PDA

View Full Version : Ole Roy Can Recruit In His Sleep

airowe
12-23-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/12/23/roy-williams-can-recruit-players-in-his-sleep/

JasonEvans
12-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I generally strive to put meaningful content into my posts and not just reply with a single line...

But in this case all I can say is...

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!

--Jason "great work, airowe!! Any idea who the recruit was?" Evans

airowe
12-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I know who it was, but want us to be able to win that battle fair and square. If you follow my twitter, you'd know.

kong123
12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.news-press.com/article/20101223/SS05/12230363/City-of-Palms-Notes

I know it is fun to joke about, but if I committed to a school and the coach who coached a game the night before, got up and left his house at 4:50 AM to come and watch me play at 8:20 in the morning, I guess that would be quite flattering.

"I'm just showing my support," Williams said. "He's part of my family and why should I not want to see someone who's part of my family?"

Shabbazz is down there too, wonder if he had anything to do with the trip?

"North Carolina men's basketball coach Roy Williams was among the handful of people who arrived for Wednesday's 8:20 a.m. game between Norfolk Christian and Whitney Young. Norfolk Christian's James McAdoo signed with North Carolina in November.

Williams didn't get much sleep because the Tar Heels beat William & Mary on Tuesday night, and he left his home at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday."

SuperTurkey
12-23-2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/12/23/roy-williams-can-recruit-players-in-his-sleep/

Maybe you should delete "Anthony's" comment. It's disgusting and bigoted.

PSurprise
12-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I was going to respond to this thread but I think I'll zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

jipops
12-23-2010, 09:51 PM
This is hilarious. But honestly, I don't see how these coaches do it sometimes. Coach through a game with the usual intensity, go through post-game stuff, then off to a recruiting trip, come back and practice with your current team while trying to get better as the season progresses while at the same time trying keep tabs on the future of the program... deep breath. Time management is obviously a pretty big deal, which maybe is part of Roy's problem these days? Perhaps Airowe is on to something here?

tele
12-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Like the saying says, eighty percent of success in life is just showing up, and according to ol' Roy, the rest is gettin a little shuteye.

ScreechTDX1847
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Meh. Nothing to see here really. Wow, Roy yawned and dozed off.

hudlow
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
...and represent their schools.

But, shucks, I guess it's OK 'cause it's ol' Roy.

You know what I mean?

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I couldn't help myself... perhaps the funniest part are the folks on IC talking about how dedicated Ol Roy is. Quite amusing.

BD80
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Even from the tweets, I couldn't figure out who the recruit is. A little help?

I think this is a huge deal. ol' roy has assistants to plan out everything, all he had to do was go from stadium to limo to private plane to limo to hotel room to limo to high school. ol' roy couldn't even feign interest in the kid?

This is like going to one of your own children's sporting events. I see a lot of parents there just to "be there." It is worth something, but not as much as when you can engage the child in conversation later about the event. Maybe that's why ol' roy had his assistant there, so he could pretend later that he had paid attention.

If I were the recruit, I would be pissed. He gets the embarrassment of being connected to ol' roy's "nap time." At least he won't get snowed any more into believing that ol' roy is sincere

kong123
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM

I think this is a huge deal. ol' roy has assistants to plan out everything, all he had to do was go from stadium to limo to private plane to limo to hotel room to limo to high school. ol' roy couldn't even feign interest in the kid?

This is like going to one of your own children's sporting events. I see a lot of parents there just to "be there." It is worth something, but not as much as when you can engage the child in conversation later about the event. Maybe that's why ol' roy had his assistant there, so he could pretend later that he had paid attention.

If I were the recruit, I would be pissed. He gets the embarrassment of being connected to ol' roy's "nap time." At least he won't get snowed any more into believing that ol' roy is sincere

I am sure the recruit it pissed. He is probably mad that he choose to go to UNC and not Duke. At Duke, the coaches stay awake during HS basketball games. They are obviously better coaches and better people because of the way they scheduled their games and their freedom to arrive early and sleep later than Ol' Roy. What a noob!

airowe
12-24-2010, 11:47 AM

It was Alex Murphy <--

devildeac
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd love to see this used to our advantage. Rewind to several years ago when certain coaches "supposedly" used K's "absence" against him when he was coaching the Olympic team and not contacting/watching our recruits during official contact periods. Now ol' roy is yawning and dozing off while evaluating players he is recruiting. Seems fair to me!

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/laughing/lmao.gif

diveonthefloor
12-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I am sure the recruit it pissed. He is probably mad that he choose to go to UNC and not Duke. At Duke, the coaches stay awake during HS basketball games. They are obviously better coaches and better people because of the way they scheduled their games and their freedom to arrive early and sleep later than Ol' Roy. What a noob!

