PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. UAB Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Next up is the University of Alabama Birmingham (10-2) which is ranked #61 by Pomeroy. UAB has lost to Arizona State and Georgia. They have wins over Top 100 teams Arkansas and VCU. Their leading scorer is Jamarr Sanders (6'4" 200) who averages 17.3 ppg. Cameron Moore (6'8" 225) averages 17.1 ppg and 9.1 rpg. Aaron Johnson (5'8" 185) averages 10.1 ppg and has an A/T ratio of 2.61. Ovie Soko (6'8" 225) also averages 10.1 ppg to go along with 5.9 rpg..

This has the potential to be a tough OOC match-up!

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Bob. I didn't realize they were rated that high, alot of ACC teams are jealous. I'm sure K will have them aware. This team still has so much to learn...and I'm loving watching them in school. After last year, I realize that these days are the ones that define the team in the long run, win AND lose.

roywhite
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Here's a link to their team page on ESPN. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/5/uab-blazers)

As Bob Green notes above, they have a 10-2 record; although they have not played a ranked team, their opponents have been recognizable basketball names like Arkansas, Georgia, Kent State, VCU, and others. Sanders and Moore are two good scorers. This won't be easy.

Here's another ESPN article which highlights the matchup. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5983855)

UAB at Duke: C-USA has a great opportunity to send a message, and UAB could be that messenger. Duke is the undisputed No. 1 team in the land, but don't look past these Blazers. Aaron Johnson is a premier passer and press breaker and Jamarr Sanders and Cameron Moore give Johnson two great targets to feed.

snowdenscold
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Here's a link to their team page on ESPN. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/5/uab-blazers)

As Bob Green notes above, they have a 10-2 record; although they have not played a ranked team, their opponents have been recognizable basketball names like Arkansas, Georgia, Kent State, VCU, and others. Sanders and Moore are two good scorers. This won't be easy.

Here's another ESPN article which highlights the matchup. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5983855)

Good, I don't mind beating up on a 10-2 team that has some non-pathetic wins. (knock on wood!) I felt kind of bad smacking around 0-11 UNC-G.

Chris Randolph
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Anybody somewhat nervous or uneasy about this game tomorrow? Mike Davis is a good coach and they've got some nice players. With Maryland on the horizon, hope we are focused on UAB.

SMO
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Good, I don't mind beating up on a 10-2 team that has some non-pathetic wins. (knock on wood!) I felt kind of bad smacking around 0-11 UNC-G.

Knock on wood is right! With Maryland up this weekend I'm sure the staff and players are being careful not to look ahead. UAB is a legit test and I'm hoping for a more crisp offensive performance than what we saw vs. Miami, although I'll take an 11pt ACC win any day.

duke09hms
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Anybody somewhat nervous or uneasy about this game tomorrow? Mike Davis is a good coach and they've got some nice players. With Maryland on the horizon, hope we are focused on UAB.

Is this the same Mike Davis that led the IU team that beat us in 2002? If so, revenge is in order.

Duvall
01-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Is this the same Mike Davis that led the IU team that beat us in 2002? If so, revenge is in order.

This Mike Davis is apparently a good coach, so it can't be the same guy that got run from Indiana.

ElSid
01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
When Mike Davis beat Duke last, I recall him being rather a bad sport about. He seemed very pleased with himself. Smug. Or worse.

The memory is a bit fuzzy, but I don't think he represented his school with much class. I was mad.

Either way, yes...let's get some payback.

As for being nervous, I'm not particularly nervous. I don't think it's a team Duke will sleep on, considering this team has only lost twice by a total of 5 points, against fairly good teams. I think we'll come to play. They have good veteran guards though. It will be a fun game to watch and another good test to see how Duke can do without Kyrie.

mgtr
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
This Mike Davis is apparently a good coach, so it can't be the same guy that got run from Indiana.

According to UAB basketball page, it is the same Mike Davis.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
When Mike Davis beat Duke last, I recall him being rather a bad sport about. He seemed very pleased with himself. Smug. Or worse.

The memory is a bit fuzzy, but I don't think he represented his school with much class. I was mad.

Either way, yes...let's get some payback.

As for being nervous, I'm not particularly nervous. I don't think it's a team Duke will sleep on, considering this team has only lost twice by a total of 5 points, against fairly good teams. I think we'll come to play. They have good veteran guards though. It will be a fun game to watch and another good test to see how Duke can do without Kyrie.

