PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Maryland (1/9/2011)

Bob Green
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match?

dukestheheat
01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Singler.

dth.

Bob Green
01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
My vote goes to Tyler Thornton. Duke was struggling on defense so Coach Krzyzewski inserted Thornton into the line-up and played him major minutes. Thornton changed the flow of the game in Duke's favor.

Verga3
01-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Kyle and Tyler....it's a tie.

Sgt. Dingleberry
Kyle, but I almost want to vote for Tyler because his contribution was sooooooo much more unexpected.

sleepybear
I know Kyle technically desrves the vote but I had to go with Tyler, he and Curry stepped up bigtime.

fisheyes
01-09-2011, 10:20 PM
While Singler provided the important points I think that Thornton totally changed the attitude of the team in the second half just when we needed it. Coach settled into a nice offense/defense rotation with Curry and Thornton at the end of the game. Great game for Tyler.

rotogod00
01-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Can a guy playing only 12 minutes with just one bucket win MOTM? Guess we're gonna find out

ncexnyc
01-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Kyle was steady from start to finish and Tyler played some excellent defense, but it was Seth with the much needed offensive spark that we've been waiting for who gets my vote.

wallyman
Kyle was the best player on the court, but you can't argue with anyone who named Tyler MOTM. Great to see him come up big.

DukeBlueHeart4
I realize that Kyle was the man when you look at the stats but I don't think he matched what Tyler did for us tonight as far as energizing the team. Tyler stepped in as a freshmen and made some pivotal plays. He looked poised and ready. I was very impressed with him.

CLW
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Had my vote for Thornton but 2 missed free throws in put the game away time caused me to change the vote for Kyle. Tyler provided great energy and was a real spark but Kyle made the clutch plays down the stretch.

BleedsP287
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
No way we win without Kyle tonight with Nolan a little off. But Tyler, he gets my honorable mention vote. He stepped up and played amazingly well. I feel much more confident in our team knowing we can get that from him.

DevilHorns
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Can a guy playing only 12 minutes with just one bucket win MOTM? Guess we're gonna find out

4 steals and 2 charges = 6 more possessions in crucial game time.

plus that sweet bucket in the lane!

Greg_Newton
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I know Kyle technically desrves the vote but I had to go with Tyler, he and Curry stepped up bigtime.

This is my thinking too. Kyle was our offense in the first half, but Seth and Tyler were huge in turning a 38-32 deficit into a 46-40 lead in the second half. Seth saved us offensively, and Tyler defensively - I went with Tyler because of the sheer number of plays he made, even outside of that stretch, but Seth scored a lot of points in a critical period. I thought those two guys were our only guards who didn't play scared of Maryland's toughness today.

The charge Tyler took off the pick and roll and the time he stripped Jordan Williams of an offensive rebound putback and came away with the ball were huge in the last few minutes.

cptnflash
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Kyle gets my vote, but man am I happy for Tyler. Way to go, kid!

jipops
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't think I have ever voted for a player just because he made some high energy plays. But in this type of game I feel like I've got to give it to Tyler. All of his plays were at major points in the game and were extremely pivotal. We don't win this game without Tyler's defensive stops, and Kyle would not have gotten his 25 without them either.

jipops
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Exactly why he got my vote. Having more possessions is so key in a game like this.

Bluedevil114
Tyler Thornton was the difference maker tonight. His defense was relentless and he plays within himself. Did not rush anything except his free throws but you can expect that from a freshman. That runner in the lane was incredible.

Nolan was forcing in the first half and Kyle was incredible!!

taiw93
Kyle was our best player tonight, but I've gotta give TT the MOTM nod. He entered the game in the second half after spending the entire first half on the bench and just made smart play after smart play. He was steady, under control, and always in the right place at the right time. The Plumlees could learn a thing or two from him.

DukieTiger
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I went with Seth for a couple reasons:

1) He was the one to break us out of the shooting slump in the 2nd half with a couple huge shots.

2) While TT's defense was more notable, Sdot had one HUGE steal at one point and also played solid D while in.

Lord Ash
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
While Tyler had a great game with some huge moments, I wouldn't say he was more valuable than Seth, whose scoring in the second was huge.

And Seth was not as valuable as Kyle, who scored some TOUGH tough buckets down low and hit some huge threes.

