PDA

View Full Version : Duke "Game Day" experience

omahadukefan
12-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Hello Duke fans! I've got a question for those of you who are veterans at attending games in CIS. I will be attending my first ever game at CIS for the Maryland game (it's hard to get to Durham when you live in Omaha). I need some advice on "can't miss things" to do on my trip. My time is limited, I'm flying in early Sunday AM and leaving Monday mid morning. What do you recommend for the game day experience? Is the Duke basketball museum open on Sundays? Things that are can't miss on campus/in Durham that I need to see? Best place to get Duke "gear"? I'd really like to get a look at the Duke bball museum that I've seen on TV several times. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Indoor66
12-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello Duke fans! I've got a question for those of you who are veterans at attending games in CIS. I will be attending my first ever game at CIS for the Maryland game (it's hard to get to Durham when you live in Omaha). I need some advice on "can't miss things" to do on my trip. My time is limited, I'm flying in early Sunday AM and leaving Monday mid morning. What do you recommend for the game day experience? Is the Duke basketball museum open on Sundays? Things that are can't miss on campus/in Durham that I need to see? Best place to get Duke "gear"? I'd really like to get a look at the Duke bball museum that I've seen on TV several times. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

DON'T pull a Roy and sleep through the game. :cool:

dukestheheat
12-26-2010, 06:44 PM

...for you to do: be sure you're in your seats a good 1.5-1 hour before tip-off. The reason for that is that the Crazies get on the opponents at that time with all kinds of witty cheers and taunts, and that indeed is part of the Cameron experience. Plus, that extra early time gives you the chance to tour the museum and take in all that before the game; the museum adjoins Cameron and you can't miss it.

Also, for Duke gear: come over to the Bryan Center and to into the Student Bookstore (upper level of the Bryan Center) and get your gear!

Have fun, and congratulations, and Go Duke!

dth.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2010, 06:57 PM
...for you to do: be sure you're in your seats a good 1.5-1 hour before tip-off. The reason for that is that the Crazies get on the opponents at that time with all kinds of witty cheers and taunts, and that indeed is part of the Cameron experience. Plus, that extra early time gives you the chance to tour the museum and take in all that before the game; the museum adjoins Cameron and you can't miss it.

Also, for Duke gear: come over to the Bryan Center and to into the Student Bookstore (upper level of the Bryan Center) and get your gear!

dth.

Note: Cameron now opens one hour prior to games.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM

dth.

Note: Cameron now opens one hour prior to games.
And your short hours presents you with a problem. Sit in your seats for the hour before the game and of course during the game. Take in the concourse, Hall of Honor and the Hall of Fame after the game for as long as they'll let you stay in the building. After you land in the morning, get to campus and see if you can get into the building to tour it early afternoon. Also see if the Bryan Center is open on Sunday afternoon to buy your Duke stuff - check this web site closer to your visit. Right now they only have holiday hours up http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/hours/regular.php

Kimist
12-26-2010, 10:08 PM
1 - As noted, CIS now opens the doors one hour prior to game time. Many people got there early for the recent Elon game, and they were left standing in the cold until the one-hour window opened.

2 - The exhibit area is generally open to the public (normal business hours???) but at some point on game days that area is closed and accessible only to ticket-carrying patrons. You can visit before/during/after the game.

3 - Be sure to allocate some time to walk around the concourse to see the exhibits there. Such include "Bubas years" and history of CIS.

4 - You do not have to visit the Bryan Center to get Duke stuff. They now have a branch in Card Gym (across from Cameron) and although the selection of stuff is not as large, there is PLENTY there to satisfy a Duke fan. You can also order stuff online.

5 - I would suggest trying some Durham cuisine, such as BBQ/fried chicken Bullock's.

k

omahadukefan
12-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the responses! Very helpful and I hope to hear from more of you. I found online mention of the "new" Duke Basketball Museum (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205016667) does anyone know if this opens just one hour before game time as well? Or is it open earlier? It looks like it is not in CIS, so hoping I can get in there prior to one hour before tip. Thanks again!

dukebsbll14
12-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the responses! Very helpful and I hope to hear from more of you. I found online mention of the "new" Duke Basketball Museum (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205016667) does anyone know if this opens just one hour before game time as well? Or is it open earlier? It looks like it is not in CIS, so hoping I can get in there prior to one hour before tip. Thanks again!

and if you're looking for jerseys, team gear, Nike stuff, etc check out the team store in Card.

