PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football Recruiting 2011-12

Pages : [1] 2

watzone
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I figured starting a fresh football recruiting thread is in order. Duke had several verbals and prospects on campus this past weekend. Duke is loading up at the offensive line spots and here are Matt Skura, a future Blue Devils thoughts on his visit. He goes into detail and shows that kids are excited to be coming to Duke. http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/matt-skura-talks-of-his-official-visit-to-duke/

Duke will be making some offers soon and FWIW, the staff has been on the road since the Monday after the UNC game working it hard.

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Duke is loading up at the offensive line spots and here are Matt Skura, a future Blue Devils thoughts on his visit.
I can only hope that means he's so big he is plural.:D
Thanks for the update, I have no doubt that Duke's football future is bright. Dying to see last year's redshirts hit the field, I have a feeling we are going to be stronger and faster each year.

pbc2
12-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Here's another interview with one of the recent official visitors, Lucas Fisher: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/dl-prospect-lucas-fisher-talks-of-his-visit-to-duke/

In other news, Tevin Hood will be transferring out of the program.

CameronBornAndBred
12-09-2010, 05:26 PM
In other news, Tevin Hood will be transferring out of the program.
Best wishes to him. He sounds like a smart guy but obviously wants more..including a scholarship. Hard to fault him for that. It's also good to know that while he's disppointed, I'm sure that scholarship is going to a worthy player/recruit.

watzone
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/future-duke-db-jared-botd-recaps-his-visit-to-duke/ Here is another kid Duke is really high on - Jared Boyd, a DB.

johnb
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I can only hope that means he's so big he is plural.:D

he may not be, but his thoughts are.

pbc2
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Coach Luke is bringing in a nice group of offensive linemen in 2011: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/ol-commit-marcus-aprahamian-recaps-his-official-visit-and-senior-season/

pbc2
12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Duke WR Commit Blair Holliday has recently received interest/offers from UCLA and Colorado, but remains solid to Duke: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/bdn-checks-in-with-duke-wr-commit-blair-holliday/

Also, interviews with

Carson Ginn (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/carson-ginn-interview/)

Cody Robinson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/cody-robinson-interview/)

Jamison Crowder (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/jamison-crowder-interview/)

OldPhiKap
12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Duke WR Commit Blair Holliday has recently received interest/offers from UCLA and Colorado, but remains solid to Duke: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/bdn-checks-in-with-duke-wr-commit-blair-holliday/

Also, interviews with

Carson Ginn (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/carson-ginn-interview/)

Cody Robinson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/cody-robinson-interview/)

Jamison Crowder (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/jamison-crowder-interview/)

Hold the line, Blair! Welcome to what promises to be one of the most dynamic pass offenses in the country.

pbc2
12-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's an updated on Duke commit Chris Tavarez (http://bit.ly/f7216d).

Also, an interview with top TE prospect Cam Clear: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/dec/24/memphis-cameron-clear-potential-te/

BD80
12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
I can only hope that means he's so big he is plural.:D ...

he may not be, but his thoughts are.

Which distinguishes him from tar heel linemen.

Coach Luke is bringing in a nice group of offensive linemen in 2011: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/12/ol-commit-marcus-aprahamian-recaps-his-official-visit-and-senior-season/

That bodes well for the 2014-5 and 2015-6 seasons.

duke09hms
01-01-2011, 03:39 AM
With a class of 23 verbal commitments already, is it still possible for us to sign more recruits? I'm not sure what the roster limits are per year. And are we in the running for other top recruits?

GDavidson
01-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I think we only have 21 commits because we lost a couple,academics? The total number we have on schollies depends on how many redshirt jrs are invited back by the staff.

sandinmyshoes
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Depth, depth,depth. We need it. Good to see Coach Cut beefing it up.

-bdbd
01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
I think we only have 21 commits because we lost a couple,academics? The total number we have on schollies depends on how many redshirt jrs are invited back by the staff.

So what is the annual limit now? And are we in any danger of hittingt the total scholarships cap? With apparently a few top-flight recruits still in play for this year (such as Cam Clear), how many more signees are posible?

:confused:

duke09hms
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM

I was looking at ESPN recruiting site which gives Duke the most favorable rating of 23 commits: 1 four-star (Kicker/punter), 15 three-stars, and 7 two-stars.

Rivals and Scout gives Duke 21 commits: 12 three-stars and 9 two-stars. I guess you may be right, can anyone else confirm this?

The two that we lost for whatever reason are:
Kaylen Pearson, RB, 5-10, 185
Joe Watson, WR, 6-2, 210

Accounting for these two, ESPN has us at 21 commits: 1 four-star (Kicker/punter), 14 three-stars, and 6 two-stars.

Of note, we have 9 linemen coming in (6 offensive, 3 defensive), which is a huge area of need, especially on the D-line.
While the class may lack some of the star power of other recent classes (Renfree, Scott, Drew), it is still pretty deep. Probably the 2nd best class that Cutcliffe has brought in after the 2009 class (15 three/four-stars out of 27).

Much has been made of Cutcliffe's focus on in-state recruiting. Personally I don't really get why this is such a good thing - to go up against 3 in-state rivals with recent history of actual football success in a state that is not exactly football talent-rich, at least compared to TX, CA, FL, PA, and OH. Of our 21 commitments, we only have 1 from CA and 0 from TX. I know Cutcliffe has a lot of experience and history recruiting in the Southeast, but to me, it doesn't make sense to compete directly with all the SEC powers and in-state NC schools. Especially when we need all the players we can get.

Would like to see us utilize Duke's national appeal (which only few schools possess) and recruit more nationally because MANY recruits who are also great students would love to go to Duke. For example, Heisman runner-up QB Andrew Luck was reportedly interested in Duke but received no offer (now this could be because we had Renfree signed already).

Kewlswim
01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Would like to see us utilize Duke's national appeal (which only few schools possess) and recruit more nationally because MANY recruits who are also great students would love to go to Duke. For example, Heisman runner-up QB Andrew Luck was reportedly interested in Duke but received no offer (now this could be because we had Renfree signed already).

Hi

I wish we had him. WOW. I had never read that he wanted to be a Devil. Darn.

GO DUKE!

duke09hms
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, Luck was and is a top student, so we were on his list at some point but never really pursued him. He was also the same class as Renfree, and both were top-10 QB recruits (Luck #4, Renfree #10), which is probably why.

sagegrouse
01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
So what is the annual limit now? And are we in any danger of hittingt the total scholarships cap? With apparently a few top-flight recruits still in play for this year (such as Cam Clear), how many more signees are posible?

