PDA

View Full Version : Man taken out of Cameron by EMS

DonnyDevil
01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
There was a man in Cameron last night who was sitting a few rows behind me (under the national championship banners) who was rushed out the stadium about 5 minutes before the start of the game. He appeared to not be breathing and they were doing some serious CPR on him.

Did not know if anyone had an update on the situation. Obviously I wish nothing but the best for the guy and can only hope everything turned out to be ok.

DevilWearsPrada
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I didnt see that, I didnt get into Cameron until Singing the National Anthem.

Prayers for all involved. Duke EMS is wonderful, and Duke ER is close by. Hope everyone is doing well.

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I am also wondering and sending out huge vibes to him. They rolled him past us on the gurney, it did not look good. If it means anything, they had a line in his leg, and a breathing apparatus on his face, which I don't think they would do if he wasn't alive. I was impressed with the ability of the EMT's to get to him and get him out of Cameron with relative speed considering the large crowd in the concourse.

coldriver10
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Prayers for all involved. Duke EMS is wonderful, and Duke ER is close by. Hope everyone is doing well.
I used to be on Duke EMS. Brings back memories of staffing the games (though I think I only responded to two incidents in Cameron during my time as an EMT, neither of which were nearly as grave as this situation sounds).

My thoughts and prayers go out to this gentleman and his family. Unfortunately, CPR is never a good sign, but certainly miracles do happen.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Prayers for him and his family.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I used to be on Duke EMS. Brings back memories of staffing the games (though I think I only responded to two incidents in Cameron during my time as an EMT, neither of which were nearly as grave as this situation sounds).

My thoughts and prayers go out to this gentleman and his family. Unfortunately, CPR is never a good sign, but certainly miracles do happen.
CPR was administered for at least 10 minutes before moving on to a stretcher. CPR continued while the man was being moved down the steps and out the exit ramp. It appeared that there were a couple of people nearby who knew CPR. When the emergency developed, they sprang into action and took turns throughout the duration including the time going down the steps.

soccerstud2210
01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
my fiance and I also saw this as we were getting to our seats last night. neither of us could figure out what had happened. he seemed to have a gash (which now makes sense as it appears it was the cath) on his leg and he was completely blue from the neck/chest up. we assumed that he had perhaps fallen and broken his leg and went into shock and stopped breathing.

anyways. we sent some prayers up for him last night when we got to our seats. i pray that he is recovering well!

stillcrazie
01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know if there is public access to a defibrillator at Cameron? It seems to me that there should be. These devices can determine if a shock is needed and are more effective in combination with CPR than CPR alone.

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know if there is public access to a defibrillator at Cameron? It seems to me that there should be. These devices can determine if a shock is needed and are more effective in combination with CPR than CPR alone.
I saw the first EMT running with one in his bag. When I was a kid, I sat with my parents and the defibrillator they were in charge of (no pun intended) courtside. My guess is there are a few readily available.

alteran
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Prayers, indeed.

coldriver10
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
The EMTs carry them, so I doubt one is publicly available.

It doesn't sound good by the description of things. :( I definitely pray for him and his family for the best outcome possible.

4decadedukie
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
My prayers go to him and to his family. To be at CIS for our ACC opener, and to experience this serious sort of medical emergency, must be especially difficult particularly for those with him. On the other hand, Duke EMS and Duke Med are exceptionally good, very hard to equal in skill and dedication. Let's all hope and pray for a fast and complete recovery.