PDA

View Full Version : White Christmas?....snow where you are?

roywhite
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Snowing pretty hard in the Piedmont Triad...
latest forecast is 3-4 inches

Hope everyone is having a great Holiday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-25-2010, 02:55 PM
It's a wonderful day in this neighborhood! Steady snow fall since before noontime. Family arriving in a short while for the second day of Christmas meals to share.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Not yet, but give me a few more hours. By tomorrow afternoon we're forecast for 4 to 8 inches of white stuff here along I-95 in central north carolina. And it's not from the drug dealers coming up from Florida...

sagegrouse
12-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Looks pretty white out here --

Base 56"
Total for Season 169"
Lifts: 16
Open Trails: 162
Groomed Trails: 81
Conditions: PP

sagegrouse

hurleyfor3
12-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Surprisingly, none in the Front Range foothills. Went up to 8500 feet today, dry. I have to go to the other side of the Continental Divide to get my mail, though, and they've been getting buried.

bluebear
12-25-2010, 08:07 PM
We have a few inches on the ground up in Boston but they're predicting up to 20 tomorrow into Monday..I think I'll be extending my holiday weekend..

-jk
12-25-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping the storm pushes north quickly - I'm driving from NC to DC Monday. So far, just rain in southeast Durham.

-jk

devildeac
12-25-2010, 10:29 PM
About 1" on the grass and low-lying plants in Raleigh. First white Christmas since about 1947. Late, but still white. Three to six inches predicted for total accumulation. I'd happily send 20" of this stuff to DC with -jk.;).

cspan37421
12-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Here in Chattanooga, we got about 6" in our yard, and the kids and I went out there and had a snowball fight, started (and destroyed) a snowman, and even did flying leaps downhill just relying on the backside of our jackets for sledding. The temps rose to the low 30s by afternoon, which made for great packing snow. Like Ralphie, you could almost put an eye out (with a good ice ball).

It was tremendous fun - but then again, I didn't have to drive in it. Our 17th Christmas here, and our first white one. In fact, I'm not sure we've had 6" of snow at once since the "Storm of the Century" in 1993, and that was March, not Dec 25th.

CameronBornAndBred
12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Woke up to snow here in Virginia this morning, picked up again this afternoon. Weather calls for me to drive home to the NC coast with snow all the way tomorrow.

JasonEvans
12-25-2010, 11:54 PM
I live in Atlanta... we never get snow this time of year. It just doesn't...

Wait a second...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/20/00/slideshow_1002011142_IMG_2993_1.jpghttp://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/20/00/slideshow_1002012522_Winter_Weather.JPEG-0eea6.JPG

--Jason "it is not sticking much, but my kids are still in heaven over it" Evans

DukeUsul
12-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Hunkering down for 12"+ and winds 20-30 mph here in Jersey. Should be fun to take my 2.5 year old out for her first sledding.

SuperTurkey
12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm bummed to be missing a prospective 18" at home in Boston, but we may actually get an inch here in Charleston.

moonpie23
12-26-2010, 08:41 AM
about 6" so far in cary, more to come all day long... YAAAAAY......no school!!!

devildeac
12-26-2010, 08:58 AM
At least 6" here in Raleigh and still snowing. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. The city will be "paralyzed" for days.

Olympic Fan
12-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Visiting relatives here in Pinehurst over the holidays.

We missed a white Christmas here ... I went to bed a little after midnight and all we can was a light, cold rain.

Woke up this morning and there was 4-6 inches on the ground and more falling,

I might be stuck here and extra day -- I was planning to drive back to Durham Monday. Probably wait until Tuesday now.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2010, 09:35 AM
In the WS area snow began before noontime yesterday and continues even now though the current rate is "occasional." Last night it was 2 inches/hour.

GLTBD
12-26-2010, 09:54 AM
In Wake Forest I have 4-5 inches. I love it as well as my dogs. My aunt flew in from PA yesterday, she is not happy she came to get away from the snow. Oh well can't please everyone.:)

sagegrouse
12-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm bummed to be missing a prospective 18" at home in Boston, but we may actually get an inch here in Charleston.

