PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 1/10/11-1/16/11

Bob Green
01-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Ten ACC games and a Big East-ACC match-up are on tap this week. I’d love to see Maryland defeat Villanova so hopefully tonight’s defeat at CIS doesn’t destroy the Terps confidence.

Tuesday:

Georgia Tech @ Clemson
NC State @ Boston College

Wednesday:

Duke @ Florida State
Maryland @ Wake Forest

Thursday:

Virginia Tech @ North Carolina

Saturday:

Virginia @ Duke
Maryland @ Villanova
NC State @ Florida State
Boston College @ Miami
Wake Forest @ Virginia Tech

Sunday:

North Carolina @ Georgia Tech

Several big match-ups this week with the key games from my perspective being Virginia Tech visiting North Carolina and NC State visiting Boston College in midweek games, while the weekend sees NC State visiting Florida State and Boston College visiting Miami on Saturday.

Of course, the most important games are Duke at Florida State and Virginia at Duke. As long as we win our games, the other teams will all be playing for second place. I really desire to see NC State beat Boston College.

We struggled on offense tonight but I cannot fathom Florida State scoring enough points to defeat Duke. The Seminoles are incompetent on offense. I wonder if Coach Krzyzewski will consider playing some zone? VT shutdown FSU with a 2-3 zone.

loran16
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
So John Gasaway over at basketball prospectus used to run a weekly column (Tuesday Truths) showcasing the offensive and defensive efficiencies of each team during conference play. This identified Duke and MD as the runaway favorites in the ACC last year pretty early.

Unfortunately, BBall Prospectus has gone premium, and I at the very least don't have the spare change to pay up. SO I decided I'd calculate the same #s myself.

So, after 1-2 ACC Games, here's how the ACC stacks up:
(Click to read a better sized image....I apologize, but I can't find a way to make it a chart so I saved it as an image).

The #s are points per possession. A Higher Efficiency Margin means a team is better than a team with a lower efficiency margin.

Obviously the #s don't mean much at this point....4 teams have only played 1 game, leading to NC State being the most efficient team because their one game was against Wake. But I'll be keeping track all season and by 4 games in, it should be very relevant.

Note that Duke's D has been the key in its first two games, especially because of the Miami game, with no other 2-game team having a good D performance. Also BC's offensive performance has been pretty damn good to date, though their Defense isn't particularly good. And that's with BC playing MD ON THE ROAD, a team that Duke couldn't score a point per possession against.

DukieTiger
01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
So John Gasaway over at basketball prospectus used to run a weekly column (Tuesday Truths) showcasing the offensive and defensive efficiencies of each team during conference play. This identified Duke and MD as the runaway favorites in the ACC last year pretty early.

Unfortunately, BBall Prospectus has gone premium, and I at the very least don't have the spare change to pay up. SO I decided I'd calculate the same #s myself.

(Click to read a better sized image....I apologize, but I can't find a way to make it a chart so I saved it as an image).

The #s are points per possession. A Higher Efficiency Margin means a team is better than a team with a lower efficiency margin.

Obviously the #s don't mean much at this point....4 teams have only played 1 game, leading to NC State being the most efficient team because their one game was against Wake. But I'll be keeping track all season and by 4 games in, it should be very relevant.

Note that Duke's D has been the key in its first two games, especially because of the Miami game, with no other 2-game team having a good D performance. Also BC's offensive performance has been pretty damn good to date, though their Defense isn't particularly good. And that's with BC playing MD ON THE ROAD, a team that Duke couldn't score a point per possession against.

Thanks for doing this. We won't know til tomorrow, but Gasaway's first edition of the Tuesday Truths this year was a free article on BP.com- it only covered one conference, but I was hoping that once he opens it up to more conferences (likely tomorrow) it would continue to be a free article.

loran16
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for doing this. We won't know til tomorrow, but Gasaway's first edition of the Tuesday Truths this year was a free article on BP.com- it only covered one conference, but I was hoping that once he opens it up to more conferences (likely tomorrow) it would continue to be a free article.

If it's free, I'll stop doing it. But I remember when they went premium, Tuesday Truths was listed as one example of a column that would be accessible only if you bought the subscription.

That said, it might be free tomorrow just to entice people to buy in in future weeks, as one conference isn't much of a taste.

Bob Green
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Boston College 28, NC State 26 at the half. BC started strong and was up 24-13 before State finished the half on a 13-4 run with Tracy Smith scoring eight of State's 13 points.
The 2nd half should be interesting. Reggie Jackson has 12 points for BC and neither team has a player with foul trouble.

