PDA

View Full Version : If not Duke, then who?

Chris Randolph
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Duke continues to be the unanimous #1 team in the land and the favorite to win the national championship. Who do you guys think is the next best team? Or maybe you think they are better than Duke....

I think Kansas has all the talent, especially with Selby in the lineup. I live in KS so I see a lot of their games. The problem with them is they are not a TEAM. They have a bunch of good individual players but lack the leadership and unselfishness it takes to win it all.

Personally, don't hate me for this, I think Ohio St is the best team in the country. With Kyrie, we are but we don't have him and I think the Buckeyes are the best. Really good upper classmen (leadership), great shooters and a big man who dominates the paint in Sullinger.

Indoor66
12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Duke continues to be the unanimous #1 team in the land and the favorite to win the national championship. Who do you guys think is the next best team? Or maybe you think they are better than Duke....

I think Kansas has all the talent, especially with Selby in the lineup. I live in KS so I see a lot of their games. The problem with them is they are not a TEAM. They have a bunch of good individual players but lack the leadership and unselfishness it takes to win it all.

Personally, don't hate me for this, I think Ohio St is the best team in the country. With Kyrie, we are but we don't have him and I think the Buckeyes are the best. Really good upper classmen (leadership), great shooters and a big man who dominates the paint in Sullinger.

Troll much?

richardjackson199
12-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Great observations. I think Duke is the best and I'm super excited about our season. Our upper classmen and leadership are better than really good (they proved last year they are great), our shooters are better than great (Dre, Curry, Kyle, Nolan, Ryan, and yessir Kyrie are sick from deep), and I'll take our big men who dominate the paint any day (witness some of Miles recent dunks, and Mason was as dominant as they come when we needed him against Marquette). I love this team, and when we (hopefully!) get Kyrie back in early March, we'll be even better. We shouldn't meet Ohio St. or Kansas till April, and I would love beating those teams to earn the trophy given to the real best team in the land. Should be a really fun season..

moonpie23
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
less than adequate effort on the OP...

-jk
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure what constitutes trolling here. It seemed like a reasonable post.

-jk

hurley1
12-28-2010, 01:48 PM

ohio st. is very good........but, their perimeter defense is not as good as it needs to be in order to compete with duke.......teams do not want to get into a track meet with duke.......duke can put 5 people on the court that can drain 3's........to beat duke you must have lights out perimeter defense and i just don't see that anywhere just yet......it could come from someone still, but, i don't see it yet......

sdotbarbee
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I would say Ohio St. is #2 behind Duke, they have good guard play and a great low post player in Sullinger but they don't shoot it as well from deep as Duke does. I think they would be a tough matchup if we didn't have Irving but with Irving I think we are head and shoulders above everyone.

juise
12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Ken Pom has Ohio State #1 and I saw some chatter on Twitter yesterday about Greg Anthony moving them ahead of Duke (http://twitter.com/GregAnthony50/status/19461529912999936) also (yes, I know... UNLV, bitter, etc.). So, statistically and subjectively, that opinion is floating around right now. I tend to talk polls when the season is slow, but I think most of us realize that early season polling is pretty meaningless. The best team in December may earn a tournament trophy, but not an important one.

hurley1
12-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Ken Pom has Ohio State #1 and I saw some chatter on Twitter yesterday about Greg Anthony moving them ahead of Duke (http://twitter.com/GregAnthony50/status/19461529912999936) also (yes, I know... UNLV, bitter, etc.). So, statistically and subjectively, that opinion is floating around right now. I tend to talk polls when the season is slow, but I think most of us realize that early season polling is pretty meaningless. The best team in December may earn a tournament trophy, but not an important one.

very true........another factor in this equation is this........duke will not suffer from suspensions of players for illegal activities or from academic problems.......injury is about the only thing that can bite duke in the butt.......all of these other teams that are contenders now may be an entirely different team when march rolls around......they may have several players in trouble for this or that...or injuries...and, even if they keep them on the team ( look at miss st. ) that doesn't mean they will help the team.......i solidly put duke as the #1 team now for a host of reasons, with or without irving.....just my opinion......

