PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy's Player of the Year

JasonEvans
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
This is cool...

Ken Pom is going to be handing out a Player of the Year award based on his offensive and defensive efficiency stats. Minutes played will also factor in significantly and the team's overall success will also play a role. Ken says it will be almost impossile to win the award if your team is not in the top 10-20 in his rankings. I like that as being really efficient and effective for a team that loses a lot seems to be a bit of a waste.

Anyway, he explains it all (and I only understood half of it) in this post (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/introducing_the_kpoy/) on his blog.

The current standings--

1. Terrence Jones, Kentucky. (Rating of .510)
2. Jon Leuer, Wisconsin. (.504)
3. Jared Sullinger, Ohio State. (.481)
4. Jimmer Fredette, BYU. (.464)
5. Kemba Walker, UConn. (.444)
6. Kawhi Leonard, San Diego State. (.430)
7. Derrick Williams, Arizona. (.427)
8. E’Twaun Moore, Purdue. (.401)
9. Nolan Smith, Duke. (.384)
10. Brad Wanamaker, Pitt. (.381)

--Jason "he makes Sullinger his early favorite to win it all" Evans

mkirsh
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Interesting concept. Would love to see it applied to the last few years to see what results it spits out. I would bet that Jon Scheyer would have been pretty close to the top of the list last year based on his offensive efficiency and Duke's team success.

Namtilal
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Last year, Jon was 10th and Patrick Patterson was 5th in offensive efficiency. (http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=ORtg&y=2010, scroll to bottom where it lists all players.)

Not sure about Patterson's defense, but Scheyer was 9th in minutes (http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=PctMin&y=2010), and Patterson wasn't in the top 100, so that leans towards Jon.

hurleyfor3
12-15-2010, 05:58 PM
He should also award a Dork of the Year, to the person on the internet who makes the most arguments on bulletin boards that cite computer polls.

CLW
12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
9. Nolan Smith, Duke. (.384) There’s no Kyrie Irving on this list, partly because Irving’s first two DNP’s are factored in, but also because he was getting some of the John Wall treatment. He’s a fast point guard that’s on TV a lot who will be a great pro. But like DeMarcus Cousins at Kentucky, Smith has been more productive than his flashier teammate.

I was a little stunned when I read this.

Is Ken Pom saying that even prior to Kyrie's DNPs Nolan was playing better than Kyrie?

sagegrouse
12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
He should also award a Dork of the Year, to the person on the internet who makes the most arguments on bulletin boards that cite computer polls.

This Board would win places one through ten and retire the trophy.

sagegrouse
'Back in Colorado, and it's snowing like crazy!'

BattierBattalion
12-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Is Ken Pom saying that even prior to Kyrie's DNPs Nolan was playing better than Kyrie?

I was surprised by that too. My guess is that even though Kyrie is more efficient offensively, Nolan makes up for it with defense and rebounding.

Actually, if you remember the Michigan State game, Kalin Lucas was blowing by Kyrie. Kyrie is not quite the defensive player that Smith is.

ACCBBallFan
12-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Is Ken Pom saying that even prior to Kyrie's DNPs Nolan was playing better than Kyrie?I don't think so.

Earlier in the article as I recall it said Kyre's two DNP's had been factored in.

sagegrouse
12-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I was surprised by that too. My guess is that even though Kyrie is more efficient offensively, Nolan makes up for it with defense and rebounding.

Actually, if you remember the Michigan State game, Kalin Lucas was blowing by Kyrie. Kyrie is not quite the defensive player that Smith is.

IMHO (where the H is usually silent) Kyrie was by far the most exciting Blue Devil in the games he played, but he is a work in progress on both offense and defense. Moreover, Nolan and Kyle are very polished college players, and it shows. Kyrie is only gonna get better and, it is to be hoped, no less exciting.

sagegrouse