PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

smcook313
12-31-2010, 12:51 PM
I haven't had much of chance to watch Miami play this year, being from the Midwest they aren't televised that often. I know Scott is one heck of an athlete and he really knows how to pressure a defense. With that being said, does anyone have any other concerns like matchups, tempo, or _____ (fill in the blank) that we should watch out for??

I know it's a tough road game to play but I think our Devils are up for challenge. Just curious to hear what others have seen in this Miami team that has ESPN talking upset.....

-jk
12-31-2010, 01:09 PM
I haven't had much of chance to watch Miami play this year, being from the Midwest they aren't televised that often. I know Scott is one heck of an athlete and he really knows how to pressure a defense. With that being said, does anyone have any other concerns like matchups, tempo, or _____ (fill in the blank) that we should watch out for??

I know it's a tough road game to play but I think our Devils are up for challenge. Just curious to hear what others have seen in this Miami team that has ESPN talking upset.....

Umm... It's a home game.

-jk

smcook313
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Umm... It's a home game.

-jk

My apologies...Tough home game was my thought but not what I typed. Thank you

JMarley50
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM

I haven't really seen or heard a lot about Miami this year either. I think I'll fill in the blank with my only concern. The past couple of years, it seems as if Miami is one of the "grittier" (trying to be nice) teams we face. I hope the trend doesn't continue, but if it does I'm curious as to how our guys will react. They are definitely going to have to bring their big boy pants either way because it will probably be a very physical game.

Bob Green
12-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Miami is 11th in the ACC in Turnover Margin and 10th in Assists/Turnover Ratio, while Duke is #1 and #2 respectively. Moreover, Miami's big man Reggie Johnson isn't quick and athletic (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23635-The-2nd-best-team-in-the-ACC-%28a-group-project%29/page2) so I expect Duke will look to push the tempo and force Miami into an up and down game.

Ken Pomeroy predicts an 88-66 Duke victory.

DevilWearsPrada
12-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Miami is 11th in the ACC in Turnover Margin and 10th in Assists/Turnover Ratio, while Duke is #1 and #2 respectively. Moreover, Miami's big man Reggie Johnson isn't quick and athletic (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?23635-The-2nd-best-team-in-the-ACC-%28a-group-project%29/page2) so I expect Duke will look to push the tempo and force Miami into an up and down game.

I like that spread. Frank Haith is an excellent coach. He graduated from Elon University and is from Burlington.

How many of the guards (shooting guards) are left on the Miami team? I know all the local sports stations, say the ACC is way down this season. But this Sunday will be Duke's first ACC game.

Thanks and as Always,
Go Duke!!!!

devildeac
12-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Wow. This guy is "please don't eat me" type big:
Reggie Johnson

Class:
Sophomore
Hometown:
Winston-Salem, N.C.
High School:
Winston-Salem Prep
Height / Weight:
6-10 / 303
Position:
C

mgtr
12-31-2010, 09:24 PM
So this guy is a Glenn Davis-type player. I wonder how the Plums deal with that? I guess they just focus on jumping and quickness.

MChambers
12-31-2010, 10:16 PM
So this guy is a Glenn Davis-type player. I wonder how the Plums deal with that? I guess they just focus on jumping and quickness.
Well, they played against him twice last year. They'll front him, of course.

On the other side of the court, how will he deal with MP1, MP2, and Kelly? How will Miami defend ball screens?

moonpie23
01-02-2011, 09:49 AM
what in the world is this doing on page 2? this is GAME DAY y'all......

LET'S GO DUKE !!!!

diveonthefloor
01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I'll be looking at one thing and one thing only:

How do Nolan and Seth perform at the point vs Durand Scott?
Can they penetrate? Can they run the offense efficiently?
My main scorecard will be their A/T ratio in the game.
In addition, can they contain Scott? (I think it is likely that they can.)

