards need to play through contact because the refs are letting them play. And our interior guys need to grab the ball with two hands and protect it. The way FSU shoots, there is no way they should be up 4 at half time. Well if we only score 24 pts in the half, I guess they should be. Look for our guys to play tougher in the 2nd half. Go Duke!

BleedsP287
01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Florida State is out toughing us in a big way. We're playing slow and timid. Have to fight tough with tougher.

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I am re-watching the first half on DVR while waiting for the second and I keep looking for positives and I just cannot find any....

NSDukeFan
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
i'll give fsu credit. they are keeping our guys out of the paint and playing extremely tough defense. They are making it so all we are getting is jump shots and we aren't hitting them. What's frustrating to me is that it seems like our guys may have the worst hands in the country. We aren't grabbing rebounds or loose balls, and if we do, we aren't hanging onto them. Hopefully K can light a fire under the guys butts here at the half. One thing that's for sure is that we need to come out better in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half then we did against maryland.

I think FSU deserves credit. Their D has been tough as advertised and they have been able to get away with hands on their offensive players. They have been the more aggressive team. This had lead to Duke scoring 24 points in the half. If Duke can come out more aggressive in the second half I like the team's chances. Having a couple of threes drop wouldn't be a bad thing either. I don't think Kyle will be able to explode offensively with Singleton on him, but hopefully will convert some of his second half chances.

DukeGirl4ever
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I know MP1 and MP2 are a bit disappointing, but we need an inside presence!
I think we need to see them in the game together for some minutes in the 2nd half. They may be making stupid decisions, but I'd like to see their athleticism shine through.

FSU is helping on everything, mostly because we don't have a 2nd post player that we can throw the alley-oop pass to (and I do realize this is more difficult with Nolan at the point). If we had both Plumlees in there, I think it may open things a bit...at least keep the defense honest.

chadlee989
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
FSU might be the best Defense in the country. Our 2 seniors are making some poor decisions. It will get better in the second half. As for Mase, i think he is having a really good game so far (look at his rebound totals right now). We need to just calm down trying to force to much. I would like to see a little more Tyler and let Nolan go off the ball. If not Kyle and Nolan have got to trust the other guys.

B/C right now we look like jj senior year(JJ watching) it seems like our team is just waiting for ks and ns to take over and win it for us.

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Duke is playing like they are getting paid to lose.......even though I know that isn't the case.......no inside game at all..NONE......the plumlees look like 2nd string middle school players......nolan is spastic......singler is flat footed.......and the three is not in the building.......horrible execution at both ends of the floor........glad we aren't playing kansas or syracuse.........

Or any other team with a half decent offensive threat...

moonpie23
thank goodness there is a second half......

hurley1
I am re-watching the first half on DVR while waiting for the second and I keep looking for positives and I just cannot find any....

you are wasting your time.........

lotusland
01-12-2011, 10:10 PM
we need to block our better. We're getting killed on stick backs. Singleton is defending Kyle extremely tough. Nolan is great at penetrating but we're not getting anything for the bigs out of it and without a back to the basket post player we are strictly a perimeter team. We need to get some steals for easy buckets to loosen up those rims. It's been a clangfest.

dairedevil
01-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Will this game be called any differently in the second half? The refs have allowed them to play, which has certainly benefited fsu. Collins made reference to the physical play in his halftime interview. Duke is often considered "soft", and has trouble with these types of games.

Sometimes, the refs start calling the game tighter. We'll see what happens tonight. It would be nice if we could get to the free throw line for more than 3 shots in the second half. (gotta get some points some way)

jipops
01-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I think this is the first time that not having Kyrie on the floor has really caught up to Duke. It seems like no one can even get close to the basket and when your shots aren't falling, this is what can happen.

I think it's the 2nd time actually. The 1st was Maryland, but we were still able to win.

It's also the second top tier defensive team in a row. Turnovers are killing us in this one and will probably be the main reason for a loss if this ends up being a loss. We just can't initiate offense, why?, no pg.

Fuqua's Finest
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Hmmm let's see the problem with Mason....

Could it be that he never gets passes in the post (2-3 a game max)? Check

Post-KI, he never gets wide open shots to get confidence. Check

Even when he is wide open, he only gets entry passes from Ryan Kelly. Check

Basically, when you're only getting 3-4 shots a game most times, you're not going to get into any rhythm. Therefore, his confidence gets low and he plays lackadaisical. Sad to say, but we haven't really had a developed big man since Sheldon. Not pointing fingers at Wojo or nothing, but our bigs haven't developed offensively at all. It's almost as if they lose their game.

