PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find the shirt peddlers outside Cameron appalling last night?

wgl1228
01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
As I was leaving Cameron several men were yelling out trying to sell shirts that said "I Bleed Blue" on the front and on the back it said something like "If you don't then take your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home". Not only that but they were yelling the quote at the top of their lungs. I know some don't care but if I had a child I would have been greatly upset for them to have to hear that. Heck, I don't want to have to hear that as I'm walking through campus. Why does Duke allow these people to stand on campus anyway selling their homemade stuff anyway?

dukeimac
01-10-2011, 07:10 AM
As for someone who has not been to Cameron, yet, I would think that the Duke students who attended this game would have stormed these idiots and taken their sales pitch out of the picture. Not advocating violence but surround them and force them, with intimidation, to take there sales off campus.

It is not the picture I have of Duke and it is one that can mare a campus real quick and easy. Duke is much much better than that. Your reputation is on line here boys, do something about it.

Dunkin
01-10-2011, 08:27 AM
I am lucky enough to attend home games and I had never seen these guys outside before last night. They were there before and after the game.

-jk
01-10-2011, 08:39 AM
As for someone who has not been to Cameron, yet, I would think that the Duke students who attended this game would have stormed these idiots and taken their sales pitch out of the picture. Not advocating violence but surround them and force them, with intimidation, to take there sales off campus.

It is not the picture I have of Duke and it is one that can mare a campus real quick and easy. Duke is much much better than that. Your reputation is on line here boys, do something about it.

I don't think that would be terribly helpful, both because it would escalate a situation, and because the guys I saw were not near the students.

I think most people just ignored them. Leave them with a bunch of unsold shirts.

-jk

Gugafan2005
01-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, this was the first time I've seen these guys outside Cameron as well. Pretty loud and obnoxious, but I agree that ignoring them and leaving them with a bunch of unsold t-shirts is the way to go.

Indoor66
01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Yeah, this was the first time I've seen these guys outside Cameron as well. Pretty loud and obnoxious, but I agree that ignoring them and leaving them with a bunch of unsold t-shirts is the way to go.

I fully expect that the Administration will put the kibosh on this activity - quickly.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
As I was leaving Cameron several men were yelling out trying to sell shirts that said "I Bleed Blue" on the front and on the back it said something like "If you don't then take your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. home". Not only that but they were yelling the quote at the top of their lungs. I know some don't care but if I had a child I would have been greatly upset for them to have to hear that. Heck, I don't want to have to hear that as I'm walking through campus. Why does Duke allow these people to stand on campus anyway selling their homemade stuff anyway?
Was it licensed merchandise? Must have been or the University would have shooed them away in short order. I'm surprised they didn't.

jimsumner
01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I believe Duke has lawyers for this sort of thing.

Indoor66
01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I believe Duke has lawyers for this sort of thing.

They sure do and they are conveniently located just off Ninth & Main.

devil84
01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Was it licensed merchandise? Must have been or the University would have shooed them away in short order. I'm surprised they didn't.

I don't think those particular shirts need to be licensed. They said nothing about Duke, Blue Devils, or use any of Duke's graphics. Simply "I bleed blue" on the front (in an ugly font) and "If you don't then take your b**** a** home" (another ugly font) on a royal blue shirt. Nothing to license. But, the University must not have been aware of their presence. It's private property, so Duke can get rid of them for soliciting. If anyone complained to Duke, it must not have trickled its way to the right people to remove the guys.

My kids that postponed going back to their respective campuses until after this game, my mom, and I found the shirts very offensive. Worse, the dudes selling them were very aggressive, yelling the phrase repeatedly as they approached people walking into the game. Still worse, one of the dudes singled out my mom, called to her saying, "Hey cutie, you'd look really great in one of these," and smiled and winked at her. REALLY? A woman in her 70's would wear THAT?!

T-shirt peddlers seem to come out only for the Duke and Carolina games. The shirts are usually cheesy and cheap, but not offensive like these. I hope they went home with every shirt they came with.

Richard Berg
01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't even "get" the phrase. It sounds utterly lame and pointless. Am I that old already? (get off my quad! /shakes cane)

This comes from someone who actually likes the notorious football chant -- you know, the one that might be generously paraphrased as "D-U-K-E, who did you come to see?".