Therefore, Kyle.

jv001
01-09-2011, 10:34 PM
No brainer it was Kyle with a double/double and he played good defense on a night that Nolan was a little off(still played very good). But Tyler and Seth were difference makers tonight. On a night where points were hard to come by Seth gave us 12 points that could were the difference. Then Tyler comes in and gives us some needed energy and defense on a night that Andre struggled on defense. Without those two coming through for us, we probably lose this game. Go Duke!

CameronCrazy'11
01-09-2011, 10:42 PM
An incredible 4 steals by Tyler Thornton! With his defense he completely changed the flow of the game and allowed Duke to build a lead.

DukeGirl4ever
01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I voted for Tyler (although Kyle's the man as always).

As stated by several, Tyler's energy completely changed the flow of the game. I still think that charge against Williams was one of the key plays, if not THE play, down the stretch to secure the W.

Great job, Tyler. I think he will get more minutes in ACC play; his on-ball defense was pretty impressive tonight!

Bluedog
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I voted for Tyler, with Curry being a close second, and Kyle being a close third. Tyler just made some great plays that really changed the trajectory of the game. When K inserted TT and Seth into the lineup, we went on a 11-0 run (I think) and there's a reason for that. TT came up with some huge defensive plays, including 4 steals, a great runner in the lane, steady dribbling, and hustle ball to get a jump ball. Seth also was huge with some flush shots. I mean, also I want to spread the love around a bit, and I think people are overlooking Tyler. I think he's going to be a great player for us and is a lot better than people think. He was named DC player of the year for a reason. TT is my MOTM!

camion
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Kyle was our best player overall tonight, but Tyler changed the game. We went from a team trying to catch Maryland to a team Maryland was trying to catch. I'm voting for the game changer.

Acymetric
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
4 steals in limited PT plus 2 charges drawn and multiple other plays where he really bothered some guys with his defense. He lit a fire when he came in in the 2nd half...I think the game was getting away from us and Tyler's energy brought us back. Gotta give it to him.

Newton_14
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Kyle was big and on most any other night I vote for him with a 25 and 10 night, but Tyler Thornton changed that game big time and he gets my vote tonight. I am not sure we win if K does not gamble and go with Tyler there. It took his play to get the others going. Seth came up big during that critical stretch as well.

This game will do wonders for Tyler's confidence and will earn him some more minutes as well. I am really happy for him. The crowd gave him a standing O several times. Well deserved.

P.S. Another horrible game by the zebra's. At one point in the 2nd Half Duke had 8 Fouls and Maryland only had 3. The walk called on Seth when he got knocked down in the trap, and the foul call on Andre a few seconds later when the Terp guard lost control of the ball and fell were just terrible calls.

striker219
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Vote for Kyler Thornler? Or Kyler Sington?

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Kyle. And for a while in the first I thought it would be nobody. Tyler was awesome though, congrats to him for once again making the most of his minutes. He's the type of player I'm going to have fun following for four years. He's the type of player that Duke needs to be champions.

GODUKEGO
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
My vote goes to Tyler Thornton. Duke was struggling on defense so Coach Krzyzewski inserted Thornton into the line-up and played him major minutes. Thornton changed the flow of the game in Duke's favor.

Agree! I had a perfect angle of Tyler Thornton's, IMO, play of the game. Terps were down by five. Williams got a rebound and was going up for a three foot put back when Tyler came in a took the ball right out of his hands. Maryland was on a roll at the time and it was beautiful. Have not seen the recorded game, so do not not how this play came across on TV. It was BIG!!!!

balkan boy
01-09-2011, 11:20 PM
38-32 when Ty (and Seth) came in and Duke had not scored in a while. I was sitting behind the scorer's table and Ty just brought energy to the team and to the crowd. I'm not sure we win the game without him.

Singler played great, but I went with Mr. Thornton.

Jfrosh
01-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Kyle's points and defense kept us in the game. He also broke out of his mini shooting "slump".
But Tyler's insertion into the game was the difference. Huge props to Coach K as well. Who
Else would have thought to put Tyler into the game at that point. A really good win when
things were going against them.

jv001
01-09-2011, 11:27 PM
While Tyler had a great game with some huge moments, I wouldn't say he was more valuable than Seth, whose scoring in the second was huge.

And Seth was not as valuable as Kyle, who scored some TOUGH tough buckets down low and hit some huge threes.

