PDA

View Full Version : Great to play at Duke - The Herd

arnie
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
On ESPN Radio - The Herd: In discussing Phil Jackson whining about the Lakers playing on Christmas - comment made to Phil that that 99% of coaching the Lakers was good like "being a Laker, playing at Duke and being a Yankee".

ajgoodfella7
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
While Colin Cowherd has stuck up for Duke multiple times, I still believe that he is one of the least knowledgeable ESPN personalities out there. A lot of the things he says are just because he likes to hear himself talk.

hurleyfor3
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
While Colin Cowherd has stuck up for Duke multiple times, I still believe that he is one of the least knowledgeable ESPN personalities out there. A lot of the things he says are just because he likes to hear himself talk.

And that is different from everyone else at espn because...

NovaScotian
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM

agreed. anyone looking for evidence should only look at his recent rants against john wall for being a scoring point guard because he grew up without a dad.

Duvall
12-24-2010, 01:05 PM
And that is different from everyone else at espn because...

Most of them know more, and all of them talk less.

BD80
12-24-2010, 01:06 PM
While Colin Cowherd has stuck up for Duke multiple times, I still believe that he is one of the least knowledgeable ESPN personalities out there. ...

That's why they team him with Michelle Beadle, she actually knows what she is talking about.

Of course, I admit that it took me a while to realize that :o

JasonEvans
12-24-2010, 01:11 PM
...that 99% of coaching the Lakers was good like "being a Laker, playing at Duke and being a Yankee".

I don't understand this comment. What does this mean?

-Jason

Newton_14
12-24-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't understand this comment. What does this mean?

-Jason

I took it to mean that the privilege of coaching the Lakers is a great blessing and one is fortunate to coach the Lakers, like one is fortunate and blessed to play at Duke or for the Yankees. So one living in the Penthouse should not complain for having to play on National TV on Christmas with the world tuned in and watching.

arnie
12-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I took it to mean that the privilege of coaching the Lakers is a great blessing and one is fortunate to coach the Lakers, like one is fortunate and blessed to play at Duke or for the Yankees. So one living in the Penthouse should not complain for having to play on National TV on Christmas with the world tuned in and watching.

Yes that is exactly what he was preaching - pretty neat that he put us in the same company as the other kings of sport.

cspan37421
12-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Colin Cowherd: often wrong, but never in doubt.

mikegismynewhero
12-24-2010, 06:05 PM
colin cowherd makes excellent points and is realistic michelle beadle is all emotion when it comes to topics..take the lebron thing for instance...i love colin and i agree with 95% of what he says

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2010, 06:07 PM
It's a heckuva compliment. Take it at face value.

dukeballer2294
12-24-2010, 07:35 PM
i for 1 am a follower of cowherd and listen to his opening segment every day before school. I may differ on my opinion on certain subjects but he always keeps me entertained

Duke: A Dynasty
12-24-2010, 08:59 PM
colin cowherd makes excellent points and is realistic michelle beadle is all emotion when it comes to topics..take the lebron thing for instance...i love colin and i agree with 95% of what he says

i for 1 am a follower of cowherd and listen to his opening segment every day before school. I may differ on my opinion on certain subjects but he always keeps me entertained

I love Cowherd as well. One of my favorite people to listen to. He has openly said on his radio show before they want him to say crazy stuff that will get people going whether he believe it or not.

DMV2434
12-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Its one thing to say some things to get a reaction but Cowherd has said some really dumb ignorant things recently about John Wall
(http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/colin_cowherd_rants_on_john_wa.html) and in the past about Sean Taylor (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/11/colin_cowherd_on_sean_taylor.html) after he died.

Here's another attack on Wall and his dead father. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/colin_cowherd_now_doesnt_like.html)

Starter
12-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Cowherd's a disgrace. The Wall stuff was awful. Everything he says is designed to get a rise out of people, so I think he's trolling the Duke haters there. He can keep his "compliment."

bjornolf
12-25-2010, 07:02 AM
He seems to waffle on Duke. Sometimes he says we're great, but before we won in 2010, he went on several rants claiming Duke was overrated and getting too many 1 seeds and weren't deserving of our seeds cause we kept getting knocked out too early, and that maybe K was past his prime.

moonpie23
12-25-2010, 08:03 AM
i listen to colin because he's in the time slot that's convenient....

he goes on rants about everyone good and bad, but the week BEFORE the final four he said he thought duke could win it all because they have 3 scorers....plain and simple...

:)

NovaScotian
12-25-2010, 12:11 PM
i listen to colin because he's in the time slot that's convenient....

he goes on rants about everyone good and bad, but the week BEFORE the final four he said he thought duke could win it all because they have 3 scorers....plain and simple...

:)

this is exactly the problem - cowherd comes up with one point to back himself up, claiming his reasoning is 'plain and simple,' when in fact it is ALWAYS much more complicated than that.

elvis14
12-25-2010, 12:42 PM
On ESPN Radio - The Herd: In discussing Phil Jackson whining about the Lakers playing on Christmas - comment made to Phil that that 99% of coaching the Lakers was good like "being a Laker, playing at Duke and being a Yankee".

I know it was meant as a compliment but I really don't like Duke to be compared to the Yankee$. Second time this year I've heard someone make this type of comparison and I didn't like it last time either.

As for Colin, I find him entertaining sometimes but he has never struck me as one of the smarter sportscasters.

diveonthefloor
12-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I know it was meant as a compliment but I really don't like Duke to be compared to the Yankee$. Second time this year I've heard someone make this type of comparison and I didn't like it last time either.

I agree 100%.
Yanks achieved their recent success because of the slanted economics of baseball.
Duke's success is has been based on the fruits of decades of hard work and really dedicated people.
Now if he were comparing to the Yanks of the 20s through the early 60s, I would take that compliment.

SilkyJ
12-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I love Cowherd as well. One of my favorite people to listen to. He has openly said on his radio show before they want him to say crazy stuff that will get people going whether he believe it or not.

You like, excuse me, *love*, a guy who says crazy stuff that he doesn't believe in? Why?

Call me crazy but I prefer genuine analysis, responsible journalism and not abusing the fact that you have a microphone/platform.