I agree, I don't think we'll be looking ahead to Maryland by any means. Though they are more of our rival, there is nothing that indicates Maryland would be a stiffer challenge than UAB. This is a good team with more than a few capable scorers so I think we'll come ready to play, more so than Miami in which we got off to a pretty slow start.

Bob Green
01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Here are some game notes/preview from a UAB perspective:

http://www.cbs42.com/sports/story/Game-On-UAB-vs-1-Duke/qqTHg2tTsEmvKjiVGPD3pQ.cspx?rss=2272

nocilla
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Here are some game notes/preview from a UAB perspective:

http://www.cbs42.com/sports/story/Game-On-UAB-vs-1-Duke/qqTHg2tTsEmvKjiVGPD3pQ.cspx?rss=2272

A couple interesting notes from the link; UAB has beaten the #1 team as recently as 2004. (which was probably enjoyed by Duke fans) And their senior PG is pretty good.

• Wednesday's contest marks the fourth time in program history that the Blazers will challenge the nation's top-ranked team. UAB owns an all-time record of 1-2 in such contests, with the only victory coming against then-No. 1 Kentucky on March 21, 2004 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

• UAB senior guard Aaron Johnson comes into Wednesday's contest leading the country in assists per game (8.3). With 12 assists against George Washington, the 2011 Bob Cousy Award nominee now owns the school record for double-digit assist games in a season with five on the campaign, accomplishing the feat in just 12 contests this season. He now has 99 assists compared to just 38 turnovers on the campaign.

snowdenscold
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
A couple interesting notes from the link; UAB has beaten the #1 team as recently as 2004. (which was probably enjoyed by Duke fans) And their senior PG is pretty good.

I remember that game - who could forget this play??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKsOwfeXRo

RockyMtDevil
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

I hope we beat them by 30 and play the starters 40 minutes.

MChambers
01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, same Mike Davis. I remember his postgame antics after beating Duke in the NCAA, didn't even acknowledge K and I'm pretty sure K waiting around for him to shake his hand but he was too busy showing us up. I remember thinking how if I had just beaten an hall of fame coach and the defending champs, I would hope to be somewhat humble and respectful of their accomplishments but Davis was far from it. He was smug, arrogant and disrespectful. Acting as if he had arrived after one fluke win.

He's a punk, always has been from what I understand. I had dinner with an old SEC coach the other night who said he tried to recruit Davis back in the day, but " Alabama made him a better offer".

Not me. I hope we play great and beat them soundly, and our bench gets lots of time.

UAB is a small team, according to Pomeroy. Be interesting to see if our size gives them trouble or we have to go small.

jimsumner
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
The greatest moment in UAB hoops history came in 1982 when they knocked Ralph Sampson and third-ranked Virginia out of the NCAAs.

Fish80
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Aaron Johnson is a pretty quick little guard. I wonder if Tyler will get some minutes defending the little guy? We might see Nolan, Seth, and Tyler taking turns trying to slow Aaron down.

hurleyfor3
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM

I share everyone else's feelings towards Davis, but I hope we treat it like just another team on the schedule if we win. The 2002 game will forever be his greatest win. What does it say about how far has he fallen when we of all fanbases are wondering whether it's the same Mike Davis coaching UAB? It would be like NY Mets fans wondering whether this (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5987630) is the same guy from 1986.

The manner in which he called out the Duke staffer (who was NOT coaching staff or otherwise directly involved with the team... SID I think) for the "what time is our next game" comment was also revealing. There he was after his greatest accomplishment ever, and that's the first thing it occurrs to him to talk about?

That said, he did exploit a weakness of ours in 2002, so it's worth watching how he plays us tonight.

theAlaskanBear
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
This game is a classic definition of a "trap game." A non-conference game between two of Duke's toughest conference rivals the past few years. UAB has quality wins, a great coach (sorry to the Mike Davis detractors) and good balance anchored by a strong forward combo and great PG. They are good at shooting 3's, but they aren't perimeter oriented as they have a 17ppg big man and another 17ppg wing man. They also have been getting good bench production.

I hope Duke thrashes them, but I will be comfortable with any victory that doesn't cause a heart-attack. I want Duke to be tested some more before conference play takes over.

Kedsy
01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Aaron Johnson is a pretty quick little guard. I wonder if Tyler will get some minutes defending the little guy? We might see Nolan, Seth, and Tyler taking turns trying to slow Aaron down.