There is a limit of 85 football scholarships for D-1. It appears from the ncaa.org site that there is an annual limit of 25 scholarships in the entering class. Schools can have up to 28 annually sign letters of intent, to allow for shrinkage due to academic and other issues.

sagegrouse

duke09hms
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Well it looks like we have room for 4 more studs. Let's sign'em up Cut!

OldPhiKap
01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Much has been made of Cutcliffe's focus on in-state recruiting. Personally I don't really get why this is such a good thing - to go up against 3 in-state rivals with recent history of actual football success in a state that is not exactly football talent-rich, at least compared to TX, CA, FL, PA, and OH. Of our 21 commitments, we only have 1 from CA and 0 from TX. I know Cutcliffe has a lot of experience and history recruiting in the Southeast, but to me, it doesn't make sense to compete directly with all the SEC powers and in-state NC schools. Especially when we need all the players we can get.

My guesses:

1. Just given the pure number of folks being recruited, there is a lot more emphasis than basketball on having good contacts with the HS coaches. So building a local base is important.

2. Local recruits = local fan bases = more folks at the games.

3. I have heard (but have not confirmed) that some of the top recruits in the state of TN are committing to Duke -- shows the power of his local recruiting and name up there.

Good question, not sure my answers are right or wrong.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2011, 09:58 PM
My guesses:

1. Just given the pure number of folks being recruited, there is a lot more emphasis than basketball on having good contacts with the HS coaches. So building a local base is important.

3. I have heard (but have not confirmed) that some of the top recruits in the state of TN are committing to Duke -- shows the power of his local recruiting and name up there.

Good question, not sure my answers are right or wrong.

In item #2, you've hit the main reason Coach Cutcliffe himself has given for recruiting in state. He's also mentioned item #1 indirectly.

His recruiting in state has begun to pay some dividends. Desmond Scott and Josh Sneed are a couple of examples of in state recruits who are already important players in the program's revival.

duke09hms
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM

That is a legit reason; however, I think an even more important factor in getting people to games is winning.

More wins = stronger program = more folks at the games.

One has to wonder if we are missing out on better players nation-wide with this in-state emphasis. For example, say Pennsylvania, a more HS talent-rich state, has 100 worthy recruits vs North Carolina having 60. If we recruited hard in PA, only going up against Penn State, we'd have a much better shot of getting commitments from those 100 players once Penn State gets theirs instead of competing with UNC, NC State, Wake, and ECU for a smaller pool. Especially if those PA players didn't grow up fully aware of Duke sucking at football their entire lives.

Anyway, it's something to consider. There's definitely a potential trade-off between the pros of emphasizing in-state recruiting (slightly more local support due to local recruits) and the cons (better national talent and overall recruiting success).

In the future, if Duke is to succeed and be a perennial contender, we WILL HAVE to recruit nationally, just like the other small, academic, private schools that are successful (Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, Wake, BC . . . ). But for now, we have to get to that level, and maybe emphasizing in-state is the way in the short-term.

Bowl in 2011!

OldPhiKap
01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
That is a legit reason; however, I think an even more important factor in getting people to games is winning.

More wins = stronger program = more folks at the games.

I'm sure everyone agrees with that. I think Cut is addressing that at the moment by not worrying so much about geography, as type of player. Speed > most other considerations. If he can find his kind of players in NC, let's start there and build out. But I don't think anyone is suggesting that Cut is ignoring the rest of the country by any means.

Bowl in 2011!

I'm with 'ya, my friend. We're building towards a new Duke Football.

-bdbd
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Well it looks like we have room for 4 more studs. Let's sign'em up Cut!

It actually could be more than 4 -- as recruits who enroll for the Spring term count on this past year's numbers, and not towards the 2011 class. Just FYI.... As you said, now just go get 'em studs signed up! :)

Jim3k
01-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I think Cut is addressing that at the moment by not worrying so much about geography, as type of player. Speed > most other considerations. If he can find his kind of players in NC, let's start there and build out.

Agreed. Speed has been Cut's byword. And today, if you (collective you) saw the Rose Bowl, you saw how it succeeds. TCU's speed managed to eke out a win over Wisconsin's bulk; well, it played significantly anyway. (Wisconsin's missed field goal and failed conversion must not be overlooked.) And, you will see it again in the Oregon-Auburn game next week. Oregon got where it is due to speed. As of now, Duke is some distance from that level, but that is Cut's goal.

And, I'm pretty sure that the Old Phi Kap remembers from his day, that Bill Murray liked speed as well. It certainly helped us get to the 1961 Cotton Bowl. (Mark Leggett, anyone? Jean Berry?)

pbc2
01-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Of note, we have 9 linemen coming in (6 offensive, 3 defensive), which is a huge area of need, especially on the D-line.
While the class may lack some of the star power of other recent classes (Renfree, Scott, Drew), it is still pretty deep. Probably the 2nd best class that Cutcliffe has brought in after the 2009 class (15 three/four-stars out of 27).

Just thought I would clarify a couple things:

1. Sam Marshall will play DL, so it's 5 OL (Aprahamian, Ginn, Patrick, Robinson, Skura) and 4 DL (Brown, Fisher, Marshall, Sanders).

2. With regards to the in-state recruiting, the staff has a philosophy that the majority of kids choose to go to school within a driving-distance radius from home. This is the focus of the staff's recruiting, and why many of Duke's commits come from MD, VA, NC, TN, SC, and GA. This is also where the staff has the strongest relationships with local high schools. Coach Lubick is a nice addition to the staff, as he has ties to the west coast, and Coach Knowles has some knowledge of the northeast. We are slowly expanding our radius, pulling some good recruits out of Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, and California the last two years.

While Duke has a national reputation as a university, our football program's reputation is slowly being built at the national level.

sagegrouse
01-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Just thought I would clarify a couple things:

1. Sam Marshall will play DL, so it's 5 OL (Aprahamian, Ginn, Patrick, Robinson, Skura) and 4 DL (Brown, Fisher, Marshall, Sanders).

2. With regards to the in-state recruiting, the staff has a philosophy that the majority of kids choose to go to school within a driving-distance radius from home. This is the focus of the staff's recruiting, and why many of Duke's commits come from MD, VA, NC, TN, SC, and GA. This is also where the staff has the strongest relationships with local high schools. Coach Lubick is a nice addition to the staff, as he has ties to the west coast, and Coach Knowles has some knowledge of the northeast. We are slowly expanding our radius, pulling some good recruits out of Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, and California the last two years.