Others will be looking at Nolan's scoring also....while it's important that Nolan score at the point within the "new" offense, in my mind that is secondary to his other PG duties.

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I haven't had a chance to watch the Hurricanes yet either, but they usually play us well and they are well coached. While looking up some previews of the game this morning, I found this opinion.

Underrated Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott are the ACC's best backcourt duo now that Duke's Irving is injured. Sophomore Reggie Johnson adds a powerful presence on the boards, but the Hurricanes don't force enough turnovers. They are averaging two more turnovers per game than their opponents, and that shouldn't happen with a backcourt that's so talented.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/02/894284/duke-at-head-of-the-class.html

I don't mind them not listing Duke as tops in that category since we don't seem to have set on who is our starting backcourt yet. But regardless of who starts with Nolan, our guards are damn good.
Good to see the bit about the turnovers, we should capitalize well on them. The one thing I'll be watching for mostly is the way we start; I'm hoping we don't come out sloppy, if we do we may take a while to get on track.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
We all remember what Mason Plumlee did against a similar type guy as Reggie Johnson in the CBE last month. I hope he can put up some nice numbers tonight against Reggie and co. He needs to get his confidence going again.

Besides that, I just wanna see a balanced game overall. Nolan and Kyle shouldn't have to score 20+ every game for us to win. They won't, but its always nice to see big games from other guys. Its been a running theme with Kyrie out, but I hope Seth and Andre can play well against their talented backcourt. Duke wins 88-71

cptnflash
01-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Is tonight's game on national TV? It doesn't appear to be on any of the ESPN channels. If anyone knows where it's being broadcast, please share.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't mind them not listing Duke as tops in that category since we don't seem to have set on who is our starting backcourt yet. But regardless of who starts with Nolan, our guards are damn good.
Good to see the bit about the turnovers, we should capitalize well on them. The one thing I'll be watching for mostly is the way we start; I'm hoping we don't come out sloppy, if we do we may take a while to get on track.
I think their propensity to cough the ball up bodes well for us, as Nolan is a great man defender and Seth has shown very nice hands for picking up steals. I think sometime before the half-way pt in the ACC season Nolan and Seth will be regarded as the best backcourt duo in the ACC.
Ryan Kelly also seems to get more steals and blocks than it seems like a sometimes-starting So. should. Although RJ may be able to push him under the basket, Ryan's timing and height may end up allowing him to get a couple of doubt-inducing blocks.
Miles has shown a really nice and quick spin move on occasion, which may be really handy if he's left one on one with Johnson on the block, seeing how RJ is a bit hefty.
Another thing I'll be looking for, does Miami have any guards off the bench that can deal with Andre? If their defense lags off him and leaves him with open 3s, he's gonna hurt them. He's also shown an increased ability to drive a little bit, hit pull-up jumpers or throw down some def jams.

deezl
01-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Is tonight's game on national TV? It doesn't appear to be on any of the ESPN channels. If anyone knows where it's being broadcast, please share.

FSCHD Channel 1508 here in Fayetteville.

Faison1
01-02-2011, 12:16 PM

From what I can tell, New York, NY listings have channel 48 showing the game at 7:30. Tip 7:45.

It's showing on Fox Sports in the South. Here is the info link, but I couldn't figure out how to paste it as a hyperlink:

http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/ny/new-york/time-warner-southern-manhattan-standard?scheduleDate=20110102&scheduleTime=1900&hid=NY31519&miniguide=SP&provider=time-warner-southern-manhattan-standard&zipcode=10001&refresh_ad=0

strawbs
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
if someone knows of an online site that will be hosting the game such as justintv and would link to the broadcast closer to gametime i'd really appreciate it. I don't have fsn here in iowa, I've got comcast instead and they are showing the bears postgame show instead of the duke game. They are showing the duke game at 1230 tonight but i dont want to be up until 3 watching it.