I lived in a snowless Charleston my first 18 years, before going off to college. Occasionally a few flakes would be in the air, but nothing like a snowfall. Then I went up to Duke for Angier Duke weekend in March of my senior year (a long, long time ago), and it had snowed 12". The campus was beautiful, notwithstanding my lack of proper footwear, gloves, and a hat. Ah, I said, the frozen north. Snow several times a year and a white campus setting. There was no need to go further north to find a real winter.

False advertising from Duke, I would say. I think we had a couple of 2-3" snowfalls in my four years, not counting a period in which it just sleeted for about three days.

Of course, I have more than made up for it recent years, as this is my eighth winter in the middle of the Rockies. 169 inches so far this year.

sagegrouse

roywhite
12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
The team was supposed to get back together today, 12/26 to resume practice.

I'd say several guys will have a hard time making it to Durham today.

devildeac
12-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I lived in a snowless Charleston my first 18 years, before going off to college. Occasionally a few flakes would be in the air, but nothing like a snowfall. Then I went up to Duke for Angier Duke weekend in March of my senior year (a long, long time ago), and it had snowed 12". The campus was beautiful, notwithstanding my lack of proper footwear, gloves, and a hat. Ah, I said, the frozen north. Snow several times a year and a white campus setting. There was no need to go further north to find a real winter.

False advertising from Duke, I would say. I think we had a couple of 2-3" snowfalls in my four years, not counting a period in which it just sleeted for about three days.

Of course, I have more than made up for it recent years, as this is my eighth winter in the middle of the Rockies. 169 inches so far this year.

sagegrouse

Ha, that's nothing. The Sierras got that much snow in just 1-2 days last weekend.;)

ncexnyc
12-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Went to bed last night and there wasn't a flake in the sky. Woke up this morning and there are several inches of white fluffy snow on there ground here in Fayetteville and it's still coming down. Looks beautiful outside and I haven't seen a car go by yet.

Newton_14
12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
8 inches and counting here at the Boozer home just north of Creedmoor. Kids are having a blast. Started about 9:30 last night and ground was covered before we went to bed.

Sledding this afternoon!

roywhite
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks like the snow is about finished here in the western Triad area; ended up with 7 to 8 inches; the countryside looks gorgeous.

With low temps forecast the next couple days, the snow should last for a while.

gotoguy
12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I live in Atlanta... we never get snow this time of year. It just doesn't...

Wait a second...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/20/00/slideshow_1002011142_IMG_2993_1.jpghttp://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/20/00/slideshow_1002012522_Winter_Weather.JPEG-0eea6.JPG

--Jason "it is not sticking much, but my kids are still in heaven over it" Evans

I think I saw a few reindeer tracks on the rooftops...

Near downtown Atlanta where I live we received about an inch of snow and the ground remains covered this morning. It was Atlanta's first white Christmas since 1882, one hundred thirty years ago!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Looks like the snow is about finished here in the western Triad area; ended up with 7 to 8 inches; the countryside looks gorgeous.

With low temps forecast the next couple days, the snow should last for a while.
Right, you are!

Now is the perfect time to shovel walking paths or paths for car tracks. The snow is soft and can be easily moved along or off the pavement. I got my sidewalk done along with tire paths on the driveway.

A low of 19 degrees tonight will change all that for at least a couple of days. Monday we'll see a high of only 32 degrees and very windy conditions.... might help with some evaporation!

Don't know if it's true for similar suppliers in Lewisville, but the Ace Hardware I patronize has had only 50 pound bags of ice melt for weeks with no information about when more moderate sizes will be back in stock. The ice and snow storms which visited us earlier this month have depleted their supply significantly.

JohnGalt
12-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I lived in a snowless Charleston my first 18 years, before going off to college. Occasionally a few flakes would be in the air, but nothing like a snowfall.

sagegrouse

Generally speaking, you're correct. But last year brought something we hadn't seen since shortly after Hugo. It snowed somewhere between an inch to two inches DOWNTOWN. (And it stuck, no less!)

That is unheard of.

I was eating at a restaurant when it all started....when the entire city seemed to come out of every door or window to prance around in the streets and take pictures of Palmetto trees with snow on them.

