PDA

View Full Version : Luck Coming to Wallace Wade

El_Diablo
01-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Andrew Luck is declining to enter the draft and is returning to Stanford next year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Stanford plays at Duke on 9/10/11. :cool:

4decadedukie
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Duke and Stanford have SO much in common; they are both outstanding universities in so many arenas. It will be a privilege to host The Cardinal at Wade and to watch these teams (and Luck) in action. I am very pleased Luck has decided to remain at least an additional year, hopefully he will eventually graduate. I suspect he will win next season's Heisman.

Channing
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
wow. I can't say I would have made the same decision. If the NFL goes to rookie slotting, as is widely expecting, Luck is leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table (possibly up to 40 million guaranteed).

Duvall
01-06-2011, 04:47 PM
wow. I can't say I would have made the same decision. If the NFL goes to rookie slotting, as is widely expecting, Luck is leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table (possibly up to 40 million guaranteed).

I've seen a couple places that the new rookie scale would probably start with the 2011 draft class, not 2012, so Luck may not be giving up that much.

Channing
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I've seen a couple places that the new rookie scale would probably start with the 2011 draft class, not 2012, so Luck may not be giving up that much.

I have seen reports that the slotting may be in play for 2011, but almost definitely will be in play for 2012. Personally, I would leave in 2011 and hope slotting doesn't kick in until 2012, but, unfortunately, it wasn't my decision to make.

Bluedog
01-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow, I'm surprised as well. Luck has been really impressive in his career; he must really enjoy Stanford and being a student. Good for him! I definitely cheer for Stanford and it'll be nice to see them in Wade. Will this game by on national TV? That'd be sweet. Obviously, hasn't been determined yet, and probably won't, but I'm still holding out hope.

On another note, Luck is in Stanford's engineering school? Impressive. Not many prospective #1 NFL picks would do that even if they were smart enough. I sure wouldn't. :)

InSpades
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Duke and Stanford have SO much in common; they are both outstanding universities in so many arenas. It will be a privilege to host The Cardinal at Wade and to watch these teams (and Luck) in action. I am very pleased Luck has decided to remain at least an additional year, hopefully he will eventually graduate. I suspect he will win next season's Heisman.

He is a redshirt sophomore this year so he's actually a junior academically. Next year will be his senior year and he will graduate (as he mentioned at his press conference). He technically has 2 more years of eligibility but it seems really unlikely he would use the 4th year.

weezie
01-06-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm with you. No football brain am I but wasn't he a sure #1,2,3 pick?
Forgive me if I am truly clueless.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
The Panthers said they were going to take him with the #1 pick if he entered the draft.

6th Man
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM
The Panthers said they were going to take him with the #1 pick if he entered the draft.

That probably influenced his decision a little...either that or the allure of playing in Wallace Wade was just too much to turn down. Maybe this will make Stanford a little more competitive in the game.:cool:

sagegrouse
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Which, of course, persuaded Mr. Luck to continue pursuit of his education. :p

sagegrouse

El_Diablo
01-06-2011, 05:47 PM
As the #1 pick in 2012, he might end up with the Panthers anyway. :D

4decadedukie
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
He is a redshirt sophomore this year so he's actually a junior academically. Next year will be his senior year and he will graduate (as he mentioned at his press conference). He technically has 2 more years of eligibility but it seems really unlikely he would use the 4th year.

Thanks, I am even more pleased that Luck is likely to graduate in 2012. FYI, I based my comment on ESPN's bowl commentators indicating that he was a sophomore; I am too frequently underwhelmed by the sports media's gaffs regarding "educational class status." For example, during the last few Lacrosse Final Fours, several Dukies who had received their undergraduate degrees and were enrolled at Fuqua (or other University post-graduate programs) were repeatedly referred to as "fifth year seniors," which was simply erroneous.

RawlsDeep
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Stanford's Architectural program is not accredited, however UNC-Charlotte is, as well as NC States. I'm from Charlotte his decision greatly saddens me as a Panthers fan.

In an unrelated matter this is my first post, I have been coming to this site and this board for a couple years now though. Thought I would throw this in.