While Duke has a national reputation as a university, our football program's reputation is slowly being built at the national level.

I hear you, but Duke has historically done well recruiting in the Northeast, where the populations are large, the football schools are few, and the University's rep has been a positive. Perhaps Lubick is part of that strategy.

sagegrouse

BD80
01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
... Just given the pure number of folks being recruited, there is a lot more emphasis than basketball on having good contacts with the HS coaches. ...

True dat. Until recently, in college basketball, it was the contracts with the high school coaches that mattered, just ask uCon coach calhoun about that.

airowe
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
It actually could be more than 4 -- as recruits who enroll for the Spring term count on this past year's numbers, and not towards the 2011 class. Just FYI.... As you said, now just go get 'em studs signed up! :)

Only one guy would fit that bill.

Looks like tight ends are the last priority for this coming season with Cameron Clear (not looking likely) and David Reeves (looks more likely) the last two main targets on the board. pbc2 knows a lot more about football recruiting than me, but that's what I've gathered so far...

OldPhiKap
01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
It's a sign of the times that we have a recruiting thread at all -- let alone one this long in the middle of basketball season.

Go, Cut, Go!!!

johnb
01-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I'd guess we'd recruit any reasonable, eligible 4 star player who'd let us in the front door. cut's background is in the south, which is a plus--thought it's tough to outrecruit the state schools in nc, ga, fl, etc, which all have strong programs.

Kewlswim
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I had a post up, but can't find it. Not sure where it went. Anyway, will someone please point me towards the link where it is written that Andrew Luck wanted to attend Duke?

As an aside, I hate it when I can't find a post. I wonder if it was moved to another thread?

GO DUKE!

-bdbd
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Only one guy would fit that bill.

Looks like tight ends are the last priority for this coming season with Cameron Clear (not looking likely) and David Reeves (looks more likely) the last two main targets on the board. pbc2 knows a lot more about football recruiting than me, but that's what I've gathered so far...

Thanks Airowee. Reeves looks pretty good too. At 6'5" and 246, according to Scout he'd be our second-highest rated recruit if we got him. Would also be a statement to get a "high-3-star" recruit from Alabama, especially going up against the likes of Mississippi State, Alabama, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, South Florida, Tennessee.

Scout also shows us as having "High Interest" from CB J.J. Gaines of Texas, who is also looking at Illinois, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oregon, Rice, TCU, Texas A&M. Would be really nice to close out the recruiting year with a couple of these 3/4 star kids. Obviously we need to hold onto current commits too, as this is the time the poachers show up in force...

Overall, a good year for Cut and company. Hope someone here has added insights, news.

pbc2
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Jon Woodruff (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/01/maryland-linebacker-will-enroll-early-at-duke/) will enroll early at Duke.

Duke may look to add another defensive back with Reggie Owens switching to Old Dominion.

The Marion Hobby situation does not help with Cam Clear.

Reeves will visit at least USF and Louisiana-Lafayette in January before he commits.

pbc2
01-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I know it's the middle of ACC season, but signing day is coming up for football.

Here are a few interviews for those interested:

David Reeves (http://bit.ly/eG1w7w)

Lucas Patrick (http://bit.ly/ifR8KW)

Kyler Brown (http://bit.ly/hytFsS)

RelativeWays
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I know Holliday is now looking at UCLA since he just got the in state offer, but he has to know that Neuheisel is gone next year barring a miracle run. I hope he stays with us.

pbc2
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I know Holliday is now looking at UCLA since he just got the in state offer, but he has to know that Neuheisel is gone next year barring a miracle run. I hope he stays with us.

A lot would have to happen in a short period of time for Blair to seriously consider UCLA. In speaking with him, he has not wavered in his commitment to Duke and I got the impression that UCLA was recruiting him but the interest wasn't really mutual.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
A lot would have to happen in a short period of time for Blair to seriously consider UCLA. In speaking with him, he has not wavered in his commitment to Duke and I got the impression that UCLA was recruiting him but the interest wasn't really mutual.
Thank you for more good news!

pbc2
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Thank you for more good news!

We should have an interview with him up tomorrow.

pbc2
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Nick Hill (http://bit.ly/hApk03) interview is posted today.

Hill and Holliday are good WR prospects in the class of 2011.

pbc2
01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
We should have an interview with him up tomorrow.

Blair Holliday (http://bit.ly/eQGhuq) interview.

DukeSean
01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Blair Holliday (http://bit.ly/eQGhuq) interview.

Thanks and great to hear that he is still 100% with Duke

duke09hms
01-22-2011, 01:16 PM
The intro to the Blair Holliday interview mentions we have 20 commits.

I thought we had 21 commits (23 commits initially until 2 failed to qualify academically). Can anyone provide insight on the current situation?

Bob Green
01-22-2011, 01:24 PM
A DB, Reggie Owens, changed his commitment to Old Dominion University.

duke09hms
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Ouch, that hurts. Reggie Owens was one of our 12 three-star recruits, and a pretty big DB at 6-0.
Big loss at a huge point of need.
We still have 3 DBs signed, but 2 of them are 5-8 and 5-9, which may not help against the deep jump balls our defense loves to give up.

As of now we have 11 three-star recruits signed, a marginal improvement from last year. Cutcliffe's best class still remains the '09 class where we had 13 three-stars and 2 four-stars signed.

RelativeWays
01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Losing Bigger and Owens stinks but when they're picking ECU and ODU instead of a "better" school you have to think other issues are involved. Seems to be some optimism with the DL since the Petri hire. He's had a good run at Ol' Miss, UK and Miami.

pbc2
01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
It is now down to 19. Jalen Scoot Simmons has decommitted for SC State, so as mentioned above, you can assume that there are other issues involved.

The way to improve Duke football recruiting is to win games on the field this fall. It's that simple. 3-win seasons are tough to sell to recruits and fans alike.

duke09hms
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Ugh, lost another 3-star recruit. Jalen Simmons was a 5-7, 195 lb running back. Our class is now down to 19 commitments from 23. 10 three-stars and 9 two-stars. Turning out to be a fairly average class as of now.

Most of our decommitments have been our NC recruits, perhaps that whole in-state recruiting focus isn't working out so well.

