PDA

View Full Version : Kansas's Mario Little Arrested and Suspended

richardjackson199
12-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Kansas suspends him "indefinitely". I hope this means they are going to kick him off the team when the facts are sorted out. I hope "indefinitely" doesn't mean a short suspension, and then bring him back in plenty of time for their title run. At least Wake Forest had the decency to handle it that way with Woods (contrasted with the pat on the wrist approach of Baylor with Dunn). Makes me proud to cheer for Duke players who usually follow the rule not to behave in ways that are detrimental to themselves (Duke players also have better reasons to be out "indefinitely").

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Kansas-basketball-player-Mario-Little-arrested-121610

CEF1959
12-16-2010, 03:05 PM
He wasn't suspended from the team. Only from competition while Kansas "gathers facts."

He'll be back if they need him. They've already got him apologizing and accepting responsibility in a "statement" he probably never read. They're setting his return up.

RoyalBlue08
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
From what I read, it seems like he and another guy got in a fight over a girl that went too far. While not good, I'm not sure this is really a "kicked off the team" sort of offense. Although I suppose you never get the real story with these sorts of things. It seems to me though that there is a subset of people that want to see the maximum possible punishment whenever a kid gets in trouble. I'm not sure why that is.

richardjackson199
12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
He wasn't suspended from the team. Only from competition while Kansas "gathers facts."

He'll be back if they need him. They've already got him apologizing and accepting responsibility in a "statement" he probably never read. They're setting his return up.

If that's the case, it's unbelievable a university would have players representing their school with their name across the jersey and behaving that way off the court. If players like Dunn and Little can get away with that kind of behavior, then "apologize" and be suspended for a few games, what kind of message does that send? It says these schools are condoning the beating of women, battery charges, and hooliganism as long as the players are good enough to help them win. Winning is being prioritized above values and character. That is very sad.

richardjackson199
12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
From what I read, it seems like he and another guy got in a fight over a girl that went too far. While not good, I'm not sure this is really a "kicked off the team" sort of offense. Although I suppose you never get the real story with these sorts of things. It seems to me though that there is a subset of people that want to see the maximum possible punishment whenever a kid gets in trouble. I'm not sure why that is.

Yeah I would say the fight went too far.

"Little's girlfriend fled during the altercation and went to a friend's apartment at the complex, where she was followed by Little, police said. He is accused of pushing a woman there, then battering his girlfriend after finding her in an upstairs bedroom.

Police said Little also shoved a man who attempted to separate him and his girlfriend before several people subdued Little until officers arrived.

He was arrested on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing. He posted $700 bond and was released Thursday morning."

Count me in the subset of people who thinks an appropriate punishment for this would include not playing more college basketball for Kansas this year

elvis14
12-16-2010, 04:08 PM

There's difference between getting in a fight with another guy over a girl (not that bad an offense) and beating on that girl (an offense that I think he should be kicked off the team for).

BD80
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
... Count me in the subset of people who thinks an appropriate punishment for this would include not playing more college basketball for Kansas this year

Little's 7th on the team in scoring (6.2 ppg) and Selby is now eligible. They don't need him at all, so they will make an example of him.

CEF1959
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Little's 7th on the team in scoring (6.2 ppg) and Selby is now eligible. They don't need him at all, so they will make an example of him.

Or wait and see how the season goes regarding injuries, other issues, etc.... Don't be surprised if he's fully rehabilitated in time for the NCAA tourney. 16+ minutes and 6+ ppg mean he's valuable off the bench, even if it's just giving the starters a blow. I have zero faith that this will be decided on the merits without regard to team needs.

RoyalBlue08
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Or wait and see how the season goes regarding injuries, other issues, etc.... Don't be surprised if he's fully rehabilitated in time for the NCAA tourney. 16+ minutes and 6+ ppg mean he's valuable off the bench, even if it's just giving the starters a blow. I have zero faith that this will be decided on the merits without regard to team needs.

So anytime someone gets arrested and charged with something, off the team immediately? And then if the charges are later dropped or the kid is found the be innocent, he gets reinstated? Guilty until proven innocent!

RoyalBlue08
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah I would say the fight went too far.

"Little's girlfriend fled during the altercation and went to a friend's apartment at the complex, where she was followed by Little, police said. He is accused of pushing a woman there, then battering his girlfriend after finding her in an upstairs bedroom.

