PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Bradley (Dec. 8, 2010)

JBDuke
12-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 83-48 win over Bradley?

Gorilla
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Baby face dawkins

superdave
12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Andre with a career high 28. Easy vote.

Is he the 5th Duke player to score 25+ in 1 of our 9 games so far? I think so.

coldriver10
12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Great game, Miles!

But tonight belonged to someone else...

CLW
12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Andre. Kid has an UNREAL stroke and also showed the ability to drive and hit some floaters as well.

basket1544
12-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I voted for Andre, but Nolan should get a lot of credit for running this team well. He isn't going to score as much while he distributes the ball, but he kept Duke settled.

JBDuke
12-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I was tempted to put up a poll with only two options - Andre and everybody else - like DBR did for Kyrie after his performance vs. Michigan State.

Certainly, Andre gets my vote. What a show!

Bluedevil114
12-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Andre was sick tonight. Think about this kid, he would be a freshman this year with Kyrie. It is great to see his confidence this year. I would like to see Andre be a little more cocky (JJ like).

The silent assassin.

Bob Green
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Will it be unanimous this time? Obviously, I voted for Andre Dawkins. He played a great game tonight and really displayed a knack for knocking down the 3-pointer in transition.

KShip21
12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
"SPLASH" Dawkins. Great performance tonight. Congrats to him and the guys

diesel
12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Andre, of course, but like ColdRiver 10, I thought had Miles had a helluva game. Miles was my MOTM until Andre caught fire,

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Andre showed up!!! Honestly I was not impressed by much of anyone else the whole game. As a team we obviously struggled in the first half, and as a team we played much better in the second, but only Dre's solo performance really stood out as one I could even think of voting for tonight. Miles was strong, but for me not enough to warrant a second opinion.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Andre, of course, but like ColdRiver 10, I thought had Miles had a helluva game. Miles was my MOTM until Andre caught fire,

Miles had an outstanding game in all aspects. I don't want to break Andre's voting streak right now -- great job by the kid in a key role -- but Miles GOT THE JOB DONE and showed some great upperclass leadership.

COYS
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Andre showed up!!! Honestly I was not impressed by much of anyone else the whole game. As a team we obviously struggled in the first half, and as a team we played much better in the second, but only Dre's solo performance really stood out as one I could even think of voting for tonight. Miles was strong, but for me not enough to warrant a second opinion.

While the team may not have been operating like a well-oiled machine, I thought that both Miles and Nolan played well, although I obviously went with Andre. Nolan's new responsibilities took a toll on his scoring, but he quarterbacked the offense better than he ever has. Even though it wasn't always pretty, he did a good job protecting the ball and got everyone else on the team involved in a big way.

Gorilla
12-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Reminded me of jj

Daniel tosh
12-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Andre was superb tonight!Great to to see him really shine,by the time his career is over at Duke he will be one of my all-time favorites.

SilkyJ
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Has to be Dre b/c of the way his shooting kept us going in the 1st half.

Nolan's 10 dimes were quiet tonight, but good to see him making plays for others. Now he needs to combine that with his scoring in the same game if he wants to convince those NBA scouts he can play PG.

juise
12-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Ah. Back to easy MOTM votes.

hedevil
12-08-2010, 11:35 PM
ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!

Andre is clearly the fifth/sixth man on this team, based on the opponent. For the meantime (Kyrie out) he will likely start each game. This should really give him a chance to build his confidence. Not that he needs it.

dukepsy1963
12-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Andre is a "winner" who is starting to really "get it on"... Keep watching...the best is yet to come I think. He is a treat to watch...
Congrats Dre...............

loran16
12-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I gave it to Miles, as really I'm not surprised by Dawkins. In the first half, where he did a ton of damage, he was found wide open for seconds at a time. Great performance no less, but well, they weren't defending him well. And we know he can knock down those shots.

Miles on the other hand, showed an ability to be open in the center which was big and I hope he builds on.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Will it be unanimous this time?
It will never be unanimous. I'm convinced of that now. If it's not after Kyrie's MSU performance, and Andre's tonight....never gonna happen. :(

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I gave it to Miles, as really I'm not surprised by Dawkins.
I don't get that. Even though Dre had a career night, because it didn't suprise you, it goes to someone else? Not that your vote isn't valid, but your reasoning makes no sense.

dball
12-09-2010, 12:42 AM
Gotta be Andre. One more 3 and he ties the Duke record and breaks 30. His D was pretty good as well.

Miles had a super game with 14 pts in only 21 minutes but tonight it was Andre.

