PDA

View Full Version : Well, not exactly

rthomas
01-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Well, this does go both ways. If you have to explain to somebody umpteen million times that they are not a rival, then they begin to look like a duck.

dukebluelemur
01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Well, this does go both ways. If you have to explain to somebody umpteen million times that they are not a rival, then they begin to look like a duck.

How does that work? That dorky little kid two grades below who picks his nose at recess doesn't become your friend by following you around all the time like a sick puppy when you repeatedly tell him not to. A relationship takes two.

SCMatt33
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
How does that work? That dorky little kid two grades below who picks his nose at recess doesn't become your friend by following you around all the time like a sick puppy when you repeatedly tell him not to. A relationship takes two.

I don't think we treat Maryland like that. If we did, we would treat the Maryland game exactly the same as an average ACC game, which is simply not the case. I think Maryland is more like the kid you hang out with at home, but don't want to be seen with in public so you ignore him when others are around. It is still clear that you mean more to him that he does to you, but its not like you don't care about him at all, even if you tell everyone that. Duke fans still get up for a Maryland game more than a Clemson, UVA, or BC game. For Duke, Maryland is a rival, unlike UNC who is the rival.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Nolan said they are a rival. But he grew up in their shadow.

We beat them twice when I was an undergrad in HUGE upsets (1973 and 1976). We beat them up there when Shane found his "3 stroke" in 2000 (?) in a mild surprise. They are a helluva lot of fun to beat. I love to beat them and hate to lose to them; they are a conference team. Lefty used to coach them. Sweaty does coach them. But they are, and always will be, a secondary rival and NOT our main, #1 rival. :cool:

And it's fun to taunt their fans that they are not our rival, too! :cool::cool:

rthomas
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM

It's more like when your wife asks if she looks fat in her dress. If she asks a million times, quack quack.

Edit: that the generic "your wife".

OldPhiKap
01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
"Look at me! I'm important!"

Sad.

dukeimac
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I you spend time debating if they are a rivalry, they are a rivalry.

We are talking about UNC aren't we?

davekay1971
01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
The best analogy I can think of for Maryland would be one of those misfit kids with some anger issues who decides he's got an issue with one of the honor roll kids. The honor roll kid is in student government, gets on well with the teachers, and doesn't have any particular issue with misfit anger-management kid. But misfit anger-management kid starts bumping him in the hallway, saying crap to his girlfriend, keying his car, until finally honor roll kid can't help but start paying attention to anger-management kid.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Maryland has made themselves special, despite being only intermittently in competitive with us on the court, by being SO FREAKING ANNOYING. We probably wouldn't take any more pleasure in beating them than we do beating any other ACC team, except that their fans are so obnoxious that, sooner or later, you find yourself getting in the mud to wrestle with them.

In 2000-2002 Maryland was a legitimate rival on the court. The 4 games we played in the 2000-2001 season were epic. Since then, Maryland has only been remarkable for leading the ACC in cars burned, obnoxious behavior, and Duke hating.

dukebluelemur
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
It's more like when your wife asks if she looks fat in her dress. If she asks a million times, quack quack.

Eh? So if I go around telling people I'm the President, eventually I will be? Repeating something often enough doesn't make it true.

Yes I feel somewhat differently about beating Maryland than even some other schools, but its a sense of satisfaction at inflicting misery on people I dislike, not a pride in overcoming a hated but respected opponent (what I feel is a real rivalry).

And SCMatt, I think that's only because Maryland has, of late, been better than those teams. If Clemson were to win a NC, have a couple good tourney runs, and beat some really good Duke teams, I think you would see Duke fans start to anticipate those games at the same level of the Maryland games. Which isn't to say that we would feel the same about clemson fans, who are very nice people (I married one). In the early 2000s, there were some pretty good Wake teams, good enough that they were picked as secondary tenting games. There was, as you said, a rivalry there, based on the quality of the opposition. Obviously, that has disappeared lately.

dukebluelemur
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I you spend time debating if they are a rivalry, they are a rivalry.

