PDA

View Full Version : ol' roy - it is all about me

BD80
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
The Barry Jacobs article linked on the front page is funny, but sad:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/201012079303/one-on-one-with-roy-williams-part-i.php

ol' roy just doesn't get it. The FIRST question listed asked about the "student-athletes," but where does ol' roy go?

ACCSports.com:
Is it more and more difficult for your players to have a college student experience?

Williams:
It is harder and harder. It’s harder for a coach to have a family experience in the summer, because that part is so busy.

I was also amused at ol' roy's discussion of how he was the fastest player on his high school team. Considering he was born in a log cabin in rural carolina, that means he was faster than what - eight other guys? He was a JV player at carolina for goodness sake! I wonder how he would have fared on the playgrounds of NY or Chicago or Detroit or LA.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I actually thought that interview was pretty interesting (except the questions about "black basketball," which I hope sounded better than it read).

The real question is -- given that your teams are not scoring like they did in the past, what (if anything) are you doing to adjust your offense? He obviously recognizes the problem. I am wondering what he is trying to do to fix it (I don't watch them closely enough to see if they are really running anything different than the standard push up the floor/look for the secondary break). But they must be trying something in the halfcourt set to get different looks, no?

dukeballboy88
12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Ill take Evansville +9 tonight against the Heels all day!

Chard
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I was also amused at ol' roy's discussion of how he was the fastest player on his high school team. Considering he was born in a log cabin in rural carolina, that means he was faster than what - eight other guys? He was a JV player at carolina for goodness sake! I wonder how he would have fared on the playgrounds of NY or Chicago or Detroit or LA.

I just wanted to comment on the ignorance of this post. It was about 14 degrees here in Asheville this moring so it took me a while to make it into the cabin after my visit to the outhouse. I managed to get this here puter box to connect to dem internets and I managed to find some information. First, I know that Roy attented school in Asheville, NC, the largest city in Western North Carolina. From his bio at tarheelblue.cstv.com: (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_roy00.html)

Williams grew up in Biltmore, in south Asheville. He attended Roberson High, where he played basketball and baseball. He played basketball for Coach Buddy Baldwin, was named all-county and all-conference in 1967 and 1968, all-region in 1968 and served as captain in the North Carolina Blue-White All-Star Game.

FYI, Arden, NC is located just outside the city limits of Asheville. Arden, NC is home to Christ School. Sound familiar?

Now excuse me while I go churn some butter and brush my tooth.;)

oldnavy
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I just wanted to comment on the ignorance of this post. It was about 14 degrees here in Asheville this moring so it took me a while to make it into the cabin after my visit to the outhouse. I managed to get this here puter box to connect to dem internets and I managed to find some information. First, I know that Roy attented school in Asheville, NC, the largest city in Western North Carolina. From his bio at tarheelblue.cstv.com: (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_roy00.html)

FYI, Arden, NC is located just outside the city limits of Asheville. Arden, NC is home to Christ School. Sound familiar?

I think you may have misunderstood BD80. Roy himself plays down his roots and where he came from, I believe BD80 was just poking a little fun at Ol Roy. Asheville is a beautiful town, I have lived there and love to visit.

WiJoe
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Guud two see u got sum edjamakashun.

killerleft
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

I hope you share that tooth with family!

detule
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Ill take Evansville +9 tonight against the Heels all day!

Even better, +10 1/2

Go Aces!

BD80
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM

My apologies to everyone in Western North Carolina. I particularly feel bad for everyone who was associated with ol' roy.

I was poking fun at ol' roy, and the incredible inconsistency between his "aw shucks" facade, and his unrestrained ego. He plays up the "log cabin" po' boy image, but wants major props for being the fastest player on his high school team. Since Roberson currently has 1600 students, 9-12, it is fair to say the pool of talent isn't all that big. How big was it forty years ago? Buncombe County currently only has 6 high schools, with less than a total of 8,000 students 9-12. All-Buncombe County just ain't that big a deal.

BTW, the hillbilly references were hilarious, but you should be aware that the term hillbilly originated in Michigan! (and we are NOT talking about UPers!). So I feel qualified to offer some advise: when you are done brushing your tooth, give her a coat of varnish before putting it back in its box - it will last forever!

RaineyDevil
12-08-2010, 11:02 PM
While Buncombe county may not have the biggeset talent pool, it does have some decent talent. In recent years, it has produced the Plumlee's, David Weaver from Wake and the dying to be loved Rashad McCants from the other school, just off the top of my head.