Well, we might, but probably not for more than a minute or two unless we're blowing them out (which I don't necessarily expect to happen).

theAlaskanBear
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM

I understand there is some tough history between Duke and Mike Davis, but allowing one moment to define him as a "punk" is immature. Davis was an assistant at Indiana for Coach Knight, and I am sure he is a good man and better coach than we give him credit for. Would Knight have hired him if otherwise?

Secondly Davis has some serious basketball chops. He did great at Indiana in an impossible situation following Knight. Firing Davis was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from. He has taken over a UAB program and done a great job with them as well.

hurleyfor3
01-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Firing Davis was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.

Firing Knight was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.

theAlaskanBear
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Firing Knight was a mistake Indiana has yet to recover from.

Yes and no. Knight deserved to coach for life at IU if he wanted to, but he didn't get past the second round of the NCAA's in his last 6 years at Indiana. He didn't finish better than tie-2nd in his division in that time, and was more often t-3rd or worse.

Davis' first three years coaching at IU were better than Knights last three years, record wise and in the tournament. Davis had a couple of down years but his program was improving when he was fired.

I don't think Knight should have been fired, but they had immediate success under Davis and they should have let his contract run its course (two more years) before making an evaluation.

SilkyJ
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I agree, I don't think we'll be looking ahead to Maryland by any means. Though they are more of our rival, there is nothing that indicates Maryland would be a stiffer challenge than UAB.

Well here's something to indicate that MD is tougher than UAB: KenPom has UMD at #13 vs UAB at #66.

DevilWearsPrada
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Last night at the girls game vs Kentucky ( GREAT WIN LADIES... Jas was clutch).... the UAB team, and staff came into Cameron during the last 10 minutes of regulation play in the Girls game. They were sitting to my left. I was sitting behind the Duke bench on the padded bleachers.

After the game, the security cleared Cameron very quickly so UAB could get a practice in last night after 930pm.

I spoke to some of the staff. And welcomed them to Cameron and Duke. And they confirmed they were practicing last night. UAB dressed in Emerald Green warmups.

See everyone tonight at the Duke UAB game, and wear your DUKE BLUE!!!!

And as Always,

GO DUKE!!!

stillcrazie
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Last night at the girls game vs Kentucky ( GREAT WIN LADIES... Jas was clutch).... the UAB team, and staff came into Cameron during the last 10 minutes of regulation play in the Girls game. They were sitting to my left. I was sitting behind the Duke bench on the padded bleachers.

After the game, the security cleared Cameron very quickly so UAB could get a practice in last night after 930pm.

I spoke to some of the staff. And welcomed them to Cameron and Duke. And they confirmed they were practicing last night. UAB dressed in Emerald Green warmups.

See everyone tonight at the Duke UAB game, and wear your DUKE BLUE!!!!

And as Always,

GO DUKE!!!

Thanks for clarifying - I was wondering who those guys in green were!

moonpie23
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
This game is a classic definition of a "trap game." A non-conference game between two of Duke's toughest conference rivals the past few years. UAB has quality wins, a great coach (sorry to the Mike Davis detractors) and good balance anchored by a strong forward combo and great PG. They are good at shooting 3's, but they aren't perimeter oriented as they have a 17ppg big man and another 17ppg wing man. They also have been getting good bench production.

I hope Duke thrashes them, but I will be comfortable with any victory that doesn't cause a heart-attack. I want Duke to be tested some more before conference play takes over.

you are correct-a-mundo monsignor bear...........i'm sure K will have the team on their toes, hopefully we won't get caught looking down the road...

striker219
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM

I'd rather beat them by 30 without the starters having to play in the second half, but I think I know what you're saying.

DukeGirl4ever
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Is Len Elmore on crack? Did he seriously think that was a charge????
Maybe I'm the one that's messed up.

The defender fell underneath Nolan...I saw no shoulder-dipping or pushing off with his elbow.

DukeGirl4ever
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM

The defender fell underneath Nolan...I saw no shoulder-dipping or pushing off with his elbow.

Forgot to add, looks like that charge call has sparked Nolan again!!!

hedevil
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Nolan has come to play!!!!!!!!!

_TheFakeJWill_
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I haven't seen a Duke player (Nolan) play at this high of a level since JJ Redick!

dukebsbll14
01-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Nolan's rollin!

Congrats on 2,000 points, Kyle!

snowdenscold
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Jumping out to a 26-4 lead there was just delightful to watch.

New strategy: have Nolan pick up an offensive foul early on every game from here on out.

grossbus
01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Trap? Not so much.

Zowee!!!

lotusland
01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
I posted earlier this season that Singler struggles putting the ball on the floor out on the perimeter but he's really improved over the last few games making some good drives and dishes. He really looks like a complete wing/forward now.

