PDA

View Full Version : Rick Pitino thinks concussions are no big deal

JasonEvans
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Here is a story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Rick-Pitino-sends-a-dangerous-message-about-conc?urn=ncaab-298621) about Rick's opinion.

"It's the 17th concussion we've had this year," Pitino told a roomful of reporters. "I've been coaching now 35 years and I've seen five concussions in 35 years. Now the new thing is everybody has a concussion. If you walk out and slightly brush the door, you have a concussion. That's the way it is today."

--Jason "I just don't think Rick realizes how serious an issue concussions can be" Evans

Acymetric
12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Here is a story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Rick-Pitino-sends-a-dangerous-message-about-conc?urn=ncaab-298621) about Rick's opinion.

--Jason "I just don't think Rick realizes how serious an issue concussions can be" Evans

Especially for younger people whose brains are still developing, which most certainly includes college students. My younger sister had a concussion several years ago and we sometimes suspect that there are still lingering side effects. Wouldn't send a kid to Pitino in a million years (not that I would have before this).

4decadedukie
12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
I will leave it to others to castigate Coach Pitino for his ignorance; the fact is only recently have the coaches and administrators who govern professional and intercollegiate athletics begun to take concussions with the seriousness they warrant. With this said, were I the father of a potential Division I basketball player, Louisville now would be instantaneously excised from consideration (in the unlikely circumstance that it were ever included).

weezie
12-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Looks like another thread ripe for puns.

Pitino should just focus his energies on getting Puerto Rico into game shape. He's looking more and more like a dimwit every day.

juise
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks like another thread ripe for puns.

Indeed. This may be a little off the mark, but I submit the following from Austin Powers via IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118655/quotes?qt0367885):

[Austin and Vanessa see a man decapitated]
Austin Powers: Not the time to lose one's head.
Vanessa Kensington: No.
Austin Powers: That's not the way to get ahead in life.
Vanessa Kensington: No.
Austin Powers: It's a shame he wasn't more headstrong.
Vanessa Kensington: Hmm.
Austin Powers: He'll never be the head of a major corporation.
Vanessa Kensington: Okay, that'll do.
Austin Powers: Okay.

I would say that Rick won't get "ahead" in coaching by ignoring concussions and that, with his disregard for player health, he will never be the "head" of gold metal international team (unless Roy gets appointed to coach Team USA after K steps down). ;)

JStuart
12-21-2010, 05:42 PM

And don't we have court records that indicate that Rick can't keep his head but for, oh, 15 seconds?
(Just couldn't resist!)

ajgoodfella7
12-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Seems to me like Coach Pitino is just trying to stay a-head of the curve.

CEF1959
12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
In fairness, I don't think the article supports the proposition that "Rick Pitino thinks concussions are no big deal." I think he's pointing out the increase in diagnoses, which he believes sometimes are over-reactions.

I think a more apt criticism of his comment is that he's a non-doctor second-guessing medical diagnoses and overlooking the other obvious conclusion from the jump in numbers: Concussions have been underdiagnosed for years.

dukedoc
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Having cared for many young athletes (albeit not top notch Division I types), I do feel that concussions are a serious issue. The increase in diagnoses is likely a combination of increased public awareness, the litigious nature of our society and consequent defensive medicine (over-calling things to be safe), and also, and perhaps most importantly, because of mounting research that shows that even mild isolated incidents could have important consequences. Back in the day, we didn't make so much out of "mild" concussions, not because we were tougher, but because we just didn't know better.

WiJoe
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
What was the question again?

oldnavy
12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Having cared for many young athletes (albeit not top notch Division I types), I do feel that concussions are a serious issue. The increase in diagnoses is likely a combination of increased public awareness, the litigious nature of our society and consequent defensive medicine (over-calling things to be safe), and also, and perhaps most importantly, because of mounting research that shows that even mild isolated incidents could have important consequences. Back in the day, we didn't make so much out of "mild" concussions, not because we were tougher, but because we just didn't know better.

My youngest son (18) sustained a concussion playing basketball over a year ago. He is still dealing with the sequela of the injury. He has had difficulty with sleeping, mood swings and concentration. I am happy to say that he is 99.9% back to baseline, but these brain injuries are very serious and scary.

Pitino was probably just fussing about the increase in the diagnosis. We used to just call it "getting your bell rung" back in the day. Now we know a lot more about brain injuries and the potential lasting effects. That is a good thing, not something to disparage.

killerleft
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Can anyone on this board say they have not been concussed? Perhaps we, none of us, are without sufficient injury that our words can be trusted.:p

One thing I do know is that my sister fell off a barstool when she was three and broke her collarbone. I'll bet she was concussed, too. And that would explain a lot about her behavior in subsequent years (she's 52 now). Of course, falling off a barstool at three years old would help explain a lot about anybody:eek:* She loves beer to this day, especially expensive brews.

*The barstool in question was of the breakfast-nook variety.

oldnavy
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Can anyone on this board say they have not been concussed? Perhaps we, none of us, are without sufficient injury that our words can be trusted.:p

One thing I do know is that my sister fell off a barstool when she was three and broke her collarbone. I'll bet she was concussed, too. And that would explain a lot about her behavior in subsequent years (she's 52 now). Of course, falling off a barstool at three years old would help explain a lot about anybody:eek:* She loves beer to this day, especially expensive brews.

*The barstool in question was of the breakfast-nook variety.

I have had two concussions. One in the 9th grade and one in the 12th. Both playing football. I have to say, it is one of the weirdest feelings you can have. Totally unable to form short term memory or even remember what day or month it is. I was able to remember people and was aware of my surroundings, and was able to logically deduce what day it was, because I was playing football and we played the games on Fridays, but I could not remember the play called from the time the huddle broke until I got to the line of scrimmage. I took myself out of the game after about 3 plays. I do not think I had long term effects from either, but who knows... maybe I could have made something of myself if not for the injuries! Thank goodness the injury was bad enough to make me a UNC fan!!

OldPhiKap
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Pitino doesn't think you need to guard the inbounding player, either, so I'm not sure I put a lot of stock in what he thinks or doesn't think.

thenameisbond
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Give Pitino a break.

He was dropped on his head frequently as a child, but it was no big deal.

killerleft
12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Pitino doesn't think you need to guard the inbounding player, either, so I'm not sure I put a lot of stock in what he thinks or doesn't think.

With the superb Grant Hill running the baseline, leaving only four Wildcats to defend the amazing Christian Laettner, the result would have probably been a resounding dunk.:)

So the correct answer for Pitino was c) we lose either way, might as well watch Thomas Hill react to the Duke win.