Duke and carolina (and im sure other acc schools) football have had some recruits come from Buncombe county lately. (none i can name off the top of my head, but mainly from AC Reynolds and Asheville high) Some of those mountain boys can play some ball!

Orange&BlackSheep
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
While Buncombe county may not have the biggeset talent pool, it does have some decent talent. In recent years, it has produced the Plumlee's, David Weaver from Wake and the dying to be loved Rashad McCants from the other school, just off the top of my head.

Duke and carolina (and im sure other acc schools) football have had some recruits come from Buncombe county lately. (none i can name off the top of my head, but mainly from AC Reynolds and Asheville high) Some of those mountain boys can play some ball!

I don't think you can give it credit for the Plumlees who consider themselves from Indiana.

Les Grossman
12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Ol Roy explains why its important that all of his players see the underside of the Carolina team bus.:rolleyes:

BD80
12-09-2010, 01:05 PM

But ol' roy ain't one of them!

Buncome County had a population of 130,000 in 1960, 145,000 in 1970, and 231,000 in 2009.

http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/nc190090.txt
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/37021.html

So, generally speaking, the county had about 2,500 boys in 9-12 when ol' roy was "all-county." ol' roy was so good that he played JV at unc, and was never even a bench warmer for the big boys.

It still amuses me that ol' roy's ego has to say that he is a "running coach" because he was the fastest kid on his high school team. It sounds like greggg doyel claiming to have ability as a sports "writer" because he was such a stud athlete in high school.

miramar
12-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I was also amused at ol' roy's discussion of how he was the fastest player on his high school team. Considering he was born in a log cabin in rural carolina, that means he was faster than what - eight other guys?

Eight sounds about right, but dadgumit, since they were all inbred they weren't very quick or all that coordinated.

CEF1959
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Even better, +10 1/2

Go Aces!

That bet wouldn't have worked out so well, as it turned out (Carolina by 27).

But the OP's original point about Roy being self-absorbed is evidenced throughout the article. I especially like the part where he almost overreached by claiming he grew up with black kids, then had to correct in mid-sentence to say he grew up near them, because the neighborhoods were segregated. And his reference to his offensive success at Kansas ("See, it's the players' fault, not mine, that we don't score.") is precious. Talk about trying to burnish one's image by blaming failure on others! Sheesh.

He was born in 1950, and he went to segregated schools until 10th grade? That'd be about 1965. It took that county 11 years to implement Brown v. Bd. of Education? No wonder Roy is such a yahoo today. He was raised that way.

theAlaskanBear
12-09-2010, 03:35 PM
That bet wouldn't have worked out so well, as it turned out (Carolina by 27).

But the OP's original point about Roy being self-absorbed is evidenced throughout the article. I especially like the part where he almost overreached by claiming he grew up with black kids, then had to correct in mid-sentence to say he grew up near them, because the neighborhoods were segregated. And his reference to his offensive success at Kansas ("See, it's the players' fault, not mine, that we don't score.") is precious. Talk about trying to burnish one's image by blaming failure on others! Sheesh.

He was born in 1950, and he went to segregated schools until 10th grade? That'd be about 1965. It took that county 11 years to implement Brown v. Bd. of Education? No wonder Roy is such a yahoo today. He was raised that way.

Potshots against Roy should be gleefully taken. Lets tone down the rhetoric about where and when he grew up though -- there is plenty of ammo that these kinds of insults are not necessary.

BD80
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Potshots against Roy should be gleefully taken. ...

OK.

From his "bio"

"Williams has coached players to 25 first-team all-conference honors"

How many has he coached OUT of all-conference honors?

oldnavy
12-09-2010, 05:51 PM
OK.

From his "bio"

How many has he coached OUT of all-conference honors?

Ok, I have tried to lay off the Roy bashing, for my own health, but here is another example of his oversized EGO. Why would you not say, "Williams has coached 25 all conference players?" Why say coached players to...? Geesh!

kelly
12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
since we're on this topic, does anyone still have that webpage with a collection of bizarre action/comments by Roy Williams? It has incidents such as the pepsi vs. coke incidents, what he said about leaving Kansas, and of course watching the KU game.