Nice drive by Mason too and made the ft!

superdave
01-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Sorry but it's offensive when you raise your arm into the defender's chest. That's about the 4th-5th one of those Nolan has gotten this year. Bad habit picked up from summer pickup games...

DukeGirl4ever
01-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry but it's offensive when you raise your arm into the defender's chest. That's about the 4th-5th one of those Nolan has gotten this year. Bad habit picked up from summer pickup games...

I didn't see him raise his arm in to the chest....I think his arm did hit the defender's chest, BUT it was a result of having his feet taken out from underneath him, so to me that happened after the foul occurred.

I need to see it again, but I'll still think it's a block.

DukeGirl4ever
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I posted earlier this season that Singler struggles putting the ball on the floor out on the perimeter but he's really improved over the last few games making some good drives and dishes. He really looks like a complete wing/forward now.

Nice drive by Mason too and made the ft!

His shot fakes are ridiculous! The one that he had at the top of the key to shake the defender was top notch!

superdave
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I didn't see him raise his arm in to the chest....I think his arm did hit the defender's chest, BUT it was a result of having his feet taken out from underneath him, so to me that happened after the foul occurred.

I need to see it again, but I'll still think it's a block.

I shook my head when I saw it because he did it vs. Miami too.

I think he's done it enough this year to where opposing coaches probably tell the refs to look out for it before the game.

lotusland
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
The announcer said the one DDuke guy you can't lose track of is Dawkins...so it's OK to lose track of Kyle and Nolan?

superdave
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
The announcer said the one DDuke guy you can't lose track of is Dawkins...so it's OK to lose track of Kyle and Nolan?

Yep, those two are shooting below 50% on threes...

DukeGirl4ever
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I shook my head when I saw it because he did it vs. Miami too.

I think he's done it enough this year to where opposing coaches probably tell the refs to look out for it before the game.

Oh I agree with you there; Nolan has been "pushing off" with his elbow a lot this year. I just didn't think this time he did it. But, a player gets that perception, it's understandable why the refs make those calls.

Bluedevil114
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Maybe that was the game plan going in and that is why they have held Dawkins to 3 points and forgot that two All American Seniors may be better. 24>3........lol

4decadedukie
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Precisely the sort of game I love, a clinic on both ends -- and fun. Sometime I wish all games could be like this -- my blood pressure would be substantially reduced -- but the National Championship wouldn't mean nearly as much under those conditions.
:D

superdave
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I thought did a great job of leading that break in the first couple of minutes. If he can do that consistently well, it probably increases our transition buckets by a significant percentage. It's an NBA move by him.

NSDukeFan
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM

The point that had me scratching my head was when Patrick said Curry looked lost defensively on a lob where he was in great position but simply got caught on a switch with a big man.

superdave
01-05-2011, 07:52 PM
The point that had me scratching my head was when Patrick said Curry looked lost defensively on a lob where he was in great position but simply got caught on a switch with a big man.

They also called UABs coach Mike Smith. Who knows how they'd spell Shelden if they came to DBR.

somf4eva
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Pep band with "UAB, U Are Bad" cheer.

Son of Mojo
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
How many more stats and/or names will Patrick butcher for the rest of the night? I don't drink alcohol but someone should start a drinking game for this..........

hedevil
01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Patrick referred to Nolan by his fathers' name while Nolan was shooting his freethrows for his 29th point of the game.

lotusland
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Surrogate crazies showing some age. A couple having to change hands on the farewell cheer.

NSDukeFan
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
That's the way to get your career high Nolan! With authority!

SMO
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
LOVE NOLAN slamming home a career high!

superdave
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
How about Nolan with the big dunk to get his career high?

I thought he was about to break out the Sam Cassel dance after that one!

SMO
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
How about Nolan with the big dunk to get his career high?

I thought he was about to break out the Sam Cassel dance after that one!

I'm waiting for someone to point out that on that play, Duke was not leading by enough, Nolan didn't jump quite high enough, or rescue any of his teammates from the proverbial doghouse. I'm sure there's something to criticize about that play...:o

superdave
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm waiting for someone to point out that on that play, Duke was not leading by enough, Nolan didn't jump quite high enough, or rescue any of his teammates from the proverbial doghouse. I'm sure there's something to criticize about that play...:o

Ha. True statement.

NSDukeFan
01-05-2011, 08:59 PM

He should have let Tyler or Josh score instead.(;