Therefore, Kyle.

in the first half, Kyle pretty much kept us in the game and the put back just before the half was big. I know Tyler played a very very good game, but so did Seth. We really needed those 12 points. Seth also played good defense. What's the outcome if Kyle does not have his huge game? Kyle is MOTM.

JasonEvans
01-09-2011, 11:38 PM
I voted for Seth, partly because I saw soooo many votes for Kyle and Tyler and felt Seth deserved some love.

For all the folks saying that Tyler changed the tone of the game when he came in early in the 2nd half, it is worth noting that Thornton came in along with Seth Curry. While Tyler was making it happen on the defensive end, Seth was doing the same for our lackluster offense. Seth scored 12 points, all in the second half. He was our leading scorer in the second half, which is a huuuge thing in a close game like this.

So, your MOTM vote may depend on whether you think Duke needed those 4 steals or those 12 points more tonight. Personally, in a game where we really struggled to score, I'll go with the points over the D (though Seth played some fine D too).

I do agree that Kyle had a very good game, but we expect him to put up upper-teens to low-20s in points and something around 7-10 rebounds. He hit the upper end of those expectations, but it was Tyler and Seth who vastly exceeded expectations on a day where Nolan, Ryan, Mason, and Andre were largely stinking up the joint.

-Jason "Nolan had 18, 7, and 8... and he stunk -- that's unreal!!" Evans

loran16
01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I voted for Seth, partly because I saw soooo many votes for Kyle and Tyler and felt Seth deserved some love.

For all the folks saying that Tyler changed the tone of the game when he came in early in the 2nd half, it is worth noting that Thornton came in along with Seth Curry. While Tyler was making it happen on the defensive end, Seth was doing the same for our lackluster offense. Seth scored 12 points, all in the second half. He was our leading scorer in the second half, which is a huuuge thing in a close game like this.

So, your MOTM vote may depend on whether you think Duke needed those 4 steals or those 12 points more tonight. Personally, in a game where we really struggled to score, I'll go with the points over the D (though Seth played some fine D too).

I do agree that Kyle had a very good game, but we expect him to put up upper-teens to low-20s in points and something around 7-10 rebounds. He hit the upper end of those expectations, but it was Tyler and Seth who vastly exceeded expectations on a day where Nolan, Ryan, Mason, and Andre were largely stinking up the joint.

-Jason "Nolan had 18, 7, and 8... and he stunk -- that's unreal!!" Evans

I'm doing the +/- right now and this is only partially correct. At first Thornton and Smith came in together. After that, K alternated the two of them....TT while on D, then putting Curry back in for O.

juise
01-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I went with Thornton as well. I almost changed my mind after the late game free throws, but his energy was huge and he made some impressive plays. What a nice surprise!

dukepsy1963
01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
love all of these guys. The bench is fantastic, the starters are awesome, and K...well, he can turn it on when necessary (and it was necessary). Thornton had his night in the sun and he deserved it. But Curry and Dre were super contributors too.
You got to love it!

P.S. Gary is a hell of a coach; Maryland will come on strong the rest of the season.

ricks68
01-10-2011, 02:28 AM
How could it be that Tyler Thornton is the man of the match when you look at the boxscore? When you see Kyle's stats you'd think it has to be him. While Tyler's 4 steals show up, nothing else does. But no. My vote has to go to Tyler because without his incredible defensive spark and all around energy that changed the entire flow of the game, we just plain lose.

ricks

Cameron
01-10-2011, 04:53 AM
It has to be Seth for me, who has really been striving to find his niche on this team. Much like Dre provided for us in the first half of the ACC championship game last March and again against Baylor in the South Regional final, Seth's instant offense off the bench last night infused a renewed energy in our team and curbed a furious Maryland push. Frankly, it stopped us from getting blown off our own floor.

With 19 minutes to play in the first half, we trailed 38 to 32 and couldn't have bargained for a shot if we were in front of the cask tending the bar. Seth then scores nine of our next 14 points, the last three resulting from a tough triple deep in the corner, and without warning Terrapin fans -- and I find this particular way of looking at things the most satisfying -- find themselves trailing 44 to 40. Their lead gone as quickly as a small Kansas town sucked up by a twister in the dead of night. I find that overly satisfying (not the small village of Kansans dying in a whirlwind).