JasonEvans
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
very true........another factor in this equation is this........duke will not suffer from suspensions of players for illegal activities or from academic problems.......injury is about the only thing that can bite duke in the butt.......all of these other teams that are contenders now may be an entirely different team when march rolls around......they may have several players in trouble for this or that...or injuries...and, even if they keep them on the team ( look at miss st. ) that doesn't mean they will help the team.......i solidly put duke as the #1 team now for a host of reasons, with or without irving.....just my opinion......

I hope you don't think I am mean or being petty to suggest this but you are aware that the elipses is not a substitute for a period, right?

Hey, I am a huge elipses fan -- I use them all the time -- but you seem to think they are a required part of speech. I think it diminishes your posts.

--Jason "I tend to use them as pauses or... wait for it... for dramatic effect" Evans

Chris Randolph
12-28-2010, 04:48 PM
SMH at the "Troll" comments haha.

I'm not factoring in the potential for a suspension at Ohio St or elsewhere. The way the NCAA works these days, if the players/team is really good or historically good they won't be suspended for games until the next season ;)

Channing
12-28-2010, 06:12 PM

there it is ... that good old Duke elitist attitude that we are not only better than you at basketball, but we are just flat out better than you. Maybe I'm mistaken, but what have you seen in the Thad Matta era at Ohio State that would lead you to believe his players either (a) get in trouble with the law/school or (b) don't pull their weight academically. Just because the football team has problems doesn't mean the basketball team does also. Same question for Syracuse and Pitt.

KU has had some disciplinary issues over the last couple years, but nothing that required any player to miss any significant amount of time (Selby notwithstanding, although his transgressions were at the high school level, not the college level).

Devilsfan
12-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Players for tOSU have access to better tats.

deezl
12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
there it is ... that good old Duke elitist attitude that we are not only better than you at basketball, but we are just flat out better than you. Maybe I'm mistaken, but what have you seen in the Thad Matta era at Ohio State that would lead you to believe his players either (a) get in trouble with the law/school or (b) don't pull their weight academically. Just because the football team has problems doesn't mean the basketball team does also. Same question for Syracuse and Pitt.

KU has had some disciplinary issues over the last couple years, but nothing that required any player to miss any significant amount of time (Selby notwithstanding, although his transgressions were at the high school level, not the college level).

Read your post and then not too long after I see this on ESPN's page.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5964516

Thought it was funny.

hurley1
12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
I hope you don't think I am mean or being petty to suggest this but you are aware that the elipses is not a substitute for a period, right?

Hey, I am a huge elipses fan -- I use them all the time -- but you seem to think they are a required part of speech. I think it diminishes your posts.

--Jason "I tend to use them as pauses or... wait for it... for dramatic effect" Evans

i have already explained this once on here......i have 2 college degrees, but, never had typing in my life...when i graduated, there was not 1 computer on campus........i can type about 5 times as fast like this than to use capital letters......just read it like i am talking to you and it works like a champ.........

hurley1
12-29-2010, 01:18 AM

kids with character are the elite........i appreciate that duke's players are clean cut, well spoken kids.......and it is really cool that they are winners on the court.......

DukieInBrasil
12-29-2010, 06:35 AM

Perhaps an even more pertinent example can be found at UNC, where their football team had rampant festival of malfeasance yet the basketball team has not been touched...yet.

JasonEvans
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
i have already explained this once on here......i have 2 college degrees, but, never had typing in my life...when i graduated, there was not 1 computer on campus........i can type about 5 times as fast like this than to use capital letters......just read it like i am talking to you and it works like a champ.........

So you type a lot of extra characters (the periods that make up an ellipsis) instead of typing one character (a simple period or a comma) because you do not know how to type.

Ummm... ok. That makes perfect sense ;)

--Jason "was just suggesting a way for your posts to look more intelligent and thoughtful-- no biggie" Evans

YourLandlord
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
So you type a lot of extra characters (the periods that make up an ellipsis) instead of typing one character (a simple period or a comma) because you do not know how to type.

--Jason "was just suggesting a way for your posts to look more intelligent and thoughtful-- no biggie" Evans

He said there were no computers on campus when he graduated. Thus, perhaps he is a bit older. Typing a capital letter using the "shift" key takes two hands, and perhaps he cannot use one of his hands to type, thus the all lowercase. When I had shoulder surgery I had to type using one hand for months and I barely had the dexterity to hit shift+letter key. I suppose he could hit caps lock, then the letter, then caps lock again.

