PDA

View Full Version : A Terp visitor at Cameron

terps84
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday. I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans. Go Terps

pjhw2021
01-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday. I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans. Go Terps

I'm a Maryland fan as well and am hoping this doesn't turn into a beatdown. Enjoy the game!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope you enjoy the venue in all its glory. The game, not so much.

We are always nice to our visitors, and have been since Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter. You can look that one up by doing a search here on the site or by doing a more extensive Google search. But I'll tell you this: Not one opposing player's parent has ever been hit with a water bottle thrown by a Duke student. And Coach K doesn't let the students chant obscenities or vulgarities at the opposing players or their relatives, unlike as has happened at some other schools and has been tolerated by their coaches and athletic directors (or former athletic directors who said "what can we do other than tell them to stop?".) The Cameron Crazies are loud, creative and incessant, but no player, coach or visiting fan should ever feel threatened physically by a Cameron Crazie. Mentally intimidated, yeah, hopefully!

Bluedog
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM

You'll certainly enjoy the atmosphere. Unfortunately, Duke students will still be on break for the Maryland game, just FYI. So it won't be a full blown Cameron experience...but still nothing like it!

devildeac
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Wear your protective head gear and vest. Oh, wait a minute, wrong venue:rolleyes:;).
Seriously, enjoy your visit and "drive (fly) home safely.":D

Verga3
01-03-2011, 10:59 PM

All the very best to you on "Venues." What an incredible idea for your book! Thanks for the CIS inclusion. I can't wait to get it!

We have ALWAYS been "nice" to the vistors in CIS, especially if they might have any history with one of our all-time favorite Duke grads, Lefty Driesell. The inventive student comments and the skull caps were, as Lefty knew, just your usual family shenanigans.

If you can believe it, and as competitive personalities as Gary Williams and Coach K are, they have a great personal friendship and a healthy professional respect for each other. How did we both come we have such a wonderful competitive animosity. We love AND hate you guys here. Through the years we have certainly pushed each other to many heights. Cheers!

Verga3
01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
You'll certainly enjoy the atmosphere. Unfortunately, Duke students will still be on break for the Maryland game, just FYI. So it won't be a full blown Cameron experience...but still nothing like it!

The game is on Sunday and classes start on Wednesday. Most students will arrive over that weekend, so I'm guessing at least a 90% Cameron experience..trumps 100% at any other venue. GO DUKE!!!

Bluedog
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
The game is on Sunday and classes start on Wednesday. Most students will arrive over that weekend, so I'm guessing at least a 90% Cameron experience..trumps 100% at any other venue. GO DUKE!!!

True, some people come back early so there should be students to fill the section. I believe the dorms open on Saturday. I personally would strategically choose a flight home to get back in time for the game if I was in that situation, but some people don't plan well enough. ;)

Lord Ash
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Without the students it isn't really Cameron, so I hope you get some students back.

Devilsfan
01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Dear Terp fan, guess what venue's fans chant obsenities at opposing players during games, throw water bottles at opposing player's Moms and riot, turning cars over and start fires after regular season wins? I don't know either but it's not Dukies. You can feel safe and welcome here.

DukeDevilDeb
01-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Coming out of the Miami game last night and walking to my car, I saw a male Miami fan (dressed in shorts and a t-shirt... brrrr!), his wife, and his child who appeared to be less than 6 weeks old. I overheard them trying to decide whether to turn left or right. I politely asked where they were going and, when they said the Washington Duke, I told them they needed to turn left. Then I said, Please remember that a Duke fan was kind to you! :)

They both turned and said that they had been both amazed and pleased at how well the Duke fans all around them had treated them. They said they go to almost all the Miami away games, and last night received the best treatment EVER from opposing fans!

So I'm certain we will treat you and any other Maryland fans with respect and generosity.