Profanity is not always appropriate, of course. But lameness is utterly unforgivable. If they get harassed off campus, good riddance.

HateCarolina
01-10-2011, 11:51 AM
The shirt seems to be completly ridiculous with a stupid sounding slogan on it....maybe they should head down to Myrtle Beach and sell them off to Wings. etc. Reminds me of some of the offensive t-shirts they sold down there when I was growing up and went there for vacation.

Lennies
01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
They should take 'em to Kentucky where they'd sell.

superdave
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a Grateful Dead show. Was anyone selling veggie burritos out of the back of the VW? I've occasionally seen cool shirts in parking lots. Actually the Jackie Manuel/Andre the Giant (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2200154279&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=2226694173)one from Unc fans is a good one. But most are junk.

CLT Devil
01-10-2011, 01:03 PM
First time I have ever seen something like that outside of Cameron...it was pretty odd in fact. Yeah, with the slogan they went with I don't think they were going to get too many Duke fans to buy the shirt, and being loud and aggressive in their tactics makes just about anyone other than a teenager on spring break at Myrtle Beach want to run in the other direction.

I looked closely and I don't think there was anything 'Duke' or 'Devils' on the shirt so nothing to liscense, but obviously the Admin would not want them there. FWIW I didn't see a single person buy one...they were sophomoric and pretty ugly (whoever said Wings/Waves quality was right on) and I just don't see how somebody could have come up with that sloan and said to themself "we should print shirts with that, they will sell like hotcakes."

I doubt we will see them again.

SupaDave
01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
"Hey cutie, you'd look really great in one of these," and smiled and winked at her. REALLY? A woman in her 70's would wear THAT?!

This imagery is unbelievable funny and all I could think was "Where's the Beef?"

"we should print shirts with that, they will sell like hotcakes."

Seriously funny thread here....

Kewlswim
01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I was not at the game, but have seen a lot of unlicensed shirts for sale around San Francisco when the Giants were in the playoffs and won the World Series.

I don't think what is written on the shirts in question particularly appealing. If it isn't to others either then the peddlers will find something else to write on the shirts. If it is appealing, then they will sell. Without getting into trademark issues, I tend to give these guys and gals the benefit of the doubt particularly with the economy the way it is right now.

I rather see someone trying to make a buck this way than selling illicit drugs in a back alley somewhere (on the quad?). Though legally it probably isn't kosher I can at least understand someone trying to find revenue and then asking for forgiveness if it wasn't entirely legal.

GO DUKE!

allenmurray
01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Did you read the other posts?

I'm not sure I think a bad economy gives someone license to yell profanity on private property. There is a big difference between trying to sell merchandise and aggressively yelling profanities at bypassers.

A week ago I had the chance to take my 11 year old to his first game at CIS. I'm glad no one was yelling take your b***h**s home as we walked by. I don't think a bad economy gives someone the right to impinge on my enjoyable evening outwith my children.

Hi,

I tend to give these guys and gals the benefit of the doubt particularly with the economy the way it is right now.

I rather see someone trying to make a buck this way than selling illicit drugs in a back alley somewhere (on the quad?). Though legally it probably isn't kosher I can at least understand someone trying to find revenue and then asking for forgiveness if it wasn't entirely legal.

GO DUKE!

SupaDave
01-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Did you read the other posts?

I'm not sure I think a bad economy gives someone license to yell profanity on private property. There is a big difference between trying to sell merchandise and aggressively yelling profanities at bypassers.

A week ago I had the chance to take my 11 year old to his first game at CIS. I'm glad no one was yelling take your b***h**s home as we walked by. I don't think a bad economy gives someone the right to impinge on my enjoyable evening outwith my children.

Totally random but this reminds me of my undergrad days at Virginia Beach and in the Hampton Roads area. There was this one t-shirt in particular that had "F the world" on the front and "Don't ask me for ####" on the back that was literally getting people LOCKED UP!!!

So hey guys - just tell campus police if something is offensive. Let them take care of it...

coldriver10
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Totally random but this reminds me of my undergrad days at Virginia Beach and in the Hampton Roads area. There was this one t-shirt in particular that had "F the world" on the front and "Don't ask me for ####" on the back that was literally getting people LOCKED UP!!!