It appears academics may have played a part in these decommitments. Personally, I think the more fruitful strategy would be to recruit nationally and use Duke's academics as a draw instead of a hindrance. We should not be losing players to schools like SC State, ECU, and Old Dominion.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
As long as Cut is getting a bunch of the players he wants, I'm okay.

Duke is not for everyone. But for those who fit the program and school, there is no substitute.

Live with what we have, and LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!

mkline09
01-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Running back Jalen Simmons has decided to go to South Carolina State instead. The Charlotte Observer quoted him as saying "Things just didn't work out."

My guess is with a deep stable of backs at least for the next couple of years, he may have felt his chances of playing time would have not been great early.

Best of luck to him.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/25/2009982/simmons-switches-to-sc-state.html#

OldPhiKap
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Signing Day's coming! Any updates or feelings by those in the know?

airowe
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Signing Day's coming! Any updates or feelings by those in the know?

pbc2's been pretty spot on lately: http://twitter.com/#!/cacchio21/status/32440306230104064

Clear picked Tennessee. We'll find out in 35 minutes if Holliday stays true to Duke. Reeves will announce tomorrow. USF and Auburn are our main competition for Reeves, who is a huge athlete at a position of need for the future...

duke09hms
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
4-star recruit TE Cameron Clear committed to Tennessee today.

I believe we are still in the running for 3-star recruit TE David Reeves although USF is thought to be his leader.

It looks like we'll finish with a recruiting class of 19: 10 three-stars and 9 two-stars. Anyone else know of other recruits who have offers?

airowe
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Blair Holliday Live Announcement Stream: http://www.calihighsports.com/live/1

Bluedog
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Blair Holliday Live Announcement Stream: http://www.calihighsports.com/live/1

Holliday to Duke! Thanks for the stream, although they need a new audio team since no sound....Holliday revealed a UCLA shirt under his sweatshirt quickly as a fake out and then grabbed a Duke hat.

Jobe01
02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm hearing now that Reeves will be signing the letter from Duke in the morning at 8 am. My sources might be mistaken, but that's what I'm hearing.

I hope this is not premature, but welcome to Duke David.

Jobe

pbc2
02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Duke National Signing Day Coverage. (http://bit.ly/g0VcDj)

Letters are rolling in.

pbc2
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
David Reeves has faxed his NLI to Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Duke National Signing Day Coverage. (http://bit.ly/g0VcDj)

Letters are rolling in.
Is the list posted only those whose letters who have actually arrived in the football office? As of this posting, only 17 names are shown, not the 19 reportedly committed and does not include Holliday.

Edit, now it's 18.

pbc2
02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Is the list posted only those whose letters who have actually arrived in the football office? As of this posting, only 17 names are shown, not the 19 reportedly committed and does not include Holliday.

Yes, only those with NLI's in. Woodruff is already enrolled so will not have one. Holliday is only outstanding, expected around noon ET.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes, only those with NLI's in. Woodruff is already enrolled so will not have one. Holliday is only outstanding, expected around noon ET.
OK, thanks. So the class is actually 20 then, including Woodruff!

-bdbd
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM

So, Holliday and Woodruff make it an even 20. A couple of the recruiting sites list a few other outstanding offers. Any chance any of those offers come in with positive answers? Or are we definitely done at 20?

Getting Reeves at the wire was a big "get" of course.

BTW, lots of articles in recent days nationally regarding programs over-signing on the number of recruits. For example, signing 30 players but with only 25 slots available. Or a program under sanctions, limited to just 15, that actually signs 25 or so (with expectations that some won't qualify). The Big-10/11 is getting kudos for controlling that practice in a legislative way. Some talk of the NCAA following suit. It seems to me that any rules which limit the number of signees committing to the big "name" football factories, especially in the SEC/southeast, would seem to help Duke in the near-future, since we already seem to adhere to this policy. Given that we had a few 3-star commits fall by the wayside in the last couple of weeks - even if not entirely of their own choosing - does Duke FB have a stated policy of NOT overcommitting on LOI's at all? It just seems that we lose a couple of kids every year at the deadline like this, which puts us under our cap perennially.

Anyway, looks like a solid class by Cut and staff. It seems like we clearly addressed a couple areas of need. Go Duke!!!

sagegrouse
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
I recently corresponded with my first cousin, who was a tackle at Clemson, on the occasion of his birthday and said I remember him striding out as captain to the center of the field for the game at Duke back in the era of one-platoon football (and ACC championships for Duke).

He wrote back that he had just looked at a copy of the football program for the game. He weighed 231 and the heaviest guy on the Clemson team was 249. "Today," he wrote, "I'd be a running back... or a water boy."

In my cousin's honor I looked at the stats for the first 19 signees (incl. early-enrollee Woodruff) It's easily updated, so keep 'em coming :D :

Mean weight: 225
Median weight: 220
Median height: 6-3
Big boy club: All five recruits over 250 are listed as OL

Extra helping club: Skinny Minnies

LB Britton Grier - 6-2 190
DB Tim Burton - 5-8 155
DL Kyler Brown - 6-4 210

Distribution by state: NC -5, TN - 4, GA - 3.

Outside the South (CSA definition): one each for Ohio, Wisconsin, and Maryland

Missing in Action: No recruits listed as Running Backs

sagegrouse

pbc2
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Blair Holliday's letter is in. That should be it for the class of 2011.

-bdbd
02-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Blair Holliday's letter is in. That should be it for the class of 2011.

So no possibility of any of the other outstanding offers - such as 3-stars J. Pickett (RB, Charlotte) or Matt Kiefer (OL, Georgia) - of coming to Duke at this point?

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm surprised that 4 guys came from TN. I'm going to hope/pretend that they were all taken from UT's potential class and not Vandy's. :D

Duke of Nashville
02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Wow. GoDuke has some videos up of some of the recruits. I am not recruiting expert nor am I the best at grading football talent but it seems like Cut's recruiting strategy of "if you can play we will recruit you" and "we want speed on the field" is showing in this class.

Check out the videos if you get some time.

When will we know if any of these guys will be redshirted? Do we have just the one showing up to campus early? When can we count on the others to start showing up on campus?

Looking forward to the upcoming years for Duke Football!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Wow. GoDuke has some videos up of some of the recruits. I am not recruiting expert nor am I the best at grading football talent but it seems like Cut's recruiting strategy of "if you can play we will recruit you" and "we want speed on the field" is showing in this class.

Check out the videos if you get some time.

