PDA

View Full Version : UNC cutting the nets

watzone
03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Yep! UNC is cutting down the nets for their 1st place tie with UVA. Looking back, we'd have cut a lot of nets;)

ChrisP
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm guessing a week...

Boswell
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Yep! UNC is cutting down the nets for their 1st place tie with UVA. Looking back, we'd have cut a lot of nets;)

It will look nice next to the 3rd Place NIT Banner, but maybe they need some stitches for Tyler's nose.

TheDuke11
03-04-2007, 06:57 PM
It will look nice next to the 3rd Place NIT Banner, but maybe they need some stitches for Tyler's nose.

:standing ovation

post of the year!!!!

throatybeard
03-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Credits to LobsterDevil, AKA Orin Day. Heck, if you can get his permission, sized down that would be a heck of an avatar!

http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/3rdplaceNIT.jpg

Milbarge
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Roy Williams said in his post-game chat that they only cut down one net because they were only co-champs, and that UVA was welcome to drive down and cut down the other. Now that I'd like to see.

allenmurray
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Even if he didn't copyright it he is part of our communty, and as a decent show of respect we wouldn't use one of his photographs without his permission.

dukewray
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
If I was Dave Leitao I'd be there in 3 hours.....

superdave
03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
I hope no one accuses this UNC team of having title hopes. Roy said earlier this week he wasnt concerned about his team's ACC tourney play ( I under stand, but sets a really bad tone with a team as talented and dep a that one).
With UNC laying down at the close of games, I'd pick most good mid majors over them.
That's only a very small consolation prize as a Duke fan, but reminds me on UNC's 94 and 98 teams.

throatybeard
03-04-2007, 07:33 PM
It's got his marker on it, I orally credited him, and DBR has used the image on its front page before. But I'll email him too just to make sure it's OK.

Chris92Heel
03-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Classy.

Maybe while we're looking for stitches y'all can try and locate someone who can guard him.

Duke15304
03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
lets not talk class, TH is the same guy who threw multiple elbows throughout the game, you guys had your starters in, not only that, he tried to dunk up 16 pts, yea and we are the ones who need class?, give me a break

Boswell
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Classy.

Maybe while we're looking for stitches y'all can try and locate someone who can guard him.

Hey, Chris, good to see you again. Things been better? Drop me a note when you can.

TheDuke11
03-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Zoubek did a fine job of guarding him today and McClure did more than a fine job last time.

hurleyfor3
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Roy Williams said in his post-game chat that they only cut down one net because they were only co-champs, and that UVA was welcome to drive down and cut down the other. Now that I'd like to see.

By that argument, Duke should have cut down one of the nets in the Dean Dome when it beat unc for a first-place tie in the standings in 2001. Then K could have magnanimously "allowed" D'Oh to cut down the other net, becuase unc still had a share of the lead.

FishStick
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Zoubek did a fine job of guarding him today and McClure did more than a fine job last time.

Except when Zoubs got called for fouling him when breathing on him too hard. Lance had similar issues.

Drebly1
03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
With UNC laying down at the close of games, I'd pick most good mid majors over them.

My guess is that you are basing your comments on Barry Jacobs' statistical analysis that suggests Roy Williams does not do well in tight games. Carolina's 25 wins were by an average of 24 points, while their 6 losses were by an average of 4.7. I'll use 10 points as the definition of a "close game" for UNC given that Carolina is #1 in the nation in scoring margin and #2in ppg. In games decided by 10 points or fewer the Heels are 4-6. In games decided by 11 or more points they are 20-0. It seems to me that Roy's coaching record is pretty strong this year, and that analysis of games decided by a margin of <5 points is a weak attempt to tarnish his season. But, hey, I think that the public has learned some valuable lessons this week courtesy of Coach K and his masterful ability to put a spin on a story. I think that I am going to take from all of this "analysis" that Carolina dominated Duke both times we played since neither game was "close" by Jacobs' definition. Thanks, Coach K. You just made my day!

FishStick
03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I've heard a rumor that a new banner is in the works (from an inside source). An artist's rendition is shown here:
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/1710/av141copymn0.jpg

tarboroheel1
03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Back before all you young bucks were even born, the NIT was a major tournament. The banner you reference is no different than a Final 4 banner. Only conference tournament champs were invited to the NCAA tourney, so many strong teams went to the NIT. It was not like today when Duke will get to go to the NCAA tourney even though they compiled just an 8-8 regular season ACC record. The '73 Heels were 25-8.

lmb
03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Back before all you young bucks were even born, the NIT was a major tournament. The banner you reference is no different than a Final 4 banner. Only conference tournament champs were invited to the NCAA tourney, so many strong teams went to the NIT. It was not like today when Duke will get to go to the NCAA tourney even though they compiled just an 8-8 regular season ACC record. The '73 Heels were 25-8.
Maybe so, but 3rd place?!? Come on, now that's just silly.

WiJoe
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
tarboro:

You must be kidding. I don't care how good the nit was in 1973, putting up a banner for that is ri-dam-diculous. You nc fans are unbelievable.

Duvall
03-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe so, but 3rd place?!? Come on, now that's just silly.

UNC wasn't even in the Final Four of the ACC Tournament in 1973.

The NIT was firmly established as the second-class tournament by the '70's.

VAGentleman05
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
tarboro:

You must be kidding. I don't care how good the nit was in 1973, putting up a banner for that is ri-dam-diculous. You hole fans are unbelievable.

More ridiculous than hanging banners for being ranked number one in the final AP poll?

ojaidave
03-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Fairly true. '73 heels (#11 Final AP) were 8-4 in league (roughly equating to 11-5 in a 16 game league), bowing out in OT to Wake Forest (NR) in the first round of the ACC tourney. They lost to Notre Dame(NR) in the 3rd round of the NIT and beat Alabama(NR) soundly in the consolation game.

I'm not sure you can really claim the equivalence of a Final Four here though. The '73 heels were 3rd place in the tournament that, at best, got the second best teams in the nation. Also, in '73, clearly the best team in the ACC was NC State who ran the conference table, won the ACC tourney but didn't get to play in the post season. For a team with the storied history of the heels, that 3rd place NIT banner is a bit questionable.

Dave

rsvman
03-06-2007, 04:44 PM
They would hang a banner if Lawson got a full house in a game of poker at the dorm.

unwrinkled ear
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
They would hang a banner if Lawson got a full house in a game of poker at the dorm.

That's the cherry on top of this thread - thank you!

77devil
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
tarboro:

You must be kidding. I don't care how good the nit was in 1973, putting up a banner for that is ri-dam-diculous. You nc fans are unbelievable.

Even more ridiculous than the 1924 faux "championship" banner.