What is with the bizzare, irrational logic in this thread? Crystal Mangum approves of your rationale. The existence of a disagreement proves nothing but that there is a disagreement.

rthomas
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Eh? So if I go around telling people I'm the President, eventually I will be? Repeating something often enough doesn't make it true.

What you are saying has absolutely nothing to do with what I am saying.

PS. If Wikipedia says it, it must be true. lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_rivalry#ACC_rivalries

sagegrouse
01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
What is with the bizzare, irrational logic in this thread? Crystal Mangum approves of your rationale. The existence of a disagreement proves nothing but that there is a disagreement.

Agreed. I was looking for the pancake bunny photo but couldn't find it. -- sagegrouse

El_Diablo
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Recent head-to-head
Duke is 3-3 against UNC and 6-1 against Maryland in the last three seasons. Duke is 34-35 against UNC under Coach K. Duke is 48-21 against Maryland under Coach K.

National Prominence
Titles - UNC has five NCAA titles, and Duke has four. Maryland has one.
Final Fours - UNC has been to 18 Final Fours, and Duke has been to 15 Final Fours. Maryland has been to two.
NPOY - Historically, UNC claims ten NPOY winners. Duke has nine. Maryland has one. As for Naismith Award winners, Duke has 7 NPOY, UNC has 3 NPOY, and Maryland has 1 NPOY. If you want to use Wooden Awards instead, Duke has 5, UNC has 4, Maryland has 0.

ACC Dominance
Duke has 18 ACC championships. UNC has 17. Maryland has 3 (only two in the last half century).

Rosters
I know the name of every recruited player on the UNC roster, as well as the collective name of all the walk-ons (Blue Steel). I had to look at ESPN this morning to figure out who (besides Jordan Williams) is on the Maryland roster. Maybe other fans are different, but I think my relative levels of interest is somewhat telling (albeit merely anecdotal).

Recruiting
Similarly, I also know the name of every current high school player who has committed to UNC (including the newest one, Marcus "Lil Woody" Paige). I can't think of a single player committed to Maryland or know anyone whom they are in the running for. We regularly compete head-to-head with UNC as finalists for high school recruits, triumphantly winning some and dejectedly losing out on others. But how many recruits have we lost to Maryland? None recently that I can think of. How many players even consider both schools as finalists???

No, I do not consider Maryland a rival at all. They had a very good run a decade ago, and they are coached well enough to make most games a challenge, but the only reason I cherish a victory over Maryland more than one over Clemson or GT is that it silences the annoying, immature Terp fans for a little while. But it's still no comparison to UNC for me.

CLT Devil
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I think El Diablo hit the nail on the head as far as disputing the article written by the Twerp student/fan who said the Duke v. MD games have been more competitive lately than the UNC games.

As sophomoric as some 'Holes fans can be there is nothing quite like a Twerp to bring it to a new low. Whether it's the 'This Is Why You S--k' video (which I thought was funny and not typical of the average smack coming out of CP), the claim a couple of years back that some fans pulled a fire alarm and cranked called the Duke hotel in CP, or worst of all the MD grad who showed up on the HBO - Tobacco Road special claiming that all Duke fans are 'F'n Dorks' - it just seems like they have a bully attitude towards Duke.

Not to sound elitist, but they are not on the same level as us as far as wit and humor in 'dissing' a rival team, and I think this is why our fans shrug them off and don't take them seriously. Anyone can curse and use sexual slurs, violence and profanity to get attention (not the kind you want on national TV when the student sections curses in unison) and to try and get under another team's skin. It takes a little more thought to really, really get to someone.

I love when we beat MD for the same reason as so many others on here: It's not that I know a bunch of MD fans who would trash me for a season like all my UNC fans, it's more that I know there are a bunch of TO'd students and grads who if they beat Duke would stick out their chests for a year and claim to have won a big rivalry game.

For me it all comes down to the dissappointed look on their fans faces and the fear of any store owner near their campus when they lose and decide to riot and burn things to feel better about themselves. With UNC, our true rival, it's all about a whole year of ribbing and joking about the other team who lost the game.

There is a lot to hate with MD, from their fans, their players, their fans, administration, Gary, and the fans...I just don't get the satisfaction out of beating them that I do with UNC. I would put MD on the same level with VTech as far as me just simply not liking their sports teams and seeing it as a good versus evil matchup.