Nolan ran the team well plus pulling down 4 rebounds. Seemed like more but that's probably because he grabbed the first two. Missed the FTs though. Kyle--no surprise--was solid.

loran16
12-09-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't get that. Even though Dre had a career night, because it didn't suprise you, it goes to someone else? Not that your vote isn't valid, but your reasoning makes no sense.

Dre played amazing. My point was that his career night was the result of him getting more opportunities that were really good than normal. Of course, it takes a great player to knock em all down the way he does. I'm not meaning to disparage Andre in any way. He's amazing.

But he didn't impress me today. Miles did. He hadn't shown this before. I hope he'll show it again.

(Expectations are the key here for my vote.)

tele
12-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Man of the Match just passed Adolph Rupp in total wins, but since voting is limited to players, I voted for Andre. Great game in his first start. As someone already mentioned he was just one tre from the Duke record of 9 held by Battier. Which means in
Andre's first start he just tied JJ Reddick's top 3 point shooting game.

Miles also had a great game, he and Andre combined for 48 points. Not bad for two new starters put in after another player goes down to injury.

Nolan did a great job too, unselfish as usual, getting 8 assists. And in his first game as full time point guard, Nolan now takes over the lead in assists in the ACC. That is very impressive.

But it was Andre's night, good to see him getting the ball when he is open.

Kedsy
12-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Dre played amazing. My point was that his career night was the result of him getting more opportunities that were really good than normal. Of course, it takes a great player to knock em all down the way he does. I'm not meaning to disparage Andre in any way. He's amazing.

But he didn't impress me today. Miles did. He hadn't shown this before. I hope he'll show it again.

I understand what you're saying. I almost voted for Miles myself. The player who exceeds expectations the most often has the most impact on the game.

However, Andre also exceeded expectations tonight, and he certainly impressed me (even if I knew he had it in him). It was far and away the best game of his short career (which is not true of Miles's performance), so I ultimately went with the majority.

cakerace
12-09-2010, 05:36 AM
No, seriously, my #1 thought was how many small towns around the country are lucky to have even one Duke doctor, and how fortunate we are to have a whole gaggle of them right there in Durham! OK, guys, once again it's time to work your magic and get young Mister Irving back in the pink of health as soon as possible...

But, wow, some shooting Dre!

4decadedukie
12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Andre Dawkins, without question, although several other players made fine contributions.

Faison1
12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
“Not to sound arrogant, but I always feel like my shot is on.”

I LOVE Andre!! If I saw him in person, I would give him a BIG hug!

jv001
12-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Andre didn't impress you? You could be the only person who watched the game and was not impressed. In your reasoning, Andre will never win MOTM because you expect it from him? I guess he'll have to score around 50points, 10 assists, 12 rebounds, 10 blocks and pilot the plane that get's Duke to the game. As for Miles, he deserves praise as he had a very good game as did Nolan and Kyle, but no one was better than Andre. GoDuke!

wilson
12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
http://vvoice.vo.llnwd.net/e10/dre-day.4452903.40.jpg

Delaware
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Gotta be Andre. One more 3 and he ties the Duke record and breaks 30. His D was pretty good as well.

Actually interesting that K noted in his presser that Dre's last shot ... (was he trying to hit 9 and go over 30 points?)... was his only "bad" shot.

two points:
1) I doubt Dre was actually "thinking" about those kinds of milesones or even was keeping track. He just was feeling like anything he threw up was probably going in so he fugured what the heck.
2) It must be both fun and exhausting playing for Coach K... he demands perfection. He would have been perfectly happy for Dre to taken and hit that last shot if it was a "team shot" ... all of your shots are good shots only if they are "team shots".

Oh.. btw, I voted for Andre.

CDu
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Andre didn't impress you? You could be the only person who watched the game and was not impressed. In your reasoning, Andre will never win MOTM because you expect it from him? I guess he'll have to score around 50points, 10 assists, 12 rebounds, 10 blocks and pilot the plane that get's Duke to the game. As for Miles, he deserves praise as he had a very good game as did Nolan and Kyle, but no one was better than Andre. GoDuke!

I agree. By the "expectations" logic, it's unlikely that Smith, Singler, Irving, or Dawkins could ever warrant the vote. Sure - Dawkins has always had the capability of a big shooting night. But he nearly tied the school's single-game record for made 3s, and he had a career night in his first start.

In my opinion, Miles had a terrific game, but I feel like Dawkins had the slightly more terrific game. But, to each their own.

Deshawnj
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Andre "Tre" Dawkins.

