PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Bobby Feller

Blue in the Face
12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Unrelated to Cliff Lee, Russell Martin, the Yankees, Rangers or Phillies, mlb has lost a true great, as Bob Feller passed away last night at 92. RIP.

Olympic Fan
12-16-2010, 12:03 PM
This was mentioned in another thread, but Bob Feller's death at age 92 deserves its own thread.

Feller was the greatest pitcher of the greatest generation. His career numbers -- 266 wins (he led the AL in wins six times, in strikeouts eight times) -- don't tell the whole story.

You've got to understand where Feller was in the baseball hierarchy on Dec. 7, 1941 and what happened next. He was -- with Joe DiMaggio -- one of baseball's two biggest stars (even more than Ted Williams). He achieved national fame for reaching the big leagues at age 17, when he won five games and had a 17-strikeout performance.

By age 20 in 1939, he was the best pitcher in baseball -- 24-9 with a 2.85 ERA. He followed that age at 21 with a 27-11 season. Then he was 25-13 in 1941.

On Dec. 7, 1941 -- he was driving from Van Meter, Iowa to Cleveland to sign his 1942 contract. He was just crossing the Mississippi River when he heard the news of Pearl Harbor. Feller turned around, drove home and enlisted the next day.

You have to approaciate how unusual that was. NONE of baseball's other stars rushed to join (although most of them eventually did; the one star that was in uniform was Hank Greenberg, who was drafted in 1940). DiMaggio and Ted Williams and young Stan Musial all played in 1942 (Williams, who we now honor as a hero for his service in two wars, was routinely heckled in '42 as a draft dodger). Feller, as the sole support of his family and as a protected farm worker, could have avoided service altogether -- or at least postponed it to '43 or '44.

Asked why he didn't wait to be called, he explained. "I thought America needed heroes."

Later, however, he refused to be labeled a hero, saying that the real heroes were the guys buried in Europe or at the bottom of the oceans.

But Feller was a hero. Not only did he enlist on Dec. 8, he volunteered for combat duty and instead of serving out the war playing baseball (as most of his big league compatriots did) he spent the war years serving as commander of a gunnery position on the battleship Alabama, which saw action is some of the toughest fighting in the Pacific.

He missed almost four seasons in his prime during WWII (he got back in time to pitch in nine games in 1945). In 1946, he led the league in wins (26), innings pitched and set the all-time record for strikeouts (348). A year later, he again led the AL in wins, strikeouts and IP.

Is it crazy to suggest with those four seasons he missed in the prime of his career, that he would have won over 350 games, maybe third most all-tme?

Feller is the greatest pitcher in the post-deadball era. He's also one of the most admirable superstars of any era.

Indoor66
12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
This was mentioned in another thread, but Bob Feller's death at age 92 deserves its own thread.

Feller was the greatest pitcher of the greatest generation. His career numbers -- 266 wins (he led the AL in wins six times, in strikeouts eight times) -- don't tell the whole story.

You've got to understand where Feller was in the baseball hierarchy on Dec. 7, 1941 and what happened next. He was -- with Joe DiMaggio -- one of baseball's two biggest stars (even more than Ted Williams). He achieved national fame for reaching the big leagues at age 17, when he won five games and had a 17-strikeout performance.

By age 20 in 1939, he was the best pitcher in baseball -- 24-9 with a 2.85 ERA. He followed that age at 21 with a 27-11 season. Then he was 25-13 in 1941.

On Dec. 7, 1941 -- he was driving from Van Meter, Iowa to Cleveland to sign his 1942 contract. He was just crossing the Mississippi River when he heard the news of Pearl Harbor. Feller turned around, drove home and enlisted the next day.

You have to approaciate how unusual that was. NONE of baseball's other stars rushed to join (although most of them eventually did; the one star that was in uniform was Hank Greenberg, who was drafted in 1940). DiMaggio and Ted Williams and young Stan Musial all played in 1942 (Williams, who we now honor as a hero for his service in two wars, was routinely heckled in '42 as a draft dodger). Feller, as the sole support of his family and as a protected farm worker, could have avoided service altogether -- or at least postponed it to '43 or '44.

Asked why he didn't wait to be called, he explained. "I thought America needed heroes."

Later, however, he refused to be labeled a hero, saying that the real heroes were the guys buried in Europe or at the bottom of the oceans.

But Feller was a hero. Not only did he enlist on Dec. 8, he volunteered for combat duty and instead of serving out the war playing baseball (as most of his big league compatriots did) he spent the war years serving as commander of a gunnery position on the battleship Alabama, which saw action is some of the toughest fighting in the Pacific.

He missed almost four seasons in his prime during WWII (he got back in time to pitch in nine games in 1945). In 1946, he led the league in wins (26), innings pitched and set the all-time record for strikeouts (348). A year later, he again led the AL in wins, strikeouts and IP.

Is it crazy to suggest with those four seasons he missed in the prime of his career, that he would have won over 350 games, maybe third most all-tme?

Feller is the greatest pitcher in the post-deadball era. He's also one of the most admirable superstars of any era.

Nicely said. I seem to remember that his fastball was clocked (http://www.efastball.com/baseball/stats/fastest-pitch-speed-in-major-leagues/) at 107+ mph in the 40's. He was something to watch.

JasonEvans
12-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Here is a really nice obit that ESPN did on the man. He was truly one of the greats.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5925095

-Jason "the video of the motorcycle racing his fastball is great!" Evans

JohnGalt
12-16-2010, 02:29 PM
I wish I had as much to add as OlyFan, but all I can relate is a short personal story...

I was maybe 8-9 years old and for whatever reason Mr. Feller was attending a Charleston Riverdogs (I think Rainbows, actually...it was certainly at the old stadium) game where he - as most would imagine - attracted more interest than the actual game itself. Either way, I managed to snag a foul ball...basically by diving head first underneath the seats, resulting in several knocks...scratches and things, nothing serious. Anyhow, I got in line to shake hands with Mr. Feller and have him sign the ball and rather than just sign it and have me move on, he was genuinely interested in the scratch I had on my forearm and basically wanted the play by play of my grabbing the ball. Needless to say, it made an impression.

RIP, Mr. Feller.

jimsumner
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with OF's excellent post. I've always admired Feller for the way he comported himself during WWII. Given his high profile, it would have been so easy for him to have sat out the war some place warm and cozy and safe and no one would have thought the worse of him.

Yet, he went out of his way to put himself in harm's way and deflected any attempts at praise for that act.

I never met Feller But I got to know Tommy Byrne, the former Yankees pitcher, who passed away a few years back. Byrne served on a destroyer in the North Atlantic, on dangerous submarine duty.

North Carolinian Buddy Lewis, another fine major leaguer, flew missions "over the Hump," i.e. the Himalayans. Floyd Simmons, who later won two bronze medals in the decathlon, fought in Italy. I believe Yogi Berra landed at Normandy.

Nile Kinnick, the 1939 Heisman Trophy winner, died in a training flight.

And don't forget Ted Williams, who flew combat missions in WWII and Korea.

Not trying to high-jack the thread and certainly not trying to compile a complete list of sports stars who fought for their country. But I think what these guys did off the field may well have eclipsed anything they did on the field.

So, RIP Bob Feller.

weezie
12-16-2010, 09:18 PM
And don't forget Ted Williams, who flew combat missions in WWII

My dad flew in Ted William's squadron, as a fellow pilot. One of my father's great stories, years later running into Williams in Islamorada, wow! Still makes me laugh. Along the lines of the great Williams recognizing a fellow pilot and letting loose with some colorful, brotherly language and a back-slapping hug...and maybe a few scotches.

Godspeed Mr. Feller, a class act and a good soul.