Duke1988
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
for a long time now, the duke-md games have been scheduled in early feb and early march, i.e. around the same time as the unc games. in fact, espn has shown many of these late season games during "rivalry week," "showdown week," or whatever it's called. to me, this marketing has perpetuated the false notion that duke and md are "rivals." (if espn says we're rivals, it must be true, right?) . . .

but this year, i notice that we play md in the beginning of jan and the beginning of feb. why the change? why would we NOT be playing our "rivals" in the first week of march?

i bring this up b/c i have not heard any discussion regarding this change in scheduling. the writer of this article (the one dbr linked to) certainly doesn't bring it up, as it would run counter to his thesis.

so maybe i've missed this discussion, but when i first looked at our 2010-11 schedule, the very first observation i made was a sarcastic "what happened to our rival md? we're playing them at the same time we would play any other team in the league."

thoughts???

Kedsy
01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
...and the fear of any store owner near their campus when they lose and decide to riot and burn things to feel better about themselves.

Is this really true? I mean, seriously, they riot when they win, too. ;)

Tom B.
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Basically, what I'm saying is that Maryland has made themselves special, despite being only intermittently competitive with us on the court, by being SO FREAKING ANNOYING. We probably wouldn't take any more pleasure in beating them than we do beating any other ACC team, except that their fans are so obnoxious that, sooner or later, you find yourself getting in the mud to wrestle with them.

In 2000-2002 Maryland was a legitimate rival on the court. The 4 games we played in the 2000-2001 season were epic. Since then, Maryland has only been remarkable for leading the ACC in cars burned, obnoxious behavior, and Duke hating.

Nailed it.

77devil
01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Agreed. I was looking for the pancake bunny photo but couldn't find it. -- sagegrouse

I always understand what you're talking about, but here it is for your future use.

I think having MD twice on the schedule permanently(?) has perpetuated the notion among MD fans, and perhaps others that they are one of Duke's ACC rivals.

Greg_Newton
01-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Mutual respect is an important element in a rivalry - as much as I detest baby blue, I have a lot of respect for the whole institution of UNC basketball, which is one reason why it means so much to beat them.

That same respect isn't there for Maryland's program for me. Being incredibly disrespectful and classless may make someone dislike you, but it won't make them respect you.

Although unfortunately, they are designated one of our two official "rivals" by ACC if they want to get technical...:rolleyes:

DukeBlueHeart4
01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Mutual respect is an important element in a rivalry - as much as I detest baby blue, I have a lot of respect for the whole institution of UNC basketball, which is one reason why it means so much to beat them.

That same respect isn't there for Maryland's program for me. Being incredibly disrespectful and classless may make someone dislike you, but it won't make them respect you.

Well said. Maryland fans have done themselves a great disservice by apparently equating maliciousness and (at times) downright stupidity with the basis of a true rivalry. Without the respect that I have for the UNC program (no matter how much I dislike it) that rivalry wouldn't mean as much.

JD79
01-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I think Shatzer make some relevent and not exaggerated points. Nothing wrong with a 2nd rivalry behind the Heels. Makes it more interesting as a fan even though it's much more on their side. I believe the Crazies would say that harrassing Vasquez the last few years has been part of the lore recently.

Everyone wants to compare themselves to us in BB.

Kdogg
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
What you are saying has absolutely nothing to do with what I am saying.

PS. If Wikipedia says it, it must be true. lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_rivalry#ACC_rivalries

I'm missing something because they don't list it.

I always understand what you're talking about, but here it is for your future use.

I think having MD twice on the schedule permanently(?) has perpetuated the notion among MD fans, and perhaps others that they are one of Duke's ACC rivals.

Like a spoiled kid, the Maryland AD demanded that for the basketball schedule after expansion.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
If I didn't live in the DC area, I would agree more strongly with everyone who thinks that beating MD isn't important. Proximity to their awful fans gives me more of a reason to dislike them. Does intense hatred of a team make them a rival? No, but beating MD is much better than beating Miami or FSU or even NCSU.

