PDA

View Full Version : Shammond Williams playing for Georgia? The Republic?

thebur
06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/32685/20040730/shammond_representing_republic_of_georgia/

A friend sent me this headline, and though I couldn't find the article in full, it seems that ZaZa Pachulia has convinced Shammond to play for the Georgian national team.

I found this especially funny as I have been reading the Paul Shirley book Can I Keep my Jersey about minor league basketball, and Shammond has just showed up in a dinner vignette about Moscow. Apparently teams are trying all the time to get Americans European passports (see-Melchionni) so they can have them on roster without filling one of the two spots each team has reserved for Americans. I wonder if more guys will do this in the future? Anyone think we will see Lee in international competition?

Patrick Yates
06-18-2007, 11:19 AM
I also read the Shirly book. People, read this book. It was the truest indictment of pro sports I have ever read. Shirly is basically one of us. He loves basketball, but he really loves college basketball as opposed to pro hoops. He simply hates the nut case players at the pro level, and it really shines through.

I mean, he really is one of us. He has a mechanical engineering degree and is something of a Dork. He happens to be a six foot 10 dork is all. He got a genetic gift that lets him live our dream. Sure he worked at it, but I could work hard at my game, and I am still a 6-2 pf. Not a huge demand for those. But really, it is like some poster on this board sprouted up, and was given the chance to play hoops. Awesome read.

I think he would make a great big man's coah at some school that really needs a coach.

Patrick Yates

MChambers
06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking I'd like it, and maybe my son would, too. But maybe I wouldn't like him to like it, if you know what I mean.

thebur
06-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking I'd like it, and maybe my son would, too. But maybe I wouldn't like him to like it, if you know what I mean.

Shirley can be pretty irreverant at times, and colorful language does make a showing in the book. There is implied sexuality, discussion of drugs (mostly in how disappointed he is that most NBA players aren't doing drugs with strippers in the locker room, shattering his idea of what they are like) and more than a few curses directed at administration of various minor league basketball organizations.

However, I would totally recommend it to you, and whenever you feel your son is ready to deal with those issues (not glorification of them by any means in the book, btw) then it actually can be a refreshing look for him as to how someone of Shirley's stature and position eshcews most of the vices that can plauge the more spoiled, guaranteed contract players.

P.S.-Shirley is VERY cynical about religion, if that is something important as well. Being the son of a Duke Divinity educated methodist minister, my view of religion is different than his, but his cynicism is well explained and understandable.

MChambers
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I definitely will give it a try and decide whether it makes sense for my son. Given the influences of modern culture, however, it probably won't do any harm.