PDA

View Full Version : In-Stadium Announcer

PallasAthena
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
We seemed to have a new in-Stadium announcer last night who, in my opinion, was 100 times better than the person who has been doing the announcing since the season began.

Does anyone know who the announcer was last night, whether it was a one-time substitution or possibly a permanent change?

New Guy was so much more spontaneous, at ease, and right on top of things. He didn't need the boring "A (pause) foul (pause) has (pause) been (pause) called (pause) on (pause) Duke (pause) and (pause) on (pause) number (pause) 12 (pause) Kyle (pause) Singler," just good old "foul on Duke's Kyle Singler."

Olympic Fan
01-10-2011, 11:09 AM
The announcer was Art Chase, who is Duke's football sports information director.

Unfortunately, I think the replacement was temporary ... not sure what the reason was.

PS Did anybody else notice that while the pep band, the mascot, the dance team and most of the Crazies were back for the Maryland game, the cheerleaders were still missing?

PallasAthena
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
the cheerleaders were still missing?

Uh, the cheerleaders were there in force. In fact, we were commenting on their new footwear -- it made us think at first that they were barefoot. They are wearing some sort of flesh-toned slip-on shoe. Looks like it would break my mom's rule about "good support for your feet."

mkline09
01-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I believe the new guy, Trip Durham, is coming from Elon. He replaces the long time voice of the Blue Devils' Art Chandler. It isn't an easy gig and while I haven't been to a game at Cameron since he took over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Change is tough and replacing an icon like Chandler is no easy task. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the Duke Football announcer who, at least to me God awful.

devilsadvocate85
01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Uh, the cheerleaders were there in force. In fact, we were commenting on their new footwear -- it made us think at first that they were barefoot. They are wearing some sort of flesh-toned slip-on shoe. Looks like it would break my mom's rule about "good support for your feet."

I was curious why the cheerleaders were absent as well.

Bluedog
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Yeah, at first I thought they were cheerleaders too without cheerleader uniforms (more dance troupe uniforms). But you could notice they never went out on the floor to conduct cheers (when coming back from commercial break you often see them running back to the sidelines with large signs). So, at that point, I knew it was the Dancing Devils (more like a dancing troupe), not the cheerleaders. I guess they just took the cheerleaders typical spot and sported pom poms, but didn't actually do any tumbling/leading of the cheers.

PS Did anybody else notice that while the pep band, the mascot, the dance team and most of the Crazies were back for the Maryland game, the cheerleaders were still missing?

The pep wasn't all current undergraduates for this game. Recent pep band grads were invited to come back to play and get into the game for free if they could get to Durham since there weren't enough current students to play. And most of the Crazies weren't back either. You can see on the sides that there were a lot of older people in the student section who bought tickets. There are 3-4 mascots, so I guess one came back early...

Newton_14
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I believe the new guy, Trip Durham, is coming from Elon. He replaces the long time voice of the Blue Devils' Art Chandler. It isn't an easy gig and while I haven't been to a game at Cameron since he took over, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. Change is tough and replacing an icon like Chandler is no easy task. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the Duke Football announcer who, at least to me God awful.

Correct, but Trip is the guy who was absent last night. He had announced all prior games this year, but missed last night for some reason, and Art was doing it instead.

mkline09
01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Correct, but Trip is the guy who was absent last night. He had announced all prior games this year, but missed last night for some reason, and Art was doing it instead.

Did Art Chase do last night's game or Art Chandler.

I got the fact that Durham wasn't at the game last night just stating that I wasn't going to call the guy out just yet as he is replacing a legend.

Devilsfan
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
The announcer last night was remarkable. He even knew our players' names. The cheerleaders looked great and represent Duke on national TV very well for the most part.

strawman
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Trip was under the weather that is why he wasn't in doing the game. I think he has done a good job so far this year. It is tough replacing someone you've gotten used to hearing for years.

Newton_14
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM

I got the fact that Durham wasn't at the game last night just stating that I wasn't going to call the guy out just yet as he is replacing a legend.

It was Art Chase. Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. My bad.