Kedsy
01-02-2011, 12:59 PM
if someone knows of an online site that will be hosting the game such as justintv and would link to the broadcast closer to gametime i'd really appreciate it. I don't have fsn here in iowa, I've got comcast instead and they are showing the bears postgame show instead of the duke game. They are showing the duke game at 1230 tonight but i dont want to be up until 3 watching it.

In Philadelphia, Comcast is showing a Flyers game/post-game show on the channel they usually would show the Fox Sunday night game, but I believe they are showing our game on their Comcast Sports HD channel. Of course, you'd have to have the HD channel to see it there.

Bob Green
01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Is tonight's game on national TV?

In the Puget Sound area, Comcast Channel 30 (FSN) will air the game.

sagegrouse
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Fox and ESPN are oil and water. If Fox has it, you can't watch it on any ESPN channel. Fox games are typically Sunday, and the ACC has Sunday night, although today Wake/Gonzaga, UNC/ST. Francis, and Duke/Miami are back to back on Fox's Rocky Mountain network.

sagegrouse

PumpkinFunk
01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Same deal as some of the others... if there's a stream that someone finds, could they post it here? The first 75 minutes of the game are being precluded by Redskins postgame (thanks, NFL, for flexing our game to 4:15 this week...) so I'm stuck. The game is nowhere on my cable until 9 PM... not even on the premium channels.

cptnflash
01-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Game is on MSG+ for those in the New York area.

strawbs
01-02-2011, 01:32 PM
In Philadelphia, Comcast is showing a Flyers game/post-game show on the channel they usually would show the Fox Sunday night game, but I believe they are showing our game on their Comcast Sports HD channel. Of course, you'd have to have the HD channel to see it there.

I always look at the hd listings, didn't think to look at the non hd. Thanks for reminding me to do that because i wouldn't have even bothered. It was to no avail though. bears post game on both. hopefully there is an online link or i will be watching the 1230 rebroadcast. Better then nothing, and i dont have work tomorrow so it could be a lot worse

JBDuke
01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Folks, for those of you in the DC area, Comcast SportsNet has the game, but they won't be showing the start of it, so that they can broadcast their lame Redskins Post-Game show. (After all, if it's associated with the Redskins around here, it trumps everything.) :rolleyes:

Note that the entire game will be carried on Comcast SportsNet Plus (or Alternative), which I get on channel 643 with DirecTV (vice 642 for the main SportsNet). I'll have to live without HD until the Redskins post-game thing is over and the main channel picks up the Duke game (supposed to be at 9 pm), but that's a relatively small price to pay, I guess.

sagegrouse
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Folks, for those of you in the DC area, Comcast SportsNet has the game, but they won't be showing the start of it, so that they can broadcast their lame Redskins Post-Game show. (After all, if it's associated with the Redskins around here, it trumps everything.) :rolleyes:

Note that the entire game will be carried on Comcast SportsNet Plus (or Alternative), which I get on channel 643 with DirecTV (vice 642 for the main SportsNet). I'll have to live without HD until the Redskins post-game thing is over and the main channel picks up the Duke game (supposed to be at 9 pm), but that's a relatively small price to pay, I guess.

Also, if you have Comcast in DC, please check Ch. 21, which has the Comcast Sports Net overflow games.

sagegrouse

Kim*
01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Doesn't look like it's on the CSN-HD channel, either. Flyers post-game followed by the Eagles post-game.

striker219
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I think we have a lot of things going for us in this one.

As has been, I think that tempo will be important for multiple reasons. If we can force a tempo in the low to mid 70's (our average) we coast, if they slow tempo down to the mid to upper 60's (their average) the game could be a lot closer.

Reggie Johnson is an interesting case because although he is almost averaging a double double he's also averaging under 23 minutes a game. That's impressive production for somewhat limited minutes but I think we can neutralize him by simply running him off the court. Push the tempo and a player that size generally has trouble keeping up. He's fairly foul prone (9 of 14 games with 4 or 5 fouls), and playing on tired legs will only increase the odds of committing dumb fouls.