LSanders
01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
... he must really enjoy Stanford and being a student.

Remind you of a certain Blue Devil?

The concerns about salary cap-ish issues are real, but only if wealth attainment is a person's primary goal. Luck will be a #1 pick whenever he comes out. He'll be an instant millionaire. Maybe he won't be as much of a mega-millionaire, but he won't have to worry about paying his bills. Plus, he'll get to play a game he loves for a living.

Being a student-athlete occupies a small, magical segment of his life. Stanford's one of the few universities that can rival Duke. I'm sure he's having a blast. It's interesting that the prospect of losing his coach seems to have no impact. That means ... Stanford ... Earning a degree ... Cherishing the opportunity to PLAY a game (as opposed to making it a job) ... Etc. are priceless to him. Says a lot about him, as it does Kyle and Nolan.

When someone makes a decision for the love of the game, it reminds me of Shoeless Joe Jackson in , "Field of Dreams:"

JACKSON: Man, I did love this game. I'd have played for food money. It was a game.

Bravo, Andrew!

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Which, of course, persuaded Mr. Luck to continue pursuit of his education. :p

sagegrouse

He could have always taken the route of the last great Stanford quarterback and refused to play in Carolina.

hurleyfor3
01-06-2011, 11:40 PM
"Luck Coming to Wallace Wade"

Unfortunately, only in a literal sense.

JohnGalt
01-07-2011, 06:41 AM

It's about as big a decision as when Peyton decided to return to Tennessee for his senior season. Luck was a lock for Numero Uno and is widely regarded as a "can't-miss" NFL QB prospect...if such a thing indeed exists...

On a side note...it opens up the door for my main man Da'Quan Bowers to slide into that top spot...

OZZIE4DUKE
01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
It's about as big a decision as when Peyton decided to return to Tennessee for his senior season. Luck was a lock for Numero Uno and is widely regarded as a "can't-miss" NFL QB prospect...if such a thing indeed exists...

On a side note...it opens up the door for my main man Da'Quan Bowers to slide into that top spot...
So if the Panthers draft Bowers, who do they go after to play QB? McNab?

CLT Devil
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
NOOOOOO!

Panther nation is pretty bummed to day. I can't believe a guy would leave millions of guaranteed money on the table...who knows how high he will be drafted next year (Jake Locker). Plus, his Coach may be gone, the pay scale will more likely be in place in 2012, he will get drafted by a bad team (hopefully not Panthers) next year anyway, could get hurt and never get that money back.

I know people say his family has money, but just like Gerald H it's family money and not his own money...plus what family would turn down that much money to play a game? He can always go back to get his degree. It just baffles me the amount of money he is leaving on the table.

All that said, I look forward to watching him play in Wally Wade next year. Pretty cool how we are bringing in national powerhouses, though Stanford barely qualifies, to play us at home.

B-well
01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
"The Stanford Architectural Program is not accredited..." Google the program requirements for Stanford Architectural Design Program.

"Not quite a national powerhouse..." Take a look at the history of the Stanford football program - and the rest of their athletic programs over the last 20 years.

J_C_Steel
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I've heard rumors (if you're curious, I post on a football board that includes members who scout the game and work for certain NFL franchises) that Andrew Luck will re-consider his decision to return to Stanford and instead go pro if the Carolina Panthers indicate that they will trade the 1st overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft to another team that Luck would prefer. The thinking is that Luck wouldn't mind going to Denver (which holds the #2 pick), an organization now being overseen by Stanford legend John Elway.

The timing on this is tight, however, with only a week or so before the final decision must be made. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

killerleft
01-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Bring it on, Luck. Bring it on. Maybe we can send you back to Californ-I-A a bit older, a bit wiser, and with one more loss on your shiny resum-A.

If we can knock them off that pedestal we built for them I can stop hearing about Stanford this and Stanford that! Sheesh! :)

Bluedog
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
What's Up With the Stanford Putdowns???

"The Stanford Architectural Program is not accredited..." Google the program requirements for Stanford Architectural Design Program.

