PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best team in college football?

Wander
01-11-2011, 12:51 AM
As happens more often than not, the college football season ends without a true national champion. Who's the best team?

Duvall
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
As happens more often than not, the college football season ends without a true national champion. Who's the best team?

Eastern Washington.

Why is Stanford included?

crimsondevil
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
I hate the BCS as much as the next guy, but it was pretty easy this year when all was said and done. Auburn's the rightful champion.

Incidentally, Stanford has no part in this discussion. They didn't even win their conference.

JohnGalt
01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
I hate the BCS as much as the next guy, but it was pretty easy this year when all was said and done. Auburn's the rightful champion.

Incidentally, Stanford has no part in this discussion. They didn't even win their conference.

I agree. Auburn is the rightful champion.

Best team though?

Alabama.

NSDukeFan
01-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Best team though?

Alabama.

If you play the games on paper, than Alabama may have been the best team in the country. On the field of play, that didn't appear to be the case.

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Agreed. Stanford got smoked by the team that just lost the BCS championship game. Sure, you can make an argument for TCU, but I'd be curious to hear the rationale of any of those choosing Stanford.

superdave
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I picked Auburn because that's what the computer said. I dont know how they calculate BCS computer rankings, but I'd bet it's better than letting coaches and reporters vote.

Stray Gator
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Best team though?

Alabama.

Would that be the same Alabama team that lost 3 games--including a home game and a two-touchdown trouncing by the Ol Ball Coach's Gamecocks--and didn't even finish in the Top 15 of the final BCS standings? I thought the question was supposed to be about the 2010 season, not the 2009 season. :confused:

JasonEvans
01-11-2011, 10:25 AM
When you look at Auburn's schedule, the fact that they went undefeated against it is one of the more impressive feats in recent college football history.

I would still love to see a playoff so we would not have a situation where TCU also beat all comers but got no shot at the crystal trophy.

-Jason "Stanford?!?! Would they have won more than 9 games playing Auburn's schedule?" Evans

Wander
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I think Stanford is the worst of these three, but I'm a little surprised at those who think they're nowhere close to the discussion. They lost a road game at a top 5 team's stadium - in other words, a game that every football team in the country would be expected to lose, including Auburn and TCU. And the Sagarin computer rankings have Auburn and Stanford basically tied at the top spot.

Wander
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
-Jason "Stanford?!?! Would they have won more than 9 games playing Auburn's schedule?" Evans

Would Stanford let a 4-4 ACC team take them to overtime at home?

- Wan "keep in mind, I do think Auburn is better than Stanford" der

gotoguy
01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Would that be the same Alabama team that lost 3 games--including a home game and a two-touchdown trouncing by the Ol Ball Coach's Gamecocks--and didn't even finish in the Top 15 of the final BCS standings? I thought the question was supposed to be about the 2010 season, not the 2009 season. :confused:

Based on bowl game performance I think Alabama wins a 16 team playoff. Of course an 8 team playoff leaves the Tide out in the cold. Now TCU knows how Auburn feels a few years ago when they went undefeated and were left out. Also quite a bowl season peformance from the SEC West with only Arkansas losing to OSU in a reasonably close game.

JohnGalt
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM

USC played one of the most complete games in its history to beat Alabama in that game. And that's coming from a fan. Not only that, it was early in the year so Carolina was able to jump on Alabama's overconfidence, as they were still favored to win it all again. Plus, Spurrier owns Saban.

They lost in Baton Rouge on a last second trick play by the Mad Hatter, Les Miles. Toss up.

And Cam Newton pulled out his internal Mike Vick to will Auburn back after Alabama had trounced them for most of the game. Bama shot itself in the foot with turnovers.

I know these are three huge caveats, but if any of you watched Alabama play most of the year, you'd know that if the first quarter of the USC game, the last quarter of the Auburn game, and the last second of the LSU game only went slightly better, Alabama would have been in the NC. All three of those teams played their Games of the Season against the Tide. (With the exception of the first half for Auburn). They would have won a playoff.

...Plus, they ran all over the Gators now didnt they?? :D

Sorry, Stray, had to...

allenmurray
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
There is insufficient data to make the determinatin. TCU hasn't yet played Auburn.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Auburn's the rightful champion.