SMO
I don't think he understands the game - compared to other Duke players, his BBall IQ is seems pretty low. But he's all we've got in the post, just accept his limitations.

With 9 rebounds in the 1st half, I'm inclined to give him some slack. That said, the missed put-packs are tough to watch. That should be easy lovin' for him.

jv001
Outside of Nolan we have no one that can penetrate and dish. Andre does not have a very good handle and Seth has looked sloppy handling the ball tonight. Let's hope someone picks it up in the 2nd half. Go Duke!

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
There were several things I did not understand about that first half...

1.Why did Nolan spend so much time just dribbling the ball on top of the circle?
2.Why doesn't Dawkins take his guy off the dribble?
3.If FSU is so physical, how did we only shoot 3 free throws?
4.How does FSU score?
5.Has there been such an ugly half of basketball since the last time we played in Tallahassee?

I think we need to keep penetrating and kicking out for 3's if the drive isn't there....Those shots have to fall eventually....If they don't, well, we don't deserve to win.

LET'S GO DUKE!!

cbnaylor
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
It just perturbs me to see Florida State score so easy inside and Duke has such a hard time doing it. Why?

94duke
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
At least we started improving our rebounding. We finished the 1st half leading 21 rebounds to 18.

fgb
01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
last game and this (and to an extent miami) son't leave me feeling very good. these are all teams that should not make the ncaa's, imo.

cbnaylor
01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Did that touch foul on Singler just really happen? You've got to be kidding me!

wgl1228
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
No energy, no inspiration, just a deer in the headlights look. Going be a long night.

Kfanarmy
I don't really see any emotion out of Duke players. What gives?

dairedevil
Uh,that's not the way I wanted this half to start. Sigh.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
This team looks both physically and emotionally spent for some reason. I just don't see or sense any "fire" from them tonight. I wonder whether or not Coach is even going to blast them in this first timeout. Seems like we are just tired/have dead legs.

lotusland
woodshed.

TheRob8801
Well. If Kyle or Nolan aren't going to do it, it isn't going to get done.

Kyle looks timid out there and Nolan can't create anything. If it's going to happen it has to happen right now.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
another off balance wrong footed shot from nolan. good grief.

Vincetaylor
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Not surprised by this at all. The team hasn't looked good in a while. They are not a national championship contender without Irving. They're just not. Last year's team was much better than this team minus Irving.

ChrisP
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
It sure doesn't help that FSU is being allowed to absolutely MUG our guys on the perimeter and underneath with no whistles from the Zebras...just sayin...

WeepingThomasHill
01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
We are getting punked. Everyone will be copying this as the blueprint (again) to beat us - punch us in the mouth, close out on our 3 point shooters and, if we aren't hitting jumpers, watch us flail away jacking up bad shots and having Nolan make bad decisions. Jon Scheyer is not walking through that door at PG.

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Not surprised by this at all. The team hasn't looked good in a while. They are not a national championship contender without Irving. They're just not. Last year's team was much better than this team minus Irving.

That's going a little bit too far, IMO. This team is more talented, they've just got no leader.

Kyrie has shown he has that killer instinct. Nobody on the court today does (yet).

SMO
01-12-2011, 10:26 PM
This looks like an "L" right now. Hard to imagine them turning it around, but we shall see. Could be a good motivator if they can't pull it out.

_Gary
01-12-2011, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure last year's team was MUCH better. But yeah, they were better than this team is without Kyrie right now. No doubt we aren't nearly as good without Kyrie. All the fans that have acted like it wouldn't be a big deal when he went down just didn't know what they were talking about. Coach K has said as much himself. Don't know what the answer is - other than Kyrie making a miraculous recovery.

duke09hms
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM

This is true. Same players but w/o the lockdown D and toughness of Zoubek and Lance.

micah75
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Okay, Duke down by 7, I haven't posted since the season started, and there's a reason for it.... I didn't post the last half of the last season, and Duke won the NCAA championship. Fluke? I don't know, but I don't want to jinx the team. I'd rather be silent behind the sidelines, and watch the greatest show on earth unfold in my paltry little den.

Perhaps I should remain quiet and just *hope* we catch up and win this game. But maybe, just maybe, if I post something *this game only*, we may win, and if so, I will then shut thee ford-frick up for the last half of the season, thereby lending support (or perhaps better stated as "mojo") to the team as well as offering my fellow Duke fans some much needed satisfaction.

Go team! I think we can do it.

If we lose, I'll take the blame, and don't hesitate to give me minus 2000 pitchforks. Yikes! :-(

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
It also goes to show what we've known about this team forever.

