PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 54 Kentucky 48

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
We are ranked 3rd (with a few #1 votes!), Kentucky is ranked 10th. The game is on ESPNU at 7:00. I'm hoping to see our pressure D in full effect along with solid shooting. We haven't put both together too often this year, but we've done well enough to still be undefeated. Anyone is welcome to join us in Section 21 (http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat) for chat. We usually have a few people in there for the women's games. GO DUKE!!!

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Here are some thoughts from Coach P.

"We need to get back to some basics," McCallie said. "Defending and rebounding have both been lacking. When I say defending, I don't mean what they [Duke's foes] score. I mean taking out the go-to players. "We have not been successful in taking out go-to players, and we have been outrebounded the last two games. So whatever you want to call us, that does not make me happy."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/154113879

du_bb1
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
This may be the ugliest basketball I have ever seen..amazingly-we are up by three!

Tappan Zee Devil
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
How is it possible that this team is so poor at shooting? The fact that they are in the game (and led for much of it) is a statement of how well they do other things - but you have to be able to score.
It is not just just this game - it has been all season. Surely P must be aware of it. Has she said anything or been asked about it? I don't get the local Durham news so I don't know

Pulling my hair (such as is left) out.
Jim

jtelander
01-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Very difficult to watch

Duvall
01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, that was peculiar.

It may have been hard to watch, but the winning basket was certainly a memorable one.

Tappan Zee Devil
Good Lord - that was ugly

but hey - it is a win against a top 10 team

fisheyes
Ugly, but a win is a win!

Go Duke Women!

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Wonderful, another last minute win by still-undefeated Duke; however, a really bizarre conclusion, with (if I remember properly) Duke's last goal (as contrasted to free throw points) scored by UK's Dunlap on a tipped pass -- really wild. Added to this was an under one-minute bench tactical against Kentucky. It was quite a game, with a truly unusual finish that provided our slim victory margin (believe me, this was a LOT closer contest than the six point scoring differential indicates).

dukelifer
01-04-2011, 09:27 PM

but hey - it is a win against a top 10 team

Duke shot less that 27% for the game- less that 60% from the line and won by 6. This team can play D and win ugly.

Faustus
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
OK, so how many of you, like me, at iniitial glance thought this was a thread about barbeque? (maybe even "western" style?). No ESPNU here at Chez Faustus, but even following the score on other ESPN crawls I could guess it wasn't a very pretty game. Still undefeated, though (and still a win over UK bball).

Johnboy
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Lord - that was ugly
win against a top 10 team
Lord - that was ugly

Inspired!

CameronBlue
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
OK, so how many of you, like me, at iniitial glance thought this was a thread about barbeque? (maybe even "western" style?). No ESPNU here at Chez Faustus, but even following the score on other ESPN crawls I could guess it wasn't a very pretty game. Still undefeated, though (and still a win over UK bball).

Don't know about BBQ but this game was like watching sausage being made. Better to have tuned in after the final buzzer and enjoyed the end result rather than see what went into the victory. Cause it twerent pretty.

delfrio
01-04-2011, 11:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing (except I thought it was a women's-only BBQ thread)

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I can boil all of my indepth analysis into one four letter word.

WHEW.

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I will also add this. I'm happy that we've done so well, that we are undefeated, and that we've beaten the number of ranked teams that we have. I'm also very nervous about the fact that all of these wins against high caliber opponents have come in Cameron. The close road victories that we've had weren't against the likes of a team we'll see past the 3rd round in the NCAA's. We have a team that can get us to the Elite 8 again, but something needs to change if we hope to advance to the real dance.

Faustus
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM

P.S.
At the time of writing the above, the thread title then simply read "(WBB) Duke vs. Kentucky" to explain to any late arrivers...

burnspbesq
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Another gruesome, almost unwatchable win. What was the shooting drought at the beginning of the second half, 0-18?

And two pieces of luck at the same time on the game-winning basket. Not only was it deflected into the basket, if it hadn't been deflected it was going to be intercepted. Check out the tape, a Kentucky guard dropped down and was in perfect position to pick off any pass that went to Vernerey.

I think we'll be OK against Murlund, but FSU on the road worries me.

tieguy
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I've been running a few numbers tonight to get a sense of how we stack up against the rest of the top five.

(For a good introduction to tempo-free statistics, check out the Big Ten Wonk: http://bigtenwonk.blogspot.com/2005/11/this-is-tfs-tempo-free-stats.html)

These numbers are all calculated by hand and may have some errors. They also aren't corrected for strength of schedule, so take with some grain of salt, though all these teams have played fairly difficult schedules.

Offensive points per possession (i.e., how many points do we score every time we get the ball?) (bigger numbers better)
Duke: 0.974
UConn: 1.171
Baylor: 1.181
Stanford: 1.118
Tennessee: 1.076

Defensive ppp: (i.e., how many points do we allow the opponent to score every time they get the ball?) (smaller numbers better)
Duke: 0.747
UConn: 0.694
Baylor: 0.686
Stanford: 0.845
Tennessee: 0.786

Differential: (if we have one possession, and they have one possession, on average how much do we outscore them by?) (bigger is better)
Duke: +.227
UConn: +.477
Baylor: +.495
Stanford: +.273
Tennessee: +.290

What do I take away from this?