When will we know if any of these guys will be redshirted? Do we have just the one showing up to campus early? When can we count on the others to start showing up on campus?

Looking forward to the upcoming years for Duke Football!
I'm sure I'll see these videos at the signing day "event" in the Sharf Center (in the K practice facility) in about 2 hours. It's open to everyone, so if you're withing driving distance, c'mon down! $20 including food and beverage.

Duke of Nashville
02-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm sure I'll see these videos at the signing day "event" in the Sharf Center (in the K practice facility) in about 2 hours. It's open to everyone, so if you're withing driving distance, c'mon down! $20 including food and beverage.

I saw that on the site as well! The eight hour drive is usually reserved for an actual game. My father and I were at the Alabama game last year and saw you on Devil's Alley and tried to get a 9F chant going. I look forward to the upcoming season. Let us know how the "Signing Day Event" goes.

J.Blink
02-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I recently corresponded with my first cousin, who was a tackle at Clemson, on the occasion of his birthday and said I remember him striding out as captain to the center of the field for the game at Duke back in the era of one-platoon football (and ACC championships for Duke).

He wrote back that he had just looked at a copy of the football program for the game. He weighed 231 and the heaviest guy on the Clemson team was 249. "Today," he wrote, "I'd be a running back... or a water boy."

My great-grandfather played football at Carolina sometime in the 1900s/1910s (black sheep in every family I guess--9f!) and was team captain his senior year. He was a guard AND the largest person on the team at a whopping 6'1 and 215 lbs. If I remember from the stat sheet correctly, the average weight of the team then was maybe 170, height maybe 5'10 / 5'11.

Shocking change in 100 years...

pbc2
02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
The Duke staff have already made a good impression on several top 2012 recruits.

Jamal Marcus (http://bit.ly/hbq03y)

Dakota Jackson (http://bit.ly/h4MpuM)

Jaleel Dukes (http://bit.ly/hSaXBF)

C.J. Stancil (http://bit.ly/hWwwoj)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I saw that on the site as well! The eight hour drive is usually reserved for an actual game. My father and I were at the Alabama game last year and saw you on Devil's Alley and tried to get a 9F chant going. I look forward to the upcoming season. Let us know how the "Signing Day Event" goes.
Understandable. Come by Brunchgate next season when you come for a game! We have up to four tickets available for most games if you need them that include "admission" to Brunchgate.

The event was great. I'm impressed with our signees. Coach Cut knows what he wants in the kids he signs, and these guys have it.

Interesting fact. A team can host up to 56 "official visits" of high school seniors to sign their up to 25 signees. Duke wanted to sign 20 players to fill their allotment of 85 scholarships. Duke signed 20 players. And they ONLY hosted 21 official visits to get those 20 signees. Read that again. We only hosted 21 players to get 20 signees. That is incredible.

pbc2
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
More 2012:

Andrew Maddox (http://bit.ly/hkUJSk)

Duke of Nashville
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the offer there Ozzie. My father and I will probably shoot for the Stanford game this coming season. Although, Harbaugh has left and it would give the experts an "excuse” I would say this could be our marquee win that our program needs.

Interesting fact! I wonder if that technique is commonly used? I know if I was a parent I would be impressed. Good Stuff. Ok, back to B-ball only 60 hours till game time!

Understandable. Come by Brunchgate next season when you come for a game! We have up to four tickets available for most games if you need them that include "admission" to Brunchgate.

The event was great. I'm impressed with our signees. Coach Cut knows what he wants in the kids he signs, and these guys have it.

Interesting fact. A team can host up to 56 "official visits" of high school seniors to sign their up to 25 signees. Duke wanted to sign 20 players to fill their allotment of 85 scholarships. Duke signed 20 players. And they ONLY hosted 21 official visits to get those 20 signees. Read that again. We only hosted 21 players to get 20 signees. That is incredible.

pbc2
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Duke is evaluating 2012 prospects in full force, and have extended several offers.

Dan Beilinson (http://bit.ly/idf4RI)

Blake Thomas (http://bit.ly/fZoBSA)

Paul Griggs (http://bit.ly/gpcq3U)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the offer there Ozzie. My father and I will probably shoot for the Stanford game this coming season. Although, Harbaugh has left and it would give the experts an "excuse” I would say this could be our marquee win that our program needs.

Interesting fact! I wonder if that technique is commonly used? I know if I was a parent I would be impressed. Good Stuff. Ok, back to B-ball only 60 hours till game time!
Check you inbox for a PM regarding Stanford tickets and Brunchgate.

pbc2
02-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Duke has offered Miami dual-threat QB Bilal Marshall (http://bit.ly/fTeVtU).

pbc2
02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Duke was among the first to offer versatile SC OL prospect Patrick DeStefano (http://bit.ly/fZu6p3).

pbc2
02-16-2011, 05:07 PM
OL prospect Oliver Lumpkin (http://bit.ly/eGPxvr) is interested in Duke.

Duke of Nashville
02-17-2011, 10:04 AM
OL prospect Oliver Lumpkin (http://bit.ly/eGPxvr) is interested in Duke.

Thanks for all the links for recruiting. I like what I see when it comes to the prospects listed above (physically, mentally). Whenever you are on a short list that includes BCS bowl winners it usually tells you what kind of talent we are going after. How large of a net does Cut and the rest of the coaches usually use? I've noticed that academics and playing time are a large focus for these guys, which I am sure is a selling point for the coaches.

I love Duke Football but my knowledge within the program is limited. From what I have read in the past our camps are competitive and the coaches handle it as if the kids were playing for Duke. Hopefully, everything will translate onto the football field and we have a couple of solid seasons strung together.

Go Duke!

-bdbd
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Speaking of academics, here's an interesting bit of recognition for the Duke FB program as tops in the ACC in academics this year - earningmore than twice the number of All-ACC Academic awardees as the nearest competitor.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/duke-football-leads-acc-in-the-classroom

Good to see these academic expectations and accomplishments continue as the program is upgrading...

pbc2
02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Academics are a big selling point for Duke football. Look at what's going on in the NFL with the CBA - there's all this talk of how short NFL careers are and how many players end up broke within a few years of retirement. A Duke degree can help players have a life after football, especially when compared to some of the degrees that the powerhouse programs offer their football players. The next step to really put Duke on the map recruiting wise is going to be putting some players in the NFL. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of NFL talent on the roster right now, but at least guys like Lewis, Rey, VO, and Okpokoworuk are still battling for roster spots.