Fouls aside, he is a very efficient offensive player and a great rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Pressure, pressure, pressure. If we can hurry Miami's offense and force shots before he's set it will limit his ability to rebound, and if our bigs can use their quickness (MOVE THOSE FEET!!!!) to deny him the ball, he could have a very long evening.

Turnovers should go our way on both sides of the court. Miami is fairly turnover prone but they're not very good at forcing turnovers. We're great at forcing turnovers and pretty darn good at hanging on to the ball too.

3-point shooting could be interesting. They have four guys averaging better than 40% from 3 on the season and two of them are over 45% (according to ESPN anyway, Kenpom's numbers disagree). This has been a weak spot (relatively speaking) in our defense this year; will they be able to take advantage? On the flip side, they statistically have one of the best 3 point defenses that we have faced all year. Of course they haven't had to play against a team that shoots the ball anywhere close to our level, so we'll see if they can keep up that pressure against a serious outside threat.

Only a few more hours and conference play is here!!!!!

SCMatt33
01-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Doesn't look like it's on the CSN-HD channel, either. Flyers post-game followed by the Eagles post-game.

My schedule has Flyers Post game at 730 and Eagles post game from 8-10. From 730-9, the Comcast Network (formerly CN8) is showing Eagles post-game followed by local stuff until 10. The Comcast network is showing the UVA game before that and may show at least some of the Duke game. I wouldn't count on it, but I would check since I don't think that they would show Eagles post game on two different channels at the same time.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
As has been, I think that tempo will be important for multiple reasons. If we can force a tempo in the low to mid 70's (our average) we coast, if they slow tempo down to the mid to upper 60's (their average) the game could be a lot closer.

Reggie Johnson is an interesting case because although he is almost averaging a double double he's also averaging under 23 minutes a game. That's impressive production for somewhat limited minutes but I think we can neutralize him by simply running him off the court. Push the tempo and a player that size generally has trouble keeping up. He's fairly foul prone (9 of 14 games with 4 or 5 fouls), and playing on tired legs will only increase the odds of committing dumb fouls.

Fouls aside, he is a very efficient offensive player and a great rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Pressure, pressure, pressure. If we can hurry Miami's offense and force shots before he's set it will limit his ability to rebound, and if our bigs can use their quickness (MOVE THOSE FEET!!!!) to deny him the ball, he could have a very long evening.

Turnovers should go our way on both sides of the court. Miami is fairly turnover prone but they're not very good at forcing turnovers. We're great at forcing turnovers and pretty darn good at hanging on to the ball too.

3-point shooting could be interesting. They have four guys averaging better than 40% from 3 on the season and two of them are over 45% (according to ESPN anyway, Kenpom's numbers disagree). This has been a weak spot (relatively speaking) in our defense this year; will they be able to take advantage? On the flip side, they statistically have one of the best 3 point defenses that we have faced all year. Of course they haven't had to play against a team that shoots the ball anywhere close to our level, so we'll see if they can keep up that pressure against a serious outside threat.

Since when is Duke averaging in the mid-70s either on offense or D? We have scored less than 80 pts once this year, and that was 79 vs Miami (OH). Our opponents have struggled to score more than 60 on most occasions, and only scoring 70+ on 5 occasions.
Your thoughts on 3pt shooting are interesting, but I think that their % is over-rated as they haven't faced any D as good as ours, even if our 3pt D isn't as good as it usually is, I think our boys will be able to force a sharp decline in their %.
Your thoughts on RJ are also interesting, and I think that trying to run him out of the game is a good one, as well as one I think that K will try to implement. I can see Duke trying lots of low-post screens to try to get him out of position and create fouls.
I very much agree with you on the issue of turns, and I think that Duke will win the game due to it.

Bob Green
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Since when is Duke averaging in the mid-70s either on offense or D? We have scored less than 80 pts once this year, and that was 79 vs Miami (OH).

