PDA

View Full Version : Cal's Gary Franklin to Transfer

Neals384
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Freshman Gary Franklin has left the Cal team and plans to transfer, despite starting the first 11 games this season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5992596

Franklin came off the bench the last two games, scoring 15 against Stanford including 4 of 7 from 3-pt range on Jan 2 - his final game as a Golden Bear. His season stats aren't good - .297 FG%, .444 FT% and .96 A/TO.

The buzz on Bear Insider (http://bearinsider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8) is that Franklin wants to be an NBA point guard and is upset at coming off the bench and being asked to play the 2 at Cal.

Seems to me like a terrible attutude leading to a terrible decision. Franklin was playing waaay more than you'd think based on his results. He had every opportunity to listen to his coach, improve, and earn his way back into the starting lineup.

What a contrast to Duke, where transfers, while dissapointing, always seems to be handled respectfully by the player, coaching staff and DBR.

By the way kudos to our Mods for combining threads when appropriate. On Bear Insider one has to wade thru at least five threads about the transfer.

4decadedukie
01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I must agree. Initially, it is only fair to say that I have not exhaustively researched this situation, having only read ESPN's report and one other (both likely superficial). However, ATTITUDE, VALUES and CHARACTER are crucial to enduring, meaningful successes in basketball -- and, much more critically, in life. Franklin appears to feel that his aspirations are entitlements and that progressively earning his dreams is not sufficiently prompt gratification. While I have no reason not to wish him luck, I suspect he will have to alter his attitude, his values and his character significantly to succeed, in life's many and varied arenas.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
A tough year for Mike Montgomery and Cal is gonna get a little tougher. Gary Franklin was probably the best recruit they got this past year...on paper at least. Those numbers are not good at all and judging by everything, I'll venture to guess he stays out West and plays at a mid-major school so he has the ball in his hands as much as possible.

burnspbesq
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Franklin is just the latest in a long line of malcontents from Mater Dei, joining Taylor King and the Wear twins.

Why he thought he was going to beat out Gutierrez is beyond me.