Given his clue of "it takes me 5x longer to type caps", perhaps we should cut him some slack as he might not have the same physical capabilities as you.

Bluedog
12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
He said there were no computers on campus when he graduated. Thus, perhaps he is a bit older. Typing a capital letter using the "shift" key takes two hands, and perhaps he cannot use one of his hands to type, thus the all lowercase. When I had shoulder surgery I had to type using one hand for months and I barely had the dexterity to hit shift+letter key. I suppose he could hit caps lock, then the letter, then caps lock again.

Given his clue of "it takes me 5x longer to type caps", perhaps we should cut him some slack as he might not have the same physical capabilities as you.

Jason wasn't talking about capital letters. I could see how that would take longer potentially for certain individuals. He was referencing the constant ellipses, which is three periods instead of one. If he can type three periods, one would think typing one period would take a shorter amount of time. Then just proceed the next sentence with a lowercase, followed again by a single period. Not that this discussion should continue to go on forever, but I agree with Jason. ;) Not a huge deal, but the constant ellipses makes it harder to read does make me want to skip over some of hurley1's posts. Maybe the extra periods are used as a form of separation as to avoid having to press the spacebar. I guess that's possible. The Caps/no caps doesn't really make a difference. bill brill doesn't use caps either.

hurley1
12-29-2010, 09:59 PM

my IQ is extremely high.......i stopped worrying about looking intelligent many, many years ago........a lesson for you...don't judge a book by it's cover.......;)

hurley1
12-29-2010, 10:04 PM

i am a professional drummer ( 35 years ) so my hands work fine.......i type with 2 birdie fingers ;).....when i hit the period button, i just hold it down for a little bit.......it separates the statements.......

But, I can type properly and I do understand correct sentence structure.It just takes alot longer for me to type this way. I actually type business letters every day, and i hate it. I am on here to enjoy, not to impress..........;)

JMarley50
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
i am a professional drummer ( 35 years ) so my hands work fine.......i type with 2 birdie fingers ;).....when i hit the period button, i just hold it down for a little bit.......it separates the statements.......

But, I can type properly and I do understand correct sentence structure.It just takes alot longer for me to type this way. I actually type business letters every day, and i hate it. I am on here to enjoy, not to impress..........;)

You know.....;) My teachers used to accuse me of actually doing more work in attempt to take shortcuts when it came to assignments. What I eventually realized was that I was just hurting my grades, and making myself look ignorant. I wasn't spending any less time on my schoolwork than my peers were. So.....(dramatic pause) I eventually decided to just do it the right way, and to my amazement it actually wasn't that bad. I learned more, actually started to enjoy learning, and looked much better in the eyes of my peers. The moral of the story is don't take shortcuts, you only cut yourself short! I think that is what they are getting at.

With that said......who cares....LETS......GO.......DUKE!!!! :cool:

Spy
12-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Ugh will you guys just let the man type the way he wants? Does it bother you this much that you just won't let it go?

On topic, I think Duke and Ohio State are on a different level than everyone else. Kansas just hasn't done anything to impress me yet. That may change, it may not. UConn is a one man team. Walker literally takes half of their shots. I haven't seen Syracuse at all but just looking at their schedule, other than MSU, the best team they've beaten is NC St. So if I had to pick a third team, I would say Cuse.

hurley1
12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Ugh will you guys just let the man type the way he wants? Does it bother you this much that you just won't let it go?

On topic, I think Duke and Ohio State are on a different level than everyone else. Kansas just hasn't done anything to impress me yet. That may change, it may not. UConn is a one man team. Walker literally takes half of their shots. I haven't seen Syracuse at all but just looking at their schedule, other than MSU, the best team they've beaten is NC St. So if I had to pick a third team, I would say Cuse.

I agree with you completely, Duke and Ohio State have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Duke has more depth than Ohio State. Man, this Duke team is LOADED !!!

dukestheheat
12-30-2010, 11:42 AM

...has the best overall team, I think, IF Duke is without Irving. With Irving healthy and on the floor, Duke is the team to beat in this year's Final Four.

dth.