Oh, by the way, the Miami couple said they had been verbally beaten and bruised at the Comcast Center... anyone know where that is?;)

OldPhiKap
01-03-2011, 11:57 PM

terps, I was a student in '86 (IIRC) and present when Len Bias scored 40+ against the best defense in the nationat Cameron -- and got a standing "O" when he finally fouled out.

I talked to Lefty on more than one occasion at Cameron -- always the gracious Duke grad.

I hope you enjoy your trip. And I hope you will excuse me if I hope that it is despite of a loss at the hands of the Devils. But Cameron is unique -- everyone should get a chance to see a game there.

Good luck with the book, and of course good luck whenever the Terps play the heels.

-- OPK

Hurley2Hill
01-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Here's to your visit and endeavor. I do hope you get a larger experience than I did at the Miami game. No cheerleaders or Blue Devil was kinda weaksauce, though I understand the reasoning and still had a blast.

dukebsbll14
01-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Without the students it isn't really Cameron, so I hope you get some students back.

Black tenting also starts on the 8th. So we'll have to have 10 people there by 2:30 am Sunday morning (Saturday night) if my interpretation of the rules are correct. And dorms open up on the 8th. We might not have a full section of Crazies there, but the really hardcore ones will be back. I think we'll actually draw a decent sized crowd.

Good luck on the book! Hope we give ya a great experience to draw from!

Reilly
01-04-2011, 07:10 AM
What is the undergraduate winter forum (Jan 9-11)?

http://registrar.duke.edu/registrar/studentpages/student/acacad2011.html

CPDUKEGUY24
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Some crazies ought to make a "Venues" sign to give this guy a cool photo op. :cool: just a thought

MCFinARL
01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
What is the undergraduate winter forum (Jan 9-11)?

http://registrar.duke.edu/registrar/studentpages/student/acacad2011.html
http://undergraduatedean.duke.edu/winterforum/

This isn't a school-wide event but one that student apply to participate in, so it might not significantly influence the number of students at the game.

nocilla
01-04-2011, 08:32 AM
On a related note, I will be at the game with an NCSU fan. It will be my first ACC game in Cameron and his first ever game there. It's an odd story how he got the tickets but he is very excited about the opportunity to experience Cameron. He plans to wear red but said he will make sure it is says NCSU in big letters to not be mistaken for Maryland. My wife (who is not as big of a basketball fan as me) did not understand why an NCSU fan would want to go to Cameron for a Duke/Maryland game but I explained to her that most any fan would love to experience Cameron at least once. He pointed out that he could easily get tickets for Duke @ State but this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and he wasn't going to pass it up.

Reilly
01-04-2011, 08:40 AM
http://undergraduatedean.duke.edu/winterforum/

This isn't a school-wide event but one that student apply to participate in, so it might not significantly influence the number of students at the game.

Thanks for the information. From the write-up: "The Winter Forum is a free two-and-a-half-day conference for undergraduates that is held annually prior to the start of spring semester. Each forum focuses on a single global issue and is led by a different university institute or school each year. Students, led by Duke faculty members and experts, evaluate a global issue from perspectives of multiple disciplines and cultural perspectives as well as engage in collaborative work."

.... and to think, back in the day, we'd come back from break and our collaborative work involved drinking beer and going to the traditional Wed night home game before Thursday classes ....

KenTankerous
01-04-2011, 10:31 AM
As a Kentucky fan that took his ladylove Duke fan to a game at Cameron, I can attest to the truth of all that has been said here. Duke fans in Cameron, around campus and around Durham are gracious, helpful and friendly.

Cameron Indoor is a very special place. It is up there with Yankee Stadium, Lambeau Field, and Churchill Downs as a must-see venue for any sports fan.

Stay at the Washington Duke if at all possible. It is gorgious! (And we bumped into Jon Scheyer and his family there!)

Spend as much time as possible strolling the campus. Visit the University Store in The Bryan Center if you are at all inclined to buy anything Duke.

