PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully no one ever has to miss a game again

dukefan5656
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I recently moved to Korea, and in doing so moved half way around the world from my beloved Blue Devils. I was absolutely adiment that if I was going to miss an entire season of basketball, I would move home. However, I found an alternative to sacrificing my job. With the exception of maybe 2 games, I have been able to watch all of the other games on either Justin.tv or channelsurfing.com.

So for all of you Duke fans who are either in another state, country, or maybe at work I hope you have your own ways to watch games, if not, I hope this helps.

UrinalCake
01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
These two sites have been mentioned many times on this board. Unfortunately they're kind of hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a great feed, other times it will literally be a guy pointing his web cam at a television. Some of the feeds require you to install plugins. Often a feed will go down partway through the game due to broadcast rights infringement issues. I've used these sites before, but beware that they are not 100% guaranteed.

As a side note, I've often found the "ESPN Feed" on channelsurfing to be more reliable than the game-specific feed (for games that are carried on ESPN)

dukefan5656
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
These two sites have been mentioned many times on this board. Unfortunately they're kind of hit and miss. Sometimes you'll get a great feed, other times it will literally be a guy pointing his web cam at a television. Some of the feeds require you to install plugins. Often a feed will go down partway through the game due to broadcast rights infringement issues. I've used these sites before, but beware that they are not 100% guaranteed.

As a side note, I've often found the "ESPN Feed" on channelsurfing to be more reliable than the game-specific feed (for games that are carried on ESPN)

Ah gotcha, I just signed up and figured I would make sure everyone knew about these. Good to know Duke fans aren't missing games!

Namtilal
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
They're outright illegal. I am not above using them when necessary, but we need a better choice.

I see most games on ESPN3. I don't get it myself, but I noticed that i get it at my mom's house because she is a Comcast subscriber. Easy solution: I logged on to Comcast.net and made myself an email account, one of the several she gets for free.

I use this email's username and password to log on and watch ESPN3. Instant access to about 2/3 of our games, with no cost, and no piracy issues. Best of all, if I'm busy during a game, I just avoid any sports news and I can watch the game any time I want!

So, for a partial solution, try this. However, I don't know if ESPN3 is available overseas. Maybe with a proxy?

dukefan5656
01-11-2011, 02:33 AM
They're outright illegal. I am not above using them when necessary, but we need a better choice.

I see most games on ESPN3. I don't get it myself, but I noticed that i get it at my mom's house because she is a Comcast subscriber. Easy solution: I logged on to Comcast.net and made myself an email account, one of the several she gets for free.

I use this email's username and password to log on and watch ESPN3. Instant access to about 2/3 of our games, with no cost, and no piracy issues. Best of all, if I'm busy during a game, I just avoid any sports news and I can watch the game any time I want!

So, for a partial solution, try this. However, I don't know if ESPN3 is available overseas. Maybe with a proxy?

I would be happy to go about this in a legal fashion, but unfortunately that isn't an option. Proxies work, but only for browsing, they are way to slow to stream. And ESPN3 is completely unavailable overseas. They need to come up with some type of solution so people overseas can watch sports.

meloveduke
01-11-2011, 03:22 AM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=slingbox&hl=en&cid=10181090119838886457#p

buy this for someone in the states that is a hardcore duke fan. works worldwide.

flyingdutchdevil
01-11-2011, 05:09 AM
ESPN3.com is actually ESPN360 - you subscribe to it (around £13 a month) and you get all the ESPN games (plus play back) via the internet. I know that isn't all the games, but it certainly accounts for a substantial proportion.

Hope that helps.

Skitzle
01-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I live overseas.

Espn has a product in europe that I am able to access in istanbul called the ESPN Player (ESPNPlayer.com) 20 bucks a month for every college basketball game on ESPN.

The FSN and CBS games I watch Via slingbox (the espn player is higher quality or i would watch all my games via sling)

works beautifully

wilko
01-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Im in the States and would be at a point where I could cut the cord and go cableless; IF not for Duke games. The BBall games are pretty much appointment television. I can live with a few second delay.... but not much more.

I have Espn360 and a PS3 that can stream Netflix content... but I need a source to get ALL my Duke games in something that approaches reasonable quality.

Any insights on how to do this would be appreciated.

Indoor66
01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Im in the States and would be at a point where I could cut the cord and go cableless; IF not for Duke games. The BBall games are pretty much appointment television. I can live with a few second delay.... but not much more.

I have Espn360 and a PS3 that can stream Netflix content... but I need a source to get ALL my Duke games in something that approaches reasonable quality.

Any insights on how to do this would be appreciated.

A Duke loving friend and a Slingbox (http://www.slingbox.com/get/countrySelect?page=/go/home).

nocilla
01-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Another option is to go to a friend or relative's house that does have access and log in. (Or just get them to log in as you) Then click the 'remote access' button. You can then watch espn3 from home or anywhere you go with your own espn account.

A also agree that the 'ESPN' feed from channelsurfing is usually better quality than the game specific feed, although sometimes it is just as good.

I fired my satellite provider a year and a half ago and just put up an antenna. I used the $60/month I saved to buy a new Mac. Surprisingly, now I watch more Duke games than I ever have before. Although I don't get to hear Bob Harris anymore.

El_Diablo
01-11-2011, 08:43 AM

This is unintentionally hilarious.

wilko
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
A Duke loving friend and a Slingbox (http://www.slingbox.com/get/countrySelect?page=/go/home).

So... I'm supposed to tell my Duke-Loving friend ...
"Hey, I'm too cheap to pay for cable myself, but I wanna leave this expensive piece of Hardware at your house indefinitely so I can leech off the cable TV signal that you are still paying for..."