CBDUKE
01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

If I am not mistaken, and I could be, he is the football announcer also.

weezie
01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I was curious why the cheerleaders were absent as well.

My guess is that there weren't enough of them to fill the squad, maybe sorority rush, so they went with the dancing ladies.

It was an interesting change.

UrinalCake
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Recent pep band grads were invited to come back to play...

I was wondering why there was a 5o year-old man laying on the ground while the Devil did his surf board routine. I was seriously kind of worried about the guy though, he looked a little slow in getting up 8-)

I'm not a fan of the piped in theatrics that they've brought in. Still way less than at other arenas, but not too long ago Cameron was totally devoid of the blaring music, video intros, and electronic advertisements. I guess you have to pay the bills somehow.

On the other hand, the halftime jump rope group was phenomenal!

mehmattski
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I was wondering why there was a 5o year-old man laying on the ground while the Devil did his surf board routine. I was seriously kind of worried about the guy though, he looked a little slow in getting up 8-)

I'm not a fan of the piped in theatrics that they've brought in. Still way less than at other arenas, but not too long ago Cameron was totally devoid of the blaring music, video intros, and electronic advertisements. I guess you have to pay the bills somehow.

On the other hand, the halftime jump rope group was phenomenal!

That "man" is actually Biology professor and Vice Provost Steve Nowicki: http://www.biology.duke.edu/nowicki/about.html

And he actually plays several brass instruments at most home games, and frequently does the blue devil surfing thing. During last night's version, he got up and threw a nice little "nyah nyah" taunt as he passed the Maryland huddle.

airowe
01-10-2011, 01:13 PM

If I am not mistaken, and I could be, he is the football announcer also.

It was Art Chase. And you're correct. Trip Durham is also the football announcer. So, I guess you did kind of call him out. :eek:

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2011, 01:18 PM

My dad and step-mom have taken to wearing ear plugs this year. The noise level is much louder than the past, and that's too bad. Cameron is one of those venues that doesn't need added noise to make the game more exciting.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
My dad and step-mom have taken to wearing ear plugs this year. The noise level is much louder than the past, and that's too bad. Cameron is one of those venues that doesn't need added noise to make the game more exciting.
In fact, the added noise level is a bit synthetic, artificial and detracts from the genuine in-house enthusiasm.

B-well
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Last night's announcer was terrific. His calls were precise, timely and accurate and to quote my Cameron neighbor:

"The new regular guy sounds like the emcee at a strip club - when he says "Welcome back to the floor......"

This year, we have had more verbage and less game information than any time in the last 30 years. The former Elon standout has called exactly one assist and no rejections, and we are really tired of his drawn out boring call of fouls. It is almost as bad as his first-down calls in football.

We were hoping last night's change was permanent.

Acymetric
01-10-2011, 02:41 PM
So I guess I was the only one that didn't like the sub? His voice was way too abrasive for me, I didn't like listening to it at all...regardless of how informative he was.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
The cheerleaders were not required to be back for last night's game, so the Dancing Devils subbed for them. Very strange.

The cheerleaders did not travel to The Meadowlands for the Butler game, yet the Butler cheerleaders were there. Apparently a cost saving move on the University's part. Very cheap if you ask me, especially for the reigning National Champions. They are not scheduled to go to Madison Square Garden when we play St Johns either. That's a true away game, I can understand that. Butler was our annual "home" game in NY and the cheerleaders and Devil should have been there.

As for last night's PA announcer, he was different, but then so is our regular new guy. Both are little too entertaining. I just prefer Art Chandler's and Bob
Shepherd's understated style to Michael Buffer's Let's Get Readdy to Rummmmmbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllllle!

msdukie
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Is it bad that I could tell that Art Chase was better than Trip Durham on FSN's lousy (and frequently green) feed?

Seriously, Trip Durham's hire was change for change's sake. Dr. Chandler indicated that he could have gone a couple more years, but that Duke wanted to go in a new direction.

Yes, the change in atmosphere is disappointing...and should be brought to the attention of the proper people.

And can someone answer my question as to why the gothic "D"s were removed from the North and South endzones after the exhibition games? The fact that lights shine on the empty spaces makes it look even stupider.