First, that while our defense is very good, it isn't overwhelmingly so- it is only middle of the pack amongst the top five teams. (I really expected us to be #1 here, and by a large margin.)

Second, our offense really is as mediocre as it seems- lagging the top teams by 10-20%, which (if the distribution is anything like the NBA and men's NCAA) makes us a literally average offensive team, possibly slightly below average.

Third, UConn and Baylor really are in a class by themselves statistically. Despite that, those teams are beatable- Stanford, at least on paper, isn't *that* much better than we are (weaker D, better O), and yet they beat UConn.

In other words... not much new, just now with numbers to back up what we mostly already suspected. :)

CameronBornAndBred
01-05-2011, 12:25 AM
In other words... not much new, just now with numbers to back up what we mostly already suspected. :)
Too late at night for me to do the number crunching...but thanks very much for putting in the time and effort. My guess is that there aren't many surprises buried in there, just like you say. What we see is what we get. But somehow....the women keep winning. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but if it never does..works for me!

stillcrazie
01-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Although our shooting was bad, for me, the pain was mitigated by our amazing defense, forcing turnovers, and overall grit and effort. The two most difficult things to watch were the string of travels in the first half (two by Haley Peters, at least one by Krystal) and then the inability of our bigs to buy a bucket within one foot of the basket. AV does so many great things on the court, altering shots, forcing turnovers, but she and Krystal had a very hard time making easy buckets, especially when we seemed to have the height advantage.

There were constant complaints from both sides about the refs. KY's head coach nearly embarrassed himself as much as Xavier's did. Can anyone say something about the calls? I am sure KY is claiming that the refs handed the game to us at the end, but I could not see well enough to verify one way or the other.

Exciting game, good win, can't wait for Thursday!

DU82
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
There were constant complaints from both sides about the refs. KY's head coach nearly embarrassed himself as much as Xavier's did. Can anyone say something about the calls? I am sure KY is claiming that the refs handed the game to us at the end, but I could not see well enough to verify one way or the other.

Exciting game, good win, can't wait for Thursday!

I made the comment in the chat that these refs made Sally Bell look good.

I, of course, complained about the supposed missed fouls on Ky., but also noticed some against us (and I'm not talking about the last couple of plays.). In the middle of the second half, they started calling a lot, then went back to calling very little. I thought they missed a lot of pushes and moving screens. All of this contributed to the poor shooting on both sides, although clearly we have a problem on offense with shot selection, which adds to the shooting woes.

Indoor66
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I kept screaming: Use The Backboard! I was so sick watching us throw the ball over the goal.

stillcrazie
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I kept screaming: Use The Backboard! I was so sick watching us throw the ball over the goal.

Okay, thanks - I thought that was the voice inside my head.

B-well
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Can you 'ugly' another team into submission?

If so, Kentucky, Xavier and Texas A&M were all uglied into submission.

jimsumner
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I made the comment in the chat that these refs made Sally Bell look good.

I, of course, complained about the supposed missed fouls on Ky., but also noticed some against us (and I'm not talking about the last couple of plays.). In the middle of the second half, they started calling a lot, then went back to calling very little. I thought they missed a lot of pushes and moving screens. All of this contributed to the poor shooting on both sides, although clearly we have a problem on offense with shot selection, which adds to the shooting woes.

The officiating was a bit funky. Players at this level can and will adjust to the officiating if it is consistent. But one minute you could committ assault and battery and get away with it and a minute later get a foul for looking at someone the wrong way. It was just all over the place.

burnspbesq
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Luis, the points per possession stats are interesting, but I think if you normalize them (i.e., multiply points per possession by possessions per 40 minutes) they will tell a slightly different story. Teams that get a lot of offensive rebounds increase their number of possessions and reduce the other team's number of possessions. Even if a team is as incompetent around the rim as Duke was last night, the rebounding edge changes the dynamic of the game in a number of ways, some of which can be quantified and some of which can't.

burnspbesq
01-05-2011, 05:50 PM

This team's motto should be "We Thrive on Chaos."

devildeac
01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
The officiating was a bit funky. Players at this level can and will adjust to the officiating if it is consistent. But one minute you could committ assault and battery and get away with it and a minute later get a foul for looking at someone the wrong way. It was just all over the place.

Ruh-roh. Hope the Playcaller doesn't read this. I got the impression s/he did not like the words "consistent" and "officiating" in the same sentence:rolleyes:.

devildeac
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM

It may not be, but some moron used it in a review of F$U whilst trying to convince the readers here that they would be the 2nd best team in the ACC this year:o.

"Conclusion: These guys will ugly their way to a fair # of wins this year with what looks like a pretty rugged D. Currently they are Pomeroy #33 which is 4th in the ACC and not far behind the Terps and unc. They are Sagarin #43 which is also 4th behind BC and unc. Both those #s are fairly consistent over the last few weeks also and their performance in Hawaii makes me just a bit worried about them this year."