PDA

View Full Version : Kemba Walker

DoubleDuke Dad
12-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I watched the whole Pitt-UConn game list night. Kemba Walker is very good. The good news for UConn is that he can get off a shot whenever he wants to. The bad news for UConn is that he wants to shoot every time UConn gets the ball. It seemed to me that UConn’s game plan consisted of giving the ball to Walker and having him shoot on every possession. It can’t be too great for the other UConn players knowing that their only job is to get the ball to Walker so that he can shoot. I don’t think UConn can consistently win against good teams when they know that Walker is the only shooter on the team.

MCFinARL
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I watched the whole Pitt-UConn game list night. Kemba Walker is very good. The good news for UConn is that he can get off a shot whenever he wants to. The bad news for UConn is that he wants to shoot every time UConn gets the ball. It seemed to me that UConn’s game plan consisted of giving the ball to Walker and having him shoot on every possession. It can’t be too great for the other UConn players knowing that their only job is to get the ball to Walker so that he can shoot. I don’t think UConn can consistently win against good teams when they know that Walker is the only shooter on the team.

I agree. Last night's game seemed to expose the vulnerability of a team that relies almost entirely on one excellent player--as they meet more high quality teams in their conference schedule, and coaches and players see more game tape, it will be easier for teams to figure out how to beat them. Even if you have to give up 31 points to Walker, if you hold the rest of the team to about the same and can score on the other end of the court, you are all set.

SupaDave
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
ESPN called it an Allen Iverson like performance. I felt no other description could top that comparison.

Wander
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd say you're half right. It's not ideal to be this reliant on one player, however, for UConn, this really is their best option. Compare this season so far to last season's results, and I think this becomes clear. Despite having worse players on average, they're noticeably better this year because of Walker's dominance. Not everyone has a Seth Curry lurking around as a secondary option. :)

I think UConn needs to worry about not giving up so many open 3's before they work on scoring balance.

hurley1
12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd say you're half right. It's not ideal to be this reliant on one player, however, for UConn, this really is their best option. Compare this season so far to last season's results, and I think this becomes clear. Despite having worse players on average, they're noticeably better this year because of Walker's dominance. Not everyone has a Seth Curry lurking around as a secondary option. :)

I think UConn needs to worry about not giving up so many open 3's before they work on scoring balance.

Amen !!!!.........there were open 3's on every posession........

Jarhead
12-28-2010, 11:59 AM
If Walker is the best UConn has for Big East play then they'll be a bubble team or worse based on last nights performance. Pitt's defense must have been Let Walker shoot. He did, a lot, but he hit on 37% overall, and 27% from the three point line. I say that, because on each UConn possession I was rooting for them to get the ball to Walker. By the time the game was over I felt a bit embarrassed for him, but it didn't last long.

ESPN was kind enough to show one of my Duke favorites, Dick Groat, as he was doing the Pitt radio broadcast of the game. I guess he is the reason that I pull for Pitt in Big East play. I pull for Syracuse, too, but I don't know why. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_whistle.gif

bird
12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
What I took away from the game is that Pitt is a serious NCAA contender. I was impressed with the strength and team play in particular.

hurley1
12-28-2010, 01:42 PM
What I took away from the game is that Pitt is a serious NCAA contender. I was impressed with the strength and team play in particular.

they are a contender, but, they have holes in their game too........their execution on both ends is far from excellent.......they are athletic, but, very beatable.......

sdotbarbee
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I just don't see Uconn being a top 5 team, I think Walker makes them a top 25 and maybe top 15 team but that is it. Walker is all they have as far as scoring so the key is let him get his points and just stop everybody else. The difference between a team like Duke and Uconn is the weapons they have on the floor. I would assume that Walker has been the leading scorer in all their games, but Duke on the other hand has had 6 different players be the leading scorer in a game. Leading scorers this season are as follows: Nolan has 3, Kyle has 3, Kyrie has 2, Seth has 1, Mason has 1, and Dawkins has 1 so who do you focus on stopping? Without Kyrie we are a little vulnerable but when he comes back we will be very tough to beat. With KI out it gives a chance for more PT for Seth, Dre, and Thornton which could really help come tourney time.

hurley1
12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I just don't see Uconn being a top 5 team, I think Walker makes them a top 25 and maybe top 15 team but that is it. Walker is all they have as far as scoring so the key is let him get his points and just stop everybody else. The difference between a team like Duke and Uconn is the weapons they have on the floor. I would assume that Walker has been the leading scorer in all their games, but Duke on the other hand has had 6 different players be the leading scorer in a game. Leading scorers this season are as follows: Nolan has 3, Kyle has 3, Kyrie has 2, Seth has 1, Mason has 1, and Dawkins has 1 so who do you focus on stopping? Without Kyrie we are a little vulnerable but when he comes back we will be very tough to beat. With KI out it gives a chance for more PT for Seth, Dre, and Thornton which could really help come tourney time.

i think duke can stop walker........duke's defense is good enough that they don't have to let anyone go......

sdotbarbee
12-28-2010, 02:17 PM
i think duke can stop walker........duke's defense is good enough that they don't have to let anyone go......

I am just saying you don't have to stop him, just make him take difficult shots and don't give the rest of the team easy opportunities. Uconn only has 2 double digit scorers, and only 3 guys shooting 45% or better where Duke has 4 double digit scorers and 7 guys shooting 45% or better. Wow that is an amazing stat, the only guy getting significant minutes that is not shooting better then 45% is Curry.

Kedsy
12-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I am just saying you don't have to stop him, just make him take difficult shots and don't give the rest of the team easy opportunities. Uconn only has 2 double digit scorers, and only 3 guys shooting 45% or better where Duke has 4 double digit scorers and 7 guys shooting 45% or better. Wow that is an amazing stat, the only guy getting significant minutes that is not shooting better then 45% is Curry.

Well, to be fair, effective FG% may be a better way to look at this. Kemba's eFG% is 56.37%, which is pretty good (but not great; good for 20th in the Big East).

Seth's eFG% is 50.8%. In fact, everyone on Duke's team has an eFG% greater than 50% except for Josh. Which as you say is pretty amazing.

Andre, Kyrie, Ryan, Nolan, and Mason (and Tyler) all have better eFG% than Kemba Walker, but Kyle, Miles, Seth (and Josh) do not.

uh_no
12-28-2010, 02:39 PM
A few notes on the game last night:

there were a lot of fouls in the first half (and the game in general) uconn was in BIG foul trouble before halftime.....having oriachi miss most of the first half was not good, and he has not played how he played in maui....we know what we're getting from kemba and most of the team....the team with oriachi rebounding and putting up 10-15 is a hugely different team than the one where he doesn't.....they seemed to not be able to run any offensive sets and took a lot of bad shots.....and I'll chalk a lot of that up right now to PItt's defense

the other half of the equation was 3pt defense....every time uconn brought it close last night....pitt would hit a 3....calhoun has said 3pt defense is a huge weakness and it showed last night

I couldn't have expected much more from the huskies....being so young and playing their first big east game and their first true road game, I think they will get better, and one could note last night that they got down 10 really early, and they never really let the lead get absurd, which is promising.....the team has potential, but they need to have some better shots and need to keep oriachi on the floor

hurley1
12-28-2010, 04:11 PM

i absolutely agree, but, i think duke can deliver much more than just that.......i think duke would eat uconn up.......pitt too........