Since the Baylor shot this kid has been cold blooded. No situation has too much pressure, no shot is too big, no shot is too early in the shot clock, no shot is going to miss in his mind. He is the next great shooter. Mark it.

ps He should have took a drive near the end for the bucket or 2 free throws get him 30 but he didn't that shows he is unselfish as well.

Gthoma2a
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
How can you expect it from Dre too much to give him a vote? He is in his first career start and he killed it! I don't get how we could be anything less than amazed at how composed he has been through his entire year, and what he can do when he gets significant minutes (first time he has had the chance, and he nailed it).

Kedsy
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't get how we could be anything less than amazed at how composed he has been through his entire year, and what he can do when he gets significant minutes (first time he has had the chance, and he nailed it).

OK, you had me until the bolded part. He had 31 minutes against Bradley, after getting 32 against Butler and 28 against Michigan State. Four other games this year he has exceeded 20 minutes (7 overall, and the two he didn't were 18 and 19). Andre played exceedingly well against Bradley, but it was hardly the "first time he has had the chance."

Duke: A Dynasty
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
OK, you had me until the bolded part. He had 31 minutes against Bradley, after getting 32 against Butler and 28 against Michigan State. Four other games this year he has exceeded 20 minutes (7 overall, and the two he didn't were 18 and 19). Andre played exceedingly well against Bradley, but it was hardly the "first time he has had the chance."

What about first chance to prove he should start?

Kedsy
12-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Yah, hard to argue with that one.

SilkyJ
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Yah, hard to argue with that one.

Agreed, but its really just semantics. He played 32 and 28 minutes in the two games leading up to this, while Kelly, who started, played 14 and 17 minutes. And it wasn't like he was in foul trouble or something. So apparently "starting" isn't all its cracked up to be.

That said, I'll look for Dre to start for much of the rest of the season. Certainly with Kyrie out, and possibly even if/when Kyrie comes back.

CDu
12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Agreed, but its really just semantics. He played 32 and 28 minutes in the two games leading up to this, while Kelly, who started, played 14 and 17 minutes. And it wasn't like he was in foul trouble or something. So apparently "starting" isn't all its cracked up to be.

That said, I'll look for Dre to start for much of the rest of the season. Certainly with Kyrie out, and possibly even if/when Kyrie comes back.

Yeah, I would be pretty surprised to see Dawkins lose the starting gig for as long as Irving is out. It gets a little more complicated if/when Irving returns. But whether he remains a starter or not, I'd expect Dawkins to continue to get starter's minutes the rest of the year (regardless of Irving's status).

As a side thought: I'm so happy with how much Dawkins has progressed. During the summer, if you'd said that we'd lose Irving, I think nearly everyone would have agreed that Curry would be the guy moving into the starting lineup. Dawkins has just played so well to this point that it's hard to make that case for Curry at the moment. I certainly hope Curry's play picks up such that we'll STILL have a debate about which guards should be starting!

Delaware
12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Andre "Tre" Dawkins.

Since the Baylor shot this kid has been cold blooded. No situation has too much pressure, no shot is too big, no shot is too early in the shot clock, no shot is going to miss in his mind. He is the next great shooter. Mark it.

ps He should have took a drive near the end for the bucket or 2 free throws get him 30 but he didn't that shows he is unselfish as well.

Dre the Tre

hq2
12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
As a side thought: I'm so happy with how much Dawkins has progressed. During the summer, if you'd said that we'd lose Irving, I think nearly everyone would have agreed that Curry would be the guy moving into the starting lineup. Dawkins has just played so well to this point that it's hard to make that case for Curry at the moment. I certainly hope Curry's play picks up such that we'll STILL have a debate about which guards should be starting!

Not me. I had 'dre all the way. In the big hullabaloo about Kyrie and Seth, people had sort of forgotten that 'dre had started off pretty well last year. The whole car crash business just sort of threw him off his game; he just couldn't quite get it together after that, and so people sort of forgot about him.

But he showed last year that the talent was there. Andre has the most picture perfect jumper I think I've ever seen. It's a work of art. Having watched Ray Allen for three years, I think Andre has better form and a better (higher) arc. It was just a question of improving his D and ballhandling to make him a more complete player.

In fact, he's already as good as (or better) than J.J. was as a sophomore, and going to get much better. I mean, he hasn't even developed a good stop and pop, or worked on his baseline drive angles yet. And, he still doesn't pass off the dribble well either. Once he gets that in his arsenal, he could be better than J.J. Folks, mark my words. If he stays 3 he'll be A-A. If he stays 4 he could get his jersey hung. Keep watching folks; you ain't seen nothing yet.