PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie interviews Nolan then Nolan interviews Nolan

JasonEvans
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Duke Blue Planet put up this video of the Top 5 plays from the game last night (it is mostly a Mason and Nolan highlight reel). After the top 5 are done, they go to Kyrie in the locker room interviewing Nolan. When Kyrie goes blank and cannot think of any more questions, Nolan takes over and it is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXovaiz33Q

--Jason "if Nolan was not a senior, I bet Kyrie would think about coming back just so they could hang together for another year-- they seem really close" Evans

DUKIECB
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Wow, I'm going to miss Nolan so much when he is gone. I love guys that do not take themselves too seriously. He must be a riot to be around on a daily basis!

mehmattski
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
You can see me in the background at :18 turning to my friend and yelling "Breakout Game!"

...because every game he tells me "This game will be R. Kelly's Breakout Game™!"

Also, it's too bad "The Facilitator" doesn't fit into the normal cheer cadence.

elvis14
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
After 4 years, I still find myself liking Nolan more and more. Obviously he's playing great but what gets me is the glimpses like this that we get to see of him off the court. He's really a great kid and a great representative of Duke basketball.

ajgoodfella7
01-06-2011, 10:56 PM
After 4 years, I still find myself liking Nolan more and more. Obviously he's playing great but what gets me is the glimpses like this that we get to see of him off the court. He's really a great kid and a great representative of Duke basketball.

So just to ask a hypothetical question, lets say Duke finds a way to raise another banner this year and Kyle and Nolan both keep up their current play and become first team AA's, will we see 2 more jerseys hanging in Cameron?

ice-9
01-07-2011, 04:40 AM

I've always liked Nolan -- he was already one of my fav players as a freshman and sophomore. I became a fan when he was a junior. And now...wow, isn't Nolan the perfect Duke representative? The amount of growth he has shown over the four years, from an inconsistent, wild guard to the dominant, complete player he is today, all the while being a leader, bringing positivity and humor to those around him, helping us recruit...this guy is my favorite Duke player since Battier and JWill. If he wins another national championship for us this year I'm definitely buying his jersey!

ElSid
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
So just to ask a hypothetical question, lets say Duke finds a way to raise another banner this year and Kyle and Nolan both keep up their current play and become first team AA's, will we see 2 more jerseys hanging in Cameron?

I think if Nolan wins POY award he will get his jersey up there. Otherwise, I think it's unlikely. But it would certainly be strange/awkward if the season continues to play out as it has so far...with Kyle being solid but not shining, and Nolan just blowing the cover off the ball...and then having Kyle's jersey retired and not Nolan's. Gotta look at the whole body of work, I guess. Thankfully, the season is still relatively young yet. Look for Kyle to improve and Nolan to "regress to the mean" a little? Hoping yes on the former and no on the latter.

Either way, wish the best for Nolan. Definitely has elevated the swag factor. He almost singlehandedly makes Twitter fun/relevant for me...otherwise, why use the twitter.

loran16
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

If Nolan & Kyle both become 1st team AAs, they'll be retired.

Duke Requirements for retiring:
1. Graduation.
2. National Honors (1st Team AA, NPOY, NDPOY)

The National Title is just a bonus....

Kedsy
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM

1. Graduation.

I know people say this, but is it really true? For example, Bobby Hurley didn't win any national honors, but his jersey was retired, so your #2 can't really be a "requirement," can it?

And Jim Spanarkel was a UPI first team All America in 1979, but his jersey is not in the rafters.

So I guess it's really more of a guideline than a rule?

loran16
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I know people say this, but is it really true? For example, Bobby Hurley didn't win any national honors, but his jersey was retired, so your #2 can't really be a "requirement," can it?

And Jim Spanarkel was a UPI first team All America in 1979, but his jersey is not in the rafters.

Hurley was first team All-American in 1993.

Spanarkel is pre-K (really), and thus different situations.

94duke
01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Hurley also set and still holds the national record for career assists.

swood1000
01-07-2011, 01:49 PM
In the video Nolan said "I just called for angle and the lane opened up..." Can anybody shed any light on what he meant by "called for angle"? Curry seemed to be anticipating a pass.