"Not quite a national powerhouse..." Take a look at the history of the Stanford football program - and the rest of their athletic programs over the last 20 years.

People are jealous? I don't know. I don't think they were super big putdowns. Obviously, Stanford has been very successful in football. Maybe the person was just saying they don't have a Alabama-like following, so it's not likely to be on national TV, etc. The Architectural Design Program is in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, so that's probably why it's not accredited. It's a "tweener" program so it's not an accredited ABET degree (despite students receiving a Bachelor of Science in Engineering) and most (all?) professional architecture degrees require 5 years or a masters degree later on. So, since it doesn't fulfill either of those niches (not a traditional engineering discipline, only 4 year architecture program), it doesn't get accreditation from either body.

Nobody is saying that it's not a good program or rigorous though; it's just a niche area that requires more training to get fully licensed as a professional. Nothing wrong with that of course. It does surprise me that Stanford even offers a program in its AMAZING engineering school that's not accredited though. Doesn't seem very Stanford-like. But that seems to be the case not due to the lack of rigor in the curriculum, but rather due to the "tweener" status of the content. At least, that's my take on it.

Luck is EXTREMELY impressive. If I was in the same situation, though, I don't think I could turn down the NFL.

J_C_Steel
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Luck is EXTREMELY impressive. If I was in the same situation, though, I don't think I could turn down the NFL.

It's really insane. If you're the consensus #1 pick, you should declare. That's $50 million GUARANTEED if the new NFL CBA doesn't include a rookie cap, and probably $30-50 million guaranteed even if it does.

Personally, I think he made this call 10 days before the deadline because (a) he simply does not want to be drafted by the Carolina Panthers, and/or (b) he believes that the NFL will lock out the players and he would "lose" a year of football if he came out in the '11 draft.

It's a huge risk, though, even if he insures himself against injury through Lloyd's of London. Look what happened when Jake Locker, a consensus top-5 selection for the 2010 NFL Draft, decided to go back to school. Now the kid might be a late first-round pick at best.

4decadedukie
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
It's really insane. If you're the consensus #1 pick, you should declare. That's $50 million GUARANTEED if the new NFL CBA doesn't include a rookie cap, and probably $30-50 million guaranteed even if it does.

Several posters to this – and similar – threads have expressed this viewpoint; I respectfully disagree. I suggest that for some individuals, completion of a Stanford (or a Duke degree) may be VERY important, notwithstanding the financial implications and the potential risks of serious injury in another year of intercollegiate athletics. I am NOT suggesting this is the correct decision for everyone, but neither do I believe it is axiomatically inappropriate or wrong.

J_C_Steel
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Several posters to this – and similar – threads have expressed this viewpoint; I respectfully disagree. I suggest that for some individuals, completion of a Stanford (or a Duke degree) may be VERY important, notwithstanding the financial implications and the potential risks of serious injury in another year of intercollegiate athletics. I am NOT suggesting this is the correct decision for everyone, but neither do I believe it is axiomatically inappropriate or wrong.

You can always go back and get your degree; you generally have one shot to be the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

That said, I'm sure there are other considerations. I don't think it's the degree. As I note above, I believe it's dissatisfaction with the Carolina Panthers organization and fear of an NFL lockout.

-bdbd
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM

While I almost always come down on the side of the traditional, academically-oriented values in college athletics, in this case I must say that it is a really risky decision on his part. $50M is a LOT of money to roll the dice with, risking injury and draft position (there's only ONE direction that he can move on the draft board now based on his 2011 performance!), and every slot down he moves removes millions from his future bank account.

Even as someone who values education, and especially a STANFORD education - again, I almost went there and grew up nearby - I don't think that even I could pass on that kind of money and incur that sort of risk. Not that anyone is offering me... To 4D's point about 'finishing that Stanford degree,' he could always enroll in Spring/Summer classes in the off-season and finish up the degree that way within a couple of years. (BTW, here in DC the Nats baseball team a couple years ago drafted a pitcher who wanted to go to Stanford, and worked out an arrangement for him to enroll/take classes there while still getting in a-bit-less-than-normal minor league time developing. So it can be done.) But of course he'd be off of scholarship then and would have to pay $50K/year, if he could afford it.... :confused: :rolleyes: :p

CameronBornAndBred
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Well...Luck is coming (we think), but their coach sure ain't. That is even bigger. For all we know Luck might get turf toe his first game, but they would still be pretty much the same team. Now, they will have a new coach. That's different.