Somehow I can see my friend saying "great idea, I bought one of those, here is YOUR slingbox back..." If you could daisy-chain these together then eventually there would be 1 cable subscriber and 100 million sling boxes...

I find myself having a hard time initiating how I would discuss that with them....

I was hoping the answer would be something like:
Go to dukesports.com or espn360 and select some obscure esoteric named link and then register for a season pass for the school. Select School package(s) you wish to see at say 5 bucks a game and then you are guaranteed to have them all.... streamed to you.

Deslok
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
So... I'm supposed to tell my Duke-Loving friend ...
"Hey, I'm too cheap to pay for cable myself, but I wanna leave this expensive piece of Hardware at your house indefinitely so I can leech off the cable TV signal that you are still paying for..."

Somehow I can see my friend saying "great idea, I bought one of those, here is YOUR slingbox back..." If you could daisy-chain these together then eventually there would be 1 cable subscriber and 100 million sling boxes...

I find myself having a hard time initiating how I would discuss that with them....

I was hoping the answer would be something like:
Go to dukesports.com or espn360 and select some obscure esoteric named link and then register for a season pass for the school. Select School package(s) you wish to see at say 5 bucks a game and then you are guaranteed to have them all.... streamed to you.

What I did with my brother when he was one of the first to get a very nice high speed internet stream(which could consistently get me an upload stream for the slingbox to England of over 1 mbps) was to make him an off that it cost something like $5 a month for an extra cable box(with digital cable and the like, its much better to have a dedicated box for the slingbox so that you changing the channel doesn't affect his TV watching and vice versa). I basically gave him $100 for the year($60 for the cable box charge, $40 for the inconvenience and occassional reseting of routers etc when something goes wrong) to do it, so worked out for both of us.

wilko
01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I basically gave him $100 for the year($60 for the cable box charge, $40 for the inconvenience and occassional reseting of routers etc when something goes wrong) to do it, so worked out for both of us.

ahhh.
The bribe. How could I forget THAT? I obviously need more coffee.

UrinalCake
01-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I want to clarify that ESPN3.com (formerly ESPN360) does not stream ALL of the Duke games. It doesn't even stream all of the games that are shown on ESPN television. Think of ESPN3 as a separate entity that gets to pick and choose which games it wants to air from the pool of ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU broadcasts. I'm not really sure what basis they use for the decision of which games to make available. And it appears that the decisions are made only a few days in advance; there's no posted schedule for the entire season, but the "upcoming events" link will show what's coming up in the next week or so. A nice feature they have is that past events remain available in the archive section, though I think they expire after a few days.

Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they broadcast, but alas that is no more. I tried to watch some of the ACC games this past weekend and the quality was atrocious. I'm not sure they carry any Duke games. Come tournament time everything will be on CBS's website; they've done a great job making their stuff available to us cheapskates with no cable or TV's.

UrinalCake
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Also, ESPN3.com is carried on every college campus, so if your ISP doesn't carry it but you still have a student account, you can VPN into the Duke system and watch it from there. Unfortunately Duke's Office of Information Technology (OIT) trashes your account six months after you graduate, and there's no way for alumni to purchase an account on the Duke system.

moonpie23
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
i would think that an enterprising turk in the athletic office with knowledge of licensing and internet could come up with THE DUKE CHANNEL for streaming ALL games......

i'd pay....

by that i mean, I'D PAY if i DIDN'T have a slingbox and espn3, 4,5 6,-30, extra sports tier, hulu, ATdhe.net and all those other options....

dukee94
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they broadcast, but alas that is no more. I tried to watch some of the ACC games this past weekend and the quality was atrocious. I'm not sure they carry any Duke games. Come tournament time everything will be on CBS's website; they've done a great job making their stuff available to us cheapskates with no cable or TV's.

I believe the upcoming game against Boston College on the 27th will be only on Raycom. Disappointing to hear that the quality is bad since it was excellent in the past. I don't live in the Raycom viewing area, but my computer does. (I actually do have access to Slingboxes in two places in North Carolina, but the upload speed is not good enough to watch games.)

Kdogg
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I want to clarify that ESPN3.com (formerly ESPN360) does not stream ALL of the Duke games. It doesn't even stream all of the games that are shown on ESPN television. Think of ESPN3 as a separate entity that gets to pick and choose which games it wants to air from the pool of ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU broadcasts. I'm not really sure what basis they use for the decision of which games to make available. And it appears that the decisions are made only a few days in advance; there's no posted schedule for the entire season, but the "upcoming events" link will show what's coming up in the next week or so. A nice feature they have is that past events remain available in the archive section, though I think they expire after a few days.

ESPN and Time Warner are rolling out a new service at ESPNnetworks.com that will eventually stream all ESPN programming. It only has ESPN now but will add ESPN2, ESPNU and a few other ESPN programming. The best it you will be able to get it on mobile devices in the future.

devildownunder
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
I live overseas.

Espn has a product in europe that I am able to access in istanbul called the ESPN Player (ESPNPlayer.com) 20 bucks a month for every college basketball game on ESPN.

The FSN and CBS games I watch Via slingbox (the espn player is higher quality or i would watch all my games via sling)

works beautifully

Unfortunately, this service is not available in Australia. Like others have said, I'm happy to use a legal option and pay for it but there isn't one at the moment. It was particularly frustrating when espn had a link saying "click here to view in Australia" on their Fullcourt Online homepage. I clicked it, couldn't get it to work, contacted customer service. The guy told me "Oh yeah, it's not available in Australia." Well then, why the link???

That said, I do get to see most games.