Striker219 is referring to Adj Tempo not points. Per Ken Pomeroy, Duke's Adj Tempo is 72.8:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke

Miami's Adj Tempo is 67.9:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Miami%20FL

In other words, we desire to play a game with a faster tempo.

Madrasdukie
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Would anyone know which channel in COX shows tonight's game in the Northern VA area ? I checked unsuccessfully for FSN on COX. Thanks for the help.

TheRob8801
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I wish I would've payed attention to the fact that Comcast only does local FSN when I ordered the service.

Looks like I'm going to be hoping for a stream closer to gametime.

chrisheery
01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
RCN in DC/Bethesda: its on channel 371, CSN (college sports network).

karnwenhan
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM

It looks like this site may be streaming:

http://www.watch-sports.com/pro/ncaa-hoops-streams/792-0745-miami-vs-duke

They are currently showing the UVA game so it looks promising.

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
It appears the game will not be broadcast on Verizon FIOS in the DC area, although it is carried by Fox Sports South. I hope to get the live radio feed over the internet on the BUZZ (or some other Duke affiliated station).

DMV2434
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
It appears the game will not be broadcast on Verizon FIOS in the DC area, although it is carried by Fox Sports South. I hope to get the live radio feed over the internet on the BUZZ (or some other Duke affiliated station).

I'm think/hope the game will be on channel one (Fios1). They have the UVA game on now and I seem to remember watching a game last year with the same Redskins postgame conflict.

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much; it seems this will work (even on my I-pad).

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm think/hope the game will be on channel one (Fios1). They have the UVA game on now and I seem to remember watching a game last year with the same Redskins postgame conflict.

Thanks. Watching the last minutes of UVa beating LSU now on Verizon FIOS 1; I certainly hope you're right.

Kedsy
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, that stinks. According to the Comcast website the game is on Channel 200, but I guess they must have changed it.

Devil-In-Law
01-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Not sure whether the SUNHD (#402) channel is part of the Comcast lineup in other parts of the country, but here in SW Florida, Duke/Miami will be shown on that channel.

Go Devils!

strawbs
01-02-2011, 07:34 PM
anybody got a justin.tv link? those usually work pretty well. The watch-sports one that somebody posted earlier has got the shakiest picture. don't mean to complain i appreciate the chance to see the game, just hoping somebody knows of a different link

riverside6
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6991

starters are posted

NSDukeFan
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you as well. I am so excited to get the conference season started and watch Duke play a top 100 (Miami ranked #56 by Pomeroy) team for the first time in almost a month. Go Duke.

meloveduke
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
anybody got a justin.tv link? those usually work pretty well. The watch-sports one that somebody posted earlier has got the shakiest picture. don't mean to complain i appreciate the chance to see the game, just hoping somebody knows of a different link

I was just looking and found nothing sorry.

TheRob8801
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Wowzer.

I type one thing in the chat: "Is anyone else getting a choppy Miami v. Duke feed?" and I immediately get berated by 4 admins and banned from the chat. Small minds in power and whatnot, lol. Makes me laugh.

Luckily, FSN in my area is actually showing Duke v. Miami after advertising that they weren't going to be all day. Hooray!

Smitty1911
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks. Watching the last minutes of UVa beating LSU now on Verizon FIOS 1; I certainly hope you're right.

It looks like you're right. Thanks, guys -- 501 working in HD!

dalmatians98
01-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Duke v. Miami also streaming here http://www.justin.tv/heel0232#/w/718694048

karnwenhan
01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

This one just popped up: http://www.justin.tv/heel0232#/w/718694048

The other one I posted earlier seems to be working better as well.

meloveduke
01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I hate how the Fox Sports hd is not shown in hd......lame.

striker219
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Striker219 is referring to Adj Tempo not points. Per Ken Pomeroy, Duke's Adj Tempo is 72.8:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Duke

Miami's Adj Tempo is 67.9:

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Miami%20FL

In other words, we desire to play a game with a faster tempo.

