PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Elon Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-19-2010, 09:11 AM
The nine day break ends tomorrow when the Elon Phoenix visit Cameron Indoor Stadium. Here is a link to the game notes:

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2010/12/18/MBB_1218101607.aspx
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205057309&DB_OEM_ID=4200

It's time to discuss the game.

dukelifer
12-19-2010, 09:23 AM
The nine day break ends tomorrow when the Elon Phoenix visit Cameron Indoor Stadium. Here is a link to the game notes:

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2010/12/18/MBB_1218101607.aspx
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205057309&DB_OEM_ID=4200

It's time to discuss the game.
Looking to see if Thornton gets more time with the starters. Duke will show a little rust but after a sloppy few minutes should roll over Elon.

moonpie23
12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
hopefully, it will do the job.. :)

Acymetric
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't think we'll be that rusty...a week off isn't that bad. Unless you think we'll look rusty because we're still adjusting to playing without Kyrie, in which case probably, but I think signs of that could last all game.

strawbs
12-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I live in Iowa and don't get FSS so I won't be able to watch the game on tv. I realize the game is against Elon and probably the closest thing to a sure win as we will have this year, but does anyone know if the game will be available online anywhere?

uh_no
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I live in Iowa and don't get FSS so I won't be able to watch the game on tv. I realize the game is against Elon and probably the closest thing to a sure win as we will have this year, but does anyone know if the game will be available online anywhere?

try atdhe.net

they often have games

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
try atdhe.net

they often have games

Checked that site....doesn't appear to be on there.

Any other suggestions? Being up here in PA is very frustrating when games are on FSS!

dukelifer
12-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think we'll be that rusty...a week off isn't that bad. Unless you think we'll look rusty because we're still adjusting to playing without Kyrie, in which case probably, but I think signs of that could last all game.

Not sure if they have the same practice schedule during exams. So it is hard to know. Usually after exams the team is not sharp.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Not sure if they have the same practice schedule during exams. So it is hard to know. Usually after exams the team is not sharp.

Yep, I seem to remember that as well. Its a good thing were playing Elon! Nothing against the Phoenix, but it'll be a nice game to get back into the swing of things after a week off. Im excited to see them on the court again.

dukestheheat
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Any other suggestions? Being up here in PA is very frustrating when games are on FSS!

.....Espn3 (on-line) has games, give that a try.

dth.

pfrduke
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
.....Espn3 (on-line) has games, give that a try.

dth.

While normally a good suggestion, this one is not scheduled to be on ESPN3.

diesel
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not "up here in PA" or in Iowa for that matter--I'm in Arlington, VA and FSS isn't on Verizon Fios. FS Central and Pacific are!

This has always frustrated me. I wish we had the Army of Northern Viriinia to pay FIOS a visit and clue them in as to our whereabouts!

Any suggestions as to how to see the game on TV? I'd even pay! I can't go out to a sports bar because my son and his new fiancee are staying with us. She needs to be educated in Blue Devildom.

thenameisbond
12-20-2010, 12:02 PM
channelsurfing.net carries most college games online if they are being broadcast

94duke
12-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Visiting the family in Richmond, and I can't find the game on the guide.
Does anyone know which channel might be carrying the game on FIOS in Richmond?

Thanks!!

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not "up here in PA" or in Iowa for that matter--I'm in Arlington, VA and FSS isn't on Verizon Fios. FS Central and Pacific are!

This has always frustrated me. I wish we had the Army of Northern Viriinia to pay FIOS a visit and clue them in as to our whereabouts!

Any suggestions as to how to see the game on TV? I'd even pay! I can't go out to a sports bar because my son and his new fiancee are staying with us. She needs to be educated in Blue Devildom.

Stinks not living near Durham, doesn't it? :p

I did an online search for "Duke Elon live stream" and a couple of sites came up, but they are all blocked here at work. I hope at least one of them works!