There is no legitimate champion of FBS football.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
And the Sagarin computer rankings have Auburn and Stanford basically tied at the top spot.

Perhaps, but I think the Sagarin predictor may be overly impressed by Jim Harbaugh's lack of sportsmanship.

Kfanarmy
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
USC played one of the most complete games in its history to beat Alabama in that game. And that's coming from a fan. Not only that, it was early in the year so Carolina was able to jump on Alabama's overconfidence, as they were still favored to win it all again. Plus, Spurrier owns Saban.

They lost in Baton Rouge on a last second trick play by the Mad Hatter, Les Miles. Toss up.

And Cam Newton pulled out his internal Mike Vick to will Auburn back after Alabama had trounced them for most of the game. Bama shot itself in the foot with turnovers.

I know these are three huge caveats, but if any of you watched Alabama play most of the year, you'd know that if the first quarter of the USC game, the last quarter of the Auburn game, and the last second of the LSU game only went slightly better, Alabama would have been in the NC. All three of those teams played their Games of the Season against the Tide. (With the exception of the first half for Auburn). They would have won a playoff.

...Plus, they ran all over the Gators now didnt they?? :D

Sorry, Stray, had to...

So except for all their losses, Bama is #1 in the nation. Are they gonna count this season as a national championship as well?

Kfanarmy
01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Based on bowl game performance I think Alabama wins a 16 team playoff. Of course an 8 team playoff leaves the Tide out in the cold. Now TCU knows how Auburn feels a few years ago when they went undefeated and were left out. Also quite a bowl season peformance from the SEC West with only Arkansas losing to OSU in a reasonably close game.

Not if they have to play anyone away north of the mason dixon line.....Nay, the SEC does not want a playoff system where they have to travel.

JohnGalt
01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
When you look at Auburn's schedule, the fact that they went undefeated against it is one of the more impressive feats in recent college football history.

I'm not sure that I agree with this, Jason.

While they were hot at points during the season, I think you can call the season a neutral season for the Gamecocks. Maybe slightly up, but more likely neutral. They went to OlMiss, to MSU, and to Kentucky, as well. Road games in the SEC are never easy, but those three along with Carolina are pretty much the bottom of the SEC (with the only notable exclusion being Vandy). And last year was a down year in the SEC. MSU did trounce Michigan in the bowl game, but these days that's only slightly better than beating Notre Dame.

They beat Clemson and Georgia at home both of whom had down years. Georgia was only 3-5 in the SEC!

Other than that: Arkansas St, La Monroe, Chattanooga?

Really, Arkansas is the only team they played that you can honestly say was having a better than average year (by their standards). And they played them at home. Some may put LSU in that category too, but I'd prefer to say they were about average.

Kfanarmy
01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
As happens more often than not, the college football season ends without a true national champion. Who's the best team? Until there is a playoff system that incorporates the entire country in hosting games, there won't be a "legitmate" champion.

JohnGalt
01-11-2011, 12:05 PM
So except for all their losses, Bama is #1 in the nation. Are they gonna count this season as a national championship as well?

My only point is that in a tournament where you bring your A-game or get bounced, Alabama wins. Did they deserve to be in the NC this year? Absolutely not. But after watching the season, I consider them the best team. And therein lies the problem with the BCS System.

Someone should run a BCS for college basketball to see who "should" be playing for the NC rather than who actually wins their way there.

Kfanarmy
01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
My only point is that in a tournament where you bring your A-game or get bounced, Alabama wins. Did they deserve to be in the NC this year? Absolutely not. But after watching the season, I consider them the best team. And therein lies the problem with the BCS System.

Someone should run a BCS for college basketball to see who "should" be playing for the NC rather than who actually wins their way there. Fortunately college BB does it right, though I'd even prefer a double eliminatin...
By this year's example Bama would have lost every third or fourth game and never made it to a championship involving 32 teams or more. You are welcome to consider them anything you want to. By using your standard though approximately 1/3 of all FBS schools should consider themselves the "best team" in America. I remember two years ago going to the SugarBowl to watch what many bama fans thought was the "best team" in the nation get beat by Utah...trust me, the one loss that team had meant something. The three losses this team had, means even more.

rsvman
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Perhaps, but I think the Sagarin predictor may be overly impressed by Jim Harbaugh's lack of sportsmanship.

Ha! Best post in the thread.