I hear they have good barbecue in Durham but I'm a vegetarian so really can't say.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Very enjoyable thread. It takes something like this to remind us how fortunate we've been to have rarely missed a game in Cameron in 34 years.
Love, Ima

PumpkinFunk
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
There will be more students than you think at the game. Everyone at the Winter Forum is guaranteed to get in and will be strongly encouraged to go. Almost every sorority member will be back, as most sororities start their rush preparations on Sunday, and I imagine that a good number will show. A lot of tenters will be back for this game. Don't underestimate the student turnout - despite not being our rivals, Maryland is a good game that people want to come to, if for nothing else than to cheer "Sweat, Gary, sweat" a lot. Even without Grieivis, it's an ACC game 3 days before classes start. Undergrads will show. The grad students will be in full force.

DevilWearsPrada
01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been to venues at other ACC schools. Very very nice at UVA, and loved the new arena! Been to Miami, and the Miami fans were nice. Love the weather in Jan or Feb, vs cold weather here.
Always had good experiences over at Wake or NcState. Southerners are kind and helpful, generally speaking.

Sometimes at UNC, you have a few obnoxious fans..... and I experienced that (especially when Duke wins over there). But never worried about safety issues! I would think people would have better sense.......... It is a GAME, not the end of the world or a tragedy.

I have been to VaTech a few times. No safety issues there either! I was told to remove my car flags or magnets from my car...... because some stupid Hokie Pokie might rip them off my car.... and I did!!! No issues there!!!

However, there's a venue, just beyone the DC line..... and needless to say...... I do not want to return!!!! Rude and Crude! I remember the Chants about JJ Redick, and references to his Family members. It was horrible and lewd. And JJ signs, that were very inappropriate, and not for a collegiate game, where families and children are present.

And the ACC 2005 tournament in DC.... horrible horrible venue!!! The whole atmosphere there was uncomfortable. BUT DUKE WON!!!!

ACC tournaments should always be played in Greensboro... period!!!!

I hope the VENUE book goes well. I am sure you will be treated with respect and feel very safe on the Duke campus. Visit the Duke Chapel!!! And walk over to the Bryan Center, and go to the University Store!

And as always,

GO DUKE!!!

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM

We are always nice to our visitors, and have been since Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter. You can look that one up by doing a search here on the site or by doing a more extensive Google search. But I'll tell you this: Not one opposing player's parent has ever been hit with a water bottle thrown by a Duke student. And Coach K doesn't let the students chant obscenities or vulgarities at the opposing players or their relatives, unlike as has happened at some other schools and has been tolerated by their coaches and athletic directors (or former athletic directors who said "what can we do other than tell them to stop?".) The Cameron Crazies are loud, creative and incessant, but no player, coach or visiting fan should ever feel threatened physically by a Cameron Crazie. Mentally intimidated, yeah, hopefully!

I fully agree with Ozzie. I live in the DC area, and have attended many games in College Park, as well as in Durham, during the last 35 years.

There is a substantial difference between fan intensity and creativity, when contrasted to felonious actions -- not to mention crude, uncivil, and boorish behavior. Duke fans can certainly be passionate, infuriating, and possibly overly-proud; however, their actions never endanger opponents and their supports nor are they truly criminal. In Cameron, you will NEVER observe a legion of highly obscene tee-shirts, or water bottles/batteries/coins being thrown at Duke fans/parents/alumni, or post-game rioting, or physical intimidation and assaults, or spitting on opposing fans.

In addition and critically, were ANY such things to occur, Coach K and Duke administrators would IMMEDIATELY ensure there was no repetition, whereas Coach Williams, Ms. Yow and other senior UMd officials obviously have tacitly encouraged such abhorrent -- and illegal -- behavior, by essentially “turning a blind eye” to them while publically posturing that they are inappropriate.

You will be welcomed at Duke as a member of a worthy ACC university community. It is honestly too bad that Dukies can never feel that way when they visit the College Park campus.