-jk
01-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Are they having weather in Boston? Or just fan apathy? Lots of fans dressed as empty seats...

-jk

loran16
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Are they having weather in Boston? Or just fan apathy? Lots of fans dressed as empty seats...

-jk

Reportedly, students aren't back yet.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Reportedly, students aren't back yet.

Plus, weather and fan apathy.

loran16
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Snow hasn't even hit Boston yet i'm pretty sure.

JasonEvans
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Boston is not a college sports town, never has been and never will be. Aside from high profile matches, like Duke and UNC, they just don't fill their gym very often.

Here are the home game attendance reports thus far this season--

vs. St. Francis - 3740
vs. Yale - 3813
vs. Holy Cross - 3672
vs. Indiana - 5329
vs. Providence - 5462
vs. Bryant - 5126
vs. Bucknell - 4116
vs. Harvard - 4129
vs. Ga Tech - 6516

For the record, the Silvio O. Conte Forum (BC's home court) seats 8606, so they have had only 4 out of 9 home games where they sold more than half the tickets to that place.

--Jason "dunno why I spent the time researching this... ahh well" Evans

JasonEvans
01-11-2011, 11:15 PM
By the way, BC won by 9 to go to 3-0 in the conference; making my statement earlier in the week that I like 0-2 Maryland more than (then) 2-0 BC look a tiny bit more foolish ;)

Oh, and the notion that NC State with Tracy Smith is a far better team just took a bit of a hit.

-Jason "in fairness, Pom had predicted a 79-71 win, so this was not exactly a shocker" Evans

Olympic Fan
01-11-2011, 11:19 PM
State took a small lead with about five minutes left, but with the score tied 60-all, BC got back-to-back 3s from Raji and Paris and coasted to a 75-66 win.

The Eagles showed a lot of poise and go contributions from a lot of people. But Reggie Jackson is the guy who made them go - 29 points.

BC now 3-0 in the ACC; N.C. State 1-1

Georgia Tech-Clemson game postponed until Wednesday night because of the weather.

Duvall
01-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Isn't it supposed to hit tonight, though?

Fan apathy is a constant regardless.

SuperTurkey
01-11-2011, 11:20 PM

Snow hits in 2 hours.

Boston is not a college sports town, never has been and never will be.

Amen. Moving to Boston from Durham was pretty jarring re: sports culture. When I talk about college ball, most people look at me like I have 2 heads. Oh, but they all hate Duke.

loran16
01-11-2011, 11:21 PM
By the way, BC won by 9 to go to 3-0 in the conference; making my statement earlier in the week that I like 0-2 Maryland more than (then) 2-0 BC look a tiny bit more foolish ;)

Oh, and the notion that NC State with Tracy Smith is a far better team just took a bit of a hit.

-Jason "in fairness, Pom had predicted a 79-71 win, so this was not exactly a shocker" Evans

In all fairness, BC is an extreme team. I'm not sure games against them tell us anything. They're all offense, no defense. And they rely so heavily on 3s....

A win by NC State may have shown them to be a bigger force....or it might have just shown that BC was missing 3s during one game.

I'd like to see how State does against a more balanced ACC team (BC's D is not only below average, but it's below the 200th best team in the league). FSU doesn't count much either (Their O is below league average), Duke, Miami, and Clemson will fit that bill. How they do vs those 3 teams will show how fit they are to handle the ACC.

gofurman
01-11-2011, 11:53 PM

great stuff - please keep this going or let me know where to find it if free

loran16
01-11-2011, 11:57 PM
great stuff - please keep this going or let me know where to find it if free

Planning on doing so. Gasaway confirmed today that his version of this will be premium access only, so I'll be keeping track.

Figure I'll put up a new post every Monday at the least, and I'll probably update Thursday Night, as that's when every ACC Team will have played at least 2 games.

After tonight's game, NC State falls to #4 in conference, while BC rises to #2 behind Duke.

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2011, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure that's true, just imagine how badly they would have lost without him, maybe not quite like Wisconsin...
He has played quite well since coming back and Leslie's play is up too. Their guard play is where it's weak: Gonzalez stunk it up and Harrow will be excellent some day but is too unsteady to really hold NCSU together, not now, but maybe later in the year.
BC being 3-0 in the ACC really makes it hard for Md. to be able to catch up. MD might get back to 1-2 after their mid-week game, still 2 games back in the race for 2nd place. Heck, even Duke is a 1/2 game behind BC right now.