BTW, here's a perfect reason to dislike them. In many of the teaser packages that Comcast Sportsnet was running for their halftime discussion of the game, they repeatedly showed the hard pick Dave Neal gave Nolan Smith a few years back, the one that Nolan got a concussion from. That replay had NO bearing on this game, yet they showed it at least 3 times and included a slowmo version each time. This is why you should hate MD.

alteran
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Nice edit there, rthomas. Let us know when you're off the couch.;)

DoubleDuke Dad
01-10-2011, 11:09 AM
If I didn't live in the DC area, I would agree more strongly with everyone who thinks that beating MD isn't important. Proximity to their awful fans gives me more of a reason to dislike them. Does intense hatred of a team make them a rival? No, but beating MD is much better than beating Miami or FSU or even NCSU.

BTW, here's a perfect reason to dislike them. In many of the teaser packages that Comcast Sportsnet was running for their halftime discussion of the game, they repeatedly showed the hard pick Dave Neal gave Nolan Smith a few years back, the one that Nolan got a concussion from. That replay had NO bearing on this game, yet they showed it at least 3 times and included a slowmo version each time. This is why you should hate MD.

I noticed that also. Why would you highlight a play where the player was injured? It just shows the lack of class of the part Comcast broadcast crew. I guess they thought that would make Maryland fans happy.

brumby041
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Absolutely agree - I was laughing out loud at the Comcast SportsNet coverage before the game. Not only did they repeatedly show the Dave Neal play, the way they tried to frame Gary and K as equals was hilarious. Best Quote: "Between them, they have 5 National Championships!".

I went back and checked my records: Turns out that between us, Coach K and I have 4 National Championships. I must be a future Hall of Famer!

Sad, really.

alteran
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Bringing up Crystal Mangum on a Duke site comes perilously to triggering Godwin's Law. :)

I also think we're getting hung up on semantics here. No, repeating something often enough does not make it true. Likewise, repeating that something's NOT TRUE does not make it false, either.

I think a paraphrase of what the original poster was saying might be, "the lady doth protest too much."

We're saying "hey, you're not our rivals" to the point where it loses credibility. I think that's the whole point. If there weren't a small amount of rivalry here, we wouldn't feel compelled to keep mentioning it to annoy Terps, we'd laugh at how pathetic they are and move on.

Faustus
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Absolutely agree - I was laughing out loud at the Comcast SportsNet coverage before the game. Not only did they repeatedly show the Dave Neal play, the way they tried to frame Gary and K as equals was hilarious. Best Quote: "Between them, they have 5 National Championships!".

I went back and checked my records: Turns out that between us, Coach K and I have 4 National Championships. I must be a future Hall of Famer!

Sad, really.

There's a famous stat I've heard used a few times (but of course can't remember precisely now) showing that the record for the most combined wins in baseball by brothers belongs to Cy Young and his brother. All but I think one were Cy's wins, though.

rthomas
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Bringing up Crystal Mangum on a Duke site comes perilously to triggering Godwin's Law. :)

I also think we're getting hung up on semantics here. No, repeating something often enough does not make it true. Likewise, repeating that something's NOT TRUE does not make it false, either.

I think a paraphrase of what the original poster was saying might be, "the lady doth protest too much."

We're saying "hey, you're not our rivals" to the point where it loses credibility. I think that's the whole point. If there weren't a small amount of rivalry here, we wouldn't feel compelled to keep mentioning it to annoy Terps, we'd laugh at how pathetic they are and move on.

Exactly.

Kedsy
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
There's a famous stat I've heard used a few times (but of course can't remember precisely now) showing that the record for the most combined wins in baseball by brothers belongs to Cy Young and his brother. All but I think one were Cy's wins, though.

I believe the stat is actually Hall-of-Famer Christy Mathewson and his brother Henry (although it's possible the Perry brothers or the Niekro brothers beat that record). I don't think Cy Young had a brother who played major league ball, though I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up.

More information that you wanted? What?

Faustus
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I believe the stat is actually Hall-of-Famer Christy Mathewson and his brother Henry (although it's possible the Perry brothers or the Niekro brothers beat that record). I don't think Cy Young had a brother who played major league ball, though I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up.