If you're looking for a good place for breakfast/brunch check out Elmo's on 9th street (right near East Campus).

Not sure about museum times, but me and another guy found an unlocked door behind the Schwartz-Butters building before a game and managed to get in. The cleaning guy didn't seem to care haha.

As for things you can't miss, definitely be in Cameron for the pre-game taunting. Just soak up the entire experience. Btw, where are you sitting? I'll see if I can get me and my friends to give you a shoutout.

-bdbd
12-27-2010, 02:27 AM

On a side note, regarding things "not in or adjacent to Cameron," make sure to allow an hour to walk around the Duke campus. The football, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, tennis and gym facillities are all right within about 250 yards of Cameron. The West Campus dorms start just across the parking lot at CIS, so take a walk towards the Chapel and drink in the gothic architecture, visit the Bryan Student Center, try to see the incredible interior of the Duke Chapel, Duke Gardens (not sure if they are work the extra distance at this time of year), etc.

Also, I always tell people going for their first time, when coming from the airport, it is kinda fun to take I-40 from the RDU airport, then to turn LEFT when you get to 15-501 (and go 4 miles) just to catch a glimpse of the Chapel Hell campus, and just to get the sense of how close the two schools really are. It also gives you a sense of the different "feel" and size of the two schools, poossibly even driving past a generic, cold, huge Dean Dome to get an understanding of the specialness of Cameron.

I do agree with the idea of hitting a Durham eatery like Bullocks for traditional southern fare. If lacking time, then there are several dining options on campus too.

Have fun! We always enjoy beating the snot out of the Terps!!

:eek: :rolleyes: :o

devildeac
12-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Few odds and ends in addition to the above. IIRC, Bullocks is closed on Sundays and perhaps Mondays. Allen and Son on NC 86-N about 3-4 miles N of I-40 is good 'cue and rumors have it that Backyard BBQ (or is it BBQ Pit #2?) just south of I-40 on NC 54 (?) are also good. Don't count on seeing a really lively group of Crazies as the students are not back yet on 1/9. There will be no cheerleaders there that night and I am not sure about the Blue Devil. It's murland night so you can still count on Gary sweating.

4decadedukie
12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
To augment bdbd's fine suggestions -- and recognizing you have a schedule constraint -- here's a <90 minute walking tour of the "heart of Duke" (West Campus only), if your arrival and departure times will accommodate it (does not include the athletic facilities proximate to Cameron):
1. Duke Gardens (must see in daylight)
2. The Chapel (truly magnificent, at any time)
3. Perkins/Bostock Library (and especially the von der Heyden Pavilion and the Gothic Reading Room)
4. The Bryant Center (it's the "student hub" on West, but it is only worth a "walk through")
5. The "old" West Campus union, especially the Alumni Lounge, the Old Trinity Room (usually inaccessible), and the Cambridge Inn (again, only a walk through to illustrate what Duke was like in earlier decades)

Of the foregoing, only the Gardens will potentially consume much time (and -- to a FAR reduced degree -- the Chapel). The remainder are fast "walk throughs" (the Chapel can be, too, but it may be worth <5 extra minutes to go to the Crypt and to take a more-complete tour of the entire area) and they are all VERY close together (check a campus map), so your limited time will be very efficiently applied.

moonpie23
12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
sometimes, after the games, the players actually come back out on the court and you can meet some of them...you'll see the crowd gathering at the dressing room entrance...

El_Diablo
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
The pre-game "interaction" between the crazies and opposing players has tapered off a lot, probably due to the music that gets pumped in during pre-game warmups. So if you can't make it to Cameron a full hour beforehand, don't sweat it.

omahadukefan
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks to all! I appreciate the great advice you've all provided. If anyone else has any thoughts, please keep them coming. I figured the fact it was over winter break would take some of the luster off of the Crazies, but hoping that since it is Maryland that they won't be too quiet....:)

Dukebsbll14 - we are in section 7.