Anyway, the most exciting thing about 2012 recruiting for Duke is that we're targeting elite QBs and RBs in this class.

Bart Houston (http://bit.ly/dHktqk) will be on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit.

pbc2
02-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Duke was the first to offer Tarboro RB Todd Gurley (http://bit.ly/iit5pb).

I believe Todd is scheduled to be on campus again today for Duke's 2nd Junior Day. The team is scrimmaging in pads today.

pbc2
02-26-2011, 09:08 AM
The team is scrimmaging again this morning.

Duke is looking at a lot of QBs in the 2012 class, including CT POY Casey Cochran (http://bit.ly/i12c95).

Here's a look at the 2011 schedule (http://bit.ly/eIDjPg).

pbc2
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
The team is off for spring break, but recruiting never stops.

LB Preston Durham (http://bit.ly/gKDCK5)

S Phil Williamson (http://bit.ly/hr7MZs)

pbc2
03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Duke is among the schools that have stood out to DE Allen Jackson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/duke-stands-out-to-allen-jackson/) so far.

devildeac
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Duke is among the schools that have stood out to DE Allen Jackson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/duke-stands-out-to-allen-jackson/) so far.

These updates are nice to read. Please continue keeping us informed.

pbc2
03-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Duke has attracted prospects from all over the country for Junior Days this spring, including a group from the midwest and quite a few from Florida. Many more will visit for the spring game on March 26.

Here are two players who were really impressed with Duke on their visits:

Florida LB Kory Williams (http://bit.ly/h31tz2)

Ohio WR Tres Barksdale (http://bit.ly/fpmKFn)

jaytoc
03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
The team is scrimmaging again this morning.

Duke is looking at a lot of QBs in the 2012 class, including CT POY Casey Cochran (http://bit.ly/i12c95).

Here's a look at the 2011 schedule (http://bit.ly/eIDjPg).

Duke fans in the know may recall that Cochran's high school, Masuk, is the alma mater of Mike Gminski.

pbc2
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Duke is looking at a number of in-state OL, including Mark Harrell (http://bit.ly/gI3pUT), who holds a Duke offer.

pbc2
03-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Duke is looking at a number of in-state OL, including Mark Harrell (http://bit.ly/gI3pUT), who holds a Duke offer.

Another in-state OL that Duke is evaluating is Jacob Ingle (http://bit.ly/fzJZ3P), from Burlington.

pbc2
03-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Duke resumed spring practice today.

Recruiting updates:

QB Matt Johnson: http://bit.ly/g69xi2

OL D.J. Humphries: http://bit.ly/fL2q5q

WR Tevin Clay: http://bit.ly/faqhNm

TE commit Erich Schneider: http://bit.ly/dNdqZn

pbc2
03-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Duke hosted a few visitors who took in spring practice over the weekend. Lots of recruits will be on hand this weekend for the spring game on Saturday at 3 PM.

Duke is looking for a QB in the class of 2012 and have several on the radar. California's Brendan Keeney (http://bit.ly/dFlQqI) is one of them.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Duke hosted a few visitors who took in spring practice over the weekend. Lots of recruits will be on hand this weekend for the spring game on Saturday at 3 PM.

Duke is looking for a QB in the class of 2012 and have several on the radar. California's Brendan Keeney (http://bit.ly/dFlQqI) is one of them.

I hope that if Duke's men's basketball team is still playing on Saturday, that the time does not interfere with the game. I seem to recall that being a problem last year.

Go Cut! Go Duke!

pbc2
03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
There is a men's lacrosse game at 1PM on Saturday, and the football game was scheduled at 3PM to avoid a conflict with that.

Continuing with the California theme today, Duke has offered OL Max Tuerk (http://bit.ly/gJlGj8).

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I hope that if Duke's men's basketball team is still playing on Saturday, that the time does not interfere with the game. I seem to recall that being a problem last year.

Go Cut! Go Duke!
Last year the footballs scrimmage was at 1P. The basketball game was several hours later. I remember enjoying both! This year I hope we play an evening game in Saturday's regional.

pbc2
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Duke will host several 2012 prospects on Saturday for the spring game, so an enthusiastic turnout would certainly help. The scheduling is unfortunate, but if Duke plays the late game Saturday, there should be enough time for local fans to be able to see both.

2 more interviews today:
Michigan DL Matt Godin (http://bit.ly/ho4I5w)

Ohio TE Tanner Kearns (http://bit.ly/gHlwVT)

-bdbd
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Last year the footballs scrimmage was at 1P. The basketball game was several hours later. I remember enjoying both! This year I hope we play an evening game in Saturday's regional.

It seems to be largely ok. The Saturday games are scheduled for 4:20 and 6:50PM EST. Obviously the late slot, which I'd expect, is zero issue. And even the early Sat slot might just impact late-scrimmage attendance, if that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/schedule/?eref=sihp

pbc2
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
California LB Deion Williams (http://bit.ly/fKVFic) will be among those in attendance in Durham this weekend.

Duke is also in the hunt for in-state lineman D.J. Reader (http://bit.ly/h6dHpz).

pbc2
03-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Statesboro (GA) athlete Michael Summers (http://bit.ly/e5vIAQ) visited Duke this past weekend and left with his first offer.

pbc2
03-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Thoughts on today's spring game (http://bit.ly/fwZKRe).

DT Korren Kirven (http://bit.ly/gaEpAL) visited Duke last weekend and said Duke, UVA, and VT have stood out so far.

pbc2
03-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Lots of recruits on campus this weekend for a damp and chilly spring game.

Spring game recap (http://bit.ly/e8gth3).

pbc2
03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
DE Allen Jackson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/duke-stands-out-to-allen-jackson/) committed to Duke yesterday at the spring game.

pbc2
03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
DE Allen Jackson (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/duke-stands-out-to-allen-jackson/) committed to Duke yesterday at the spring game.

Updated article (http://bit.ly/eRGS8c) with quotes. Coach Petri gets his first commit at Duke.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the updates. It certainly was gratifying to see that Coach Petri played a major part in that commitment on Saturday.

loran16
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Nice. If Scout's numbers are right, he's 6'5" which would put him among the tallest on the team, though he probably needs to gain weight (listed at 225).

sagegrouse
03-28-2011, 02:17 PM

What's the scorecard on Duke commitments for the Class of 2012?

