PDA

View Full Version : BCS Championship game

hurleyfor3
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't care who wins, but those unis Oregon is wearing are horrible. It's like two dozen penalty flags on the field.

devil84
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
At least you can see it. ESPN is the only channel in the Cary (Raleigh? Triangle?) area that is unavailable. Tech support says it'll be 2-3 hours before they can fix it. Arrggggh.

Devilsfan
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Didn't Phil Nite personally pick them out?

hurleyfor3
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Also, Oregon's helmets create horrible moire patterns on my teevee. I am watching on a tube teevee that receives and displays HD signals. Yes, they made these for a couple years.

Duvall
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Ted Roof's defense is playing hard early, but looks to be wearing down as the game goes on. Didn't see that coming.

throatybeard
01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
early observations:

1) the "first to 60" predictions look wrong.

2) I had no dog in this game, but Oregon's uniforms make me want Auburn to win 320 to nothing.

MulletMan
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
early observations:

1) the "first to 60" predictions look wrong.

2) I had no dog in this game, but Oregon's uniforms make me want Auburn to win 320 to nothing.

Ouch. Missing the completely open receiver. Perhaps the $200K is weighing down the old throwing shoulder, eh, Cam?

And as I type that... SAFETY!

Man... these offenses are awesome.

davekay1971
01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Nice TD pass by Newton, and I think he'll be a good pro quarterback, but I'm not seeing enough to make me want the Tabbies...er...Panthers to take him with the number 1 pick. Fairley or Bowers, Fairley or Bowers, Fairley or Bowers...

Devilsfan
01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Looks like the $180,000 was a bargin.

mikegismynewhero
01-10-2011, 10:18 PM
oregon's unis are legit..i hope they can come back from 5 down and capture this title from $cam Newton..QUACK QUACK..if you are looking for incentive to root for oregon just think EJ goes there

mikegismynewhero
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
also..oregon will be a great team again next year..auburn won't be a big deal until they find another player worth...one hundred eighty thousand dollars!! (Dr. Evil pinky move) :D

superdave
01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
All I knew about Oregon coming in was the following-
1. Stud RB.
2. They try to get off an offensive play every 15 seconds.
3. Undefeated.

My reaction after the first half -
1. Stud RB is under-sized but quick.
2. Auburn got plays off faster than Oregon.
3. Oregon is like a more talented Boise.

Granted I'm no college football fanatic, but Oregon just strikes me as an odd team. Lots of team speed and they are aggressive to boot. But if Auburn sticks to running the ball and controlling the clock, they'll wear out the smaller Ducks.

Bluedog
01-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Oregon has been ridiculously aggressive with their play calls. Trick 2 point conversion where the kicker dished is off in the second quarter to go up with 4 - successful. Fake punt attempt on their own 40 in the 3rd quarter - kicker had a 7 yard completion. Going for it on 4th and 1 a couple times and failing. It's been entertaining for sure, but it seems like Oregon just hasn't gotten over that hump. Down 8 and need that TD on 4th and 1 from the 1, and couldn't get it. I hope they pull it out...Auburn's D actually looks really good. Oregon's no huddle offense has caught them off guard a couple times (including getting a late substitution penalty) but overall Auburn has been prepared for it and Fairley (or whatever his name is) is a complete beast and the best player on the field, in my uneducated football prospect analyzer opinion.

SCMatt33
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
So at the end of the day, it looks like Cecil Newton was able to sell a championship for a few hundred thousand, but Phil Knight's millions weren't enough to buy one.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
So at the end of the day, it looks like Cecil Newton was able to sell a championship for a few hundred thousand, but Phil Knight's millions weren't enough to buy one.

Sounds like a market failure to me. Cecil should have held out for seven figures.

CLW
01-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I HATE the Ducks uniforms but I HATE Newton and his $200K to play more. The NCAA REALLY screwed the pooch with that ruling.

Bluedog
01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, Auburn won on a last second 19 yard FG. Too bad. Oregon showed a lot of heart and had some nice trick plays up their sleeves, but the D line of Auburn just abused them all game long. The Oregon QB would have 3 seconds to throw it if he was lucky all game long and there were a couple goaline stops. And, of course, the ridiculous run that Auburn had when it looked like he was down and stopped running, until the sidelines told him to continue to run...he just was extremely lucky he was completely on top of his tackler when he got tackled so his knee never hit the ground. That half an inch was possibly the difference in the game. Great great game to watch at least. Quite entertaining.

First national championship for Auburn since 1957.

DevilHorns
01-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Congrats to Auburn.

Bizarre that the Auburn coach pretty much dodged every single opportunity to say something/anything about their worthy opponent, Oregon. Weird to see that these days.