Palmetto Trees with snow on them? Now THAT's a weird sight.

SuperTurkey
12-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Generally speaking, you're correct. But last year brought something we hadn't seen since shortly after Hugo. It snowed somewhere between an inch to two inches DOWNTOWN. (And it stuck, no less!)

That is unheard of.

I was eating at a restaurant when it all started....when the entire city seemed to come out of every door or window to prance around in the streets and take pictures of Palmetto trees with snow on them.

Palmetto Trees with snow on them? Now THAT's a weird sight.

Yep, the year of Hugo was a seriously white Christmas. I was 10, and that was a great end to a really not great year (especially for people from IOP and Sullivan's).

Udaman
12-26-2010, 12:45 PM
We are in Norfolk, Va. Was also bummed at missing the 2 ft possible snow in Boston.....but then woke up today. We had 4 inches at 8 a.m. It's been snowing like mad since then. Just measured and we are at 11 inches. Unreal. This is like a major snowfall up North....and the map shows it could do this the rest of the day. I bet Norfolk ends up with 16 plus inches when all is said and done. That....is nuts for around here.

Kids are enjoying it like mad, though we didn't bring our boots, snowpants, or heavy gloves (or sleds, bummer). Still, it is awesome out....and the best possible snowball making snow EVER! We made a snowman, and it took about 10 minutes, and it's bigger than I am.

Awesome.

Enjoy the day everyone - stay at home if you can.

Also, best part of this....by Friday (New Year's Eve) when we will be in Durham, it's going to be near 60. Gotta love the South.

CameronBornAndBred
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
From southwest Virginia to Morehead City on the coast, it never stopped snowing on my drive home today.

Lord Ash
12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice work with the thread, Roy.

Lots of snow here in NJ, and unfortunately I just found out my dad was taken to the hospital... he fine, apparently, but won't be able to leave with the way things are:(

sue71, esq
12-26-2010, 11:34 PM
We are in Norfolk, Va. Was also bummed at missing the 2 ft possible snow in Boston.....but then woke up today. We had 4 inches at 8 a.m. It's been snowing like mad since then. Just measured and we are at 11 inches. Unreal. This is like a major snowfall up North....and the map shows it could do this the rest of the day. I bet Norfolk ends up with 16 plus inches when all is said and done. That....is nuts for around here.

I used to live in Va Beach and worked in Norfolk... that's an all out hysterical panic for that area! There must not be anything left in the grocery stores. I bet nothing reopens until after the New Year.

4decadedukie
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Ahead of the blizzard, we drove from Fairfax County, Virginia, to Hilton Head, South Carolina, late on Christmas Day. Yesterday, we actually had some "serious" flurries -- although no accumulation -- in Hilton Head, immediately proximate to the Atlantic,and it was VERY cold, dank, and wet. In twenty-nine years of Hilton Head vacations and long-weekends -- during every season -- this is THE FIRST time I have seen snow fall at an appreciable rate, although only briefly.

Bob Green
12-29-2010, 01:36 PM
A light snow fell in the Puget Sound area this morning. The Tacoma News Tribune is reporting 1-2" where I live:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2010/12/29/pierce-county-road-report-snow-ice-in-most-places/

DevilAlumna
12-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I can confirm nearly 2" up in the "convergence zone" between Seattle & Everett.

Glad I'm not over in Spokane, where this morning, they were forecasting "blizzard-like conditions," and over 12" today.

DevilWearsPrada
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
I was in Burlington (35 miles from Duke) when it started snowing. It was beautiful snowing and watching it fall.

Now, I just want it to melt!! It melts, the water turns to ice, when the temp drops at night. Just, over the ice. I slid on the ice, Tuesday afternoon, in Chapel Hill. However, CHill, does have alot of hills, peaks and valleys, or it seems to anyway!!!

Snow snow, pretty falling!!!! ICE....... melt and go away!!!

ncexnyc
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Well it's not Christmas anymore, but the white stuff is really come down today, here is fluggy Fayetteville. They've already called off work, so I guess I can go out with my son and throw some snowballs around, maybe put a snowman together.

DukeUsul
01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
There's nary a flake so far here in Durham.