Maybe this will help. Here's what came up:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=duke+vs.+elon+live+stream&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Delmer
12-20-2010, 01:22 PM
There are four Christ School Alums playing tonight. Mason and Miles vs. Sebastian Koch and Lucas Troutman. Sebastian had a good 3pt shot, and Lucas was a good rebounder. Not sure either will get that many minutes. But will be fun to watch. Will be pulling for Duke.

dukeblue6661
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone else trying to watch from further away than Vereeniging, South Africa?

msdukie
12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Game is only on FS South and NESN, which is now on Bright House (and presumably Time Warner's) SportsPak - Channel 813 in Tampa BTW.

It is not on FCS (A, C or P) and is not on ESPN3. You can get the game on DirecTV.

Acymetric
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
There are four Christ School Alums playing tonight. Mason and Miles vs. Sebastian Koch and Lucas Troutman. Sebastian had a good 3pt shot, and Lucas was a good rebounder. Not sure either will get that many minutes. But will be fun to watch. Will be pulling for Duke.

Lucas got a good bit of pt Friday against Chattanooga, Sebastian has played some but not as much in the last few games as I recall. Keep an eye out for Drew Spradlin (#1) and Jack Eisenberger (#20, freshman...not sure on the spelling there and too hard to go check on this phone when in the middle of a post). Both have shown the ability to put up a lot of points in a few games this season (Drew has in previous seasons as well).

Terrance (#2) has shown signs of being able to drive the lane well but seems to lack the confidence to do it consistantly.

Although they'll likely struggle in all facets against Duke, their biggest weaknesses this year are rebounding/general inside play as well as moving without the ball on offense leading to a lot of poor outside shots.

As far as the inside play, we're terying to replace a big time player in Adam Constantine who graduated last year...in my opinion our best true post player now is Scott Grabel, who is good but has been hampered severely by knee injuries his whole career (you'll notice him immediately, he's the one with the full metal brace on his knee).

Should be a fun game to watch for those of us with Elon ties, I'm in Ohio visiting family so I'm hoping to catch a stream of the game online.

Tommac
12-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Even though I have been an avid Duke fan for the past 46 years, this is one game I have to pull against Duke, being a member of the Elon class of '76. I also live in the town of Elon and hear all the news regarding Elon sports through the local newspaper. Duke shouldn't have to break a sweat to win. Today, most Elon fans are probably more concerned with the loss of football coach Pete Lembo to Ball State.

loran16
12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Even though I have been an avid Duke fan for the past 46 years, this is one game I have to pull against Duke, being a member of the Elon class of '76. I also live in the town of Elon and hear all the news regarding Elon sports through the local newspaper. Duke shouldn't have to break a sweat to win. Today, most Elon fans are probably more concerned with the loss of football coach Pete Lembo to Ball State.

Don't feel bad about this. Where you GO to school, is your #1 team. If that team plays your other favorites, you root for your own school. Totally proper.

jacone21
12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Are all our guys good to go academically and ready to roll? I know we have solid student athletes, but I always worry a little bit between terms. Here's to good grades!

Acymetric
12-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't feel bad about this. Where you GO to school, is your #1 team. If that team plays your other favorites, you root for your own school. Totally proper.

I've always looked at it in the light of "damage done to the losing school compared to benefit to the winning school." Using my complex formula I pulled for Duke in football as losing would have killed Duke's season (although I suppose it died anyway) while Elon could easily overcome the loss and go on to make the playoffs and compete for a title (although they didn't). In basketball I have to pull for Elon as it would be a HUGE win for a struggling program, and while it would be embarassing for Duke these upsets are not unheard of for top programs and there's plenty of time to right the ship.

Of course, I'm expecting a big Duke win anyway and that doesn't bother the Elon fan in me in the slightest...while I'm frustrated by our lack of competativeness within the SoCon I can't really expect us to compete with a top 5 program at this point. We're on the rise though...similar to Duke football we just haven't quite made it over the hump to show the progress made in the win column.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM

That is pretty cool. I remember those guys from following Mason his senior year and I seem to remember them putting up decent numbers. Good for them, hopefully they can get in and have some fun playing against their old teammates/classmates.