DoubleDuke Dad
12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Kansas has the best overall team, I think, IF Duke is without Irving. With Irving healthy and on the floor, Duke is the team to beat in this year's Final Four.

dth.

After two sensational games coming in off of the bench, Josh Selby had a very poor game as a starter. In 26 minutes of play he was 1-9 from the field (0-5 from the 3 point line) with 2 assists and 2 turnovers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303632305

Jim3k
12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Herb Caen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Caen) of the San Francisco Chronicle (1914-1997) was famous for using ellipses. It became both a signature and sort of an art form. They even have that part of the Embarcadero which is named for Caen set up with three dots. His style became a brand: Three-dot Journalism. And, since his death the Chron has a column now written by Bruce Jenkins known as The Three Dot Lounge.

I'd say hurley1 is in good company

BD80
12-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Actually, he almost never uses three periods. It appears to generally be a random number of periods between 4 and 10.

It hardly matters, but I agree with those who think one period per sentence would be better for all concerned. But if Hurley1 wants to use more than one, it's no big deal.

Actually, he uses his three periods and then comes to a jump stop, which is one of the most misunderstood moves in basketball blogging. As per prince james, he is entitled to three to five more periods before he must begin another sentence.

As for me, I appreciate ANY effort to enliven posts or to make them more readable, but continuous use of a device does tend to minimize its impact. I keep waiting for something good after ".............." but, after a certain amount of disappointment, I just ignore it.

The IQ thing is just funny. Wrong forum to raise that fuss. A genius level IQ here would be like Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang. (On good days I feel like Stuart around here, bad days like one of Penny's boyfriends)

hurley1
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Some of you guys need to determine what is important and what is not important in life. ;)

PaIronDuke
12-31-2010, 01:31 AM
You know.....;) My teachers used to accuse me of actually doing more work in attempt to take shortcuts when it came to assignments. What I eventually realized was that I was just hurting my grades, and making myself look ignorant. I wasn't spending any less time on my schoolwork than my peers were. So.....(dramatic pause) I eventually decided to just do it the right way, and to my amazement it actually wasn't that bad. I learned more, actually started to enjoy learning, and looked much better in the eyes of my peers. The moral of the story is don't take shortcuts, you only cut yourself short! I think that is what they are getting at.

With that said......who cares....LETS......GO.......DUKE!!!! :cool:

To try to fill the formidable shoes of Jim Sumner in an historical way in this ellipsis debate, the first Duke writer in the sports area of whom I remember (this will really date me!) was Add Penfield, who died recently, and who at the time of his death was widely praised as a talented writer and devoted Duke supporter. Mr. Penfield started out- while a student at Duke - by writing game comments in Duke football programs in an entertaining way and used ellipses routinely in his commentary. Whether or not he continued doing so later in life I have no way of knowing, but it seemed to be sort of his trademark at the time.

So-o-o, Hurley One, you have an illustrious predecessor with your technique, although I seriously doubt if you are aware of it.

ice-9
12-31-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm a big KenPom guy, so this is going against the grain for me, but I don't agree Ohio State has separated itself from everyone else. Who has this team beaten? Only two teams with any chance of making the NCAA tournament:

1) Florida away, which is a good win, but this is still the Florida that lost to Jacksonville at home

2) Florida State away, which is another solid win, but to be truthful Florida State is a team that would be quite happy to just make the NCAA tournament

Ohio State beat two solid but not spectacular Florida teams and then beat the snot out of some really bad teams. As I've posted elsewhere, I suspect KenPom overvalues big blowout wins and I think that's what's driving Ohio State's lofty ranking. I want to see how Ohio State does against the likes of Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc. before declaring them elite.

hurley1
12-31-2010, 11:20 AM
To try to fill the formidable shoes of Jim Sumner in an historical way in this ellipsis debate, the first Duke writer in the sports area of whom I remember (this will really date me!) was Add Penfield, who died recently, and who at the time of his death was widely praised as a talented writer and devoted Duke supporter. Mr. Penfield started out- while a student at Duke - by writing game comments in Duke football programs in an entertaining way and used ellipses routinely in his commentary. Whether or not he continued doing so later in life I have no way of knowing, but it seemed to be sort of his trademark at the time.