SoCalDukeFan
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
What I could not understand is why Carolina did not offer Harbaugh enough dough to get him and hope he could sway Luck into coming out.

Maybe afraid of the strike.

It would seem to me that if Luck does want the Panthers he should do what Eli Manning did and tell them that he will not play for them and let them trade the pick. He could play for a year and then still be drafted by the Panthers.

I wonder what Jimmy Clausen thinks of Carolina announcing that they need a quarterback.

Lastly, I am sure that Luck has worked very hard to put himself in a position to graduate in four years. I hope he stays in school.

SoCal

OZZIE4DUKE
01-07-2011, 09:30 PM
What I could not understand is why Carolina did not offer Harbaugh enough dough to get him and hope he could sway Luck into coming out.

Maybe afraid of the strike.

It would seem to me that if Luck does want the Panthers he should do what Eli Manning did and tell them that he will not play for them and let them trade the pick. He could play for a year and then still be drafted by the Panthers.

I wonder what Jimmy Clausen thinks of Carolina announcing that they need a quarterback.

Lastly, I am sure that Luck has worked very hard to put himself in a position to graduate in four years. I hope he stays in school.

SoCal
Jerry Richardson, the Panther's owner, is a cheapskate. He plans to hire an up and coming defensive coordinator as his new head coach and not a "name" experienced head coach for big bucks. He said so in a press conference earlier in the week.

Devilsfan
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Maybe the Cardinal can hire Rich Rod as HC and he could opt to bench Luck in favor of an option qb.

Bob Green
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe the Cardinal can hire Rich Rod as HC and he could opt to bench Luck in favor of an option qb.

Seattle sports radio is stating it is a foregone conclusion Stanford will hire from within. I suspect the Offensive Coordinator is in line to be the next Head Coach.

sagegrouse
01-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Jerry Richardson, the Panther's owner, is a cheapskate. He plans to hire an up and coming defensive coordinator as his new head coach and not a "name" experienced head coach for big bucks. He said so in a press conference earlier in the week.

You doubt his superior knowlege of the NFL based on his two years (1959 and 1960) with the Baltimore Colts and his 15 receptions? I mean, what other current owner played in the NFL?

sagegrouse
'BTW, speaking of former players, how's that Michael Jordan thing working out for the Bobcats?'

hurleyfor3
01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
'BTW, speaking of former players, how's that Michael Jordan thing working out for the Bobcats?'

Espn recently covered this issue here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/110104_player_GM).

Devilsfan
01-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Maybe the Panthers' inability to win can outlast fan fav ol'Jerry and the Panthers get some good Luck in 2012.

diveonthefloor
01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I feel a little bad for Stanford football fans...
If Harbaugh had stayed, I think he might have had the ability to turn Stanford into sort of the "Duke" of college football. An extremely talented college coach with motivational, recruiting, strategic, and publice relations skills off the charts.
I know the man wants to pursue other challenges in the pros, but I can't help to imagine what his career would be like had he stayed at Stanford.

Jarhead
01-08-2011, 11:25 AM
With the Harbaugh departure from Stanford apparently a done deal (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/08/906416/niners-snap-up-harbaugh.html)($25 million over five years with the 49ers) I can't avoid thinking about the Luck situation. Was his announcement to hang around for another year in any way influenced by Harbaugh's departure, or was it just bad timing? For me the logical conclusion is that he had assurance that the Stanford selection for the vacancy would be the present offensive coordinator. Otherwise the impact on Luck's potential for a lucrative position in next year's draft could be huge. A new offense, which might not be suited to Luck's better skills, could be disastrous. He'd have to learn the new system, too. Not often a pleasant affair.