Yeah, it really isn't fair to Roy.

But if Coach K was caught doing the same thing, holy crap it would be all over the national news outlets.

Sorry but I am still chuckling 12 hours after I first read this.

JMarley50
12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
This is hilarious. But honestly, I don't see how these coaches do it sometimes. Coach through a game with the usual intensity, go through post-game stuff, then off to a recruiting trip, come back and practice with your current team while trying to get better as the season progresses while at the same time trying keep tabs on the future of the program... deep breath. Time management is obviously a pretty big deal, which maybe is part of Roy's problem these days? Perhaps Airowe is on to something here?

I think this video could prove exactly that. When you start looking at all of the issues he is having right now, I think its easy to draw the conclusion that maybe he is trying to do too much himself. He could have accomplished the same thing without actually making that trip himself. The recruit knows the assistants, and would know that Roy obviously sent him. Therefore... the kid would still know that they came to see him and cared. It sends a much better message than Roy going and sleeping.

Maybe Kong could provide some insight into this theory, and the roles of the assistants at UNC. I don't want to jump to conclusions just because I don't hear a lot about them. I just know that as far as Duke is concerned, the assistants play a very large role and have a lot of responsibility. K regularly gives them credit for a large part of our success.

oldnavy
12-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Reminds me of Ol Roy in the G'Town game in the 2007 tourny! ;)

kong123
12-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I think this video could prove exactly that. When you start looking at all of the issues he is having right now, I think its easy to draw the conclusion that maybe he is trying to do too much himself. He could have accomplished the same thing without actually making that trip himself. The recruit knows the assistants, and would know that Roy obviously sent him. Therefore... the kid would still know that they came to see him and cared. It sends a much better message than Roy going and sleeping.

Maybe Kong could provide some insight into this theory, and the roles of the assistants at UNC. I don't want to jump to conclusions just because I don't hear a lot about them. I just know that as far as Duke is concerned, the assistants play a very large role and have a lot of responsibility. K regularly gives them credit for a large part of our success.

He was down at the City of Palms tourney where many 5* High School player are competing. While he showed up early to see his prized recruit play an early game, I am also sure he was there to see SM play. Roy is really making a big play for him, like all of the other elite programs currently are. You send your assistants and Roy will go himself. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

hudlow
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
You send your assistants and Roy will go himself.

Why let someone else embarrass your program when you can do it yourself...?

hud

camion
12-24-2010, 04:33 PM
He was down at the City of Palms tourney where many 5* High School player are competing. While he showed up early to see his prized recruit play an early game, I am also sure he was there to see SM play. Roy is really making a big play for him, like all of the other elite programs currently are. You send your assistants and Roy will go himself. Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Who are these assistants you speak of? I only saw one Duke assistant in the video, sitting beside coach K.

Starter
12-25-2010, 03:20 AM

I think what he's trying to say is that Williams' program may be a bit dull right now, but don't sleep on him.

77devil
12-25-2010, 07:46 AM
I am sure the recruit it [sic] pissed. He is probably mad that he choose to go to UNC and not Duke. At Duke, the coaches stay awake during HS basketball games. They are obviously better coaches and better people because of the way they scheduled their games and their freedom to arrive early and sleep later than Ol' Roy. What a noob!

I think you may have misunderstood the reason for the recruit's reaction. More likely he is pissed if he has committed to the train wreck that is currently UNC basketball.

Why don't you relax while we have a little fun with Ol' Roy.

DevilHorns
12-25-2010, 09:58 AM
airowe's blog now linked to foxsports for this footage. excellent!

WiJoe
12-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I am sure the recruit it pissed. He is probably mad that he choose to go to UNC and not Duke.

Too late now. Recruit's mistake.

At Duke, the coaches stay awake during HS basketball games. They are obviously better coaches and better people because of the way they scheduled their games and their freedom to arrive early and sleep later than Ol' Roy.

Finally coming around to Dukies way of thinking.

What a noob!

You shouldn't talk about Huck like that.

Mike Corey
12-25-2010, 11:13 AM
You snooze, you lose.

Devilsfan
12-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Great answer Hudlow. Could be the best reponse I've read in months. Chris, Wojo, and Nat each represent represent us far better than most HCs represent their respective institutions. In fact for all practicle purposes being an assistant at Duke is much more prestigious, especially with the programs success, than being a HC at most universities INHO.

Gthoma2a
12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I bet someone slipped him a Pepsi.