If not for Seth's microwaveable points off the pew yesterday evening in the basketball cathedral that is Cameron Indoor, there's a reasonable chance we fall down double digits in the second half and find ourselves in a very hellish situation.

cakerace
01-10-2011, 05:34 AM
1st half: Kyle, for not letting it get out of hand. With 1/10 3P'ers, we otherwise could have been in a deep hole.

2nd half: Tyler for apparently being the only one paying attention to Coach K's locker room paint peeling demonstration.

Tiebreaker: FT %

tele
01-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Nolan had to contend with a defense focused on taking away what he has been doing in recent games while playing point. Kyle has been the focus of other teams defenses all season, and other players including Kyrie, Nolan, Andre and Mason have benefited. Against Maryland's defensive scheme, Coach K finally had to change what Duke had been doing with Nolan running the offense and bring in Tyler. Maryland's defense didn't have an answer and Tyler did a great job getting the ball to Curry who was being left open. And Curry made them pay. Great team effort for the win! Makes me appreciate how consistently great Singler plays even when opposing teams are focused on trying to stop him. 25 points and 10 rebounds is a great effort in any game, against this defense it was outstanding.

RelativeWays
01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
The team really clicked with TT on the floor. I hope we can find a way to implement him on a regular basis as he strikes me as a player that will become more effective with experience.

JasonEvans
01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
With 218 votes cast so far, it is 103 for Tyler and 102 for Kyle... amazingly close!

Seth has only 12 votes so far, which disgusts me considering he led us in scoring in the second half of the game and his offense sparked the 2nd half comeback that turned Mayland's 6 point lead into a Duke lead we never relinquished.

-Jason "one has to wonder how many chances Tyler will get to win this award this year-- so I am rooting for him" Evans

smcook313
01-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Its pretty hard to say that Kyle wasnt the man in this game. His 3 at the end of the game was the final nail, his tip in at half was momentum and that drive which was finished with a left handed layup at the 4 minute mark made me jump out of my seat in excitement!! He is sooo clutch. Noone can deny that...however, those stats that you mentioned above could NOT have come at more important times in this game. His steal that was jump balled and we got the posession, his charge he took from Williams, and the other steal at the 3pt line...These were such critical plays in this game. All were with Maryland really turning the tide. He brought our team energy up about 10 notches and got that place rockin! Anyone know how much we scored off of his forced turnovers?? Id be curious to know. Thats 6 posessions that he took from Maryland... He changed the dynamic of this game.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
"one has to wonder how many chances Tyler will get to win this award this year-- so I am rooting for him"

. . . this year. The flip side (for me, at least) -- Kyle, how many more times will I ever have the chance to vote for him?

I voted for Kyle, but can't quibble with Seth or Tyler as choices. I thought the way Kyle drove to the basket was great -- he operated more like a regular guard than many times I have seen him this year. And we would not have been in the game at all if it were not for his consistent play during the whole game.

Plus, that 23 footer was bold.

PADukeMom
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Tyler Thorton

Indoor66
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
I voted for Kyrie's roommate. He did all he was asked to do and did it well. What more can you ask?

Dev11
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I voted for Tyler as well, because he did way more than what was expected of him in any ACC game this year. Granted, if Kyrie was playing, Tyler likely would not be getting any minutes, but his focus and intensity when he was sent into a close second half was outstanding, and hopefully earned him more minutes in games to come.

It's also fun to note that Tyler, at least according to his scout.com recruiting page, was not offered by Gary, despite Gonzaga College High School being a little 25 minute drive downtown from the Comcast Center. The knock on Gary's local recruiting gets louder every year. Take that, Sweaty.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705

Devilsfan
01-10-2011, 11:58 AM
We were so impressed with Tyler last night. We knew what Kyle, Nolan and Seth were capable of doing but it was so nice to see our young freshman that was given only token minutes perform in crunch time. Go Devils! Go Tyler!

JasonEvans
01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
It's also fun to note that Tyler, at least according to his scout.com recruiting page, was not offered by Gary, despite Gonzaga College High School being a little 25 minute drive downtown from the Comcast Center. The knock on Gary's local recruiting gets louder every year. Take that, Sweaty.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=2905705

This is likely because Gary never felt he was close enough to landing Tyler to offer him a scholarship. I strongly doubt it is because Gary felt Tyler could not help his program. Tyler may not have been a Mickie Dee, but he was regarded highly enough so that a program like Maryland would have been happy to have him if he was interested in going there.