Lord Ash
01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I know it is silly, but I am sure others felt the same way; I was a touch offended by the implication/tone of the original post, ESPECIALLY considering the source:)

I have always been very proud that Cameron is a place that ANYONE who loves basketball can enjoy the experience. As long as you are not an obnoxious jerk, you will enjoy the environment and game as much as anyone, because Duke fans of ALL people APPRECIATE loyalty to a team and enjoyment of the game.

You can bring little kids and grandmas to Cameron, and know they will have an amazing, and appropriate, experience. My entire dislike of the Terps is based on the fact that at their home arena it is EXACTLY the opposite, and I was a touch offended that a Terp would think that other fans behave that way.

DevilWearsPrada
01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I fully agree with Ozzie. In addition and critically, were ANY such things to occur, Coach K and Duke administrators would IMMEDIATELY ensure there was no repetition, whereas Coach Williams, Ms. Yow and other senior UMd officials obviously have tacitly encouraged such abhorrent -- and illegal -- behavior, by essentially “turning a blind eye” to them while publically posturing that they are inappropriate.

You will be welcomed at Duke as a member of a worthy ACC university community. It is honestly too bad that Dukies can never feel that way when they visit the College Park campus.

AMEN!!!!! YOU cant feel safe at College Park!!! And you can't even enjoy the game! It's better, just to watch on TV, rather than try to make the trip to see Duke play. Turning a "Blind Eye" to such behavior is Unacceptable! That would NEVER happen on Duke campus. Or if it did, that person or people would be removed by Security, and probably not allowed back for quit some time.

Which, reminds me....... Which game was it that OLE ROY had the guy removed last season? (Ridiculous)... like Presbyterian or something like that. Then, that Fan, was at the DUKE UNC game (Senior Night, sitting directly across from Ole Roy and the Unc bench). Payback! Good move for the crazies!

fisheyes
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
The history of obnoxious behavior at Maryland began long ago. I went to a very memorable game in 1979 where a Duke student got into the Cole Field House before the game and rigged several Go Duke banners in the rafters. The banners unfurled during the introductions much to the amazement of the entire crowd. Priceless. However, I left the Field House covered in mustard and other crap for cheering for Duke.

I believe the same guy who hung those banners was the one who strung the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner across Wallace Wade during graduation while Uncle Terry spoke. Also priceless! I forgot the guy's name. Anyone remember?

Go Duke!!!

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I believe the same guy who hung those banners was the one who strung the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner across Wallace Wade during graduation while Uncle Terry spoke. Also priceless! I forgot the guy's name. Anyone remember?

I could easily be wrong -- frequently I am -- but I believe the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner to which you refer was towed by a small, private aircraft over Wallace Wade during a May Commencement Ceremony, not suspended in the stadium.

weezie
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm writing a book called "Venues" and one of the chapters is on Cameron Indoor. I trust you will all be nice to the visitors and let us enjoy one of the iconic venues in all sports. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and great college basketball fans.

It better be a l-o-n-g chapter...I'm just sayin'.

You sound nervous, relax terpsy! We love visitors! They're tasty!:cool:

fisheyes
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I could easily be wrong -- frequently I am -- but I believe the "Go to Hell Carolina" banner to which you refer was towed by a small, private aircraft over Wallace Wade during a May Commencement Ceremony, not suspended in the stadium.

Actually it is a common mistake to think that it was a plane. Even the Alumni magazine got it wrong.

Scroll down to Mark Steinman's letter "Prank Unfurled":

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/091006/depfor.html

Here's the the Archivist's response to the letter: "Tim Pyatt '81, University Archivist, responds: I greatly appreciate your correction (and now have it well documented in the archives) that it was fishing line and not a plane that made the 1979 commencement prank possible. Thanks for setting the record straight!"