So hey guys - just tell campus police if something is offensive. Let them take care of it...
I have a Springternational shirt from when I was at Duke for undergrad, and the shirt says "Bite me" on the front and "...for a taste of the world!" on the back. Even though it's innocent, I don't wear it very much because it seems so brash to the uninformed.

jdj4duke
01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
I tend give these guys and gals the benefit of the doubt particularly with the economy the way it is right now.

I rather see someone trying to make a buck this way than selling illicit drugs in a back alley somewhere

GO DUKE!

I was at the game and the shirts and sellers were appalling. As for "the guys and gals"selling them, one of line monitors chased one down right in front of me and had him open his duffle wherein was the monitor's coat which had been picked up from where the monitor had left it. So maybe not selling dope but not pillars of integrity either.

anon
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
These people were at the Carolina game (at which, presumably, everyone "bled blue", right?) last year too. So don't expect them to go away on their own.

Kewlswim
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I don't know I wasn't there. I'll take everyone's word for how they acted and what they sold. All I am trying to say is that the world is not so great right now for a lot of people. There is a lot of desperation. Locking some guy up for selling offensive (to some) t-shirts seems, for example, a bit heavy-handed. Stealing is another thing all together, I'm sorry someone's coat was taken. I'll stop trying to speak up for the guy who is trying to make a buck, there are a lot of other ways to do so than to make a number of people angry. Did it look like anyone was actually buying the shirt?

GO DUKE!

SupaDave
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I don't know I wasn't there. I'll take everyone's word for how they acted and what they sold. All I am trying to say is that the world is not so great right now for a lot of people. There is a lot of desperation. Locking some guy up for selling offensive (to some) t-shirts seems, for example, a bit heavy-handed. Stealing is another thing all together, I'm sorry someone's coat was taken. I'll stop trying to speak up for the guy who is trying to make a buck, there are a lot of other ways to do so than to make a number of people angry. Did it look like anyone was actually buying the shirt?

GO DUKE!

Well these guys did nothing for their integrity. Just imagine if that shirt said something like, ohhh I don't know - "Order is restored", hmmmm, I wonder if that would sell...?

Desperate and stupid very seldomly go well together.

allenmurray
01-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I think we can agree: selling shirts, fine. Screaming profanity, maybe not so good.

Hi,

GO DUKE!

DU82
01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
The only acceptable "I Bleed Blue" shirt comes from the American Red Cross, and is available for the low price of one pint.

wgl1228
01-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I did not see a soul buy the shirt. I can handle a peddler but the vulgar statement on the shirt loudly being repeated by the four to five people circling the stadium was too much.

Devilsfan
01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
They're not any slimier than the hords of scalpers roaming around CIS.

darthur
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM

I think the real question here is why a** is censored by DBR, but b**** is not :)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
The only acceptable "I Bleed Blue" is ... one pint.
from Wojo!

elvis14
01-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Well these guys did nothing for their integrity. Just imagine if that shirt said something like, ohhh I don't know - "Order is restored", hmmmm, I wonder if that would sell...?

Thanks to a friend, I was able to attend last night's game. I wore my "Order has been restored" shirt. Got a few nice comments from folks. I didn't see the solicitors in question last night but if anyone wants to sell me a ticket for the next game I'm willing to walk around after the game looking for them. I'll report back here with what I find :p

Newton_14
01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
The guys selling the shirts were loud and obnoxious. They approached me on my way in and out. I actually saw one person making a purchase on the way out. I agree with the others that the language was offensive, and they should not be allowed to open their own little T-Shirt Shop on Campus like that.

The guy was yelling out the slogan on the shirt with women and children 10 feet from him. I assume some good soul officially complained to the appropriate people at Duke that can put a stop to the peddlers.

I have attended almost all of the games this year including Mich St and this is the first time I have seen them out there. Maybe they go away and do not try to come back until the UNC game at which point they are asked to leave.

dukefan5656
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I actually bought that shirt last year at the Duke UNC game for my girlfriend. She happened to love it. The thing is, it isn't a "DUKE" shirt, it just happens to be dark blue. It doesnt say Duke anywhere on it. It was only 10 bucks

epoulsen
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
If there is one thing that being a Duke fan has taught me it's how to act with class. Whenever I take someone to a game at CIS, afterwards I will ask them to summarize the experience in one word. I cannot count how many times my companion has said "class". Even after taking my sister (a UNC grad) to the a Duke Carolina game she commented on how she wasn't heckled or made the subject of the Crazies cheers/jeers (I've noticed this only seems to happen when one acts with no class), needless to say I was not shown the same respect after she took me to the Dean Dome for the Duke UNC game, but I digress.