Thanks for keeping us up to date on football recruiting.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
03-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Nice. If Scout's numbers are right, he's 6'5"

I'll believe it when I can count the cinder blocks myself.

Good get by the coaches, welcome to Duke Allen!

pbc2
03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Duke staff setting their sights on some top prospects in the class of 2012:

DE Jordan Watkins (http://bit.ly/ihnwOk)

QB/ATH Oshay Dunmore (http://bit.ly/eIREh5)

pbc2
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Top TE Justin Meredith (http://bit.ly/hvn8mH) had great things to say about Duke, but it may be tough to steal him from Clemson.

duke09hms
03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Perhaps it would be best to make a new thread - Duke Football Recruiting 2011-2012

formerdukeathlete
03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the updates. It certainly was gratifying to see that Coach Petri played a major part in that commitment on Saturday.

I think metaphorically this was a case of our barking up the right tree and then Coach Petri being effective, etc. Jackson attends one of the fine prep schools in the Baltimore area and presumably will be well prepared for Duke. He was receptive to Duke partly or in large part for this reason. He is definitely a cut above our defensive recruits on average the last few years. Cut needs to focus on these types of students nationally.

pbc2
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Perhaps it would be best to make a new thread - Duke Football Recruiting 2011-2012

I'm fine with that, or just renaming this thread. Whatever the mods want to do.

Colorado WR Max McCaffrey (http://bit.ly/i5IfbM) has a Duke offer.

Bob Green
03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm fine with that, or just renaming this thread. Whatever the mods want to do.

I renamed the thread so we are good to go for the next year.

Acymetric
03-30-2011, 01:59 AM
I renamed the thread so we are good to go for the next year.

Aw c'mon...the football team deserves a fresh recruiting thread each year too.

pbc2
03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
DC athlete Albert Reid (http://bit.ly/f7xIAA) has offers from Duke and Stanford.

pbc2
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Another top athlete, Ron Geohaghan (http://bit.ly/gtQIx1), is considering Duke and visited recently.

pbc2
04-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Spring evaluation period began on Friday and football recruiting is heating up.

Safety C.J. Prosise (http://bit.ly/i5V2NZ)

sagegrouse
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I got a "thank you" phone call today from WR Preston Scott of Queens, NY for my Iron Dukes donation. It was the first phone call ever, and I appreciated it.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I got a "thank you" phone call today from WR Preston Scott of Queens, NY for my Iron Dukes donation. It was the first phone call ever, and I appreciated it.

sagegrouse
I got a call from a sophomore on the girls rowing team. She left me a voice mail thanking me for my donations.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-18-2011, 07:30 AM

sagegrouse
Over the years I've received calls from a members of the men's tennis team, the women's golf team and the field hockey team. Each has been very appreciative and genuine in what they had to say. Last year's caller has become a regular at my tailgate parties and the most recent caller is joining the undergraduate guest list for the fall.

This gesture is especially important for us donors since it begins to "put a face" on those who benefit from our gifts. I think it also benefits the students who may connect with alumni who can share with them a broader perspective about Duke.

pbc2
04-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Duke and Stanford are battling for Texas RB/WB Dontonio Jordan (http://bit.ly/fEy0dJ)

I got a call from my friend Braxton Deaver.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Duke and Stanford are battling for Texas RB/WB Dontonio Jordan (http://bit.ly/fEy0dJ)

I got a call from my friend Braxton Deaver.
I wish we had a like button on this web site. I'd use it for this post.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I wish we had a like button on this web site. I'd use it for this post.
You do. It's the little red and green smiley thing :cool:

House G
04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I got a call from a sophomore on the girls rowing team. She left me a voice mail thanking me for my donations.

Mmmmmm--not sure about this.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Mmmmmm--not sure about this.
What aren't you sure of? She called, got the machine, and left a recorded message. I don't remember her name, but she said she was a sophomore on the rowing team. I listened to it and deleted the message.

House G
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
What aren't you sure of? She called, got the machine, and left a recorded message. I don't remember her name, but she said she was a sophomore on the rowing team. I listened to it and deleted the message.

Your "donations".

House G
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM

I meant it as a joke--I realize your donations were to the Iron Dukes but it sounded like you had donated to the women's rowing team. :)

pbc2
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Duke has brought in some talent from the state of Florida in recent years, and is aggressively pursuing several prospects in 2012, including CB Larry Hope (http://bit.ly/eFCr6G).

pbc2
04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Can be tough to get West Coast talent to take a serious look at East Coast schools, but Duke has offered a few and hopes to get them on campus:

TE Evan Baylis (http://bit.ly/e8kOrN)

DB Jonavaughn Williams (http://bit.ly/e1Vaw0)

pbc2
04-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Duke has strong interest in FL WR Jared Crump (http://bit.ly/fWuTxo).

pbc2
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Duke has strong interest in FL WR Jared Crump (http://bit.ly/fWuTxo).

After landing Blair Holliday in the class of 2011, Duke looks to add another California wideout in 2012:

Justin Johnson (http://bit.ly/i2kaxg)

pbc2
04-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Duke and South Alabama are the first two schools to offer Alabama DE Torey Agee (http://bit.ly/gZSYtQ), son of Auburn fullback Tommie Agee. Blue Devils hope to get the run-stopper on campus this summer for a visit.

pbc2
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Blue Devils continue to recruit elite running backs, and have offered GA standout Nick Tompkins (http://bit.ly/dWJJdS).

roywhite
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
pbc2, appreciate your updates, and I do think Coach Cut and his staff have things going in the right direction.

But, to illustrate the challenge, look at some of the figures in this
rivals.com study of players drafted, by college since 2000 (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1215565)

Just to look at ACC draftees in that time
BC 22
CL 29
Duke 2
FSU 59
GT 27
MD 28
Miami 67
UNC 29
NCS 28
UVa 52
WF 19

The numbers don't look better when compared to other conferences or even to academically-oriented BCS schools like Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford.

TruBlu
04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow, Roy! I knew it was bad, but had no idea of how bad. That stat alone is enough to make recruiting difficult. Takes a lot more effort to climb out of a hole than to fall into one. Thankfully, our coaches and staff are making the effort to climb.

sagegrouse
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
pbc2, appreciate your updates, and I do think Coach Cut and his staff have things going in the right direction.

But, to illustrate the challenge, look at some of the figures in this
rivals.com study of players drafted, by college since 2000 (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1215565)

The numbers don't look better when compared to other conferences or even to academically-oriented BCS schools like Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford.