I didn't make that very clear, thanks!

Indoor66
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Not sure whether the SUNHD (#402) channel is part of the Comcast lineup in other parts of the country, but here in SW Florida, Duke/Miami will be shown on that channel.

Go Devils!

Same on the Gold Coast.

Pam
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
The game is on channel 1 on Fios in the DC area until the Redskins after game show is over. At about 9, you can tune to 1525 for HD.

Also, if you have Comcast in DC, please check Ch. 21, which has the Comcast Sports Net overflow games.

sagegrouse

TheBrianZoubekExperience
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Is Fios1 only available in some markets. I'm in the Philly area and have Fios but don't have channel 501.

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone else believe that was goal tending?

Acymetric
01-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Don't like this Nolan/Andre/Kyle/Mason/Miles lineup. Not enough strong ballhandlers/distributors.

Pam
Is Fios1 only available in some markets. I'm in the Philly area and have Fios but don't have channel 501.

Try googling Comcast Sportsnet Plus and you might find the channel for Philly. Channel 1 and Channel 501 are working in the DC area for the game, but Comcast uses those stations for local sports, so there is no telling what they consider important in Philly for this channel.

SCMatt33
Really Comcast? Philly is currently simulcasting Eagles post game on both CSN and the comcast network. That's pretty ridiculous.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
The game is on channel 1 on Fios in the DC area until the Redskins after game show is over. At about 9, you can tune to 1525 for HD.

576 is ComcastSports HD I believe. Guide data has game has 2nd half on at 9PM.

Watching in 501 FiOS1HD, but the game's in SD... bleh.

-jk
01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm getting it on comcast ch 8 in Montgomery Co, MD.

-jk

SCMatt33
01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
For those still watching online: I'm finding that the watch-sports link has a much better video quality, but the Justin TV link is much smoother and still watchable.

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Comcast Prince Georges County has the game on channel 856 TCNHD.....GO DUKE!

JMarley50
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
This has been a scrappy and physical game thus far. Our bigs are gonna have to play strong!

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Especially unforced - we MUST resolve this issue NOW (it has been a comparative weakness all season).

Fuqua's Finest
01-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Ughh. Can we try at least one post pass. Just one! Welcome to the Nolan-Singler show.

hedevil
01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Our defense is great.

Unfortunately, Duke can't buy a bucket.

There have been plenty of open looks.

summerwind03
I'm in the DC area and found it on Channel 334 on Verizon FIOS.

JMarley50
Especially unforced - we MUST resolve this issue NOW (it has been a comparative weakness all season).

And rebounding... We look horrible on the boards. They are just flat out getting out worked. Lucky for us Miami can't score.

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
The ball movement has not been good either. Quick threes are not the answer. Plumlees have to get more physical. Dawkins has come to play.

slower
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
You know, we may very well win by 20. But this is just not very impressive.

Fuqua's Finest
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Watching Durant Scott drive and dish at will makes me miss Kyrie that much more...

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Miami player was not set and it absolutely was not a charge.

-jk
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Miami player was not set and it absolutely was not a charge.

Except that Nolan led with his arm.

-jk

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Somebody just woke Nolan Smith up.........WOW.

JMarley50
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Anybody notice Mason trying to strip the ball away from Nolan after he already had the ball secured?

Mcluhan
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM

The secret that no one ever talks about is that Nolan toys with college competition for stretches at a time.

wk2109
01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Nolan got tired of setting up the offense for guys who weren't making shots

meloveduke
01-02-2011, 08:27 PM
fact is Duke is just now getting out of the locker room. Miami has been out the whole game.

snowdenscold
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
For those still watching online: I'm finding that the watch-sports link has a much better video quality, but the Justin TV link is much smoother and still watchable.

I agree with this assessment.