Kedsy
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM

You're right, I forgot about 1993. I don't know why being "pre-K" would change the rule, if it really was a rule. I also think the rule you articulate seems somewhat arbitrary. Trajan Langdon was a 2nd team All American and three-time 1st team All ACC. But getting to 1st team All America one time (with only one 1st team All ACC to his credit) would guarantee Nolan a spot in the rafters? It doesn't sound right to me.

Not saying anything about Nolan's chances; just that I think the rules (if there really are any) must be more flexible than you have stated.

Hurley also set and still holds the national record for career assists.

I know that. I wasn't arguing that his number shouldn't have been retired. I was saying the so-called "rules" aren't hard and fast.

Wander
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM

1. Graduation.

Well, Carrawell would be an exception to this, right?

ajgoodfella7
01-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Chris Carrawell came to mind when I posed the question. He graduated and was a first team AA in 2000, which means that even fulfilling those 2 prerequisites does not guarantee a jersey retirement. Although, I think that Nolan and Kyle have had more decorated careers, hence a better chance.

gam7
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM

1. Graduation.

I agree with Kedsy that these seem to be guidelines rather than formal rules. So, I would guess that it is theoretically possible for someone's jersey to be retired, even if he is not a first team All American. However, in practice, it does seem unlikely that someone who is not considered one of the top 5 players in the country during at least one year of his career would be worthy of jersey retirement consideration.

Also, I think that it is almost necessary to meet the two criteria listed above, but even if those criteria are satisfied, it is not necessarily sufficient for jersey retirement. As great as Nolan has been over the last two years (and as great of a person as he seems to be), I think he may end up being a good example of someone who will meet the criteria, but will not have his jersey retired. He's definitely grown into a great player, but I don't think that the body of his work will be good enough for jersey retirement. Just look at the first half of his career.

Kedsy
01-07-2011, 03:54 PM

OK, now I had to go and look it up for real.

Chris Carawell was a 2nd team AP All-American (http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_america.html), but according to Duke's website (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=246902) he was a "consensus" 1st team.

Mike Gminski was also 2nd team AP but "consensus" 1st team according to Duke.

Another Duke player who was a "consensus" first team All American whose jersey has not been retired is Bob Verga, although he was only 2nd team AP, as well.

Elton Brand was 1st team AA, but obviously never graduated.

Interestingly, Jeff Mullins was never a 1st team All American, only 2nd team according to both AP and Duke, yet his jersey was retired. And though he played "pre-K," he was honored during K's tenure.

Other 2nd team All Americans whose jersey was NOT retired include Jon Scheyer, Mike Dunleavy, Trajan Langdon, and Jack Marin.

Ultimately, it seems first team AA honors are neither necessary (Mullins) nor sufficient (Carrawell, Verga). If you draw the line at "pre-K" vs. "K era," then based on history you could argue it now is necessary but still not sufficient (again, Carrawell).

What does this mean for Nolan Smith? I'd guess he has an uphill battle. He may need national player of the year as opposed to "just" 1st team AA. But I suppose you never know. I'll be rooting for him whether his jersey is ultimately retired or not.

loran16
01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
OK, now I had to go and look it up for real.

Chris Carawell was a 2nd team AP All-American (http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_america.html), but according to Duke's website (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=246902) he was a "consensus" 1st team.

Mike Gminski was also 2nd team AP but "consensus" 1st team according to Duke.

Another Duke player who was a "consensus" first team All American whose jersey has not been retired is Bob Verga, although he was only 2nd team AP, as well.

Elton Brand was 1st team AA, but obviously never graduated.

Interestingly, Jeff Mullins was never a 1st team All American, only 2nd team according to both AP and Duke, yet his jersey was retired. And though he played "pre-K," he was honored during K's tenure.

Other 2nd team All Americans whose jersey was NOT retired include Jon Scheyer, Mike Dunleavy, Trajan Langdon, and Jack Marin.

Ultimately, it seems first team AA honors are neither necessary (Mullins) nor sufficient (Carrawell, Verga). If you draw the line at "pre-K" vs. "K era," then based on history you could argue it now is necessary but still not sufficient (again, Carrawell).

What does this mean for Nolan Smith? I'd guess he has an uphill battle. He may need national player of the year as opposed to "just" 1st team AA. But I suppose you never know. I'll be rooting for him whether his jersey is ultimately retired or not.

The reason I drew the line at the K-era is because I thought that the rule quite possibly wasn't in place before hand.