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hijack a most worthwhile thread, but since we're talking about hijinks anyway I can finally post a picture I alluded to long ago proving the rumor about Phi Psi brothers and pledges putting Mickey Mouse on the clock tower back in the late 70's.

I submit, for your viewing pleasure (click on the picture to enlarge it)

Orange&BlackSheep
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
"I hear they have good barbecue in Durham but I'm a vegetarian so really can't say."

I am sorry. There is no such thing as a vegetarian Kentucky fan so this must be a goof :)

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Actually it is a common mistake to think that it was a plane. Even the Alumni magazine got it wrong.

http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/050606/depret.html

By golly, you are correct. If you go to the aforecited URL, you can access the photograph -- cropped -- that makes it appear that a small aircraft towed the “Go to Hell Carolina” banner over Commencement in Wallace Wade. Unfortunately, I could not paste that image into this response. I also recall the Duke Magazine’s brief piece indicating airplane towing, which stated: "In 1979, to the amusement of those on stage and the delight of the students, a plane flew over Wallace Wade during the ceremony trailing a banner with the phrase".

Thanks for the accurate update!

DU82
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hijack a most worthwhile thread, but since we're talking about hijinks anyway I can finally post a picture I alluded to long ago proving the rumor about Phi Psi brothers and pledges putting Mickey Mouse on the clock tower back in the late 70's.

I submit, for your viewing pleasure (click on the picture to enlarge it)

Loved that one. For the record, is was in early spring, 1979 (my freshman year.) I was walking towards the Union from House CC, under the clocktower, and wondered why there were so many people looking up.

DU82
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
AMEN!!!!! YOU cant feel safe at College Park!!! And you can't even enjoy the game! It's better, just to watch on TV, rather than try to make the trip to see Duke play. Turning a "Blind Eye" to such behavior is Unacceptable! That would NEVER happen on Duke campus. Or if it did, that person or people would be removed by Security, and probably not allowed back for quit some time.

Which, reminds me....... Which game was it that OLE ROY had the guy removed last season? (Ridiculous)... like Presbyterian or something like that. Then, that Fan, was at the DUKE UNC game (Senior Night, sitting directly across from Ole Roy and the Unc bench). Payback! Good move for the crazies!

Having been to most of the ACC campuses/venues, I consider Duke the "safest" for opposing fans, both with the attitude of spectators, and the actions of the ushers/security. Chapel Hill is close, and ranking them below Duke is probably only due to being a Duke grad. Both schools' event staff (volunteers and paid security) takes the job seriously, and doesn't allow out-of-the-line behavior.

Clemson's never been a problem, either. (I suspect that if I were a Gamecock fan, the reactions might be different.) NC State used to be a problem in Reynolds, with a lot of the problems due to the arena staff. In the RBC center (and Carter-Finley) it's much better, and even though we lost and they rushed the floor, I didn't have a problem there last year.

(An aside about the two NC schools. At State probably around 1990 or so, Valvano's team beat us, and they rushed the court. Students ran over to the Duke section behind the bench, and started threatening us (mainly Coach K's family at the game.) One prominent member of the group asked ushers for help, and the ushers response was "too bad, you're on your own." Last time that person went to a game in Reynolds, thanks to the lack of security. At UNC a couple of years later, in Grant's senior year, they also beat us late, rushed the floor, and one student in particular started running towards the Duke section. An usher cross-checked that student into the bench area (ie, trying to keep him away from taunting the Duke fans). The student, stunned, tried to hide from the usher, and found the biggest, best blocker in the area, which was Calvin Hill, and "hid" behind him. The usher finally grabbed the student and started taking him away. By this time, the UNC crowd noticed the commotion, saw it involved Calvin and started booing him, figuring it was something he did. I think this illustrated the difference in crowd control and protection for visiting fans that the two schools provided.)

