PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee wins dunk contest

Delmer
12-22-2010, 08:43 AM
There's a rather long ad at the beginning of the clip. The guy helping Marshall is Andy McMillian.

http://vodpod.com/watch/5173252-duke-signee-marshall-plumlee-wins-city-of-palms-dunk-contest-crazy-dunks

aro24
12-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I like how at the end, when the little boy asks for an autograph, Marshall politely asks if he would wait for him to share the trophy with his teammates and then he would come back and sign for him. Sounds like he is not only a good player but a good person.
Congrats Marshall!

ARo24

slower
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I like how at the end, when the little boy asks for an autograph, Marshall politely asks if he would wait for him to share the trophy with his teammates and then he would come back and sign for him. Sounds like he is not only a good player but a good person.
Congrats Marshall!

ARo24

Marshall looks like a fantastic kid. Great to see somebody enjoying themself AND giving props and celebrating with friends/teammates. Outstanding!

Reddevil
12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Remember when 7 footers didn't move like that? Wow, the athleticism of some big guys now is amazing. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee!

SupaDave
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
The first time I've seen Marshall since the summer and he's looking like it's been a good 6 months.

Never had any idea that Marshall would be the Kyle Singler of dunking. Bodes well for many more youtube clips on the Planet.

Supa "how many baby goals did the Plumlee kids destroy" Dave

Daniel tosh
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Here is some more footage of Marshall and the other contestants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrVehkjKtug&feature=channel

tylervinyard
12-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Did anyone else think that the overall quality of dunks was better than anything the NBA dunk contest has had to offer recently?

Also, in this video Marshall doesn't seem to be as unathletic as we've been led to believe. I wonder if his unathleticism has something to do with him staying on the ground using better footwork than his brothers ending in layups instead of dunks?

juise
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I noted that a lot of his dunks were very similar to those that we saw at CTC this year... particularly from his brothers. I like it.

Bluedog
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I noted that a lot of his dunks were very similar to those that we saw at CTC this year... particularly from his brothers. I like it.

Yeah, he credited his brothers for the dunk ideas. While certainly impressive, to me it looks like he won the dunk contest based on his creativity, not his superior athleticism to the other dunkers. The other guys from a pure athletic standpoint were much more impressive (obviously expected; and a 7' guy doesn't look as impressive flying through the air no matter what). In any event, glad to have him on board!

chrisheery
12-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Seriously? His head was above the rim on the flip up alley oop. He can really get up, no question.

Bluedog
12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Seriously? His head was above the rim on the flip up alley oop. He can really get up, no question.

I wasn't saying that he didn't display any hops or anything. He certainly showed off athleticism. Just that, in my opinion, the other guys' dunks were even more "athletic" moves, while he won *mostly* based on originality and creativity. That's what put him over the edge. Nothing wrong with that. It was just a comparison to the other guys - on an absolute level, he certainly can get up. And Marshall still must improve if he wants to get up to Miles' level of vertical - who has the best on the team. ;)

NSDukeFan
12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I wasn't saying that he didn't display any hops or anything. He certainly showed off athleticism. Just that, in my opinion, the other guys' dunks were even more "athletic" moves, while he won *mostly* based on originality and creativity. That's what put him over the edge. Nothing wrong with that. It was just a comparison to the other guys - on an absolute level, he certainly can get up. And Marshall still must improve if he wants to get up to Miles' level of vertical - who has the best on the team. ;)

How exciting that the "least athletic Plumlee?" can get up like that. Very promising for the future.

JMarley50
12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
It looks like he is starting to put on a little weight in my opinion. Hopefully he will find the same success in the weight room as his brothers. He will dominate if he does!

magjayran
12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Marshall definitely had some nice dunks in there and I'm excited to see him in a Duke uniform but there must have been some misses from his opponents because that Shaquille kid was looking nasty and I've seen Deuce Bello throw some crazy stuff down in person before.

Still congrats to Marshall.

cptnflash
12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the hours of preparation time that went into this could have been better spent elsewhere? Like at the free throw line, for example? I for one would rather not have yet another athletic big that can win dunk contests but is not fundamentally sound and can't hit free throws.

And on that note, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Bob Green
12-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the hours of preparation time that went into this could have been better spent elsewhere? Like at the free throw line, for example? I for one would rather not have yet another athletic big that can win dunk contests but is not fundamentally sound and can't hit free throws.

Merry Christmas! What evidence have you seen to conclude Marshall can't hit free throws? At the City of Palms, Marshall was 3-4 in one game, 1-2 in another, while not going to the line in a third game. Unfortunately, the stats for Christ School's fourth game are not posted, but 4-6 (66.7%) is an okay number, although the data available is too limited to draw any conclusions.

Do you know his season stats from the free throw line?

Acymetric
12-24-2010, 04:38 PM

Presumably these kids like to have fun, too. If during some of his free time he wants to work on big dunks instead of playing Halo or watching tv I have no problems at all. I'm confident he's putting plenty of work into the other areas of his game until I hear something to the contrary (which I don't expect to).

Devilsfan
12-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Why did his stock as rated by the recruiters drop so much? I think he went from a top 10-20 ranking in his class to barely in the top 100. Not that most teams wouldn't want a top 100 kid at their schools but "We Are Duke!".

Kedsy
12-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Merry Christmas! What evidence have you seen to conclude Marshall can't hit free throws? At the City of Palms, Marshall was 3-4 in one game, 1-2 in another, while not going to the line in a third game. Unfortunately, the stats for Christ School's fourth game are not posted, but 4-6 (66.7%) is an okay number, although the data available is too limited to draw any conclusions.

Do you know his season stats from the free throw line?

I assume CptnFlash was obliquely referring to Marshall's brother Mason (or possibly both Mason and Miles), although personally I think it was a little bit of a low blow.

Bob Green
12-24-2010, 09:24 PM
....although personally I think it was a little bit of a low blow.

I agree, which is why I called Cptnflash on his post. Hopefully he responds.

Kedsy
12-24-2010, 11:13 PM
I agree, which is why I called Cptnflash on his post. Hopefully he responds.

Ah, sorry I underestimated you.