PDA

View Full Version : Officials: So Who Are These Guys?

gus
01-10-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm unclear what to make of these three charts. I don't think the "total fouls called" stats on their own tell us anything relevant, particularly with regard to the question posed: "so who are these guys?"

I bet these foul trends correspond very closely to the number of games each official has worked, but surely there is a more direct way to determine that number.

mehmattski
01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm unclear what to make of these three charts. I don't think the "total fouls called" stats on their own tell us anything relevant, particularly with regard to the question posed: "so who are these guys?"

I bet these foul trends correspond very closely to the number of games each official has worked, but surely there is a more direct way to determine that number.

Agreed, especially since more relevant stats are right there on statsheet. For example, for Mike Kitts (http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/mike-kitts/trends), his fouls per game has actually had an interesting downward decline in the last few years.

HateCarolina
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
While I do appreciate the DBR owners providing us with interesting info, I'm glad I was not the only one completely confused by the chart's relevance. It seems like you need some additional data to really find them useful.

FishStick
01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Agreed, especially since more relevant stats are right there on statsheet. For example, for Mike Kitts (http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/mike-kitts/trends), his fouls per game has actually had an interesting downward decline in the last few years.

In fact, as Gus suggested the total fouls looks extremely correlated to the number of games reffed particularly in 2010-11.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2760/screenshot20110110at124.png

As posted, the figures are extremely misleading and even moreso without any explanatory text. Was the point that there were too few fouls called during the game? If so, these were not the best figures to use.

HateCarolina
01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
You gotta love Duke fans...we're on here commenting on statistics and their correlations...over on the Carolina and Kentucky sites their probably commenting on the new hand breaded chicken strips at Hardee's.

jdj4duke
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
You gotta love Duke fans...we're on here commenting on statistics and their correlations...over on the Carolina and Kentucky sites their probably commenting on the new hand breaded chicken strips at Hardee's.

Nope; they, along with the Terp fans, are on their sites complaining that Duke gets all the calls, draws fake charges, and has the refs on the payroll. Tedious but true.

JG Nothing
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Well, to be fair, threads about barbeque are always "on-topic" at the DBR. :p