Kind of off subject, but another Christ Alum that played with Mason and Miles, Lakeem Jackson is playing well at South Carolina. Averages about 10 pts per game now as a soph.

kmspeaks
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM

My p2p is a favorite for streaming games. I watched a lot of Atlanta Braves baseball games that I don't get living in northern Virginia. Some streams on this site require downloading streamtorrent, this game however doesn't require a download. It won't be ESPN3 quality but it's a good option for those games not available.

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/49905-NCAA-Basketball-Dec-20-26-Streaming

Dukiedevil
12-20-2010, 05:06 PM

justin.tv often carries sporting events. Sometimes with low quality though

Indoor66
12-20-2010, 05:09 PM
It appears that the game will be streamed here:

http://live-allgames.blogspot.com/2010/12/elon-vs-duke-live-stream-college.html

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Game will be on at the Village Pour House for anyone in NYC.

Richard Berg
12-20-2010, 06:50 PM
It appears that the game will be streamed here:

http://live-allgames.blogspot.com/2010/12/elon-vs-duke-live-stream-college.html
Sure about that? Looks like a spam site.

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
My p2p is a favorite for streaming games. I watched a lot of Atlanta Braves baseball games that I don't get living in northern Virginia. Some streams on this site require downloading streamtorrent, this game however doesn't require a download. It won't be ESPN3 quality but it's a good option for those games not available.

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/49905-NCAA-Basketball-Dec-20-26-Streaming

I tried this....it doesn't look promising. There is no weblink for the Duke game.
:confused:

Cameron
12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Anyone having any luck finding a video stream of the game? So far, none of the sites above are available for me.

Bluedog
12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Anyone having any luck finding a video stream of the game? So far, none of the sites above are available for me.

Nope, nothing. :( What about at least a radio link anybody? I was told 620 the buzz would have it, but I'm not hearing it...It's commercial though.

Edit: wsfl.com has it at least. :)

nocilla
12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
try this one; the background is atrocious but if you make it full screen you can avoid it.

http://www.justin.tv/heel0232

timmy c
12-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Nope, nothing. :( What about at least a radio link anybody?

radio link:
http://radiotime.com/WebTuner.aspx?StationId=28449&

somf4eva
12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
try this one; the background is atrocious but if you make it full screen you can avoid it.

works for me. thank you!

SilkyJ

Good call. This one's working.

DMV2434

thank you!

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Know how much I love you right now!!!!! :cool:
HA!

strawbs

i dont mean to complain because this is the only way i can watch the game, but is it really lagging for anyone else?

Cameron
Thanks to everyone above.

Let's Go Devils.

nocilla
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
i dont mean to complain because this is the only way i can watch the game, but is it really lagging for anyone else?

i haven't noticed any lagging... yet.

Cameron
12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Strawbs,

Yeah, it's lagging here, too -- which is frustrating -- but I'll take what I can get, I guess.

strawbs
12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
i haven't noticed any lagging... yet.

ya the audio is coming through fine, but the video is pretty sketchy

nocilla
12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Curry starting for Dawkins... to play pg maybe?

bigj4194
12-20-2010, 07:10 PM

thank you thank you thank you

nocilla
12-20-2010, 07:10 PM
ya the audio is coming through fine, but the video is pretty sketchy

yes i see now. I wasn't paying attention during the commercials. better than nothing i guess.

strawbs
12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
yes i see now. I wasn't paying attention during the commercials. better than nothing i guess.

agreed, at least i can listen to it, so im happy.

matts83
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Yeah its not the best, but I will take it. Better then watching the score update on ESPN.com.

Lord Ash
12-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Terrible quality... choppy and cannot even tell who is who.

So frustrating... you would think in todays world that we could see a TV channel that is someplace out there...