More information that you wanted? What?

Kedsy, I suspect you're right, and that I remember it even less well than I believed. But it's still pretty humorous and the point of lumping Gary's admittedly fine single national championship with that other, um, lump of them, is still amusing as well.

What really irritated me about the DC Comcast coverage of the game was that they actually included a crawl along the lower end of the screen with "rivalry stats" and frequently pro-Maryland comments during the game telecast itself. I've never, ever, seen such partisan televising from one local outlet of a national network game like this before. That has a potential to become very disturbing.

Tom B.
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
What really irritated me about the DC Comcast coverage of the game was that they actually included a crawl along the lower end of the screen with "rivalry stats" and frequently pro-Maryland comments during the game telecast itself. I've never, ever, seen such partisan televising from one local outlet of a national network game like this before. That has a potential to become very disturbing.

I saw that too. I couldn't figure out what it was at first, then I finally realized it was just some CSN guy doing the equivalent of a real-time Twitter feed of his random thoughts during the game. It made the overall production seem rather amateurish.

Duvall
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I saw that too. I couldn't figure out what it was at first, then I finally realized it was just some CSN guy doing the equivalent of a real-time Twitter feed of his random thoughts during the game. It made the overall production seem rather amateurish.

So very glad Fox Sunday Night Hoops will be put out of our misery after this season. Eight more weeks!

dball
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM

To paraphrase Gminski from last year "sort of like saying me and Wilt scored 101 one game in Hershey, PA."

dball
01-10-2011, 05:16 PM
I know we're supposed to be franchise fans, but we're talking about Maryland.

I mean listen we're sitting here talking about Maryland, not the Heels

We're talking about Maryland, man...not UNC...not the rivalry

We're talking about Maryland.

I mean how silly is that?

(with apologies to AI)

sagegrouse
01-10-2011, 06:23 PM
To paraphrase Gminski from last year "sort of like saying me and Wilt scored 101 one game in Hershey, PA."

There is also Tommie Aaron and his better-known brother, Hammering Hank: 768 combined HRs, including 13 from Tommie.

sagegrouse

-bdbd
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Faustus: What really irritated me about the DC Comcast coverage of the game was that they actually included a crawl along the lower end of the screen with "rivalry stats" and frequently pro-Maryland comments during the game telecast itself. I've never, ever, seen such partisan televising from one local outlet of a national network game like this before. That has a potential to become very disturbing.

I'm in NoVA in Comcast territory too. Glad to hear others reacted as I did last night. Repeatedly showing Neal's foream to Nolan's head - I would argue "dirty play" - injury was just classless. (I was at that game in CP and will never forgive the thousands of MD fans chanting loudly, while Smith lay prostrate on the floor for several minutes... They were pointing to the Jumbotron and chanting "Re-play, re-play!!") No question why Comcast repeatedly showed it - pandering to the home folks. Just classless. :mad:

The scrawl across the bottom of the screen all game was just dumb. The comments were pretty infrequent (as a single, simple comment would continue to scrawl for apx ~10+ minutes or more...). Most were blatantly pro-MD comments, broken up by the occasional neutral-sounding comment for "balance"...My favorite: "Duke does a good job of hiding their inability to score inside." And about 5 mnutes in, with Duke up by about 8, like 10-2, the scrawl states,"Duke still hasn't been able to solve the Jordan Williams problem." As someone said, it just looked ridiculously amateurish. :rolleyes:

I stated on an earlier thread this weekend that the name of the game for journalists in the DC media seems to be to pander to the "home" fans by saying one-sided, often silly stuff for MD and Va Tech, and to a lesser extent about UVA (I think the Cav fans are smarter and can figure out when they're being pandered to).

BTW, after the game Comcast had their own 2-man version of Gameday set up outside the north entrance on CIS. Their main Sportscaster, Chick Hernandez, looked downright despondant, to say nothing of freezing cold, all wrapped up in a million layers sitting there in his director's chair. Pretty funny actually. :D

Overall a pretty embarrassing broadcast. Just one more straw on the back re switching from Comcast to Verizon FIOS....