Live & die by the three.

hurley1
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
did wake forrest steal our uniforms ???????

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
There have been a hell of a lot of fast break turnovers by this team this season.

Not so sure I understand that.

WeepingThomasHill
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
our play tonight, or Jeannine Edwards? She is awful. I blame her.

_Gary
Finally some fire! That's gonna help.

Gthoma2a
As I say that, Nolan impresses me with his brilliance.

DukeGirl4ever
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Where was this the last 28 minutes?

And, the Plumlees on the floor together...I think that's what we need!

BlueThru&Thru
Jeez, one bad game and you guys are manning the life boats. And you still have a lotta time left:confused:

HateCarolina
Damn I was sitting here pissed off ready to throw the remote through the window, but I came on here and I see people ready to throw themselves and the whole team out the window.

Thank you b/c now I can calmly watch this game knowing that we have a good team and that we're always capable of winning AND losing every night. And for the record this team has more weapons than did our team last year although at this point I do not think we're a better TEAM...but we will be as good or better as a TEAM by the end of the season.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Umm, we need to practice dribbling the ball.

Duke79UNLV77
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Pressuring the ball and not just dribbling at the top of the key. Keep it up!

Love seeing Kyrie supporting his teammates!

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Umm, we need to practice dribbling the ball.

Andre has never shown much in the ball-handling arena. He just got out of control there.

Son of Mojo
Good to see some fire in the guys. Still hard to believe all of the shots that have juuuuuuust rimmed out from beginning to this point. Let's keep knocking some more down and toughen up inside (on defense and offense)!!

OldPhiKap
Not to worry, here we come.

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
though Mason has done very little on O and has gotten burned more than any other Devil for buckets, he has been very hard-nosed on the boards. He missed on a wide-open Oboard put back, which would have been huge for the team and for his confidence. He passed to a wide open 3 in the corner rather than taking it strong to the rim, where he could have used his elevation.

nocilla
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I will agree that last year's team in April was much better than this year's team 8 games in is. Keep in mind that this is a long season and this is their first ACC road game which a lot of us (including myself) predicted to be Duke's first loss. I know it has been ugly, but I still have faith in this team not only in this game but for the season.

BlueThru&Thru
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Not to worry, you can always rely on FSU to make unintelligent plays to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory

dukebluelemur
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
YES finally a good play by Mason... (picking up his 4th foul.)

dairedevil
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Has ESPN borrowed Fox's cameramen? What's with the end zone camera? Wish all would stop these crazy shots. It's so hard to follow the plays.

Duke76
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
why why why

dukebluelemur
01-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Win or lose, everyone but Kyle needs to be walking home....

Gthoma2a
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
A replay of Georgetown last year, anyone?

ajgoodfella7
Bad play by Nolan there... really a perfect time to slow it down and run some offense.

azzefkram
Have the zebras called every little touch foul on duke?

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Bad play by Nolan there... really a perfect time to slow it down and run some offense.

Missing Kyrie. Nolan is great driving from the wing, but it's harder setting up from the point.

Dr. Rosenrosen
just squandering opportunities left and right

DukieInBrasil
Smith's turnovers in the lane have really cost Duke a lot of chances to create momentum or steal it back from FSU.

jv001
With Singleton on the bench, we should be going to Kyle every time. But Nolan wants to do too much. This is where we really miss Kyrie. Nolan the only true ball handler. Well Tyler may be but we don't know. Go Duke!

Fuqua's Finest
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
All about making smart decisions in the clutch...Nolan has to make a smart play there. We're still in this. We just gotta rebound and hit our FT's. I'm keeping the faith!

ajgoodfella7
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Missing Kyrie.

Very true... also, not one to second guess Coach, but maybe Duke would have been well served to get Nolan some minutes off the ball and let TT try his hand at PG for a few minutes earlier.

azzefkram
01-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Curry,s had some tough luck on his shots

ajgoodfella7
01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Come on Mason, be stronger with your shot!!!

anon
01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Mason misses another chip shot… Come on Mason!

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Just one of those games where nothing goes right.

DukeBlueNV
where is miles is he hurt?

Mabdul Doobakus
Win or lose, I think it's way premature to write off a team this talented on the basis of one really, really awful game. Or on the basis of our mediocre play since we started the ACC portion of our schedule. They clearly need a lot of work, but we've seen Coach K do more with less.

Everyone except Kyle is having just an awful game tonight. My goodness.

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I can't count how many times FSU has made a poor play that any "cutthroat" team would've capitalized on. At least 15.

Duke took advantage of maybe 4.

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
where is miles is he hurt?

On the bench where he belongs in a game like this.

Not a bash on him, he's just not mentally strong enough for this kind of game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
On the bench where he belongs in a game like this.

Not a bash on him, he's just not mentally strong enough for this kind of game.

And Mason is?

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
And Mason is?

Gotta have someone with size out there.

I'd rather see Ryan in Mason's place, but K obviously sees something different.

BigZ
missing 3s is bad but nolan's horrible missed layups and terrible passes are costing Duke the game.

ajgoodfella7
I can't count how many times FSU has made a poor play that any "cutthroat" team would've capitalized on. At least 15.

Duke took advantage of maybe 4.

Not sure you can use one game to make an assumption that Duke somehow doesn't possess a killer instinct or a "cutthroat mentality". They are just off tonight in almost every facet, it happens to everyone.

OldPhiKap
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Very true... also, not one to second guess Coach, but maybe Duke would have been well served to get Nolan some minutes off the ball and let TT try his hand at PG for a few minutes earlier.

Not to question coach, but -- yup.

BigZ
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I still believe the Plumlees can be solid role players but I have no confidence they will ever be star players you go to for buckets.

TheRob8801
Not sure you can use one game to make an assumption that Duke somehow doesn't possess a killer instinct or a "cutthroat mentality". They are just off tonight in almost every facet, it happens to everyone.

I'm not necessarily basing it off of just tonight.

There have been times during this season where opportunities to go on one of those patented Coach K runs have been thwarted by a poor choice on offense or a bad decision on D.

micah75
Down 1, 59-58 with less than 3 minutes to go.

Go Duke!!!

wgl1228
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Can we play some D for 2 minutes!

ajgoodfella7
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I just don't see what the big rush is for Nolan tonight. He needs to slow it down, which I'm sure he knows.

Fuqua's Finest
01-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Singler has made this game respectable for us, but really why Kyle. Could you have not gotten a better shot after a couple of passes? Ughhh

BigZ
01-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Singler has been great but that was a terrible decision.

DukieInBrasil
Singler had no business taking that 3, early in the clock, from way out, and guarded. Bad decision.
Nolan's inability to get a clean look on the last fast break was also crucial.

TheRob8801
Well.

3 things.

No defense down under. No surprise, been that way for years.

Live & die by the three-pointer. When we don't shoot well, we have major trouble.

Can't create offense out of the half-court without a cut PG (Kyrie), been THAT way for years too.

FSU played the best game they've played all season and Duke arguably played the worst. Gotta lose sometime.

ajgoodfella7
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh man Mason. If you were gonna do that you should have just done it 20 seconds ago.

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Where was Plumlee looking when he got that foul? He and Miles always seem just a little lost...maybe the earlier comments about low BB IQ are correct....

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:08 PM
We keep bad mouthing Nolan and he goes down and does stuff like that...

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Where was Plumlee looking when he got that foul? He and Miles always seem just a little lost...maybe the earlier comments about low BB IQ are correct....

What? BBQ?

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Well at least we got the first loss out of the way. Now the undefeated season thread can be deleted.

Krzyzewskiville
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Horrible night.

St. Johns lost
Duke lost
Knicks are losing (most likely a loss)

Thanks Plumlee's way to have a post game.

TheRob8801
I like how that mugging on Nolan wasn't called a foul just because of game situation.

Way to be refs, way to be.

Fuqua's Finest
Good game FSU. Bad game Duke. It's pretty sad when you can count on one hand how many post passes we've had this game. I'm sure Coach K will use this as a teaching moment. But it certainly sucks right now. I hate to say it, but boy how I miss Kyrie....:(

dairedevil
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Wish the ACC would put in a rule about rushing the court. I'm always afraid somebody will get hurt..although I can understand the youthful exuberance over beating #1.

BleedsP287
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Hats off to FSU. We got outplayed and outcoached tonight.

TheRob8801
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Wish the ACC would put in a rule about rushing the court. I'm always afraid somebody will get hurt..although I can understand the youthful exuberance over beating #1.

Seems like whenever anyone beats Duke nowadays they rush the court.

Says something about the program K runs though, doesn't it?

Mabdul Doobakus
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
FSU deserved that one. Every time we got close they made big shots to maintain their lead. We sucked. It's going to have to get a lot, lot better. I got nothing else.

HateCarolina
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Funny I was thinking the same thing, but it only really annoys me when it happens after a team beats us....I guess I would probably have done the same in my youth...