PDA

View Full Version : One and dones... done?

nocilla
12-08-2010, 03:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5899152

Espn article says they are looking to drop the age restriction allowing players to go to the NBA straight out of highschool.

Anyone concerned that this would effect Austin Rivers? Or would the change be to late going into effect?

SCMatt33
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
This would only happen after the new collective bargaining agreement, which will not affect the 2011 draft (the current CBA expires June 30, just after the draft). Second, even if it did, this is simply a bargaining chip being thrown out by both sides. David Stern has gone on record in favor of a two-and-done rule. My guess is that both sides want to "reluctantly" give this up in favor of more important things ($$$$$$$$). My guess is that when both sides discover that the other doesn't care too much about it, we will end up right where we are now as both sides won't give away anything else to get it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I soooo hope they take away the restriction. As for Rivers I'm not worried. I doubt they will make the change early enough to affect him. I also doubt the NBA will playing a full season next year. If they do, and if they change it in time for him to declare, I wish him the best.

yancem
12-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Espn article says they are looking to drop the age restriction allowing players to go to the NBA straight out of highschool.

Anyone concerned that this would effect Austin Rivers? Or would the change be to late going into effect?

I would assume that this wouldn't effect Rivers because it would have to be part of the next CBA and there is little to no chance that will be a new one before the end of the season. I also doubt that this rule is dropped. It seems to me that there is more pressure to extend the restriction to 2 years than there is to drop the rule all together. I'm sure the owners like the rule because it gives them better chance to evaluate the players and the union should like the idea because it creates more roster spaces for the older veterans.

loran16
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Not happening.

What you see here is a bargaining point by the player's union. The union represents the current players. It does NOT represent college or HS players. Their interests are really secondary. They may empathize with those players affected by the age limit, but it's really not something they care about too greatly.

The Union however, knows the owners like the age limit (and in fact, might want to increase the age limit to 20). So by making a big deal over this, they gain the ability to bargain with the owners by conceding on this issue in exchange for concessions toward them. It's a bargaining point they can make a stand on so as to gain something from the other party, which can't backfire because they really don't care too much.

Think nothing of this.

gam7
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Right now, this is just part of the proposal by the players' union. It is no surprise that they are opposed to the restriction. The fate of the one-and-done rule is one of numerous variables that will be subject to negotiation. There also has been some talk of the NBA adopting a rule somewhat like the one that exists in professional baseball where players will be permitted to go pro after high school but if they opt not to go pro, they may not enter the draft until after their sophomore year. Whether the agreed upon version of the rule has an impact on Austin will depend in large measure on the timing of when an agreement is reached. Bottom line: no one knows right now.

SilkyJ
12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Not happening.

What you see here is a bargaining point by the player's union. The union represents the current players. It does NOT represent college or HS players. Their interests are really secondary. They may empathize with those players affected by the age limit, but it's really not something they care about too greatly.

The Union however, knows the owners like the age limit (and in fact, might want to increase the age limit to 20). So by making a big deal over this, they gain the ability to bargain with the owners by conceding on this issue in exchange for concessions toward them. It's a bargaining point they can make a stand on so as to gain something from the other party, which can't backfire because they really don't care too much.

Think nothing of this.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

nocilla
12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't overly concerned just thought it was a possibility.

Although any thought of it is probably pretty scary to Kentucky fans.

loran16
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't overly concerned just thought it was a possibility.

Although any thought of it is probably pretty scary to Kentucky fans.

I wouldn't go that far. Cal's first voided F4 run was before the 1 and done era began, at UMass.

SCMatt33
12-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't go that far. Cal's first voided F4 run was before the 1 and done era began, at UMass.

I was just looking through the NCAA record book. For some reason, I can't find the Final Four run to which you refer.;)