And wow, Nolan was very Dunleavy-esque there... 3 straight 3's (and 11 straight points for us)

meloveduke
Nolan Smith... I Love You

Gthoma2a
That drive Nolan made a second ago looked like the Pro-Am all over again.

JMarley50
01-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Mason fade away jump shot when he had the guy sealed on his hip and had an easy drop step dunk if he turned to the baseline. As Kyrie would say...SMH

dairedevil
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I hate it when games are officiated like this...all sorts of leaning, holding, reaching and no calls for 15 minutes, then the refs get whistle-happy all of a sudden. It is probably to Duke's advantage in the long run (Miami has taken some of the ugliest free throws I've seen this season) but it's hard to know what to expect them to call.

jipops
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
That drive Nolan made a second ago looked like the Pro-Am all over again.

Mason had everything to do with that lane being open. He should get an assist for it. He should get an assist for almost all of Nolan's scores as he has set him up almost every time.

Gthoma2a
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I hate it when games are officiated like this...all sorts of leaning, holding, reaching and no calls for 15 minutes, then the refs get whistle-happy all of a sudden. It is probably to Duke's advantage in the long run (Miami has taken some of the ugliest free throws I've seen this season) but it's hard to know what to expect them to call.

You speak in hyperbole. Don't take that from Henson. He gets the award for ugliest free throws of the season.

jipops
01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Mason fade away jump shot when he had the guy sealed on his hip and had an easy drop step dunk if he turned to the baseline. As Kyrie would say...SMH

Kevin Garnett is about the only big man in basketball that can effectively pull off this move. I really wish Mason would end this move and go to something else. It is a low percentage shot for him with no chance of an offensive board. He made one of these earlier in the season and I fear this now makes him believe he should continue to use it.

Mcluhan
01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Kevin Garnett is about the only big man in basketball that can effectively pull off this move. I really wish Mason would end this move and go to something else. It is a low percentage shot for him with no chance of an offensive board. He made one of these earlier in the season and I fear this now makes him believe he should continue to use it.

Amare can make that move. Blake Griffin can make that move very easily. But yeah, I hear your point.

JMarley50
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM

My point exactly. It just aggravates me. I had to rewind it and make sure I saw it right. When he got the ball he was in perfect position to score. The guy was trying to fight over top and Mason sealed him off. The baseline was wide open, no help there. A simple drop step and dunk with his right hand. The guy would have had to go across Mason's body to get to the ball. But instead he dribbles and moves to actually give the guy good defensive position again and spins into the lane (where the help always is) with an out of control fade away.

He needs a major film session. Just trying to do too much, when something simple would make him look spectacular.

mr. synellinden
01-02-2011, 08:50 PM

After the questionable charge call, you could all of a sudden see the fire in his eyes. That first drive following the foul was a "I'm not going to be denied" kind of basket and that stoked the three pointer parade. Bottle that intensity.

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
That is what happens when you cant dunk. You have to slow down to make the layup. Come on Curry. Take it stronger to the rim.

dairedevil
01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Gminski just stated the obvious - that both Plumlee brothers are having trouble finishing around the rim. Why does that seem to be a problem for our bigs? (No, I'm not saying it is Wojo)

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I have not seen a slow motion reapply, but that "block" just called on Ryan Kelly certainly appeared to be a charge.

Vincetaylor
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Gminski just stated the obvious - that both Plumlee brothers are having trouble finishing around the rim. Why does that seem to be a problem for our bigs? (No, I'm not saying it is Wojo)

Mason definitely doesn't look like an NBA prospect without kyrie creating easy baskets for him. He actually looks bad.

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I think the Plumlees practice free throws with Miami in the summer.

dairedevil
01-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Mason definitely doesn't look like an NBA prospect without kyrie creating easy baskets for him. He actually looks bad.

But he has set a pretty screen for Nolan...