Devilsfan
12-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Of course he's sleeping. He's waiting for K to pick the talent then he will try to convince them to come to carolina instead of Duke. It's 'ol roys' MO and everyone knows it.

devildeac
12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
I bet someone slipped him a Pepsi.

Must have been caffeine-free.;)

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/pepsi.gif

Devilsfan
12-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Dear heels' fans please send your coach some five hour energy.

SilkyJ
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM
"North Carolina men's basketball coach Roy Williams was among the handful of people who arrived for Wednesday's 8:20 a.m. game between Norfolk Christian and Whitney Young. Norfolk Christian's James McAdoo signed with North Carolina in November.

Many people are at work by 8:20am. Not impressed.

Williams didn't get much sleep because the Tar Heels beat William & Mary on Tuesday night, and he left his home at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday."

Traders on the West Coast are in to work by 5am to get ready for the market open at 6am, so the fact the he got up at 4:50 doesn't mean much to me. Go to bed an hour early if you're getting up early.

All that said, the fact that you are so defensive on this tells me you think this is a bigger deal than any of us probably do. We're just having fun.

nctalkinghead
12-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Too much "Late Night with Roy":)

CharlestonDevil
12-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Too much "Late Night with Roy":)

Hahahahaha. Excellent comment.

Although I'll cut Roy a little slack on this one, as I'm sure coaching, recruiting cross country, and losing games is a full time job, flip video cameras are useful tools for catching slip-ups.

After all he is Ol(d) Roy.

Devilsfan
12-26-2010, 12:27 PM
You should cut him som slack. His life is in more ruins than a post earthquake tropical island and he justy realized he only makes $2+ Million. This is awful and he may be trying to sleep away his depression.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
You should cut him som slack. His life is in more ruins than a post earthquake tropical island and he justy realized he only makes $2+ Million. This is awful and he may be trying to sleep away his depression.

To be fair, you wouldn't sleep very well either if your season balanced on the back of Larry Drew II or if you had helped to hype a struggling freshman onto the pre-season AA team.

Sometimes, Roy must wonder what Roy was thinking.

Bluedevil114
12-26-2010, 04:55 PM
To be fair, you wouldn't sleep very well either if your season balanced on the back of Larry Drew II or if you had helped to hype a struggling freshman onto the pre-season AA team.

According to Roy this was not his fault. He is blaming it on his team for not learning the secondary break and staying up too late watching film to correct it.

Devilsfan
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Roy thinking? Never. Was he thinking before he threw the visiting student from Presb U out of the smith center for shouting "miss it"? Was he thinking before he threw out the "F" Bomb in a press conference? Does he think about a recruit before one of his assistants tells him he is being recruited by Duke? I truley don't believe he has learned how to think first and then react only after evaluating a situation. He just ain't that smart IMHO.

Kedsy
12-26-2010, 11:17 PM
...he threw the visiting student from Presb U out of the smith center for shouting "miss it"?

This allegation is untrue. According to reputable news outlet accounts, the visiting student shouted, "Don't miss it." ;)

DukieTiger
12-26-2010, 11:47 PM

He seemed to be sleeping just fine to me :cool:

In all seriousness though, I sure am glad there weren't bloggers w/ cameras in some of my collegiate classrooms...`

striker219
12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
This allegation is untrue. According to reputable news outlet accounts, the visiting student shouted, "Don't miss it." ;)

Wow, thank god there aren't any posters from IC allowed inside Roy's Sanctuary; the things he would hear...the seats that would empty...

Kfanarmy
12-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Why let someone else embarrass your program when you can do it yourself...?

hud Classic comeback.

Never good to fall asleep with your mouth open when there are cameras around. It is embarassing and I'm sure has happened to everyone, but Roy W represents the program...

SupaDave
12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Classic comeback.

Never good to fall asleep with your mouth open when there are cameras around. It is embarassing and I'm sure has happened to everyone, but Roy W represents the program...

Does Roy really represent the program? I thought hard about this when I saw this comment. Sure he does as coach but is that what UNC is selling right now? Roy? I'm not so sure. Until last year it was still a bit more about the players - and it was supposed to be that way this year too, but someone failed to live up to the hype...

OldPhiKap
12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Does Roy really represent the program? I thought hard about this when I saw this comment. Sure he does as coach but is that what UNC is selling right now? Roy? I'm not so sure. Until last year it was still a bit more about the players - and it was supposed to be that way this year too, but someone failed to live up to the hype...

Agreed, it can't be Roy. He doesn't give a $#@^ about Carolina, after all.

hudlow
12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Roy thinks he represents the program....when he's awake.

hud