Dukeface88
12-10-2010, 01:25 AM

Not to defend Roy, but that was sadly common. Brown 2's ruling that desegregation should proceed with "deliberate speed" was basically interpreted as "never" in the south. Desegregation wasn't really implemented until the Civil Rights Act (64), the Voting Rights Act (65) and the Fair Housing Act (68).

sagegrouse
12-10-2010, 06:58 AM

It's getting hard to remember that era -- good! Duke didn't integrate AT ALL until 1962, and the first four black undergraduates entered in September, 1963 with the Class of 1967. The situation was even worse in public schools throughout the region. And, of course, all of the southern states, including NC, had laws on the books enforcing racial segregation in many aspects of life.

To bring it back to basketball, the 1963 Mississippi State basketball team, victors over Kentucky in the SEC, had to sneak out of the state to play in the NCAA basketball tournament because -- duh -- there were blacks competing.

sagegrouse

Stray Gator
12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
It's getting hard to remember that era -- good! Duke didn't integrate AT ALL until 1962, and the first four black undergraduates entered in September, 1963 with the Class of 1967. The situation was even worse in public schools throughout the region. And, of course, all of the southern states, including NC, had laws on the books enforcing racial segregation in many aspects of life. ...
sagegrouse

At the high school I attended in a small North Carolina town, black students weren't admitted until my senior year, 1965-66. I recall this quite clearly because the traditional "senior class trip" to New York and DC was moved up to our junior year--ostensibly so that we could attend the New York World's Fair before it closed, but more likely to avoid having to take an integrated group. Most people today would probably find it difficult to believe what "ordinary life" was like in the South before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 accelerated the process of desegregation by making it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of race in public accomodations--restaurants, hotels, theaters, etc.

gvtucker
12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
At the high school I attended in a small North Carolina town, black students weren't admitted until my senior year, 1965-66. I recall this quite clearly because the traditional "senior class trip" to New York and DC was moved up to our junior year--ostensibly so that we could attend the New York World's Fair before it closed, but more likely to avoid having to take an integrated group. Most people today would probably find it difficult to believe what "ordinary life" was like in the South before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 accelerated the process of desegregation by making it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of race in public accomodations--restaurants, hotels, theaters, etc.

I'm surprised your school desegregated that early, Stray. It was the rare school district in the south that integrated before the late 60's. Prior to Green v. County School Board of New Kent County in 1968, it didn't happen much at all. And even for a few years after, most southern school districts weren't complying. I went to school in Texas back then, and the Department of Justice ended up suing the state in 1970 to force desegregation.

Indoor66
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Salisbury, NC integrated overnight in 1964. The town leaders, both political and business, met and decided the world had changed and they needed to go with it. Everything was integrated, immediately. The movie theaters no longer had two entrances, the restaurants served everyone the same, it all changed.

LSanders
12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I was also amused at ol' roy's discussion of how he was the fastest player on his high school team. Considering he was born in a log cabin in rural carolina, that means he was faster than what - eight other guys?

Eight? Wasn't that the entire student body?

JMarley50
12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
BTW, the hillbilly references were hilarious, but you should be aware that the term hillbilly originated in Michigan! (and we are NOT talking about UPers!). So I feel qualified to offer some advise: when you are done brushing your tooth, give her a coat of varnish before putting it back in its box - it will last forever!

Maybe you should inform the scholars and experts in Appalachia culture that you know where the term "hillbilly" originated!! Although still completely unsure of its origins they seem to believe that it is Scotch-Irish, and is a combination of two expressions, "hill-folk" meaning people who live in the hills, and "billie" which is the same as fellow or guy, and was brought to the country by the mainly Scotch-Irish population that settled the Appalachian Region. Also note that the term was first documented in the New York Journal in 1900 in an article that was referring to people from Alabama.

The hillbillies forgive you though. After all the fine folks in Michigan also thought that there was no way a few hillbillies from Appalachian State could beat their Wolverines in the Big House ;)

ArnieMc
12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised your school desegregated that early, Stray. It was the rare school district in the south that integrated before the late 60's. Prior to Green v. County School Board of New Kent County in 1968, it didn't happen much at all. And even for a few years after, most southern school districts weren't complying. I went to school in Texas back then, and the Department of Justice ended up suing the state in 1970 to force desegregation.I sat next to a black student in '58/'59 at Carr Junior High, and there were black students at Durham High while I was there from '59 through '62.

jimsumner
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I was born in 1950, grew up in rural NC and didn't attend school with a black student until 1966, which coincidentially was the year Duke had its first African American basketball player, C.B. Claiborne, who was on the freshman team that season.

For the record, I don't consider myself a yahoo.