PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. St. Louis (Dec 11, 2010)

JBDuke
12-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 84-47 win over St. Louis?

rotogod00
12-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I voted for the boxscore stuffer and that'd be Nolan

Bob Green
12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Nolan was poised in the 1st half and controlled the flow while waiting for the rest of the team to warm up. Singler ate St Louis up in the 2nd half and Miles Plumlee was solid with nine points and nine rebounds, but I voted for Nolan due to him showing the team the way through a slow early going.

marinbobbyduhon
12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I could have voted for Kyle, Nolan, or Seth - it was that close for me. I chose Kyle because he does all the little things that don't get noticed. Clark picked up on a few of them and talked briefly about Kyle's other contributions to the team.

jv001
12-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Nolan because he got us off to a good start. With the added pressure of running the team, he stepped up and made 8-13 shots with 6 rebs, 5 assts, 4 to's, 2 steals. Great game for one of our captains. Kyle and Josh were also very good. 14 minutes for Tyler at the pg position. Looks like Coach K has liked what he's seen in practice. Also a good game for Seth and I look for him to build on that. Clark Kellog said that Coach K told him he thinks Curry will play well for Duke and be a big part of our success. Go Duke!

Cameron
12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
My vote went to Seth for really playing comfortable out there and just doing his thing. He played well, and that's something he really hadn't been doing at all.

He hunted for his shot, looked hungry to make a big impact (but doing so in a smart, calculated manner and not forcing the issue), played outstanding on-ball defense and, most impressively, distributed six assists, something we are going to really need with Kyrie sidelined for the interim.

Seth hit for 11 points, including 3-of-5 shooting from deep (4-of-7 overall), as well as the six assists and one steal versus just one turnover. Solid, and exactly what we needed from him today. I think it's only time before he breaks out for a 25-point explosion and truly arrives on the national map; if he's not there already.

Duke: A Dynasty
12-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I voted Josh for his 15 minute 12 point performance. He really showed me something today. I considered Seth but I felt Josh really stepped up the most.

MChambers
12-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Miles was a big key to our defense? I thought his defense was awesome, and he also showed a little offense.

wilson
12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Today was easily Nolan Smith's best game of the season. In fact, the only other time I can remember him playing such a good overall game in a Duke uniform is last year's Baylor game.

Bob Green
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Miles was a big key to our defense? I thought his defense was awesome, and he also showed a little offense.

I agree with you. Miles Plumlee has consistently been our best low post defender and he has shown extra energy the past two games. I like his rotations and the way he cuts off the baseline.

On offense, he has scored 14 and 9 points the past two games plus he had several good looks today where he just missed. Obviously, he offensive game remains a work in progress, but he is showing improvement and it is just December. The competition is going to be stiffer starting in January but his shot will continue to improve as well.

Ultrarunner
12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree with you. Miles Plumlee has consistently been our best low post defender and he has shown extra energy the past two games. I like his rotations and the way he cuts off the baseline.

On offense, he has scored 14 and 9 points the past two games plus he had several good looks today where he just missed. Obviously, he offensive game remains a work in progress, but he is showing improvement and it is just December. The competition is going to be stiffer starting in January but his shot will continue to improve as well.

I think the play that I saw (limited minutes- ended up working) was Miles rebound in traffic with Singler - and he took it away from Kyle. You don't see that much but Miles seems really focused on being intelligently aggressive and doing a lot of the little things properly and letting the rest of the game come as it will.

I didn't get a chance to see Josh or Tyler but I like the stat lines for both.

Devilsfan
12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Who woke miles up? Maybe he has a new girl friend but he certainly played great today. We need this type of performance from him now more than ever.

SilkyJ
12-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Voted for Nolan with props to Jiggy Hairston. I don't realistically think he'll be in the rotation come feb/march, but I'm excited to have him on the Duke roster for the next 4 years.

jv001
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Miles has been agressive the last two games and has played intelligent defense. Not much reaching and has been moving his feet. As for his offense, I really liked the medium range bank shot that he made. I wish more front court players would use this shot. We need Miles, Mason and Kelly to step up as we near ACC teams. Go Duke!

tele
12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
I picked Nolan. He's been carrying part of the point guard load all season and still comes through with consistent scoring which the team really needs. He seems to have elevated his game, maybe it is senior determination or leadership, but it really helps the team win.

Seth, Kyle, Miles all played well too, but the other player I was most encouraged to see play was Josh. That mid range jumper looks great and he seems to move well around the key. If he can keep gettng minutes and knocking down a few shots he would help the team alot, puts a lot of pressure on the defense when you have a big who can shot the midrange shot, they can't pack the defense in and clog up the lane so much. Plus if Josh can spell singler some that would really strengthen this team.

Watching Coach K coaching this team after the loss of a key player to injury is something to see. I'm not sure how he does it, I thought last year was one of his best ever coaching jobs, and now here we go again. He sure isn't coasting to any of these heights of coaching milestones. It is something to see, and when Kyrie comes back watch out!

throatybeard
12-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Who woke miles up? Maybe he has a new girl friend but he certainly played great today. We need this type of performance from him now more than ever.

The great thing about him is that he's even better than Mike Plumlee.

OldPhiKap
12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
The great thing about him is that he's even better than Mike Plumlee.

I voted for Miles, although a number of players stepped up to new roles. If we are going to be more of a half-court grind-out without Kyrie, we will need a bigger post presence. Miles is responding to the challenge.

(Kudos too to Nolan, Seth, Ryan, and Josh)

superdave
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I didnt actually get to see the game until last night. Nolan looked like he was on a different planet than everyone else on the court - by far the best player vs SLU. Other guys were working hard and making plays, but Nolan looked like he knew no one could stop him.