PDA

View Full Version : "Passing the Dean" - 6:30p ESPNU

msdukie
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
It is mentioned in the Dean/K thread, but probably deserves its own thread so people see it:

"ESPNU College Basketball Special: Passing the Dean airs Wednesday, Dec. 29, at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU from the Greensboro Coliseum. Rob Stone and Jay Bilas. host the 30-minute show as Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski prepares to pass former North Carolina head coach Dean Smith to land second on the all-time wins list. In addition to speaking with Coach K and recounting his coaching history and milestones, there is a tribute to Coach Smith from SportsCentury."

Devilsfan
12-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Didn't that Dean Smith coach when the two hand set shot was popular?

Indoor66
12-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Didn't that Dean Smith coach when the two hand set shot was popular?

Yes, that and the center jump after a made shot.

Kimist
12-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I heard that a Dean Smith basketball team actually went scoreless for an entire half in Cameron Indoor Stadium. :rolleyes:

k

howardlander
12-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I heard that a Dean Smith basketball team actually went scoreless for an entire half in Cameron Indoor Stadium. :rolleyes:

k

True that. I was there with 8 or 9 thousand of my closest friends.

Howard

Indoor66
12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
True that. I was there with 8 or 9 thousand of my closest friends.

Howard

I was there.

howardlander
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I was there.

Very strange game. My 20th birthday. The wikipedia blurb contains this: (Can I quote from wikipedia here?)

This was also the game in which the term "air ball" was invented, as the Cameron Crazies started chanting it after a North Carolina miss.

Howard

Indoor66
12-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Very strange game. My 20th birthday. The wikipedia blurb contains this: (Can I quote from wikipedia here?)

This was also the game in which the term "air ball" was invented, as the Cameron Crazies started chanting it after a North Carolina miss.

Howard

Chickie Yonaker threw it over the goal.

devildeac
12-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Howard

Chickie Yonaker threw it over the goal.

And, according to fairly reputable sources, one of the DBR founders was the originator of that endearing and oft-repeated term:D.

DukieInKansas
12-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I will have to watch this again to see if I get the same impression on a second viewing. It seemed like they spent as much time on Dean Smith as they did on Coach Krzyzewski.

I did enjoy watching the players try to spell Coach K's name. Good job, Miles!

sagegrouse
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I will have to watch this again to see if I get the same impression on a second viewing. It seemed like they spent as much time on Dean Smith as they did on Coach Krzyzewski.

I did enjoy watching the players try to spell Coach K's name. Good job, Miles!

I watched only a portion, and that part was a tribute to Dean. Not inappropriate because the stories after the game will be all about K.

sagegrouse

Devilsfan
12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought it was very classy for UNC to issue a statement by Dean Smith. I hope his reported failing health somehow sees a reversal. Feel better Dean.