As it is, I think that fulfilling the requirements, would get either or both of Nolan or Kyle's Jerseys retired. They HAVE won a national title after all, regardless of what happens this year.

Duvall
01-07-2011, 06:17 PM
The reason I drew the line at the K-era is because I thought that the rule quite possibly wasn't in place before hand.

Aside from Groat and Gminski, there weren't any jersey retirements before Krzyzewski. The Heyman and Mullins jerseys were retired later.

Kdogg
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM

1. Graduation.

Using that criteria, Wojo's jersey should be hanging in the rafters (1998 - NDPOY).

gam7
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Using that criteria, Wojo's jersey should be hanging in the rafters (1998 - NDPOY).

I think loran was saying that those requirements would be necessary but not sufficient. But Kedsy convincingly wrote that those criteria were neither necessary nor sufficient.

_TheFakeJWill_
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I love Nolan as much and the next Duke fan but i don't ever see his jersey in the rafters. Even if he averaged 26pt, NPOY and a Championship. But perhaps im a minority here.

Even if he doesnt get it retired I still love wathing him in a Duke uniform and such a classy classy guy!

roywhite
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I love Nolan as much and the next Duke fan but i don't ever see his jersey in the rafters. Even if he averaged 26pt, NPOY and a Championship. But perhaps im a minority here.

Even if he doesnt get it retired I still love wathing him in a Duke uniform and such a classy classy guy!

Agree on both counts. One measure is that Nolan just went past 1400 points for his career, while his classmate Kyle Singler just passed 2000.

Nolan is having a great season, and is really a funny, sharp guy.

airowe
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
In the video Nolan said "I just called for angle and the lane opened up..." Can anybody shed any light on what he meant by "called for angle"? Curry seemed to be anticipating a pass.

Angle is a play Duke runs. I couldn't begin to tell you the intricacies of it, but they run it quite a bit.

There has obviously been more of a reliance on the halfcourt set since Kyrie went out. Nolan flourishes in the halfcourt as was evidenced last year and this since the Butler game.

DukeDevilDeb
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Chris Carrawell is a nice guy who happened to play his senior year at Duke in a really down year for the ACC. Although he won ACC player of the year, there are many people who felt that was not a good thing for him. Chris had extremely high expectations of going into the NBA at a top level because of the POY award, and it simply didn't happen. Instead of blowing away the NBA with his prowess, Chris played one year in the D-League, then went to Australia (I think) until he came back to the Durham area.

Chris did not graduate in his 4 years at Duke. He left for the NBA needing 3 or 4 courses to finish. To his credit, Chris did come back and finish his degree in Sociology. I had the pleasure of teaching Chris in a couple of classes as well as doing an independent study with him. He is truly one of the nicest people in the basketball world. But there was never really any discussion about retiring his jersey.

gep
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Duke Blue Planet put up this video of the Top 5 plays from the game last night (it is mostly a Mason and Nolan highlight reel). After the top 5 are done, they go to Kyrie in the locker room interviewing Nolan. When Kyrie goes blank and cannot think of any more questions, Nolan takes over and it is pretty funny.

--Jason "if Nolan was not a senior, I bet Kyrie would think about coming back just so they could hang together for another year-- they seem really close" Evans

I thought Nolan interviewing himself was "priceless"... especially when changing seats and his voice. :cool:

loran16
01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Agree on both counts. One measure is that Nolan just went past 1400 points for his career, while his classmate Kyle Singler just passed 2000.

Nolan is having a great season, and is really a funny, sharp guy.

Except the total points thing is misleading. Nolan came into his own Junior year. Why should we penalize him for that, if he truly was great during those two years?

Wander
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM

If you are a national player of the year, win a national championship, and graduate, then you get your jersey retired. Period. At any school.

NashvilleDevil
01-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I thought Nolan interviewing himself was "priceless"... especially when changing seats and his voice. :cool:

Nolan sounds a little like this (45 seconds in) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ) when he's interviewing himself.

Surfsideron
01-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I believe that next year, Duke will raise Scheyer's, Smith's and Singler's jerseys. I'd almost bet on it. It would be a classy thing to do. In my mind all 3 deserve to be up there.