P.S. For the rematch I will probably watch with some buddies. If I'm in the mood to get really smashed, I'm going to propose a drinking game along the lines of "Take a shot every time someone on Comcast gratuitously addresses their DC audience and refers to it as 'the rivalry.' " Trust me, you'll get wasted!!!

dukeblue4ever
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm missing something because they don't list it.

Like a spoiled kid, the Maryland AD demanded that for the basketball schedule after expansion.At the bottom it says
University of Maryland and Duke University — This is a recent rivalry, sparked because of Maryland's increased competitiveness in NCAA basketball. However the two teams are competitive in basketball and Maryland is known for their visceral hatred of Duke.[13]

Linked at the bottom of wiki is a Jay Bilas article on ESPN that is titled Duke vs. Maryland rivalry needs respect (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=1989324)

jtelander
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/_/post/6008395/a-one-sided-rivalry

wilson
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

More information that you wanted? What?Similarly, Hank and Tommie Aaron hold the record for most total home runs by brothers, with 768: 755 for Hank, 13 for Tommie.

Edit: sagegrouse beat me to it.

Tom B.
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
So very glad Fox Sunday Night Hoops will be put out of our misery after this season. Eight more weeks!

I don't think that the crawling Twitterific commentary was Fox -- I think it was something that CSN added to the feed just for their viewers. So if you were watching on a different FSN affiliate in another part of the country, I don't think you saw the crawl.

That being said, between their insistence on constantly experimenting with lousy camera angles and "He's Henry, Clay Henry...." (it's been like seven years and I still can't get that song out of my head) I won't be heartbroken to see Fox's Sunday night ACC hoops broadcast go. About the only good thing they ever did was trade Kenny Smith in for Mike Gminski.

throatybeard
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm going to approximate what I said long ago about this.

Carolina is like your rascally cousin in a country song, who stole your woman, ran over your dog, wrecked your truck, put your house up as collateral on his gambling debt, and ate your last box of honey nut. You hate his guts like hell, but he's still family. When his momma [Dean Smith] dies,* you'll pay your respects at the funeral.

Maryland is like a random thug in a dark alley who just jumped you and started wailing on you once in a while back in 2000. You have no idea who he is, you wish he'd just go away. It's not personal, just tiresome. They could beat us 30 out of the next 40. I'd be irritated, but still want to beat Carolina more even if they had beaten us 30 out of 40.

* -- Mssr Smith was not ill when I made this analogy originally. All due respect.

Duvall
01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think that the crawling Twitterific commentary was Fox -- I think it was something that CSN added to the feed just for their viewers. So if you were watching on a different FSN affiliate in another part of the country, I don't think you saw the crawl.

True, but that's my biggest beef with the FSN games - the ACC games are subject to the whims of the regional Fox networks, and ripe for preemption for NBA games, NHL games, and God help us, Redskins postgame.

Papa John
01-11-2011, 06:55 AM

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/IconFIN/bunny-pancake.jpg

epoulsen
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
While I understand many of the arguments, I think that this whole "rivalry" scenario isn't really fair for Maryland, partly due to their own ignorance. Duke vs. UNC is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest rivalry in sports. It is impossible for anyone to match the level of intensity or competition displayed by both schools when pitted against one another. Maryland cannot understand that, and they never will understand that. So from their point of view we are rivals, and if you compared the "Maryland Duke rivalry" with any other in Sportsdom you would find that it does meet the criteria. It just doesn't meet OUR criteria.

The only comparable situation I can think of is the following:

Consider the ECU Pirates. If you were to ask any NC State fan who their rival is they would say "Tha Tarholes" without hesitation (I realize this puts a hole in my argument, but for arguments sake lets say it doesn't). Enter the ECU Pirates. Every now and then their football program pulls a quick one on NC State, not enough to be a real threat each year, but enough to be a blip on their radar, if not but a small blip. And if you ask any ECU fan who their rival is they will say "The Wolfpups" without hesitation. And they would be right and many State fans would agree. In fact, one could argue that because NC State shares a rival with Duke the ECU rivalry is that much more important. Just because NC State already has a rival doesn't mean they can't be rivals with anyone else. Rivalry isn't a monogamous relationship, you can have a rivalry on the side with it's own benefits. Just never lose sight of who your one, true first rival is.

alteran
01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
While I understand many of the arguments, I think that this whole "rivalry" scenario isn't really fair for Maryland, partly due to their own ignorance. Duke vs. UNC is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest rivalry in sports. It is impossible for anyone to match the level of intensity or competition displayed by both schools when pitted against one another. Maryland cannot understand that, and they never will understand that. So from their point of view we are rivals, and if you compared the "Maryland Duke rivalry" with any other in Sportsdom you would find that it does meet the criteria. It just doesn't meet OUR criteria.