Bob Green
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
There are three ACC games tonight:

Georgia Tech @ Clemson
Duke @ Florida State
Maryland @ Wake Forest

with the visitors being favored in two of the games. Clemson is an eight point favorite at home, while Duke is a 7.5 point favorite and Maryland an 11 point favorite on the road. As today's Al Featherston article points out, the home team won 68.8 percent of the time in ACC games last year with the figure being more than 63 percent over the 57 year history of the league. So, will we see an upset tonight? Personally, I'd love to see Wake Forest take out Maryland! :cool:

diveonthefloor
01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Holy cow! I just turned on the Clemson Ga Tech game. There must be a zillion empty seats in Littlejohn. I hope school is still on break for them, that is absolutely pathetic.

DukieTiger
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Holy cow! I just turned on the Clemson Ga Tech game. There must be a zillion empty seats in Littlejohn. I hope school is still on break for them, that is absolutely pathetic.

Student sections are full, if you look at the stands on either baseline. Clemson's season ticket holders tend to give some pathetic showings at non Duke/UNC weeknight games. Also, roads are still pretty icy in Greenville, SC which is the biggest nearby alumni base- better known as the only city within 2 hours of Clemson, SC.

loran16
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I swear, Wake and GT are SOOO Bad, that they're skewing any efficiency analysis. The latest numbers have CLEMSON as the best team so far....due to their 25 point stomping of Georgia Tech.

(I'll post the numbers tomorrow, I'm waiting for UNC to play again first)

DukieInBrasil
01-13-2011, 09:15 PM
UNC looks sooooooooo bad vs VT. It's early, but they're down 10 and have scored 2 points in 5 minutes. HB thru up a beautiful airball on a hardly at all contested shot and he also had it totally stolen from him. All-America? Not really...

arydolphin
01-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Watching North Carolina play like garbage right now is almost making me feel better about last night. No matter what, this would be a nice win on the road for VTech, but it's still early.

loran16
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Here are the latest conference efficiency numbers, now that each team has played at least 2 games:
(Once again, click to enlarge, I'm sorry about the small size.)

I've added an extra column this time on the far right, which shows how a team's efficiency margin would translate into a margin of victory in an average-paced ACC Game. So in an average paced ACC game, Wake's margin shows that it would lose by 19.4, while Clemson would win by 8.9 points.

Clemson is at the top. Why? Because they shot their heads off at Georgia Tech and had the best shooting night against a major conference team in the last 6 years. (See the bottom of HERE (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=618)for more)

BC is #2 still, thanks to also shooting the lights out, but in their case it was in 3 different games, 2 of which against decent opponents, including an MD team we couldn't score on.

UNC's barely above us right now, but both UNC and Duke have had massive issues scoring in ACC play. Duke's faced much tougher Ds (Maryland and FSU compared to Miami and UVA), but it's still worrisome.

GT's #s aren't going to be this bad for long, as they're dragged down by Clemson's historic shooting. They're a bad team. They're not THIS bad. And GT's offense at least is in positive numbers.

Wake on the other hand is BEYOND Bad. They're the sole reason why NC State and Maryland aren't further down on the chart, and are historically bad. Put it this way, the lowest efficiency margin of ANY conference team last year was -0.20. Wake's far worse, and I don't think this is an outlier.

As the season goes on, I think i'll be computing the numbers twice: Once as i've been doing, and once as if Wake was not in the conference, as Wake is SOOOO BAD that they skew the numbers.

EDIT: I apologize for the size of the table, I can't seem to get it any larger and it's driving me crazy.

gw67
01-14-2011, 08:22 AM
I see BC losing to Miami and UNC beating GT this weekend. I also see Duke crunching Virginia, Florida State defeating NC State, and Virginia Tech beating Wake. This scenario would elevate the Heels to first place in the ACC Sunday night with Duke, BC and Florida State tied for 2nd at 3-1, followed by Clemson at 2-1, Virginia Tech at 2-2, four teams at 1-2 and GT and Wake both falling fast in last at 0-3.

Next week should be interesting. Clemson is at UNC (Klemnop alert), Wake is at GT (somebody has to win), and the Devils beat up on other members of the Big Four (NC State and Wake). But the real interest for ACC fans will be games between BC and FS, Maryland at home against VT and Clemson, and Florida State at Miami. These and other games should be an indication of the teams able to keep step with the Devils and Heels (i.e. BC, Florida State, Md, VT, Miami), and those who will fall back.

gw67

loran16
01-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Here are the latest conference efficiency numbers, now that each team has played at least 2 games:
(Once again, click to enlarge, I'm sorry about the small size.)