I haven't been to UVA or Virginia Tech recently enough to be able to judge, however my understanding from reports is that Blacksburg is no fun, and ranks closer to Maryland than UNC on the scale. FSU, last time I was there, which was when Wojo was playing, didn't care much about the game or their team to be a problem. Wake, I'm surprised with the Baptists' language, but haven't felt unsafe there.

Maryland is the only arena that I did not feel safe enough to wear anything blue or with a Duke logo for a men's game, and I took my Duke alumni sticker off my car. (I did wear a Duke shirt for a women's bball game last time I was there in the Comcast Center.)

jtelander
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Perhaps the OP might consider wearing Duke apparel and sitting in the visitors section at the Duke/MD game in college park on 2/2...and writing up that experience in the book.

ACCBBallFan
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
It better be a l-o-n-g chapter...I'm just sayin'.

You sound nervous, relax terpsy! We love visitors! They're tasty!

[:cool:/]

Well done in food vernacular as well as done well in the posting verbiage.

PADukeMom
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
My niece graduated from Maryland, I don't hold that against her :) She has offered me tickets to the Duke game several times but I would rather watch it from the saftey of my home.
I have attended several games at both Duke Northern campuses & have never encountered a problem.
Attending a game at CSI is on my bucket list along with attending a game at Dodger Stadium & going to a taping of Top Gear.
One quick question: can the new Yankee Stadium be considered iconic?

jammsb
01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I haven't been to a game at Cameron for years. The last tickets I managed to snare were those for Grant Hill's last home game. Unfortunately we lost to the Tar Heels. The things I remember vividly are hundreds of students in Duke gear waiting for the Carolina bus and shouting in complete synchronization "Go to Hell Carolina" as they got off the bus and a group of Duke students dressing and looking like Grant's dad Calvin wearing the turtlenecks he wore to every game.
I have tickets to Sunday night's Maryland game. For an almost seventy year old I couldn't be more excited. A friend of a friend got me the tickets. Is the bookstore in the Bryan Center open on Sunday? If so, I'll get there early and get lots of memorabilia for the grandkids.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
terps, I have not been to the new hall of fame adjacent to Cameron yet but a non-Duke pal of mine was just up there and said it was worth seeing.

Have a great time.

P.S. I can write the chapter on the Dean Dome if you want. I'll send it directly to the publisher to save time . . . .

terps84
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM

For those of you that felt offended by my post about visitor treatment at Cameron. I meant treat our team nice with the score. Maryland is rebuilding and Duke is the best team in the country. I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I will add one additional factoid regarding fan/student conduct in College Park. In approximately 2004, 2005 or 2006, I attended a game at Maryland where comportment was especially atrocious – even by Terrapin standards. J J Redick was the particular object of truly obscene – FAR beyond any reasonable criterion for proactive fan behavior – taunts and signs, and his family (including his much younger sister) was also vulgarly derided.

This conduct was so outrageous that, as an immediate result, UMd officials made some customary and ineffectual remarks about students/alumni/boosters cleaning up their act, however, NO substantive and effective procedures were implemented to limit fan boorishness. Almost immediately, this became a “free speech” issue within the Maryland fan-base, with the spin that obnoxious behavior or obscenely offensive language – no matter how unseemly – could not be banned on First Amendment grounds.

Only at Maryland could a simple, straightforward, common-sense matter by rationalized and justified in this way. If my memory is correct, eventually the State’s Attorney General had to issue some sort of finding that indicated that a prudently worded “code of conduct” would not violate individual free speech rights.

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace

Excellent post, and I thank you.

Indoor66
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
terps, I have not been to the new hall of fame adjacent to Cameron yet but a non-Duke pal of mine was just up there and said it was worth seeing.

Have a great time.

P.S. I can write the chapter on the Dean Dome if you want. I'll send it directly to the publisher to save time . . . .

Can you stay awake long enough to finish writing it?