BleedsP287
12-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Highly annoying, I actually SUBSCRIBE to FSS and the game is blacked out. In Western Maryland. I reckon all the turtles around here should be watching the game on their local channel instead. Oh, wait, it isn't ON any local channel. Damn.

Lord Ash
12-20-2010, 07:23 PM
You know, I hate hearing Mike G. first imply that the refs will make a pro-Duke call based on being in Cameron... basically saying that the refs are crooked... and then follow it up with insisting that the Elon player DIDN'T step on the half-court line right before they show he clearly was. Come on... the refs are pros and do their job fairly, don't imply anything else please.

snowdenscold
12-20-2010, 07:29 PM
I guess the justin.tv video stream is better than nothing... but just barely. It's really poor quality picture and stream for me.

Indoor66
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
If you just want to listen you can get Bob Harris here (http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm).

detule
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
...about Singler's +NBA range three - his reaction.

FireOgilvie
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Kyle hit a 3 from about 6 feet behind the line.

Nolan has 2 fouls. Curry is playing PG, but he's more like Scheyer than Kyrie/Nolan (not that it's bad).

Fish80
12-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh man, Nolan just picked up his 3rd foul.

lotusland
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Kyle hit a 3 from about 6 feet behind the line.

Nolan has 2 fouls. Curry is playing PG, but he's more like Scheyer than Kyrie/Nolan (not that it's bad).

3rd on Nolan was a tough call. Seth and Tyler will get some more PG minutes tonight!

FireOgilvie
12-20-2010, 07:48 PM
We're clearly trying to focus on our rebounding in this game. Everyone is crashing the glass after shots. We're not really pushing the ball at all in transition.

dairedevil
12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
As the season goes on, Nolan really needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble and stay in the game. That said, I really didn't see much of a foul by Nolan.

davekay1971
12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
OH MY GOODNESS! Kyle: beautiful pass. Miles: WOW!

lotusland
12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
OH MY GOODNESS! Kyle: beautiful pass. Miles: WOW!

Yep Kyle is really distributing the ball great tonight as well as scoring!

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
For those watching on justin.tv...is this idiot broadcaster for real?

He can make ridic comments, but the discussion of kyrie being better than marshall gets every kyrie comment deleted.

When someone gets a timeout, can they still watch the game?

FireOgilvie
12-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Kyle drove into the paint and went into the air while holding the ball near his ankles before flipping in the layup... then Elon goes and makes a circus shot 3 pointer at the halftime buzzer.

We look solid. Elon isn't very good, but we're swarming on defense and have 8 steals at the half.

Lord Ash
12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Just drag your window smaller and watch only the game.

Acymetric
12-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah, this is the way to go. I never pay attention to those chats anyway, I prefer our dedicated Duke chats...even in a game where I'm not pulling for Duke!

Saratoga2
12-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Not getting the broadcast so have to follow game tracker instead. I noticed Dawkins had two 2 point field goals, which is something he needs to do to expand his offensive effectiveness. Very little scoring inside from either of the Plumlees, while Kelly at least has hit a couple.

It appears that Nolan and Kyle were played sparingly, but were very effective while in. Coach is giving a lot of lineups a try. That probably explains why Elon was able to get quite a few points at the half.

I'm interested in what those who can watch the game directly are seeing.

DukeGirl4ever
12-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Like!

It was very hard not to get in to that discussion since the game was so hard to watch with the streaming being so poor.

davekay1971
12-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Not getting the broadcast so have to follow game tracker instead. I noticed Dawkins had two 2 point field goals, which is something he needs to do to expand his offensive effectiveness. Very little scoring inside from either of the Plumlees, while Kelly at least has hit a couple.

It appears that Nolan and Kyle were played sparingly, but were very effective while in. Coach is giving a lot of lineups a try. That probably explains why Elon was able to get quite a few points at the half.

I'm interested in what those who can watch the game directly are seeing.

