PDA

View Full Version : Tron - Legacy (Spoilers)

Udaman
12-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Sigh.

Of all the movies that came out this holiday season, I was probably most looking forward to this one. I have fond memories of the original movie. I really, really enjoyed it. I remember playing the video game. I liked the catch phrases of "end of program" and "greetings and salutations." It was fun.

I thought this one would be great.

Sigh.

In two words, I would describe this movie as "utterly disappointing." The storyline is so banal it almost defies belief. I honestly think I could have written a better screenplay. Certainly a class at a decent film school would have. You realize that Jeff Bridges character is self-centered and delusional, really. The point about the self-generating "computer life forms" makes no sense.

The effects are pretty amazing....but so many of them are "been there, done that." You basically get the disk game...only with more paramaters....and the racing motorcycles....only with more levels. You even have the giant flying staples and the big thing that moves around with a flower at the end of it. There wasn't one thing new within the grid....and that's a shame.

Then there's Jeff Bridges looking like he's still young. I'm not sure why...but I just found it odd. Maybe the fake way they always had his hair moving around. It just didn't seem right, and that made watching it strange.

Finally, throw in some truly odd or even terrible cameos. Cillian Murphy, a very talented actor, has an uncredited scene in the beginning. When I saw him I thought, "Oh, awesome - he's going to be the bad guy that they fight in the computer." Nope. Never see him again. Michael Sheen (from Frost/Nixon) plays a "clockwork orange wannabe" role that is both forced and strained. You can see the three twists that occur in his short time on screen all coming from a mile away. I basically thought, "I bet 'A' happens. Check. Oh, I wonder if "B" will happen. Check. Surely they won't let 'C' happen after A and .....yep. Just did."

I mean, this movie is bad. It's not Skyline bad...but it's not much better. And I don't think it will make $150M. I bet it falls 40% or more this weekend, which will put it at $75M total.....I wouldn't be surprised it if ends up less than $140M total.

As others have said this has been a disappointing movie season thus far. I enjoyed Harry Potter. Tangled was a pleasant surprise. But Due Date, Skyline, The Tourist and Tron have all disappointed. Maybe True Grit can save the day.....

weezie
12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
My son was practically fainting with anticipation of Tron but he, too, said it was a lame story. 3d stuff wasn't nowhere near Avatar status.

So, let's all go see True Grit this week!

wilson
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with the above comments. Some of Tron's action sequences are pretty darned good, but they're short and there aren't enough of them. It stands to reason that they'd be sparsely sprinkled into the film, as I'm sure they were very expensive. But cripes, could they not have put some more cash into the writing? As already stated in this thread, the script is horrendously bad. That said, the eye candy in some of the film is enjoyable, and the two action sequences with the Daft Punk songs blasting through them are almost worth the price of admission (though not the uber-expensive 3D IMAX admission).

Duke: A Dynasty
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Hmm really? Thats interesting that everone here was dissapointed. Everyone I have talked to thats seen it has said one of the best movies ever or just plain amazing. I myself watched it in imax 3-d and thought the movie was just the coolest.

cf-62
01-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Hmm really? Thats interesting that everone here was dissapointed. Everyone I have talked to thats seen it has said one of the best movies ever or just plain amazing. I myself watched it in imax 3-d and thought the movie was just the coolest.

The N&O - which I usually vehemently disagree with - wrote that the movie lacked a soul - and that was a fairly good way to describe the way I felt after convincing my wife to go see it with me.

I was embarrassed by how awful it really was.

fuse
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Count me in the wanted to like Tron Legacy more camp.

I think the special effects were good, but nothing ground breaking, and the story was weak.

I was definitely left wanting more out of the movie, and frankly I think the digitized young Jeff Bridges detracted from the movie- he was just not "real" enough to be anything other than distracting.

The movie started slowly and was a bit too long for the overall story in my opinion.

The whole Cora storyline opens up outrageous sequel possibilities, though I doubt anyone has enough imagination to actually make a compelling sequel, even though box office numbers would suggest one is inevitable.

cspan37421
01-07-2011, 06:31 AM
fans of the original Tron might want to check out today's shirt.woot.com, 1st place in the Complimentary Colors-themed derby ("Ancestry", as opposed to Legacy)

http://shirt.woot.com/

permalink: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=48505

JasonEvans
01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
I did not hate Tron, but certainly did not love it. I found the story simplistic and somewhat random at times. It started out ok, but the entire second act was just really weak. I have no idea what Jeff Bridges character was doing the whole time.

It was a visual treat, but once again proved the old saying that story is king.

-Jason "I dunno about a sequel, I don't think there will be fans clamoring for one" Evans

alteran
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I also found it disappointing. I think the biggest, most obvious flaw was how much it lacked real action.

And it's never good when characters sit around a table constantly telling you what everything means and how important it is. Legacy seemed to have an inordinate amount of that.

It is intriguing to me that my anecdotal experience is that original Tron fans seem to think it's awful, and people unfamiliar with the original seemed to like it.

My theory is that what made the original intriguing-- despite numerous and manifest flaws-- is that the idea of the virtual world, and how it looked, was so compelling. This movie spent an inordinate amount of time just looking around the world and letting the audience absorb this. For those of us who already had seen the original, this was a given-- Tron Legacy was just an updated version of that. But for people that are unfamiliar with the original, just looking around constantly was probably pretty cool, and entertaining.

jkidd31
01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I have seen it twice and I really enjoyed it...as has my 6 year old. Maybe it's because it takes me back to the orignal Tron which was a much simpler time.

Olivia Wilde is also really hot.

Duke: A Dynasty
01-16-2011, 03:44 AM
I also found it disappointing. I think the biggest, most obvious flaw was how much it lacked real action.

And it's never good when characters sit around a table constantly telling you what everything means and how important it is. Legacy seemed to have an inordinate amount of that.

It is intriguing to me that my anecdotal experience is that original Tron fans seem to think it's awful, and people unfamiliar with the original seemed to like it.

My theory is that what made the original intriguing-- despite numerous and manifest flaws-- is that the idea of the virtual world, and how it looked, was so compelling. This movie spent an inordinate amount of time just looking around the world and letting the audience absorb this. For those of us who already had seen the original, this was a given-- Tron Legacy was just an updated version of that. But for people that are unfamiliar with the original, just looking around constantly was probably pretty cool, and entertaining.

Wow very good thought!! I did not realize that might be a difference. Myself and others that I know who liked it mainly were interested in the scenery, setting, visual expierence we recieved from the movie. Now that I think about it there should have been more action... hmmm.

Chris4UNC
01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Anyone remember the original TRON from 1982?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO-KBUKYcoIvD-vgLlfOztA2HVY0RVhKIbwz9tYYPHZfz-6t2a

bjornolf
01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Anyone remember the original TRON from 1982?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO-KBUKYcoIvD-vgLlfOztA2HVY0RVhKIbwz9tYYPHZfz-6t2a

Um, heck yea! It was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I have it on both VHS and DVD, and I still watch it once every couple years. Tron and the Star Wars trilogy would definitely have taken 4 of my top 5 favorite movies back then.

BD80
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
... Olivia Wilde is also really hot.

Better than Madonna with meatballs?

jkidd31
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Better than Madonna with meatballs?

Not to Kate Beckingsale Underworld hot level... but pretty hot.

I'll add Siena Miller as Baroness in GI Joe was pretty strong.