IBleedBlue
01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I think Oregon's uniforms are more contemporary and urban style compared to Auburn's old school conservative uniforms. These colors and patterns are vogue. Consider this - If Duke is playing for BCS Football championship for the first time ever and Nike gets us striking new uniforms to go with the game, what would you feel?

msdukie
01-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Ted Roof = National Champion

DukeCrow
01-11-2011, 02:04 AM
And, of course, the ridiculous run that Auburn had when it looked like he was down and stopped running, until the sidelines told him to continue to run...he just was extremely lucky he was completely on top of his tackler when he got tackled so his knee never hit the ground.

The funny thing about that play is that almost the identical thing happened in the Sugar Bowl -- Ohio St. vs. Arkansas -- but the Arkansas player was ruled down because his wrist touched the ground. On replays it looked like the Auburn player's wrist also hit the ground, but the refs didn't see it that way.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/1/11/1927960/auburn-michael-dyer-wrist-was-down

wgl1228
01-11-2011, 07:48 AM
The NCAA had to be rooting for Oregon because if anything comes out about Newton the title must be revoked and they will look like imbeciles. Why do I get the feeling a year or two from now this will come to fruition?

superdave
01-11-2011, 08:54 AM
The NCAA had to be rooting for Oregon because if anything comes out about Newton the title must be revoked and they will look like imbeciles. Why do I get the feeling a year or two from now this will come to fruition?

How long did it take to nail Reggie Bush? 5 years? Could be similar for Newton.

I actually liked the Ducks' unis. Pretty cool looking with the battleship grey and the accents. The helmets were the best, although I am not a fan of the feathers on the shoulders.

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM

I doubt it will take that long. The NCAA just paused the ruling for the bowl ratings. I'll be shocked if Auburn still holds this title in a year.

godukerocks
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
"This one is for all the Tostitos."

May just be me, but I thought that line before the kick was a little odd, and the call after the game winner seemed somewhat unenthusiastic from Musburger. Anyone notice?

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 10:07 AM

May just be me, but I thought that line before the kick was a little odd, and the call after the game winner seemed somewhat unenthusiastic from Musburger. Anyone notice?

Brent is 127 years old.

hurleyfor3
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

I was wondering how much he got from PepsiCo for saying that.

allenmurray
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I saw nothing from either team to make be believe TCU wouldn't have been competitive with either of them.

But the purple uniforms would have been a nice contrast to the neon yellow.

JasonEvans
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
I just heard that the over/under on the game was 73 points.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! I have never heard of a total points line that high. I would have been all over the under if I had been in Vegas. Sure, I know these are both high powered offenses, but they are competitive teams and I think asking each of them to score in the mid-30s is asking a lot.

I look like a dork for saying this after the game is over and they barely reached 40 combined points, but I would have jumped on the under had I known about it.

-Jason "73... wow" Evans

Neals384
01-11-2011, 10:43 AM
And, of course, the ridiculous run that Auburn had when it looked like he was down and stopped running, until the sidelines told him to continue to run...he just was extremely lucky he was completely on top of his tackler when he got tackled so his knee never hit the ground. That half an inch was possibly the difference in the game. Great great game to watch at least. Quite entertaining.

Every player should have learned in Pop Warner that you keep going until you hear a whistle.

One of the neatest plays I've ever seen was a kickoff return by Maurice Jones-Drew (Jacksonville Jags) when he was in high school at De La Salle. He returned the kick up the right sideline, was clearly tackled near midfield, but he landed on top of the tackler, making a complete somersault in the process, and kept going for the TD.

Even if the Ducks make that tackle, Auburn probably would have gone on to score anyway...but I'm proud of my Ducks anyway for hanging tough against a clearly-better Auburn team.

Jarhead
01-11-2011, 11:30 AM
...but I'm proud of my Ducks anyway for hanging tough against a clearly-better Auburn team.

Speaking as a disinterested spectator, I'd have to agree with your assessment of Auburn as the better team. Not much, though. In fact, both teams looked out of tune when considering how well they both looked during the regular season. After all, it had been over five weeks since either of them had played a game. That's not the way to run a championship match. To be done right the game should have been played sometime before Christmas, say about the 23rd of December.

Well, what about the other bowl games? Yeah, but so what. They were 34 meaningless games, except to the colleges that participated in them, something akin to the NIT for basketball
Nothing excites me less than meaningless games. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif

SCMatt33
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM

No matter what happens, Auburn will still hold on to half of a championship. Only the BCS championship was vacated for 2004, the AP did not vacate it's championship because Bush was eligible at the time the game was played. I assume that they would follow the same precedent for Auburn should it be necessary. I still can't get over that USC owns back to back titles in 03-04 according to the AP, but none according to the BCS.

moonpie23
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
actually, to have been "done right", they should have had to play TCU and BS to GET to this game...

PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !! PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!PLAY - OFF !!

tommy
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

I did, and I kind of felt the same way.

I think there are two reasons for it. One is that the kick was anti-climactic. It was an extra point, so there was zero suspense in whether he was going to make it. Had it been a 40 or 45 yarder, the sense of excitement with it being made would have been far greater.

But more than that, the whole game just felt like an anti-climactic end to the season. It wasn't particularly well-played or exciting. Moreover, the fact that the game wasn't played until January 10 I really feel was a factor as well.

It's bad enough that the game isn't on Jan 1 with all the others, like it used to be. Bad enough it's not the next day, or the day after that. But to put it NINE days after the New Year's Day games? A lot of people have kind of mentally and emotionally moved on. College football feels over after the barrage of games on New Year's for a lot of people, and certainly within a couple of days of that. To just draw it out further and further like this, all the way to January 10 -- I think a lot of people, despite their having sat down to watch the game, have nevetheless kind of checked out.

Indoor66
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

The problem for Brent was that there were no Big 10 teams present. He had no interest.

Chitowndevil
01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Here's one for the sports history buffs: The SEC has now won 5 straight NCAA Football titles. More impressively (to me) is that four different schools (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and LSU) are a part of that streak. How far back do you have to go to find a comparable run in a major college sport, specifically where three or four *different* teams combined for a 4-5 year streak or say 6 out of 8? Of the top of my head I couldn't find one in basketball (discounting UCLA's run as that's just one team).

Vincetaylor
01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Congrats to Auburn.

Bizarre that the Auburn coach pretty much dodged every single opportunity to say something/anything about their worthy opponent, Oregon. Weird to see that these days.

Noticed the same thing. Wasn't impressed by him at all. I predict Auburn's program will fall apart and he will be gone within 4 years.

gus
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Here's one for the sports history buffs: The SEC has now won 5 straight NCAA Football titles. More impressively (to me) is that four different schools (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and LSU) are a part of that streak. How far back do you have to go to find a comparable run in a major college sport, specifically where three or four *different* teams combined for a 4-5 year streak or say 6 out of 8? Of the top of my head I couldn't find one in basketball (discounting UCLA's run as that's just one team).

the ACC has 5 of the past 10 men's basketball titles spread over three schools. It also had 5/10 with 3 schools from 1983 - 1992 as well.

Reilly
01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
the ACC has 5 of the past 10 men's basketball titles spread over three schools. It also had 5/10 with 3 schools from 1983 - 1992 as well.

small correction: 5/12 from 82-93, isn't it (unc 82, state 83, duke 91-92, unc 93)

gus
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
small correction: 5/12 from 82-93, isn't it (unc 82, state 83, duke 91-92, unc 93)

yeah, you're right. I need to go get more coffee.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Here's one for the sports history buffs: The SEC has now won 5 straight NCAA Football titles.

The SEC has won five straight BCS titles, not NCAA titles.

That seems like pedantry, but it isn't - it's simply easier to win a string of titles in a system rigged to favor six leagues over the rest of the country than it would be to it in a system where thirty conferences have a level playing field.

hurley1
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Noticed the same thing. Wasn't impressed by him at all. I predict Auburn's program will fall apart and he will be gone within 4 years.

Same here. I thought it showed a complete lack of ciass, especially considering the score was tied with 2 seconds left on the clock. The first thing out of Coach K's mouth in that situation would have been praise for the very worthy opponent. Remember Kentucky ? I believe that trophy will not be in Alabama for long. I think it is sad that they let Scam Newton play if they knew he was guilty.

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Turns out, that phrase marked the end of civilization (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/great-game-sport-civilization-ruined-by-speaking-o,18791/).

TampaDuke
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
But more than that, the whole game just felt like an anti-climactic end to the season. It wasn't particularly well-played or exciting. Moreover, the fact that the game wasn't played until January 10 I really feel was a factor as well.

It's bad enough that the game isn't on Jan 1 with all the others, like it used to be. Bad enough it's not the next day, or the day after that. But to put it NINE days after the New Year's Day games? A lot of people have kind of mentally and emotionally moved on. College football feels over after the barrage of games on New Year's for a lot of people, and certainly within a couple of days of that. To just draw it out further and further like this, all the way to January 10 -- I think a lot of people, despite their having sat down to watch the game, have nevetheless kind of checked out.

