PDA

View Full Version : Kanter really, really, really wants to play at Kentucky

JasonEvans
12-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I dunno whether to believe this, but his father says Kanter wants to play at Kentucky so badly (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter/story/kanter-will-stay-at-kentucky-if-asked-to-sit-out-a-year), that he would skip the NBA draft to do it.

“Enes would do anything to play and help UK, his teammates and fans,” Mehmet Kanter wrote. “In the last two years, one thing me and Enes never discussed was him being pro. He didn’t mention to me about NBA or draft and I guarantee you as a father – if that’s the NCAA's decision Enes will be a sophomore next year in UK.”

--Jason "whew, he would be a bit of a stud at UK next year!" Evans

SuperTurkey
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I dunno whether to believe this, but his father says Kanter wants to play at Kentucky so badly (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/feed/2010-09/enes-kanter/story/kanter-will-stay-at-kentucky-if-asked-to-sit-out-a-year), that he would skip the NBA draft to do it.

Why would he take a pay cut to go to the NBA?

oldnavy
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM

He won't get to the NBA unless he plays at UK... didn't you know that Calipari is the only way to the NBA??? He gets players ready for the NBA, so Enes HAS to play at least one year there... :rolleyes:

CLW
12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

They are trying a PR blitz to get public sympathy on their side to go along with the "Cam Newton" like defense ($ went to parents/I didn't know it would make me ineligible).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Ineligible is ineligible. It doesn't expire, unless I misunderstand the situation...

JMarley50
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Hahaha! Well said! :D

Lord Ash
12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. And saying things like "In the last two years we've never discussed him being a pro" doesn't make it sound ANY more truthful.

Promises in the world of sports, especially professional sports, are not worth very much at all. I am sorry, but a "father's word" doesn't count for much either in that world.

Duvall
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM

They are trying a PR blitz to get public sympathy on their side to go along with the "Cam Newton" like defense ($ went to parents/I didn't know it would make me ineligible).

Exactly so. It would be more accurate to say that Kanter really, really wants everyone to think that he really, really, really wants to play at Kentucky. And even then, I think we know exactly how much a midseason pledge to return for the following season means when coming from a presumptive high draft pick.

diveonthefloor
12-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Let alone the pending lockout.
He ain't gonna play in the NBA next year no matter what.
He will play in the NBA in 2012-2013...and the best way to improve his draft status/initial NBA salary is to play for Madame Calipari.

Duvall
12-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Let alone the pending lockout.
He ain't gonna play in the NBA next year no matter what.

You're overestimating the lockout. NBPA will fold quickly; they always do.

BD80
12-24-2010, 01:22 PM

But the owners will hold out at least for 1/2 the season. They will then only pay the players 1/2 the salary for that season and still get a full slate of playoff revenue for which the players are paid a fixed, low price. And the attendance average for the half season should be higher than over a full season.

It will be amusing to see the number of multi-millionaires who struggle without their regular checks. Sure, most of the players will be fine, but there will be a few players with the bling and the posse and multiple child support payments that will publicly complain and will perpetuate the stereotype (as did Latrelle Sprewell a few years ago), which will play into the owners' hands.

sagegrouse
12-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Lessee. What percent of NBA players go through a bankruptcy within a few years of leaving the NBA? How much do you think players and the association have saved up or collected to cover missing a season? The NBPA mostly just runs out of money, and the players need a paycheck.

sagegrouse

dynastydefender
01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Kentucky. Next Slide.

Duvall
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Kentucky. Next Slide.

I agree - when I think of players passing up NBA riches to remain in college, John Calipari's Kentucky program just leaps to mind.

SilkyJ
01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
kentucky. Next slide.

don't feed the troll