Police said Little also shoved a man who attempted to separate him and his girlfriend before several people subdued Little until officers arrived.

He was arrested on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing. He posted $700 bond and was released Thursday morning."

Count me in the subset of people who thinks an appropriate punishment for this would include not playing more college basketball for Kansas this year

Sorry, I hadn't read what you are quoting. If it turns out that he did beat up his girlfriend, then I obviously think the penalty should be severe. I wish people didn't always jump to conclusions though. As best I can tell, these are still just charges and there very well may be another side to this story.

CEF1959
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
So anytime someone gets arrested and charged with something, off the team immediately? And then if the charges are later dropped or the kid is found the be innocent, he gets reinstated? Guilty until proven innocent!

Uh, I think he admitted to not being innocent.

richardjackson199
12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry, I hadn't read what you are quoting. If it turns out that he did beat up his girlfriend, then I obviously think the penalty should be severe. I wish people didn't always jump to conclusions though. As best I can tell, these are still just charges and there very well may be another side to this story.

I was quoting the article I linked in the first post on this thread

killerleft
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Uh, I think he admitted to not being innocent.

I think he did, too, but I'm not sure he admitted to everything that's been alledged in several newspapers. Unlike several people on this thread (not meaning you), I think he will be punished severely if the battering of his girlfriend and having to be restrained by others turns out to be factual.

uh_no
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Kansas suspends him "indefinitely".

If he's out indefinitely, then we can determine when kyrie is coming back.....its whenever this guy's suspension ends.

Genedoc
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Agreed. I'm reminded of how immediately we dismissed Casey Sanders when he was charged with assault.

wacobluedevil
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Agreed. I'm reminded of how immediately we dismissed Casey Sanders when he was charged with assault.

Casey Sanders has had his day in court on assault charges and reached an agreement which should result in charges being dropped after six months.

As part of the agreement, Sanders had to accept several conditions:
No criminal offenses other than minor traffic violations.
Stay in school or be employed full time.
Must not assault, threaten or harass any witnesses, including the victim.
He also has to get a substance abuse, mental health and domestic violence assessment by Dr. H. Keith Brodie and follow any suggestions Brodie makes.
Sanders was charged with assaulting his girlfriend on May 7. (<duke.scout.com/2/49844.html>)

By all indications Sanders did not receive any suspension the following season, playing in 33 games (<www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/casey_sanders.htm>), not even a "slap on the wrist."

hurley1
12-17-2010, 07:01 PM

I have a great imagination, and I just can't think of any side of this story that leaves him squeaky clean here. He's a thug that has no place on a college court. Sadly,alot of athletes in college sports now have no business on campus. And when their true personalities come out, the schools sweep it under the rug which makes the problem even worse. It's all about money.

wacobluedevil
12-17-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a great imagination, and I just can't think of any side of this story that leaves him squeaky clean here. He's a thug that has no place on a college court. Sadly,alot of athletes in college sports now have no business on campus. And when their true personalities come out, the schools sweep it under the rug which makes the problem even worse. It's all about money.

Evidently then Duke used a pretty big broom for the 6'11" Sanders.

Vanceman201
12-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Yep, I agree that Mario has to be kicked off the team. Those that don't have
the character and maturity to understand their good fortune in playing for a
major college program....need to be weeded out...anywhere.

Devilsfan
12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Selby looks like Kyrie when he had heathy toes. Would have been nice to see them face each other in Houston in April.

SuperTurkey
12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Selby looks like Kyrie when he had heathy toes. Would have been nice to see them face each other in Houston in April.

KU escapes thanks to the go-ahead three by Selby with under 30 seconds left in the game.

hedevil
12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Personally, I wasn't too impressed with Selby. He did have a solid game considering that it was his first collegiate game, and being that he's only a freshman. That being said, he looked more like a spot up shooter rather than a creator. He doesn't appear to have Kyrie-like speed. Granted, he does have a nice shot, but doesn't seem to have the ability to create his shot (or shots for teammates) at will, the way that Kyrie does/can.
I'm sure that he does possess most of those skills, I just didn't see them on display in today's game. I'm sure he will get better and better as the season goes along. Just my 2 cents