So-o-o, Hurley One, you have an illustrious predecessor with your technique, although I seriously doubt if you are aware of it.

No....I am not aware of that.......and, thank you for bringing it to my attention......

hurley1
12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm a big KenPom guy, so this is going against the grain for me, but I don't agree Ohio State has separated itself from everyone else. Who has this team beaten? Only two teams with any chance of making the NCAA tournament:

1) Florida away, which is a good win, but this is still the Florida that lost to Jacksonville at home

2) Florida State away, which is another solid win, but to be truthful Florida State is a team that would be quite happy to just make the NCAA tournament

Ohio State beat two solid but not spectacular Florida teams and then beat the snot out of some really bad teams. As I've posted elsewhere, I suspect KenPom overvalues big blowout wins and I think that's what's driving Ohio State's lofty ranking. I want to see how Ohio State does against the likes of Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc. before declaring them elite.

you have a point.....can't really disagree with you on it.......we will see.......

Bob Green
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM

I agree with your point re Ohio State's schedule. However, even though Duke has beaten Marquette (42), Kansas State (37), Michigan State (21) and Butler (31); I'm looking forward to seeing how we perform on the road in the ACC. The January games @FSU (33) and @NC State (81) should provide a litmus test for this team's mettle. The OOC game @St. John's (41) to close out January will be another interesting test.

-jk
12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree with your point re Ohio State's schedule. However, even though Duke has beaten Marquette (42), Kansas State (37), Michigan State (21) and Butler (31); I'm looking forward to seeing how we perform on the road in the ACC. The January games @FSU (33) and @NC State (81) should provide a litmus test for this team's mettle. The OOC game @St. John's (41) to close out January will be another interesting test.

I agree, Bob, and more to the point with the schedule providing a post-Kyrie litmus test. We're obviously a very different team now, and haven't yet been tested in our current configuration.

-jk

MartyClark
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Kentucky has enough talent to make a run in the tournament. I know they are young and a bit small but Knight, Lamb and Jones look pretty good.

Newton_14
12-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Kentucky has enough talent to make a run in the tournament. I know they are young and a bit small but Knight, Lamb and Jones look pretty good.

They are ok, but nothing close to last year. Inside game outside of Jones is not very good. I know the Harrelson kid went off against Louisville, but not sure he can play at a high level all the time. If they had Kanter, it would make a huge difference. In their current configuration, they are too young, and lack the depth to go deep in March. They only have a 6 man rotation, so no room for error. They are prime candidates for an upset prior to the Sweet 16 imo.

On another note, check out the comment from Cal on Harrelson in the ESPN article linked below. Speaking of Harrelson, Cal states "Last year I just didn't have time for him, which was not fair". Say what? A coach not having time for a kid on his team? Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303650097

hurley1
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM
After today I think we can officially rule Tennessee out........:D......The fat lady has definately sung on them......

gam7
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
They are ok, but nothing close to last year. Inside game outside of Jones is not very good. I know the Harrelson kid went off against Louisville, but not sure he can play at a high level all the time. If they had Kanter, it would make a huge difference. In their current configuration, they are too young, and lack the depth to go deep in March. They only have a 6 man rotation, so no room for error. They are prime candidates for an upset prior to the Sweet 16 imo.

On another note, check out the comment from Cal on Harrelson in the ESPN article linked below. Speaking of Harrelson, Cal states "Last year I just didn't have time for him, which was not fair". Say what? A coach not having time for a kid on his team? Wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=303650097

It's not entirely clear from the context, but Calipari may have been saying that he didn't have playing time for Harrelson last year (not that he didn't have time for him as a player and person).

Newton_14
12-31-2010, 04:46 PM
It's not entirely clear from the context, but Calipari may have been saying that he didn't have playing time for Harrelson last year (not that he didn't have time for him as a player and person).

Fair point. I took it the other way, but it could be he is referencing PT. If so, Cal definitely could have worded that better to be clearer.

G man
12-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Next year will be the year to fear Kentucky. Some of their talent will stay for next year and their class next year will make them very formidable.

In regards to this year I would have to say Kansas scares me the most. I agree with earlier comments about them needing to figure things out, but I think that they have the most potential.