--Jason "Tyler currently leads Kyle 118-108 in the voting" Evans

Sandman
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Nolan was struggling, trying to force his drives through the intense MD defense - and they were stopping him. he was becoming visibly frustrated. Kyle put the team on his back and played a great game as we have come to expect, but we were still losing. Enter Tyler Thornton. His presence, defensive pressure, and relief of point guard responsibility from Nolan sparked the team. True, he didn't score much, but Nolan did, and Seth did, and Kyle continued to. Tyler was definitely the straw that stirred the drink against MD!

Lord Ash
01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I know this sounds mean, but I am wary of voting for someone only because they may not get the chance again... MOTM is not a feel-good sort of thing, it should reflect brutal honesty and reality!

You old softies.

:)

jv001
01-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I know this sounds mean, but I am wary of voting for someone only because they may not get the chance again... MOTM is not a feel-good sort of thing, it should reflect brutal honesty and reality!

You old softies.

:)

Not mean at all. I guess I've been looking at voting in MOTM incorrectly. I thought it was for the player that played the best in that particular contest. But some vote because: this player may not get another chance to win, this person came off the bench and had a surprisingly good game and some just vote for their favorite player. Last night Tyler and Curry played their best games in a Duke uniform, but they were not the best player on the court. Kyle Singler was. If Kyle had not played the way he did in the first half, Tyler and Seth's great play would have been in vain. We would have been too far behind. Maybe one day I will figure this MOTM voting thing out. Go Duke!

dukeluv
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMa6N-_gdXM

Why Thorton got my vote. Until he entered game Maryland had control of tempo.

Singler threw up a lot of points but defense wins games IMO>

hope we get better at Free Throws 62% Lucky Maryland was 52%

dukelifer
01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Thornton- the game changed when he entered. Kyle and Seth hit some big shots but Tyler changed the energy on the court. He had a Zoubek like coming out party. I hope we continue to see more of him. Defense wins games.

loran16
01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I voted for Seth due to being criminally underrated here.

Seth and TT had the best +/-s on the team. This was not an accident. Kyle played pretty good, but it was Seth and TT's presence that swung the game guys.

CDu
01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I voted for Seth due to being criminally underrated here.

Seth and TT had the best +/-s on the team. This was not an accident. Kyle played pretty good, but it was Seth and TT's presence that swung the game guys.

Singler played VERY well, not just pretty well. And it's easier to play well when you only have to bring it for ~15 minutes as opposed to carrying the team for the full 40.

Curry and Thornton were definitely key in the second half runs, and without their performances we very well may have lost. But Singler brought it for 40 minutes. And without his performance we definitely would have lost. He was the player of the game for me, with a strong honorable mention for both Curry and Thornton.

loran16
01-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Singler played VERY well, not just pretty well. And it's easier to play well when you only have to bring it for ~15 minutes as opposed to carrying the team for the full 40.

Curry and Thornton were definitely key in the second half runs. But Singler brought it for 40 minutes. He was the player of the game for me, with a strong honorable mention for both Curry and Thornton.

Eh, when I think about MotM, I think about "What players made the difference." To me, it was TT and Curry, who turned the tide for good. Kyle kept them in it and made the key dagger at the end, but without TT and Curry, I think we lose this one. So they're a step above for me.

But it's a philosophical debate, not one with any actual real answer, so to each their own. No one is wrong, except for the person who picks Josh Hairston today.

gep
01-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Curry and Thornton were definitely key in the second half runs, and without their performances we very well may have lost. But Singler brought it for 40 minutes. And without his performance we definitely would have lost. He was the player of the game for me, with a strong honorable mention for both Curry and Thornton.

Unfortunately in this game, Kyle has to "settle" for the fact that he is the NPOY candidate... so "bringing it for 40 minutes" is somewhat expected... kinda like how hard it will be for Coach K to get COY honors again.

I went with Tyler. During the 2nd half, I think it was about half-way through Tyler's impact on the game, I told myself... "self, Tyler's the MOTM for me". And he continued his great play. Unfortunately, his freshman, lack-of-playing time in pressure situations, probably contributed to his 2 FT misses late in the game. But still, Tyler turned the energy level and game to me...:cool: