PDA

View Full Version : Champions Classic....WOW!

Fuqua's Finest
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted but check out this link from ESPN. It's about the Champions Classic involving 4 national powers, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St., and Kansas.

This event is going to be the kickoff of college basketball and it's going to be great! Enjoy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5898231

MulletMan
12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted but check out this link from ESPN. It's about the Champions Classic involving 4 national powers, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St., and Kansas.

This event is going to be the kickoff of college basketball and it's going to be great! Enjoy!

I just came on to post this. Awesome!

I guess this is the only way that we could get games with Kansas and UK since they aren't willing to do a home and home, not wanting to play in Cameron and what not.

:cool:

4decadedukie
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow, this is really spectacular. I cannot think of a finer way to spend next November fifteenth.

diveonthefloor
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Again points out why the scheduling of college hoops is better than that of college pigskin.

Devil07
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Fantastic! I love the idea of this and think it's a terrific way to kick off the season. The potential for a quality win combined with the making of a big media event is a great incentive. I really don't see much downside either since a loss to a top-tier opponent early in the year isn't going to hurt any of the teams. And of course, I do find some pleasure in the fact that our neighbors down the road weren't included in this little party :cool:

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
The first Champions Classic is set for Madison Square Garden in New York, with Duke facing Michigan State and Kentucky meeting Kansas on Nov. 15, 2011.

Year 2 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta will see Michigan State vs. Kansas and Duke vs. Kentucky on Nov. 13, 2012. The third event, Nov. 12, 2013 at the United Center in Chicago, will have Michigan State playing Kentucky and Kansas playing Duke.

What an amazing series! Great for the college game to have this. It is going to be THE KICKOFF to the season the next 3 years. It is hugely prestigious to be invited to be part of this. Read what Tom Izzo is saying about it, he is ecstatic that Mich State was included.

I sorta wish we were getting someone other than MSU in the first year as we played them this season and it has been a while since we played Kansas and Kentucky (we had great series with each of them for a while).

I have to say, the folks down 15-501 have got to be furious right now. This was a case of someone picking the top 4 teams in the sport right now for a special event and they were left out. A year ago, that would have been unthinkable.

I can see Syracuse, UConn, Georgetown, UNC, and Ohio State all being frustrated at not being a part of this. They could try to do it on their own, I suppose. They could call it the "Not Quite Champions Classic." 2 years ago, it would have been unthinkable for UCLA to be left out of this.

-Jason "I am sooo getting tickets to this when it comes to the Ga Dome in 2 years!!!!" Evans

NSDukeFan
12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
What an amazing series! Great for the college game to have this. It is going to be THE KICKOFF to the season the next 3 years. It is hugely prestigious to be invited to be part of this. Read what Tom Izzo is saying about it, he is ecstatic that Mich State was included.

I sorta wish we were getting someone other than MSU in the first year as we played them this season and it has been a while since we played Kansas and Kentucky (we had great series with each of them for a while).

I have to say, the folks down 15-501 have got to be furious right now. This was a case of someone picking the top 4 teams in the sport right now for a special event and they were left out. A year ago, that would have been unthinkable.

I can see Syracuse, UConn, Georgetown, UNC, and Ohio State all being frustrated at not being a part of this. They could try to do it on their own, I suppose. They could call it the "Not Quite Champions Classic." 2 years ago, it would have been unthinkable for UCLA to be left out of this.

-Jason "I am sooo getting tickets to this when it comes to the Ga Dome in 2 years!!!!" Evans

The other great thing is that this is not replacing the Maui invitational Duke and Kansas are going to as well. What an opening to the season for Duke next year. Add in a game against a top notch Big Televelve team and the team should be well tested in the early going.
From the same article the OP posted:

Self noted that Kansas and Duke will head from the game in New York next season to the loaded Maui Invitational that includes Tennessee, Memphis, UCLA, Georgetown, Michigan and host Chaminade.

BD80
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
... I do find some pleasure in the fact that our neighbors down the road weren't included in this little party :cool:

This is delicious! Even Izzo admits that MSU is the answer to the "which one doesn't belong" question.

UCLA and unc are the other programs that should have been considered. However, UCLA has been kind of down, and I can see ESPN wanting to pick teams from different conferences/ geographic regions, eliminating unc once Duke was in. I wouldn't have minded Syracuse if MSU had declined.

It does show that Duke was the choice over unc. Classic champions.

blazindw
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
This is going to be epic! I'm going to do my best to go to the games all 3 years, starting with next year in the Garden. I wonder if this means we play our annual NY/NJ game in the Meadowlands again (or Newark) since we will already be playing at the Garden.

BD80
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
The other great thing is that this is not replacing the Maui invitational Duke and Kansas are going to as well. What an opening to the season for Duke next year. Add in a game against a top notch Big Televelve team and the team should be well tested in the early going. ...

Hey Kyrie, feel like sticking around another year to play in Madison Square Garden (for a WINNING team), take a trip out to Maui, and make another deep run in the tourney?

(and beat the snot out of the tarheels 2 or 3 more times?)

CharlestonDevil
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
The "C Double N C" is classic for that reason, an assembly of national powers that want to meet and prove their mettle early on and kerlina didn't make the cut.

Just one more tournament UNC fails to make.
It'll save Carolina a round trip ticket to Puerto Rico.
Now Roy has time to pursue 2 NIT banners.
Maybe Chapel Hill can start a season kickoff with College of Charleston.

But in all seriousness folks... I hate Carolina.

SCMatt33
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
This is delicious! Even Izzo admits that MSU is the answer to the "which one doesn't belong" question.

UCLA and unc are the other programs that should have been considered. However, UCLA has been kind of down, and I can see ESPN wanting to pick teams from different conferences/ geographic regions, eliminating unc once Duke was in. I wouldn't have minded Syracuse if MSU had declined.

It does show that Duke was the choice over unc. Classic champions.

I don't think it's so much that they wanted teams from different conferences, but two teams from the same conference limits it to two possible matchups, kind of like how the new Indiana thing has to deal with IU and Purdue so they only have two possibilities.

The other thing I'm curious about is how the negotiations were conducted. I'm sure the schools were more directly involved than simply being invited to join the event. I'm actually a little surprised that the Coach K didn't get the year with the Duke-UK matchup in MSG, but I guess they all agree to have what is probably the most anticipated game at the biggest venue. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that outside of ticket allotments, the seats sold to the public will be filled with UK fans.

I also wonder what will happen after three years. Will they try and renew as is or will they try and find four new "champions" for a new 3-year cycle. I would imagine that it would be carolina, IU, UCLA (assuming those two are back "up") and maybe UConn (since they haven't gotten the Big East in this time).

Either way, we end up with a great three year scheduling arrangement against two great programs (plus UK)! I'm excited.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
That will be an insane November for Duke...remember we are also going to be playing in the Maui Invitational, which has an expanded field and also includes Kansas. (Plus Georgetown and UCLA).
How are the 2 tournaments going to work? The schedules seem to overlap. This is Maui...

Starting in 2011, the tournament will be played in three parts:
1. Opening Games:
a. Seven games between seven Maui-bound teams and four mainland teams.
b. These games will be played at the Maui-bound teams' home arenas from Friday, Nov. 11 through Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011
2. Regional Games:
a. Four games played between four mainland teams
b. These games will be played at a mainland team's home arena from Saturday, Nov. 19 to Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011
3. Championship Round:
a. The current eight-team, three-day bracket event
b. These games will be played on Maui from Monday, Nov. 21 to Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011.

http://www.mauiinvitational.com/Story.asp?story_id=114

Lord Ash
12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Fantastic, that will be a LOT of fun. Great to see the biggest names in college basketball in there!

I have a feeling that they will rotate teams every three years, and it will likely feature four other big-name programs going forward.

nocilla
12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
So from what I read in that article, it will just be 2 games and not a tournament. Is that right?

SCMatt33
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
So from what I read in that article, it will just be 2 games and not a tournament. Is that right?

Yes, it will be kind of like the Jimmy V Classic was last night.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Ahh, so that answers my question about the "two tournaments"..still..what an insane November for us. (And Kansas)

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Here, Here...I saw the headline, rushed to see our opponent, and was very disappointed. Maybe Cal said he wouldn't play Duke at MSG...I've heard him disparage Duke claiming MSG is a neutral site. I am sure they kept Duke and Kansas apart due to the potential meeting in Maui...hopefully, then, we'll see someone other than MSU in the ACC/Big 10 game.

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I have a feeling that they will rotate teams every three years, and it will likely feature four other big-name programs going forward.

I dunno about rotate, but I imagine they will reexamine the field every 3 years to ensure that the right teams are in it. If Duke and/or some of the others still seem to be the logical choice, then they would stick around. If some other team makes more sense then they would get the nod.

3 years ago, UNC and UCLA would have been no-brainers for it. Duke likely would have been left out as would Kentucky. In fact, I think the lineup 3 years ago would have been UNC, UCLA, UConn, and Florida.

It shows you how much the landscape of the game can change year to year.

-Jason "the event's credibility demands teams on top of the game-- if that is us, then I bet we continue to be a part of it" Evans

snowdenscold
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Wait, so next year we play Mich. St. and UK and KU face off? Will that rotate around for the three years, meaning we'll play each of the other three teams once over three years?

Duvall
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Wait, so next year we play Mich. St. and UK and KU face off? Will that rotate around for the three years, meaning we'll play each of the other three teams once over three years?

Yes.

The first Champions Classic is set for Madison Square Garden in New York, with Duke facing Michigan State and Kentucky meeting Kansas on Nov. 15, 2011.

Year 2 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta will see Michigan State vs. Kansas and Duke vs. Kentucky on Nov. 13, 2012. The third event, Nov. 12, 2013 at the United Center in Chicago, will have Michigan State playing Kentucky and Kansas playing Duke.

Zeb
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
It shows you how much the landscape of the game can change year to year.

-Jason "the event's credibility demands teams on top of the game-- if that is us, then I bet we continue to be a part of it" Evans

As happy as I am that Duke is included in this event, for the reasons mentioned above I think the tournament organizers have made a mistake to commit to four teams for the next 3 years. Who knows in three years if those four schools will be the draws that they are today? Obviously they are historically great programs, but you never know when the next Carolina-style meltdown will strike.

If the goal is to create a high profile event that starts the college season with a bang, the selection process should be more transparent and timely. Pick the lineup when you know who is returning and who has landed blue chip recruits.

SCMatt33
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Here, Here...I saw the headline, rushed to see our opponent, and was very disappointed. Maybe Cal said he wouldn't play Duke at MSG...I've heard him disparage Duke claiming MSG is a neutral site. I am sure they kept Duke and Kansas apart due to the potential meeting in Maui...hopefully, then, we'll see someone other than MSU in the ACC/Big 10 game.

I sort of mentioned this before, but not with detail. I think the biggest reason Duke-UK is happening in 2012 in Atlanta is that, assuming traditional configuration, it is nearly impossible to sell 40,000 tickets to a November basketball game. Even with 4 great programs, Duke-UK is probably the only game that could definitely get it done. Waiting for year two allows the event to pick up momentum before bringing out the big guns. With Maui preventing Duke-KU next year, we're left with Michigan State.

As for the ACC/Big Ten, I would venture a guess that Duke will get a return trip for 2008 from Purdue next year, before Duke goes to East Lansing in 2012 or 2013.

1 24 90
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
As for the ACC/Big Ten, I would venture a guess that Duke will get a return trip for 2008 from Purdue next year, before Duke goes to East Lansing in 2012 or 2013.[/QUOTE]

Since I live in Columbus, I wonder when they will match Duke up with Ohio State. Maybe they'll do that next year.

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I sort of mentioned this before, but not with detail. I think the biggest reason Duke-UK is happening in 2012 in Atlanta is that, assuming traditional configuration, it is nearly impossible to sell 40,000 tickets to a November basketball game. Even with 4 great programs, Duke-UK is probably the only game that could definitely get it done. Waiting for year two allows the event to pick up momentum before bringing out the big guns. With Maui preventing Duke-KU next year, we're left with Michigan State.

As for the ACC/Big Ten, I would venture a guess that Duke will get a return trip for 2008 from Purdue next year, before Duke goes to East Lansing in 2012 or 2013.

Thanks....I did not do any due diligence and see that we are in it for a few years, that we are eventually playing the other teams...etc. Very cool that we are involved in this!!!!!

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Duke is very likely to be picked #1 or #2 in the ACC next year and would likely match up with the Big Ten counterpart. I think the odds are unlikely that Purdue falls into that spot next year with Johnson and Moore leaving after this season and Hummel's health an uncertainty.

We also won't likely get Ohio State. They lose Lighty, Diebler, and Lauderdale to graduation and Sullinger will be in the high lottery. They've got 4 top 100 recruits coming in, but no one like Sullinger who can elevate them to the top of the country.

We won't play Michigan State, because we have them in the ChampClassic.

I think it may fall to Illinois or Wisconsin, though neither figures to be a Top Ten team next year. Will Indiana have risen enough by then to get a game with Duke? I would think Cody Zeller versus UNC would be preferable, but UNC is gonna draw Mich State.

--Jason "umm, am I really wondering about stuff 12 months away?!?!" Evans

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 12:58 PM
As happy as I am that Duke is included in this event, for the reasons mentioned above I think the
tournament organizers have made a mistake to commit to four teams for the next 3 years. Who knows in three years if those four schools will be the draws that they are today? Obviously they are historically great programs, but you never know when the next Carolina-style meltdown will strike.
If the goal is to create a high profile event that starts the college season with a bang, the selection process should be more transparent and timely. Pick the lineup when you know who is returning and who has landed blue chip recruits.

Dissent-- they could do it that way but I like the notion of these 4 teams getting together and rotating the opponent each year. To get everyone to play everyone you have to do a 3 year commitment. The reason not to pick it each season is that teams need to lock games in place and high-profile teams like this often fill their schedules well in advance. Plus, it gives the game a nice continuity feel and really establishes it as an event. If you just pick the teams every year, it is really no different from the Jimmy V or other similar things where you try to get 2 top teams to play. By doing it this way, it becomes an EVENT!

Additionally, when you look at the rosters and recruiting prowess of these 4 schools, you are pretty much assured of having them in the Top 10-15 (preseason) every year for the next 3 years. And before someone chimes in and says, "the same could be said for Carolina" allow me to point out that UNC was in the preseason Top Ten this year despite their down season last year.

-Jason "I like MSU, but I really am looking forward to the Kentucky and Kansas matchups!" Evans

deezl
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Beat me to it.

Billy Dat
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I've seen some prognostication, as far as Duke being included over UNC, that is boils down to Roy's refusal to schedule Kansas.

77devil
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Wow. Makes the old Tip Off Classic pale by comparison. Would prefer Kentucky next year in the Garden where Duke has a huge alumni base in the area to draw from.

I guess Jason will be hosting the pre-game festivities in 2012. :-)

dukebluelemur
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Anyone else find it ironic, given the whole scandal with the Pumps, that the first comment from the Kansas bench concerned ticket allotments?

JasonEvans
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I've seen some prognostication, as far as Duke being included over UNC, that is boils down to Roy's refusal to schedule Kansas.

Well, seeing as no one in their right mind could say that UNC is higher than Duke on the college basketball food chain at the moment, that argument seems somewhere between ridiculous and laughable.

We really need to know who organized this thing to know how the teams were chosen. Hmmmm, is there a program that is known for liking to schedule games against prominent opponents in large neutral arenas (to duplicate an NCAA atmosphere) and that has a great relationship with the TV folks? There has to be some program like that... I wonder who it could be.

-Jason "credit where credit is due-- a friend made the above observation to me earlier today in an email" Evans

hurleyfor3
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Wow, fun. I think the only risk here is Kentucky possibly being on probation by 2013. That's about how long it takes for Calipari to get caught, right?

Unc already has the series with Kentucky, and now they serve as a sort of relief valve to hand Michigan State to in the ACC/Big Positive Integer Greater Than Nine Classic. Still, I'm sure Kansas fans are as happy as we are that Roy Williams got shut out.

Nugget
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
As one of the "critics" who has long advocated for Duke playing more big-time non-conference road games (which I still think we should do), I have to say I'm thrilled by this new event.

I've never been much moved by the argument that playing "neutral" events in places where the crowd is essentially all for Duke is that great a preparation for the NCAAs -- doing that makes the game a proxy for the tournament only in that the arena is big.

But playing Kentucky on "neutral" courts in Atlanta and Kansas at the United Center (both places where at least half the crowd, and probably more, will be against us) is fantastic, and just the kind of preparation we'd want for "neutral" NCAA tournament games like Butler (at Indy), Baylor (at Houston), Indiana (at Rupp) and Kentucky (at Tampa/St. Pete).

Major Kudos to Coach K and ESPN. When he was talking at the NCAA press conference about trying to find a new way to start the season off with a bang, he wasn't kidding around!

sagegrouse
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I hear that Roy was offered the chance to play in the Classic 10 to 12 times. :p

sagegrouse

SMO
12-08-2010, 05:23 PM

C'mon. This is clearly another Coach K ploy to avoid playing a true road game:p

awich1
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know anything about ol roy being asked or not but how could you put unc in this field now ahead of duke. That would make no sense. I think it's great that there will be 3 years of the same teams and rotating venues. I assume for years 4-6 they will pick 3 new teams.

The big message to me is ESPN- these guys rule the sports world because they are powerful, smart and imaginative.

hurleyfor3
12-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it's great that there will be 3 years of the same teams and rotating venues. I assume for years 4-6 they will pick 3 new teams.

Perhaps, and if it continues I doubt they'll ever have two teams from the same conference.

Oh BTW, this very strongly suggests Coach K has every intention of staying at Duke beyond the 2012 Olympics.

Duvall
12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Meanwhile... (http://twitter.com/ryanmgreene/status/12639332896612352)

uh_no
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM

They should have named it the CHAMPION's classic...featuring MSU, KU, and UK

nctalkinghead
12-08-2010, 06:28 PM
This event looks like fun...but you guys should have been around for the old Dixie Classic in the 1950's. Now THAT was some GREAT BASKETBALL

BD80
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
They should have named it the CHAMPION's classic...featuring MSU, KU, and UK

Maybe they wouldn't have to change the name any of the three years.

lotusland
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I just came on to post this. Awesome!

I guess this is the only way that we could get games with Kansas and UK since they aren't willing to do a home and home, not wanting to play in Cameron and what not.

:cool:

I did not know that. I've seen posts on Cats Pause claiming that Duke and UK don't play regular seaon games anymore b/c Coach K won't agree to play them away from Cameron. Not that I expect anything resembling reason on a UK board but did UK and KU actuallly turn down a home and home?

weezie
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
UCLA and unc are the other programs that should have been considered.

That is so open-minded and gentlemanly of you BD80! Seriously, I think you are a shoe-in for Miss Congeniality! :D
I'll just take the winner's crown if you don't mind....

M B Walker
12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
I found Self's comment in the ESPN article interesting: "You schedule what's best for your program and there are a lot of reasons -- recruiting, exposure and money. Sometimes you can't play too many road games due to money. It's hard to go home-and-home with Duke."

For an elite program, is it really a financial loss to play a road game vs. a neutral court game put together by ESPN? If that's true, it makes even more sense for Duke to play on neutral courts rather than home-and-away.

crimsonandblue
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I did not know that. I've seen posts on Cats Pause claiming that Duke and UK don't play regular seaon games anymore b/c Coach K won't agree to play them away from Cameron. Not that I expect anything resembling reason on a UK board but did UK and KU actuallly turn down a home and home?

In a word, no.

I don't know whether Kansas will ever get a home and home set up with Duke (heck, I'm not sure KU will ever make the return trip in football). It should happen to reward fans, but like a football playoff, what should happen for the benefit of fans often gets shunted to the side for program needs and money.

That said, one of the only interesting things I've ever heard on Self's radio show came out last night. He was asked if there was a place he'd like to visit and play and he said Durham and Cameron; that he'd never been and would like to.

Olympic Fan
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
While it's fun to see UNC excluded from this elite event, it's not as cut-and-dried as it seemed.

I'm told that they were involved in the original discussion, but their inclusion presented TWO problems. Not only they didn't want to play Duke one of the three years, but Roy also refused to play Kansas (remember, he LOVES Kansas).

So the organizers were left with the choice or UNC or Kansas AND Duke. It was easier to leave them out.

The intreresting thing will be to see what happens in Year Four of this event (or years 4-6). If the event is a success (and you know it will be) will they tweak the lineup or will they change it completely? There are plenty of historic programs waiting in the wings -- UNC is definitely one, but UCLA, Louisiville, Syracuse ... maybe Indiana will be back on track and deserve inclusion.

Just keep in mind that the idea is to have a signature event that will capture the public's attention to kickoff the season. That means they aren't necessarily looking for the best four teams in any year, but -- to the public -- the four most significant programs. That's why Michigan State is included, even though they aren't one of the four greatest programs all-time.

Nugget
12-09-2010, 01:53 PM
In a word, no.

I don't know whether Kansas will ever get a home and home set up with Duke (heck, I'm not sure KU will ever make the return trip in football). It should happen to reward fans, but like a football playoff, what should happen for the benefit of fans often gets shunted to the side for program needs and money.

That said, one of the only interesting things I've ever heard on Self's radio show came out last night. He was asked if there was a place he'd like to visit and play and he said Durham and Cameron; that he'd never been and would like to.

I thought the 1988-1989 home and home between Duke and Kansas was fantastic (at least it was for Duke fans).

It's nuts that we don't get to see a real series between the schools with 2 of the 3 best venues in baskebtall (along with the Palestra), just so Duke can have an extra home game with Elon and Kansas gets an extra home game with Alcorn St.

I've got to believe that the tv money the schools would get for the "road" game in that series, and the higher tv fee they'd get for the home game (as compared to the little they'd earn for dinky home games), plus the savings from not having to pay out a "guarantee" fee to the sacrificial lamb, would make the money sufficiently close that it wouldn't be a big $$ loser for the schools to do that kind of home and home series.

It would be great for the fans. And, surely, neither school needs to worry that potentially losing the game would make any meaningful difference in not getting a tournament bid.

Truth&Justise
11-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Reviving this old thread to take a long term look at the Champions Classic so far. As many expected a decade ago, this event has been a rousing success as the kickoff event of the season. After 11 seasons the current standings are:

Duke (7-4)
Kansas (6-5)
Kentucky (5-6)
Mich. St. (4-7)

Breaking it down further, Duke is 3-1 against Kentucky, 3-1 against Michigan St, but just 1-2 against Kansas. Let's hope Duke can top the Jayhawks next year in Indianapolis and keep that top spot overall. Interestingly, if Duke beats Kansas next year, Kansas will be 2-2 against every other team.

Oh, and the event has been renewed for three more years through 2025 (https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/11/state-farm-champions-classic-renewed-for-three-more-years/), giving Jon Scheyer a chance to prove his mettle against the top programs in the game.

uh_no
11-10-2021, 09:29 AM
Reviving this old thread to take a long term look at the Champions Classic so far. As many expected a decade ago, this event has been a rousing success as the kickoff event of the season. After 11 seasons the current standings are:

Duke (7-4)
Kansas (6-5)
Kentucky (5-6)
Mich. St. (4-7)

Breaking it down further, Duke is 3-1 against Kentucky, 3-1 against Michigan St, but just 1-2 against Kansas. Let's hope Duke can top the Jayhawks next year in Indianapolis and keep that top spot overall. Interestingly, if Duke beats Kansas next year, Kansas will be 2-2 against every other team.

Oh, and the event has been renewed for three more years through 2025 (https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/11/state-farm-champions-classic-renewed-for-three-more-years/), giving Jon Scheyer a chance to prove his mettle against the top programs in the game.

if only we were equally successful against said teams in, say, the elite 8 :(

Truth&Justise
11-10-2021, 09:34 AM
if only we were equally successful against said teams in, say, the elite 8 :(

Tournament results against Champions Classic teams since the start of the event:

2013: Duke defeats Mich. St. 71-61 in the Sweet 16
2015: Duke defeats Mich. St. 81-61 in the Final Four
2018: Duke loses to Kansas 85-81 in the Elite Eight
2019: Duke loses to Mich. St. 68-67 in the Elite Eight

So our bugaboo is either the Elite Eight, or letting our opponent score anything other than exactly 61 points.

Bluedog
11-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Tournament results against Champions Classic teams since the start of the event:

2013: Duke defeats Mich. St. 71-61 in the Sweet 16
2015: Duke defeats Mich. St. 81-61 in the Final Four
2018: Duke loses to Kansas 85-81 in the Elite Eight
2019: Duke loses to Mich. St. 68-67 in the Elite Eight

So our bugaboo is either the Elite Eight, or letting our opponent score anything other than exactly 61 points.

And both those losses hurt bad....Man, that Grayson shot at the buzzer SHOULD have gone in TWICE and IT WAS A CHARGE!!! I'm still bitter...The loss to MSU also hurt given the talent on our team but it was a back-and-forth affair that really was a coin flip at the end, so actually bothers me less for some reason (although would have loved a natty with Zion of course).