How else would the NCAA have found the time to stage such classics as Middle Tenn v. Miami Ohio, Pitt v. Kentucky, LSU v. Texas A&M, and BC v. Nevada in the run-up to the BCS championship game?:D

A-Tex Devil
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
- It's comical how angry people get at Oregon's uniforms. Calm down and go read "Who Moved my Cheese" I think they are cool.

- Fairley was the best player BY FAR on either side last night. I've never seen a guy, not even Suh, be able to cover both the QB and the RB on the zone read like he did several times. Kirk said the Oregon QB made the wrong read, but I think Fairley gets either guy several times.

- Agree Auburn will be forfeiting this title at some point. Once the FBI is done with Bobby Lowder, the NCAA will be able to step in and see what really happened. Pure speculation on my part, but I find it hard to believe money was offered at MSU (where Cam wanted to play -- for Dan Mullen -- by the way) and not at Auburn.

- The grounds crew at U.Phoenix stadium should all be fired. That was a disaster and although both teams had to deal with field conditions, it affected Oregon's game much, much more.

- I think each of TCU, Stanford, Wisconsin, Auburn, and Oregon could beat the other on a neutral field on any given night. Maybe throw Ohio St. in there too. But I'm not sure the teams playing in Rose Bowl weren't better than teams in BCS Championship game.

- Oregon's QB and RB are from Texas.:mad::mad::mad:

SoCalDukeFan
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Brett M is about my least favorite announcer. I understand from those that know him that he is a great guy, but I have lots of problems with him as an announcer.

First time I ever heard Roof referred to as "Teddy Roof." Does he go by that ever?

Thanks
SoCal

Reilly
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Brett M is about my least favorite announcer. I understand from those that know him that he is a great guy, but I have lots of problems with him as an announcer.

First time I ever heard Roof referred to as "Teddy Roof." Does he go by that ever?

Thanks
SoCal

I believe Roof went by Teddy when shooting three-balls in The Cameron.

cakerace
01-12-2011, 05:49 AM
at least a lot of thought went into them:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663020/how-nikes-visual-tricks-made-oregon-look-fast-despite-defeat

I do like them better than the Big Ten re-branding...

JasonEvans
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I believe Roof went by Teddy when shooting three-balls in The Cameron.

I am most surely showing my age and am far from certain about this, but there was a time back in the 1980s when Brent Musberger was doing a Duke game and referred to Marty Nessley as "The Puma."

All of us watching the game at the time said, "What?!?!" Now, you have to understand that I was a student at the time and I either went to or watched every single Duke game with an intense passion. My friends were exactly the same. We all agreed we had never, ever heard Nessley referred to as, "The Puma" before Brent uttered the nickname. It was like he just made it up on the spot.

He has a history of doing this kind of thing, which is why I often say, "The Brent is The Worst... especially when he is in The Cameron"

--Jason "does anyone else recall this Nessley story? Evans

slower
01-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I am most surely showing my age and am far from certain about this, but there was a time back in the 1980s when Brent Musberger was doing a Duke game and referred to Marty Nessley as "The Puma."

All of us watching the game at the time said, "What?!?!" Now, you have to understand that I was a student at the time and I either went to or watched every single Duke game with an intense passion. My friends were exactly the same. We all agreed we had never, ever heard Nessley referred to as, "The Puma" before Brent uttered the nickname. It was like he just made it up on the spot.

He has a history of doing this kind of thing, which is why I often say, "The Brent is The Worst... especially when he is in The Cameron"

Apparently, Marty is on Twitter (Marty7ft2). Maybe somebody can fact-check it with him. ;)

And, yes, listening to Brent is painful.

**UPDATE - looks like Marty hasn't Tweeted for over a year. Oh, well.

Scoring Point
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I thought it was the late, great Al McGuire who dubbed Marty the "Puma", done strictly in jest of course.

Mal
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: those uniforms, I actually thought the helmets were pretty cool. The socks were terrible, and I'm not a fan of the wings on the shoulder thing - it looks more like some sort of Native American decorative necklace or something (maybe that's intentional) than anything that evokes an actual duck.

I don't at all begrudge Oregon's constant changing of its unis, color schemes, etc. They don't have the football tradition and history of a place like Auburn or Penn State upon which to draw, so why bother harking back to the 1940's? Create your own, new history. Certainly, sometimes you can introduce too many new elements into uniforms all at once, and it will fall flat, and occasionally they're just garish to a lot of people. But I think they're going for "our tradition is that we don't hold to any traditions," which is unique. I'm sure that appeals to some recruits - the unis are flashy and present the program as in the vanguard and willing to take risks.