PDA

View Full Version : The back court pick on Nolan 3 years ago shown repeatedly by CSN fo the DC area

wva_iron_duke
01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Does the Comcast Sports Network consider that pick against Maryland when Nolan had a concussion the rallying moment for Terp fans? Literally, the CSN commentators were talking about Nolan being a local player and everything positive and the editing leaves the live set and then shows Nolan lying on the floor after the pick. This was done twice with two consecutive edits- just before tha game and at halftime.
Is this the CSN logo for the "Md Duke game? Is this their logo for their new rivalry?
I emailed CSN that showing this repeatedly was appalling and and an embarrassment to the quality commentary by their commentators.

Tom B.
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Does the Comcast Sports Network consider that pick against Maryland when Nolan had a concussion the rallying moment for Terp fans? Literally, the CSN commentators were talking about Nolan being a local player and everything positive and the editing leaves the live set and then shows Nolan lying on the floor after the pick. This was done twice with two consecutive edits- just before tha game and at halftime.

Is this the CSN logo for the "Md Duke game? Is this their logo for their new rivalry?

I emailed CSN that showing this repeatedly was appalling and and an embarrassment to the quality commentary by their commentators.

I'm in the CSN coverage area (Richmond), so I saw it too. They showed it at least three or four times as they were going to commercial during the pre-game and halftime shows. It wasn't even like it was part of a highlight montage -- they just showed that one clip, over and over again. At one point, the following discussion with my wife (who didn't go to either Duke or Maryland) occurred:

Her: That's like the third time they've showed that clip of the Duke guy getting knocked down. Is that Nolan Smith?

Me: Yes.

Her: Why do they keep showing that one clip?

Me: I don't know.

Her: When did that happen?

Me: A couple of years ago.

Her: So why is it relevant now?

Me: I don't know. I guess they figure the Maryland fans like it.

Her: That's stupid.

Funny how they didn't show the play on the next Duke possession in that game, when Gerald Henderson took off down the lane and threw down a monster dunk over Neal and the rest of the Maryland team.

Also, I don't think the commentators announcing the game itself were CSN's. The game was a Fox Sports Net broadcast, and CSN is the Fox Sports Net affiliate for the VA/DC/MD/WV region. The pre-game and halftime show and studio crews were CSN's (and it was CSN that kept showing the Neal pick "highlight"), but I'm pretty sure the game announcers (Brando, Gminski and Hildreth) were a Fox crew.

The joy of having CSN as the FSN affiliate for my region is that I can count on missing at least a couple of Duke games each season in favor of a Capitals game, a Wizards game, or the Redskins or Ravens post-game shows.

sagegrouse
01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
The joy of having CSN as the FSN affiliate for my region is that I can count on missing at least a couple of Duke games each season in favor of a Capitals game, a Wizards game, or the Redskins or Ravens post-game shows.

Tom: The DC area viewers usually get the overflow game on an alternate channel, such #21 on DC Comcast. Your cable provider may not have it, but DirecTV would.

sagegrouse

Danke Shane
01-10-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm glad someone else noticed this too. It definitely jumped out at me as being pretty tasteless and bizarre. During the halftime show, every time they went to commercial instead of showing a random highlight of the game in progress over music, they showed Nolan getting blasted. It wasn't some sort of "rivalry montage" nor was any background information provided. They just kept replaying it as if it were a "great moment in MD/Duke history".

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah, this had me very angry last night. It had no relevance to any point made in the halftime show or by any commentators. It was almost as if whoever made the package said hey remember how awesome it was when Neal leveled Nolan. What jerks.