I've added an extra column this time on the far right, which shows how a team's efficiency margin would translate into a margin of victory in an average-paced ACC Game. So in an average paced ACC game, Wake's margin shows that it would lose by 19.4, while Clemson would win by 8.9 points.

Clemson is at the top. Why? Because they shot their heads off at Georgia Tech and had the best shooting night against a major conference team in the last 6 years. (See the bottom of HERE (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=618)for more)

BC is #2 still, thanks to also shooting the lights out, but in their case it was in 3 different games, 2 of which against decent opponents, including an MD team we couldn't score on.

UNC's barely above us right now, but both UNC and Duke have had massive issues scoring in ACC play. Duke's faced much tougher Ds (Maryland and FSU compared to Miami and UVA), but it's still worrisome.

GT's #s aren't going to be this bad for long, as they're dragged down by Clemson's historic shooting. They're a bad team. They're not THIS bad. And GT's offense at least is in positive numbers.

Wake on the other hand is BEYOND Bad. They're the sole reason why NC State and Maryland aren't further down on the chart, and are historically bad. Put it this way, the lowest efficiency margin of ANY conference team last year was -0.20. Wake's far worse, and I don't think this is an outlier.

As the season goes on, I think i'll be computing the numbers twice: Once as i've been doing, and once as if Wake was not in the conference, as Wake is SOOOO BAD that they skew the numbers.

EDIT: I apologize for the size of the table, I can't seem to get it any larger and it's driving me crazy.

Sorry, Bigger version of the table (it's uploaded to a site of my own):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jpHBaQhAbHI/TTBPcjBE6cI/AAAAAAAAALA/zVN6ia3vZm8/s1600/ACC%2BStats%2BWeek%2B1-b.png

nocilla
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I see BC losing to Miami and UNC beating GT this weekend. I also see Duke crunching Virginia, Florida State defeating NC State, and Virginia Tech beating Wake. This scenario would elevate the Heels to first place in the ACC Sunday night with Duke, BC and Florida State tied for 2nd at 3-1, followed by Clemson at 2-1, Virginia Tech at 2-2, four teams at 1-2 and GT and Wake both falling fast in last at 0-3.

Next week should be interesting. Clemson is at UNC (Klemnop alert), Wake is at GT (somebody has to win), and the Devils beat up on other members of the Big Four (NC State and Wake). But the real interest for ACC fans will be games between BC and FS, Maryland at home against VT and Clemson, and Florida State at Miami. These and other games should be an indication of the teams able to keep step with the Devils and Heels (i.e. BC, Florida State, Md, VT, Miami), and those who will fall back.

gw67

Don't forget the post-Duke letdown. IIRC, every team that beat Duke last year put up a stinker in their next game. If this holds true NCSU is to benefit.

NSDukeFan
01-14-2011, 09:39 AM

gw67

I agree that there are some very interesting games coming up, but after NC State last year, and FSU the other night and Tracy Smith back, I am not nearly as confident as you that it is a given that Duke will beat up State at State. I certainly hope so, but I will be very interested in that game.

nocilla
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Don't forget the post-Duke letdown. IIRC, every team that beat Duke last year put up a stinker in their next game. If this holds true NCSU is to benefit.

Well maybe it wasn't as dramatic as I remembered. Here are the games teams played after beating Duke last year;

- Wisc won although it was only Gramblin St, but lost their next game to Green Bay.
- GT lost @ UVA
- NCSU lost @ Maryland
- Georgetown lost @ South Florida
- Maryland won @ UVA (this was UVA's first game w/o Landesberg I think)

FSU does have the benefit of playing at home whereas last year they all played road games aside from Wisc.

gw67
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Interesting observation. I still go with the Noles because they are playing at home and State is a very young team who has not won on the road this year.

gw67

Bob Green
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Maryland has a huge opportunity today with their game at #7 Villanova. If the Terps could pull off a victory on the road in Philadelphia, it would do wonders for their NCAAT resume. Maryland's perimeter players are going to have to step up and slow down the two Corey's, Stokes and Fisher, who are Villanova's leading scorers. On offense, feed the beast inside and hope Jordan Williams can stay out of foul trouble.

This would be a great win for the conference!

Bob Green
01-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Jordan Williams is one rebound from a double-double performance at halftime with the Terps up on Villanova 36-33. Maryland had some trouble with Villanova's dribble penetration but they went zone and Villanova isn't making their outside shots.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2011, 03:11 PM
again Md. fails to complete a win, they were up by 11 midway through the 2nd half and ended up losing by 8, to the #7 team in the country. So another "quality loss" for the Terps.