Saw the last 10 minutes of the first half. Nolan limited only by foul trouble. Singler is playing an awesome game. Kelly and Miles Plumlee both are having great games. Interesting to watch Thornton and Curry getting time at the point. Team defense remains quite solid through all of our various lineups.

davekay1971
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Well that was about as bad of a first 2 minutes of the 2nd half as I could have imagined. Bad plays by the Plumlees, flatfooted defense, Nolan with his fourth foul. So bad that Coach actually looks calm in the timeout. Kind of the calm, quiet voice that my Mom would get when I had her really, really ticked off...

Gthoma2a
12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
We need to get started. This is getting frustrating. I want to see Dawkins light it up (he has become a favorite; he was one last year, but now, he is awesome). The whistle seems to be blowing at us a lot, though.

dairedevil
12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
We need to get started. This is getting frustrating. I want to see Dawkins light it up (he has become a favorite; he was one last year, but now, he is awesome). The whistle seems to be blowing at us a lot, though.

Difficult to get into any kind of rhythm when the whistle seems to blow every time the ref exhales..

Playing a little more uptempo may be helping.

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
We are playing like - Thankfully this game is meaningless.

FireOgilvie
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
This is our worst half of the year.

29-24 Elon.

Duke76
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
with the exception of Kyle...our bigs are slow, do not play fundamental basketball defense...we look very average tonight..hope it is just the competition, exams or flu, MAson very weak on fundamentals, imo...Nolan and Kyle thank God for them

Verga3
12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
If you just want to listen you can get Bob Harris here (http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm).

I haven't even attempted to access the video....love listening to Bob's call. "...like taking candy from a baby."

Duke76
12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
stand up so much on defense, we are getting beat off the dribble every time. K is gonna
have a field day with the film on this one.

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
with the exception of Kyle...our bigs are slow, do not play fundamental basketball defense...we look very average tonight..hope it is just the competition, exams or flu, Mason very weak on fundamentals, imo...Nolan and Kyle thank God for them

Amen!! Although I would substitute "have low basketball IQ's" for "are slow". They have footspeed, they just don't have a clue about how to utilize it. If the Plumlees can't dominate Elon, what chance do they have against Florida State or UNC?

lotusland
12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Hard to put my finger on the problem but I'm surprised at how well Elon is running their offense. I really expected our defense to disrupt them more but they look pretty poised.

davekay1971
12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
First time in awhile I've seen us play for an extended period of time to the level of our competition. Our defense looks bad. Coach needs to stop drawing on that little basketball court and break it across someone's butt.

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Meanwhile, Andre is the truth!

Gthoma2a
12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Gotta love Dre!

davekay1971
12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
And Nolan. He's been a beast since he came back in. Enjoying seeing him holding his hands to his body on defense, too. I think he's poking a little fun at the refs...

Duke76
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
and now we look so average...it can't be all Kyrie....hard to
figure out??

cptnflash
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
And Nolan. He's been a beast since he came back in. Enjoying seeing him holding his hands to his body on defense, too. I think he's poking a little fun at the refs...

Can we just play four guards plus Kyle? I think it's time to bust out the 2007-2008 look.

Duke76
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
look better with who's out there now

ChicagoCrazy84
12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I've just been watching this with ESPN Game Cast so I don't know whats been going on other than our defense has been bad, but did Coach K bench Mason? I haven't seen anything from Mason in the stat sheet for a while.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Can we just play four guards plus Kyle? I think it's time to bust out the 2007-2008 look.

No! Not 2007-08 again!!

dukebluelemur
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Soo... those of you who argued early in the year that Mason needs to be shooting 3s, you want to revisit that thought?

pfrduke
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
This post is not meant to suggest that we haven't played poorly (I haven't been able to watch the game, and I trust what folks are saying here), but it's a nice problem to have when playing poorly results in winning by "only" 26 or so points. We're pretty good even when we're bad (and playing an overmatched opponent certainly helps).