Devilsfan
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
That would be terrific. Scheyer deserves more love. If I didn't know better I would think someone like an Adolf Rupp was leading the group of old timers keeping his jersey from hanging from the rafters.

Poincaré
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
If Nolan is NPOY, his jersey will get retired. Maybe not immediately, but at some point in the future. Why? Because it would mean that he beat out Kyle for NPOY. Kyle and Nolan will have to split some of the NPOY vote, so for one of them to win would mean a dominant season on the part of the winner.

DevilHorns
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM

If you are a national player of the year, win a national championship, and graduate, then you get your jersey retired. Period. At any school.

I'm in the camp that you have to retire him if he wins NPOY this year. He has a title to his name from last year, and is really blossoming this year as a leader. Sure his first 2 years are not as impressive as last year and this current year, but should they really weigh that much when considering his overall contribution to this program?

Let's look at this stat-line for a player that does have his banner hanging at Duke:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2000-01 39 34.9 19.9 47.1 41.9 79.6 1.8 7.3 2.3 2.1
1999-00 34 35.5 17.4 49.6 44.4 81.7 2.1 5.6 2.1 2.0
1998-99 37 23.8 9.1 54.5 41.5 72.4 1.5 4.9 1.2 1.8
1997-98 36 24.6 7.6 53.9 16.7 73.1 1.1 6.4 1.5 1.4

This is Shane Battier. Shane's production increased drastically in his jr and sr years, in similar fashion to Nolan. Though to be fair, Shane also has Defensive Player of the Year x3 and Academic All-America honors x 2 to his name as well.

Nolan's stat-line so far:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2010-11 14 31.0 19.6 53.4 40.7 77.4 5.5 4.8 0.1 1.0
2009-10 38 35.5 17.3 44.1 39.2 76.7 3.0 2.8 0.2 1.1
2008-09 34 21.5 8.3 42.6 34.6 84.9 1.7 2.1 0.1 0.9
2007-08 34 14.7 5.9 46.7 38.6 76.9 1.3 1.5 0.1 0.5

My argument is that if a player has a pretty lopsided career, he still should make it if his impact has helped his team reach a championship and if he has individually won NPOY.

Kedsy
01-08-2011, 11:14 PM
This is Shane Battier. Shane's production increased drastically in his jr and sr years, in similar fashion to Nolan. Though to be fair, Shane also has Defensive Player of the Year x3 and Academic All-America honors x 2 to his name as well.

My argument is that if a player has a pretty lopsided career, he still should make it if his impact has helped his team reach a championship and if he has individually won NPOY.

I don't think it's so cut and dried. Shane Battier was a defensive star at Duke even during his freshman year. His offensive production was down his first two years, but that doesn't necessarily jibe with Nolan's production, which was really down across the board his first two years. Shane started 47 games his first two years and won national defensive POY. Nolan started 22 games his first two years and won no honors that I know of. To me, it's apples and oranges.

DevilHorns
01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't think it's so cut and dried. Shane Battier was a defensive star at Duke even during his freshman year. His offensive production was down his first two years, but that doesn't necessarily jibe with Nolan's production, which was really down across the board his first two years. Shane started 47 games his first two years and won national defensive POY. Nolan started 22 games his first two years and won no honors that I know of. To me, it's apples and oranges.

I should have been more clear... I realize that Shane was one of the best defenders to every play at the collegiate level. He is a 3x Defensive Player of the Year, a feat I believe only accomplished 3 times since the award was founded. I was speaking more to Shane's offensive stats... they have a clear lopsided trend weighted to his jr and sr years in a similar fashion to Nolan's. That does not mean to discredit Shane's overall performance during his fr and soph years. He was not similar in experiencing the struggles that Nolan had in his early years. However, he also wasn't putting up stellar numbers in those two years either. It was largely his final 2 years, when he became the soul of the team that won a championship and a NPOY, that made his jersey worthy for the Cameron rafters. In other words, I don't think a player needs to have a consistent level of elite production throughout his 4 years at Duke to be worthy of a jersey retirement. If a player struggled his first 2 years, but then blossomed into a leader of a championship team as well as a NPOY, I think there's no question he should be up there. In that case he has reached both the pinnacle of team accomplishment (a championship) and individual accomplishment (NPOY). Should consistency of play over 4 individual years be weighted so high as to make one that has accomplished these feats unworthy of jersey retirement?