JMarley50

I feel like I am picking on him but he just looks like he is on another planet. Definitely not an NBA prospect at this rate. Our bigs in general are struggling though. Defensive communication when they hedge out on the screens is horrible. I feel like we are extremely lucky to be winning right now.

jipops
No points off turnovers. Hard to put somebody away when you can't take advantage of those. The defense has been great but the offense has made it difficult of this to continue. I'm afraid this is the type of offense we're just going to have to live with for awhile, or the rest of the year.

4decadedukie
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
The real season is underway, and we have LOTS of problems -- some significant, most less so -- to resolve NOW; Maryland come to Cameron in a week and Gary will exploit these weaknesses, if we repeat them.

SMO
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I have not seen a slow motion reapply, but that "block" just called on Ryan Kelly certainly appeared to be a charge.

The official that made that call appears to have an anti-Duke attitude. He just followed Kelly for 10 steps pointing Miami's direction after he missed an out-of-bounds call that should have gone Duke's way. There's no reason to try to intimidate a player like that. The guy's been a head case all game.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't have thought that Miami would be beating Duke in the turnover department. That's kinda sad.

Mcluhan
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Feels good to really engage and grapple with another team for the first time in a while. Since MSU.

slower
01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
The real season is underway, and we have LOTS of problems -- some significant, most less so -- to resolve NOW; Maryland come to Cameron in a week and Gary will exploit these weaknesses, if we repeat them.

Lots of red flags going up.

Andre looks VERY good, though.

JMarley50
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I never want us to lose, but I'm not so sure that winning this one is a good thing. I feel like only a couple of guys showed up ready to play. We have to learn from this, if not we are going to be in trouble.

SMO
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Lots of red flags going up.

Andre looks VERY good, though.

I'm always alarmed by double digit leads late in the game during league play:eek:

dukebluelemur
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
The official that made that call appears to have an anti-Duke attitude. He just followed Kelly for 10 steps pointing Miami's direction after he missed an out-of-bounds call that should have gone Duke's way. There's no reason to try to intimidate a player like that. The guy's been a head case all game.

Carl Hess, is that you?

Duke76
they saw Kyrie flexing his toe through that white sock...I know someone said he had a hard cast on but it sure did look like it was moving like a flex....during that time out at about the 3 minute mark.

4decadedukie
The latest "block - charge" fiasco against Duke; this is the third clear miscall in this category.

ajgoodfella7
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Anyone notice the closeup of Kyrie's boot on the bench. It looked like he was flexing his toe back and forth inside the sock that the boot was hardened around. I would guess that it had to be his big toe considering that it is almost impossible to flex the rest of your toes independently. If he is at the point where he is flexing his toe back and forth, that surely can't be a bad thing.

dairedevil
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
they saw Kyrie flexing his toe through that white sock...I know someone said he had a hard cast on but it sure did look like it was moving like a flex....during that time out at about the 3 minute mark.

I saw Kyrie wiggling his toes...which I was able to do when I had a hard cast for my broken ankle. In fact, I was encouraged to move them to help w/rehab.

But, hey, I'll take it as a good sign. At least he can move the toe!

FireOgilvie
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Reggie Johnson is a beast. We're not going to run into too many 6'10" 300 lb guys again, but he's putting up season high numbers against us.

Duke76
01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
us who saw the toe move....enough to start a new thread over the significance of

Bluedevil114
01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I never want us to lose, but I'm not so sure that winning this one is a good thing. I feel like only a couple of guys showed up ready to play. We have to learn from this, if not we are going to be in trouble.

Singler, Smith and Dawkins a few glimpses of Kelly but that is it.

slower
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm always alarmed by double digit leads late in the game during league play:eek:

At home against Miami, maybe you should be. Ostriches are wonderful creatures.

SMO
01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Carl Hess, is that you?

It's not Hess or the blonde dude. Some guy I haven't seen much. I actually don't have a lot to complain about with Hess this evening.

slower
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Frank Haith is a very classy guy. Probably my favorite opposing coach.