Lord Ash
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
For those of you that felt offended by my post about visitor treatment at Cameron. I meant treat our team nice with the score. Maryland is rebuilding and Duke is the best team in the country. I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace

Ahh, okay, understood... just an internet misunderstanding... isn't the first time, won't be the last. Hope you have a GREAT time at the game (and that your team does not have a very good time) and that the powers-that-be up at Comcast can help reign in the more unruly fans.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Can you stay awake long enough to finish writing it?

With that ugly neon baby blue? Who could sleep?

There may be wine stains on the manuscript, but I assure all that it is from a fine chardonnay.

I think I'll title the chapter: "Never should have left Carmichael" -- although I'll have to spell-check that name. (Second choice: "Wish we were in Woolen")

zack2014
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
If my memory is correct, eventually the State’s Attorney General had to issue some sort of finding that indicated that a prudently worded “code of conduct” would not violate individual free speech rights.

Unfortunately, the students still think it is their right. Prior to the Duke football game, Dr. Loh sent out an email asking for the students to be respectful of Duke's team and fans. The students response was to disregard the email and for the student paper to run editorials in support of the current fan behavior and against the "infringement of the students' rights" that Dr. Loh was encouraging. Just remember not all of us are that obnoxious.

Indoor66
01-04-2011, 02:59 PM

There may be wine stains on the manuscript, but I assure all that it is from a fine chardonnay.

I think I'll title the chapter: "Never should have left Carmichael" -- although I'll have to spell-check that name. (Second choice: "Wish we were in Woolen")

Yeah, Woolen - Card with a swimming pool.

diveonthefloor
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Great post, Ozzie! I was going to try to post the same thing, but you were much more articulate. I just hope the Maryland fan was able to read between the lines.

Jim3k
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Woolen - Card with a swimming pool.

Hey...Card had its swimming pool, too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Bits or crumbles of cheese can leave a stain, too.:cool:

OldPhiKap
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Bits or crumbles of cheese can leave a stain, too.:cool:

A good friend of mine has a Wake affiliation, and last year he went to see them play at Cameron on a Saturday and then at Chapel Hill on a Wednesday. He said that the Carolina fans cheered when they should or when they were prodded, but that the Duke fans were going bananas the whole game. He thought the two experiences were light years apart.

I told him that any time there are folks wearing our school uniforms out on the court, it's when you "should" cheer for them. They're putting it out for us, we should reciprocate.

(Of course, his experience may be affected by the fact that we pasted Wake, and then Wake pasted Carolina at home).

4decadedukie
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I told him that any time there are folks wearing our school uniforms out on the court, it's when you "should" cheer for them. They're putting it out for us, we should reciprocate.

I do not wish to reinitiate the Crusties or the student football attendance themes now, but I truly long for the day when the foregoing, exceptionally appropriate concepts of reciprocal support and pride are more-widely held by the current generation Duke students for our continuously improving football program!

wilson
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I know our reputation at Comcast/Cole and have witnessed it on many occasions much to my chagrin. I wrote a personal note to the AD and Coach Williams to ask Gary to take the PA next time it happens and threaten to forfeit or clear the arena if it continues. I guarantee that would stop the insanity. It's college basketball not life or death. I would never feel nervous at Duke in red or any other color. I may be from the other side, but I have watched hundreds of ACC games and have never heard anything other than clever sometimes goofy chants from the fans at Cameron. Thanks for listening and perhaps a beer after the game is in order. Peace

Excellent post, and I thank you.
Totally agreed. Thanks from me as well. The whole thing is much more fun when we treat each other like human beings.

pjhw2021
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM
How many of you have been to a non-Duke/UNC game at Comcast recently?