JasonEvans
01-15-2011, 04:28 PM
again Md. fails to complete a win, they were up by 11 midway through the 2nd half and ended up losing by 8, to the #7 team in the country. So another "quality loss" for the Terps.

It was an absurd gaaak of a loss. They were actually up 12 with about 10 minutes left and then proceeded to not score for about 7 minutes. Villanova went on a 19-0 run, passing the Terps like they were not even there. It was sad.

Maryland totally forgot about Jordan Williams during the final 10 minutes of the game. They should have been pounding the ball inside again and again. Instead, their guards could barely hold onto the ball (I saw 3 straight unforced turnovers in one stretch) and they were jacking up bad perimeter shots.

Someone please remind me not to pick the Terps come March when I am filling out my brackets (yes, I think they will make the dance). They are just too inexperienced and jittery on the perimeter to win games when it counts.

-Jason "Gary's hair turned even more gray during this game... if that is possible" Evans

Bob Green
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Miami 36, Boston College 35 at the half. I wish I could watch this one as it should be an exciting 2nd half of basketball. Looking at the box score, Boston College needs to knockdown some 3-pointers over the second 20 minutes as they were 3-14 in the 1st half.

loran16
01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Miami 36, Boston College 35 at the half. I wish I could watch this one as it should be an exciting 2nd half of basketball. Looking at the box score, Boston College needs to knockdown some 3-pointers over the second 20 minutes as they were 3-14 in the 1st half.

It's on ESPN3, which you might have (also ESPNU)

loran16
01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
BC just got way jipped. Down 1, take 2 with 10 seconds left.....Miami defender hits the arm clearly, Refs call a clean block.

(Yes this is a Miami home game).

Awful reffing.

gw67
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM

gw67

Gee! So far 4-0 and UNC should beat GT to reach the records I predicted (guessed). Next week will be more difficult to pick.

For loran16 - welcome to playing on the road within conference, BC is not an agressive team on offense and is a poor rebounding team. They live and die on the 3-point shot and the play of Jackson. As the rest of the ACC becomes familiar with their style, I expect them to settle into the middle of the league standings.

gw67

loran16
01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Gee! So far 4-0 and UNC should beat GT to reach the records I predicted (guessed). Next week will be more difficult to pick.

For loran16 - welcome to playing on the road within conference, BC is not an agressive team on offense and is a poor rebounding team. They live and die on the 3-point shot and the play of Jackson. As the rest of the ACC becomes familiar with their style, I expect them to settle into the middle of the league standings.

gw67

Oh agreed on road games being tougher, but it was a terrible non-call. Anyhow, looking at the efficiency #s, It was a typical BC Game: Great Offense (even when the 3s weren't dropping, they were great on O), but terrible D. Shootouts every game, even if you don't notice as much since they don't play a fast tempo.

Oh and last night, Wake continued its quest to be historically bad. Last year the worst efficiency margin of any major conference team was Indiana at -0.20 (They got outscored by 20 points per 100 possessions). Wake's efficiency margin through 3 games is -0.335, and none of the teams they've played (VT, NC State, Maryland) are amazing.

Olympic Fan
01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Anybody see or hear anything about Reggie Jackson's injury?

If you were watching the ESPNU telecast, you saw that Jackson hit a meaningless 3-pointer at the buzzer (to cut a four-point lead to the final one-point margin).

Somehow he came down awkwardly (nobody was near him) and seemed to be in a lot of pain. He was helped off the court.

I found a BC website that suggested that he merely rolled his ankle and shouldn't miss a game ... but we'll see. The way things are going this year in the ACC (Kyrie, Mike Scott, Tracy Smith, etc.) who knows how bad it is. And he's a play that BC can't stand to lose or even stand to play at less than 100 percent.

loran16
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Anybody see or hear anything about Reggie Jackson's injury?

If you were watching the ESPNU telecast, you saw that Jackson hit a meaningless 3-pointer at the buzzer (to cut a four-point lead to the final one-point margin).

Somehow he came down awkwardly (nobody was near him) and seemed to be in a lot of pain. He was helped off the court.

I found a BC website that suggested that he merely rolled his ankle and shouldn't miss a game ... but we'll see. The way things are going this year in the ACC (Kyrie, Mike Scott, Tracy Smith, etc.) who knows how bad it is. And he's a play that BC can't stand to lose or even stand to play at less than 100 percent.

Not expected to miss a game. Minor rolling of the ankle reportedly.

Regardless, Very VERY crass of ESPNU to cut away so quickly, at least until the player was up.