PDA

View Full Version : ACC Brackets

RockyMtDevil
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
So, with Carolina's win, who do we play thursday and Friday?

I assume we will play UVA on Friday and then the winner of the 3-6 game. Do we draw NC state or FSU on Thursday?

Without G., it will be hard to match up with FSU...

ChrisP
03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
We will play NC State at 8pm on Thurs and the winner gets UVA on Friday at 7pm. Not a bad draw for us IMHO. I certainly think both those games are winnable for Duke and if so, would help our seeding for the big dance.

oso diablo
03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
nice printable pdf of the ACC bracket (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/07mbkbracket.pdf)

riverside6
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
There is a free ACC Bracket Contest on my site, SCACCHoops.com (http://www.scacchoops.com) if you are interested. Just go to the site and click on the bracket. If you run into any issues, let me know.

CDu
03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Our draw is:

Thursday: NC St
Friday (if we win): UVa
Saturday (if we win again): Va Tech(I think)/Ga Tech

It's actually a really good draw for us. These are all teams we can beat. Also, while the loss of Henderson is rough, NC St is a good team for it to happen against. They only have 7 guys, so our 6+ man rotation won't likely get worn down. And, they don't have blazingly fast point guards or dominant post players (or ANY post depth), so we match up pretty well with them.

I hope somehow they unsuspend Henderson, but if not, our path lays out about as well as it can for us. Hopefully, we regroup and turn it on next week!

bluebear
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I really like our draw..though I would clearly prefer not to have us play 4 games..I like us getting a second shot at both VA and Va Tech..plus we avoid both MD and Carolina until Sunday...Of course, we need to get by State on Thursday...

CDu
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I really like our draw..though I would clearly prefer not to have us play 4 games..I like us getting a second shot at both VA and Va Tech..plus we avoid both MD and Carolina until Sunday...Of course, we need to get by State on Thursday...

Of all the teams to face Thursday without Henderson, NC St is the best for us, in my opinion. Miami has just gotten two big guys back this week from injury, and they gave FSU fits. NC St on the other hand has only 7 players, so our lack of depth isn't likely to hurt us. And they don't have an explosive PG or overly aggressive perimeter defense, so Paulus isn't likely to have as many problems. And they don't have great post depth, so our post depth isn't likely to hurt us.

A-Tex Devil
03-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Honestly -- we SHOULD win through Saturday. I love our draw. I know our conference results don't bear that out, but hear me out:

-- We should beat NC State, based on record, rank and reality. I think everyone will be dissapointed if we lose. It's a tough game, but if we lose, this team is an official disappointment. There. I said it.

-- UVA played the easiest ACC schedule, like, ever. We should have beaten them in C-Ville (one of many games we had and handed to our opponents) and they've proven pretty weak on road/neutral sites all year. We oughta win.

-- If we win that game, we get VaTech/Ga Tech or, perhaps, Wake. We are better than all of those teams. We may be "tired" if we play VaTech, but we are better than they are. We should beat them.

We got a great draw. We avoid Maryland and UNC through Saturday. If we make it to Saturday, it's been a good tourney, Sunday, great tourney, and winning it is gravy.

****edited to say -- if this is "weauxing" I apologize. Consider this edited in my mind appropriately to avoid weauxing. I just think we SHOULD beat the three teams we will play.****

A-Tex Devil
03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
One other point -- we get to avoid the two teams playing for their tourney lives -- FSU and Clemson. If GaTech gets to Saturday, I gotta believe they are in. FSU and Clemson are on the other side and we won't have to deal with all that.

trajanthegreat
03-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Couldn't agree more. Also, playing an opening round game may actually help the team this year. A solid outing against State can provide some much needed momentum after back-to-back losses to high-caliber opponents. Most years the goal for the ACC Tournament is to bring home a trophy. While that would be great, our goal now has to be to get back to playing to our potential in time for the NCAA's.

CDu
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Honestly -- we SHOULD win through Saturday. I love our draw. I know our conference results don't bear that out, but hear me out:

-- We should beat NC State, based on record, rank and reality. I think everyone will be dissapointed if we lose. It's a tough game, but if we lose, this team is an official disappointment. There. I said it.

-- UVA played the easiest ACC schedule, like, ever. We should have beaten them in C-Ville (one of many games we had and handed to our opponents) and they've proven pretty weak on road/neutral sites all year. We oughta win.

-- If we win that game, we get VaTech/Ga Tech or, perhaps, Wake. We are better than all of those teams. We may be "tired" if we play VaTech, but we are better than they are. We should beat them.

We got a great draw. We avoid Maryland and UNC through Saturday. If we make it to Saturday, it's been a good tourney, Sunday, great tourney, and winning it is gravy.

****edited to say -- if this is "weauxing" I apologize. Consider this edited in my mind appropriately to avoid weauxing. I just think we SHOULD beat the three teams we will play.****

I agree with everything you've said here, except the part about being better than Va Tech. The Hokies have better guard play, and have lots of experience. They are as good as us, if not better. Their record in the ACC is no fluke, nor is the loss they handed us at Cameron.

That said, I do believe it's a good matchup for us on Saturday. I don't think Va Tech is so good that we can't handle them. They don't have great inside play (decent, not great), and if you can contain Dowdell, they can go REALLY cold.

But they have the best player on the floor when we play them (Dowdell), and they have better guard play, plenty of athleticism, tenacity, and experience. I would expect them to be the slight favorites in that game.

A-Tex Devil
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
True. I say we are better than Virginia Tech partly out of snobbery. But we ought to be better than them, in all honesty. Otherwise, we've really missed in recruiting.

I'm just excited that we have a good chance, if we play decent, to get to Sunday. On Sunday, all bets are off.

I've been really really (REALLY) hard on this team this year when discussing this team with my friends. But, other than being PO'd at the refs tonight for making the Hendu foul a suspendable offense, I'm as optimistic about this team as I've been since pre-UVA game about our prospects for making a decent run in the ACC and NCAA tourneys.

This team ought to beat VaTech. There I said it again.