Here is the rundown of a typical non-Duke/UNC game, and especially non-conference games, from a fan who always sits in the student section:
--Pretend to read the newspaper while the opposing team's starting line-up is called, say "sucks" after each player and coach is named
--Jump, clap, and dance to "Zombie Nation." Cheer for each MD player and coach
--Sing "Rock and Roll Pt 2" to the opposing team (band is prohibited from playing it)
--Repeatedly sing and do hand motions to the MD fight song throughout the game
--Make noise when the other team has possession or is taking free throws

I have not heard profanity from more than one individual at a time at a non-Duke/UNC game. I've seen security guards glare at and ask individuals to stop if they are cursing (which happens rarely, and is accompanied by the stench of alcohol). Unless you are offended by the usage of "sucks," which I know some people are and I'm not criticizing them, there isn't anything particularly unique or vile about this behavior. I also think some of you are overestimating the amount of times things get throw at fans. From my understanding this was much more common in the past. I saw someone attempt to throw something last year and immediately get ejected from the game.

MD fans are nastier against Duke-- this is not excusable and I am not justifying it or any individuals who get personal with Duke fans. I agree that Gary should take a more active role. I also realize I can only vouch for the area I sit in, which may be tamer than the other part of the student section. Just wanted to throw in a different perspective, though I know I will never win this argument on this board no matter what I say.

jammsb
01-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Will the bookstore at the Bryan Center be open on Sunday? If so, what are the hours?

jlear
01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Will the bookstore at the Bryan Center be open on Sunday? If so, what are the hours?

Yes, from 1pm to 7pm.

http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/hours/regular.php

Brim
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm a 48 year old grad from Maryland and I look forward to flying in from Seattle to see the game this Sunday.

I hope for this to be a wonderful experience for you (except for the game's outcome, of
course). You're going to get to see a great basketball game between two outstanding programs played in the best basketball stadium on the planet. You'll soon get to see why Cameron Indoor Stadium and the Cameron Crazies are legendary.

Have fun!

4decadedukie
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
How many of you have been to a non-Duke/UNC game at Comcast recently?

Here is the rundown of a typical non-Duke/UNC game, and especially non-conference games, from a fan who always sits in the student section:
--Pretend to read the newspaper while the opposing team's starting line-up is called, say "sucks" after each player and coach is named
--Jump, clap, and dance to "Zombie Nation." Cheer for each MD player and coach
--Sing "Rock and Roll Pt 2" to the opposing team (band is prohibited from playing it)
--Repeatedly sing and do hand motions to the MD fight song throughout the game
--Make noise when the other team has possession or is taking free throws

I have not heard profanity from more than one individual at a time at a non-Duke/UNC game. I've seen security guards glare at and ask individuals to stop if they are cursing (which happens rarely, and is accompanied by the stench of alcohol). Unless you are offended by the usage of "sucks," which I know some people are and I'm not criticizing them, there isn't anything particularly unique or vile about this behavior. I also think some of you are overestimating the amount of times things get throw at fans. From my understanding this was much more common in the past. I saw someone attempt to throw something last year and immediately get ejected from the game.

MD fans are nastier against Duke-- this is not excusable and I am not justifying it or any individuals who get personal with Duke fans. I agree that Gary should take a more active role. I also realize I can only vouch for the area I sit in, which may be tamer than the other part of the student section. Just wanted to throw in a different perspective, though I know I will never win this argument on this board no matter what I say.

Are the brazen, red and black "Duck Fuke" tee-shirts still widely worn when Duke plays in College Park? Just because a few letters are reversed doesn’t stop this from being obviously obscene and, of course, they demonstrate the character of many in the ComCast/Cole fan-base. I have never seen anything that approaches this in Cameron and, as several of us indicated earlier in this thread, I expect that Coach K and other senior University officials would NEVER permit such things to be perpetual.

In addition, since you specifically cited Duke and UNC, are you suggesting, “our aggregate conduct really isn’t so bad for most home games, we just violate generally held standards of behavior on special occasions?" Further, how about the several instances of post-game rioting and arson in College Park? If you feel so confident regarding the comportment of UMd students and fans, I challenge you to wear an obvious Duke sweatshirt to this year’s game at Maryland . . . and let us know the results.