My point is that people like these vendors ruin the experience that is Duke University's Cameron Indoor Stadium. And whats more is that they set precedent for other trashy vendors to follow, ie this could be our first step to becoming the Comcast Center. The class and charm of Duke's campus and Cameron Indoor will be compromised by these people. They are selling out one of our most beloved and intangible qualities for a few dollars. Does anyone know who, or what department to talk about this? And it would seem that the more people who express their distaste for these vendors the more the University will do to try and stop it. I look forward to bringing my son to CIS for the first time when he is six years old. I do not intend to have anyone yelling vulgarities at him on that, or any other night. And if I'm lucky, maybe the Cameron Indoor experience will teach him a thing or two about class.

4decadedukie
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Loud and obnoxious vendors, selling likely unauthorized merchandise, that conveys a dreadful message, from which Duke receives no profit are ALL BAD. Just as appalling, however, is the FACT that the entire campus is PRIVATE PROPERTY and that the University has the absolute right to preclude sales of this sort (or any sort, for that matter), even if the salespersons were wonderful, the merchandise and its messages were superb, and the profits supported charity.

Although I was not at the game, I have already called Bob Shepard (VP, Development and Alumni Relations) and requested that he alert the Duke Police to this clear violation of University policy.

DU82
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Loud and obnoxious vendors, selling likely unauthorized merchandise, that conveys a dreadful message, from which Duke receives no profit is ALL BAD. Just as appalling, however, is the FACT that the entire campus is PRIVATE PROPERTY and that the University has the absolute right to preclude sales of this sort (or any sort, for that matter), even if the salespersons were wonderful, the merchandise and its messages were superb, and the profits supported charity.

Although I was not at the game, I will immediately call Bob Shepard (VP, Development and Alumni Relations) and ask that he alert the Duke Police to this clear violation of University policy.

Of course, while I thought this particular shirt was inappropriate, a similar "illegal" sale happened last year at the Carolina game. Students sold the "Zoub" shirt, with two printed hands in the "Z" formation. Everybody seemed to like that one (I possess one as well!) Then again, a student group doing it (even without official permission) is a lot different than a "foreign" vendor.

4decadedukie
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Of course, while I thought this particular shirt was inappropriate, a similar "illegal" sale happened last year at the Carolina game. Students sold the "Zoub" shirt, with two printed hands in the "Z" formation. Everybody seemed to like that one (I possess one as well!) Then again, a student group doing it (even without official permission) is a lot different than a "foreign" vendor.

The fact that Duke has the absolute right to preclude such unauthorized sales obviously does not mean that the University should do so under all circumstances, as you suggest above. I loved the "Z tee-shirt;" this, however, greatly differs. Recognizing that we exist in a "legalistic" society, I nevertheless believe it is perfectly appropriate for University officials to make "arbitrary" decisions -- based on their judgments -- without documented guidelines in such matters. After all, that is why the Trustees empower appointed officers, who in turn placed authority, responsibility and accountability in their subordinates.

DU82
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
The fact that Duke has the absolute right to preclude such unauthorized sales obviously does not mean that the University should do so under all circumstances, as you suggest above. I loved the "Z tee-shirt;" this, however, greatly differs. Recognizing that we exist in a "legalistic" society, I nevertheless believe it is perfectly appropriate for University officials to make "arbitrary" decisions -- based on their judgments -- without documented guidelines in such matters. After all, that is why the Trustees empower appointed officers, who in turn placed authority, responsibility and accountability in their subordinates.

I should have been clear that I agree with what you said (much better than I would have) and feel a student organization is essentially an "official" Duke group for these purposes. I've come across many such sales on the Bryan Center bridge and other places (especially since all but a month of my undergraduate career occurred before that walkway opened.)

allenmurray
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM

I agree. And the fact the the folks selling the Z-shirt were not yelling profanities in the presence of young kids probably made it a lot easier for univeristy officals to "look the other way".