The only comparable situation I can think of is the following:

Consider the ECU Pirates. If you were to ask any NC State fan who their rival is they would say "Tha Tarholes" without hesitation (I realize this puts a hole in my argument, but for arguments sake lets say it doesn't). Enter the ECU Pirates. Every now and then their football program pulls a quick one on NC State, not enough to be a real threat each year, but enough to be a blip on their radar, if not but a small blip. And if you ask any ECU fan who their rival is they will say "The Wolfpups" without hesitation. And they would be right and many State fans would agree. In fact, one could argue that because NC State shares a rival with Duke the ECU rivalry is that much more important. Just because NC State already has a rival doesn't mean they can't be rivals with anyone else. Rivalry isn't a monogamous relationship, you can have a rivalry on the side with it's own benefits. Just never lose sight of who your one, true first rival is.

I think you're getting at something here. I wonder if some of the disagreements here are over "a rival" versus "THE rival."

UNC clearly is our one true rival. But Maryland is A rival, and losing to them sure does irritate me more on a personal level than losing to, say, Clemson.

Indoor66
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I think you're getting at something here. I wonder if some of the disagreements here are over "a rival" versus "THE rival."

UNC clearly is our one true rival. But Maryland is A rival, and losing to them sure does irritate me more on a personal level than losing to, say, Clemson.

In that vein, we have 11 rivals and then The Rival - UNC.

94duke
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
In that vein, we have 11 rivals and then The Rival - UNC.

I would agree with this. We have 11 conference rivals. We care about some of them more than others, and that depends each individual.
We have one Archrival. The Rivalry.

Archrival (Merriam-Webster): a principal rival
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/archrival

-bdbd
01-11-2011, 03:25 PM

I live in the DC area and have had this "discussion" with more than one Terp-fan friend. It absolutely is a semantics thing. We think of "rival" as only a singular thing - there can only be one true R-I-V-A-L. While they say - hey we've won X out of the last 20 meetings, which is more than anyone else vs Duke, therefore we are A rival of Duke (as in one of many). I have yet to find a Terp fan who truly believes their "rivalry" with us is bigger than that of UNC. And when we say, "You're not our rival," they hear "You're not a threat" or "We don't care about you." You can't separate the whole Terp fan "insecurity" issue from this discussion, which makes it especially important to them.

Again, it is all semantics from where I sit. Nobody at Duke doesn't love beating MD, and yes we view them usually as a threat, but we just don't choose to term that as "rival." They do.

But it sure is fun getting under their collective skins... And our disdain over their crude/obscene cheers, bottle/coin throwing fans (inside Comcast), and riot-at-every-opportunity rowdiness -- well than just fuels their angst further.

:rolleyes: :eek: ;)

P.S. To their credit, at least a little, MD has risen to a level in most Devils' minds, maybe where NCSU was 30 years ago when I was in school. With 25 years of poor BB, and the football move to the other division, I think the State position in our collective "rivaldom" universe has maybe slipped a couple notches over the last 25 years -- at least per the view from Durham.

Bostondevil
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I root for Maryland against non-ACC teams, sometimes against other ACC teams.

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (ad infinitum) root for UNC.

I'm just sayin' . . .

gep
01-13-2011, 01:42 AM
I root for Maryland against non-ACC teams, sometimes against other ACC teams.

I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (ad infinitum) root for UNC.

I'm just sayin' . . .

What about UNC vs Kentucky? or UNC vs ucon? For these 2 games, I *really* have a hard time watching the games, knowing someone has to win:confused: