mattman91
12-10-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRVQZ07evc&feature=player_embedded

He didn't lie.

DukeFanSince1990
12-10-2010, 07:10 PM

He didn't lie.

wow......can't wait to see what Coach K does with that!

devildeac
12-10-2010, 07:22 PM
wow......can't wait to see what Coach K does with that!

I'll bet K can hold him under 20;).

mattman91
12-10-2010, 07:26 PM

K would shut him down.

Verga3
12-10-2010, 07:40 PM

I PROMISE you that Doc beats K to that punch.

uh_no
12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

He didn't lie.

most top college prospects could drop that many against vastly inferior HS competition

mattman91
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
most top college prospects could drop that many against vastly inferior HS competition

True... kinda like Sullinger being raved about for scoring 40 against IPUOUYBFD.

Duke: A Dynasty
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM

He didn't lie.
He did too lie! He got 43 not 40 sheesh... I wonder how much he woulda had if he played all 4 guarters.

O and he cutt off the fro :(

uh_no
12-10-2010, 11:34 PM
True... kinda like Sullinger being raved about for scoring 40 against IPUOUYBFD.

the kid's good, we all know that

but I won't use a ridiculous point total against VASTLY inferior competition as validation.

If he dropped 43 in a state all star game or in the macdonalds game....then I'd be impressed because he'd be doing something most great recruits can't do

mr shadow 008
12-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not and if it has I'm sorry and if it has then feel free to delete it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEGZ9RNTj0&feature=fvwk

Mike Corey
12-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Austin did it in three quarters.

yancem
12-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Certainly not trying to nitpick because it doesn't seem to negatively impact him at all but I would have thought that son of a former nab all-star would have more of a left hand. Some of the layups he makes in that video would have been significantly easier to make if he had used his left hand.

All-in-all though, this kid is a stud and I can't wait to see him suit up for Duke next season.

LBJFlight23
12-11-2010, 10:33 AM
is his ego too big?

SuperTurkey
12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
is his ego too big?

Interesting question from a LeBron fan. ;)

I think he'll be fine.

dcar1985
12-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Certainly not trying to nitpick because it doesn't seem to negatively impact him at all but I would have thought that son of a former nab all-star would have more of a left hand. Some of the layups he makes in that video would have been significantly easier to make if he had used his left hand.

All-in-all though, this kid is a stud and I can't wait to see him suit up for Duke next season.

Maybe he cant go right and in that case he needs to work on it...but I never understood the whole "he cant go right, just cause he doesnt" thing, people would say that about me while i was playing being a lefty and I can use my right hand just fine I just feel more comfy going to the left and if u cant stop me from doing it should i go right just to prove a point??? I kno in Austins case its diff cause he has NBA scouts and everyone else watching him but maybe he has the same "why go right if u cant stop me left" mentality

SupaDave
12-11-2010, 12:51 PM
The kid can definitely go left. Go back and look at the vid of him taking John Wall. If you need any more proof than that then you will have to wait till the all-star games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1uF90ihgA

SupaDave
12-11-2010, 12:52 PM

He didn't lie.

You gotta love the student section in this vid. They are going nuts.

BlueDster
12-11-2010, 01:02 PM
You gotta love the student section in this vid. They are going nuts.

Seeing those kids made me think about just how young these recruits really are. They look so mature physically that it's hard to remember sometimes that they really are only 17 until you see what their classmates look like.

Cameron
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
First off, Austin is going to be every bit as good as advertised. As they say, he is the real deal. If Austin stays more than a year (although, from an early speculation standpoint, probably not likely considering his particular association with the League), he will be one of the top two or three shooters we've ever had. I fully believe in this.

However, am I the only person here not "cheeringly" impressed by a 40-point game in a high school contest against a clearly, as many have suggested here, subordinate team? It certainly isn't "ridiculous" as someone mentioned earlier.

I'm from the cornfields of northwest Ohio. I am a short 35-minute drive from Jon Diebler's hometown. He averaged 41 a night, and, of the eight or nine games in which I saw him play, I don't believe he ever had less than 40. I saw him drop 47 in the state title game against future Buckeye teammate and current OK City Thunder guard Daequan Cook.

With that said, he'd drop 75 on high school Diebler and it would look like 700.

SupaDave
12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Seeing those kids made me think about just how young these recruits really are. They look so mature physically that it's hard to remember sometimes that they really are only 17 until you see what their classmates look like.

Reminds of me when Rodney Rogers was at Hillside. Their games were so big that they had to play in NCCU's McDougald Gymnasium.

Mike Corey
12-11-2010, 02:30 PM
First off, Austin is going to be every bit as good as advertised. As they say, he is the real deal. If Austin stays more than a year (although, from an early speculation standpoint, probably not likely considering his particular association with the League), he will be one of the top two or three shooters we've ever had. I fully believe in this.

However, am I the only person here not "cheeringly" impressed by a 40-point game in a high school contest against a clearly, as many have suggested here, subordinate team? It certainly isn't "ridiculous" as someone mentioned earlier.

I'm from the cornfields of northwest Ohio. I am a short 35-minute drive from Jon Diebler's hometown. He averaged 41 a night, and, of the eight or nine games in which I saw him play, I don't believe he ever had less than 40. I saw him drop 47 in the state title game against future Buckeye teammate and current OK City Thunder guard Daequan Cook.

Rivers has an offensive skill-set that is just jaw-dropping.

Also, I have a lot of family in the Toledo area. Hope you enjoy it up there in NW Ohio.

Cameron
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Rivers has an offensive skill-set that is just jaw-dropping.

Also, I have a lot of family in the Toledo area. Hope you enjoy it up there in NW Ohio.

Oh, I know that. I've seen Austin play in the truly big games (not that my analysis of his game from my TV holds any meaning) and he's absolutely phenomenal. I'm just pointing out that 41 points versus an inferior high school team is not "ridiculous" or amazing to the point of being confusing and unbelievable. (Then again, it is probably more likely that my last post was wrapped in my current disenchantment; as I said, I do live in the heart of Buckeye country, and their fans over the past few days have been more than obnoxious and appalling: "we're #1" ... "a big toe short of a championship," etc. And that's just extended family.)

Anyway, I fully cannot wait to have the services of Rivers in Durham. I think Rivers can be the best shooter in the country from day one, and that's a weighty compliment considering nobody will be a better three-point shooter than Andre Dawkins while Andre plays for Duke. (That makes no sense, but I intended it that way. Ha.)

Cameron
12-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh, and thanks, Mike, I do it enjoy it up here. It's home. But it also is a terrible place to live compared to lots of other places:D.

But, it was a comfortable and warm three-hour drive to Indy:)

12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Well he only played for 3 quarters and got those 43 points. :cool:

magjayran
12-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm not surprised that he could drop 40 in this type of game and I already knew that the kid is lights out from three and can really handle the ball so I'll leave that alone.

I was definitely a little surprised to see that his hops have seemingly improved a bit since some of those earlier videos. I don't think he's the type of player that needs to lean on explosive leaping ability to be successful but it can't hurt!

phaedrus
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
43 points against a bad high school team isn't necessarily that impressive, but that 360 dunk surely was.

12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
43 points against a bad high school team isn't necessarily that impressive, but that 360 dunk surely was.

It was 3 quarters though! He was on pace for around 58 or better. Thats impressive against anyone especially considering he is on a talented team (although he is the focal point).

Mcluhan
12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
What's clear is that next season is going to be as fascinating as this season from a personnel standpoint.