Here's a similar table with schools ranked by number of draftees, whcih I published last October:

ACC Draftees by School
2001-2010

Duke 1
Wake 16
BC 19
GT 24
State 27
UNC 27
Md 27
Clemson 29
UVa 30
VT 47
FSU 52
Miami 62

The awfulness of this recruiting picture is that Wake, the second lowest, has SIXTEEN TIMES as many draftees as Duke. Now I know that drafting is an imperfect measure of college performance (NFL driven by total athleticism and not football skill levels), but still...

There is an overall picture here as well. VT, FSU and Miami are at a different level from the other schools. There is a grouping of six schools between 24 and 30 -- that's 2.4 to 3.0 draftees per year. BC and Wake are a tad lower. The NFL readiness of Duke football players is on another planet.

Improving Duke football is a long-term job, and I hope that Coach Cut gets 5-7 years to change this picture.

sagegrouse

devildeac
04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Blue Devils continue to recruit elite running backs, and have offered GA standout Nick Tompkins (http://bit.ly/dWJJdS).

Any idea if Duke is recruiting/has any chance with this young RB from Millbrook HS in Raleigh (from where all 3 of my children graduated and about as close to my house as Josh Snead's HS was to Ozzie's house;))?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/28/1159090/millbrook-wins-cap-8.html

Last Paragraph: "Keith Marshall, the No. 1 football recruit in the state, broke Millbrook's school record in the 200 with a time of 21.3."

Bob Green
05-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Duke has picked up their third commitment in the Class of 2012 in Florida safety Dwayne Norman:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/05/dwayne-norman-commits-to-duke/

devildeac
05-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Duke has picked up their third commitment in the Class of 2012 in Florida safety Dwayne Norman:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/05/dwayne-norman-commits-to-duke/

Reasonable size, too, at 6'0" and not 5'9" like some of our guys have been over the last several years. More difficult to throw over, especially in the red zone/end zone.

pbc2
05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Duke got #4 in the class of 2012 today, LB Deion Williams (http://bit.ly/l19BF7).

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Duke got #4 in the class of 2012 today, LB Deion Williams (http://bit.ly/l19BF7).
Welcome to Duke Deion! You'll have a great four (or five) years here!:cool:

duke09hms
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Great gets for Duke! I really appreciate the coaching staff's national focus on recruiting and using duke's academics as a draw rather than an obstacle.

Given the state of HS football recruiting, these commitments are no guarantee these players will actually step onto campus, but this is strong momentum for the class. Looking forward to this season!

pbc2
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
5th verbal commitment in 2012 today: Max McCaffrey (http://bit.ly/jLEqHd)

The staff is on a roll.

pbc2
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM

The staff is on a roll.

Duke is also recruiting Max's teammate, OL Alex Kozan (http://bit.ly/jVFGAT).

roywhite
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM

The staff is on a roll.

Hey, Billy's nephew and son of NFL receiver Ed. Cool.

Thought maybe the bridges were burnt a bit for the family when Billy transferred; evidently bygones.

sagegrouse
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM

The staff is on a roll.

Now, the real story is that (unless I am sadly mistaken) Max's maternal grandfather is world recorder holder and Olympic silver medalist Dave Sime, who once help three world records -- 100 yds., 220, and 220 hurdles. Dave was Duke circa '58, Duke med circa '62. Ed, who attended Stanford, married Dave's daughter, who was a soccer player there IIRC.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
06-01-2011, 05:31 PM

The staff is on a roll.

Now, the real story is that (unless I am sadly mistaken) Max's maternal grandfather is world recorder holder and Olympic silver medalist Dave Sime, who once help three world records -- 100 yds., 220, and 220 hurdles. Dave was Duke circa '58, Duke med circa '62. Ed, who attended Stanford, married Dave's daughter, who was a soccer player there IIRC.

sagegrouse
Very cool indeed! Welcome to Duke Max! We look forward to watching you play and set your own records and win your own championships in Wallace Wade Stadium! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM

sagegrouse
Now we're talking! What great genes!

Reilly
06-01-2011, 07:20 PM
This article has lots of info on Dave Sime:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/c-track/spec-rel/041608aaa.html

So, Max's great-grandfather was a Triple A baseball player; grandfather world record holder; father NFLer; mother Stanford soccer; uncle on mother's side Duke football player; uncle on father's side Duke b'ball player; aunt UVa tennis player ....

OZZIE4DUKE
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM

So, Max's great-grandfather was a Triple A baseball player; grandfather world record holder; father NFLer; mother Stanford soccer; uncle on mother's side Duke football player; uncle on father's side Duke b'ball player; aunt UVa tennis player ....
That's one heck of a lineage. If he was a horse, he'd be the odds on favorite to win the Triple Crown! :cool:

DevilHorse
06-01-2011, 10:27 PM
That's one heck of a lineage. If he was a horse, he'd be the odds on favorite to win the Triple Crown! :cool:

If only he was still 3 years old :)

Larry

johnb
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Similar to Singler.

It might also be similar to several other players who have professional athlete parents if their grandparents and greatgrandparents hadn't been barred from playing intercollegiate and professional sports.

pbc2
06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Weekly look at Duke Football is up and free on BDN (http://bit.ly/m3eHso).

pbc2
06-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Commitment #6 is in today - DT Carlos Wray (http://bit.ly/lJQxy0).

roywhite
06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Commitment #6 is in today - DT Carlos Wray (http://bit.ly/lJQxy0).

Thanks for updating, pbc.

A pass rushing defensive end?
Good to hear, certainly a position of need.

username
06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Weekly look at Duke Football is up and free on BDN (http://bit.ly/m3eHso).

Loved the part about Justin Johnson, especially this:

At the end I got a chance to check out the Duke annual sale and bought a lot of gear. Commitment is on my mind and may be done soon.

:)

pbc2
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Weekly look at Duke Football: Football Friday (http://bit.ly/mTbuUv).

pbc2
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Duke adds 6'3" 261 OL Casey Blaser (http://bit.ly/lmLiu2) to the class of 2012.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Duke adds 6'3" 261 OL Casey Blaser (http://bit.ly/lmLiu2) to the class of 2012.
Excellent news! Welcome to Duke Casey! :cool:

pbc2
06-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Duke adds 6'5" 261 OL Casey Blaser (http://bit.ly/lmLiu2) to the class of 2012.

Updated article (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/casey-blaser-commits-to-duke/) with quotes from the newest Blue Devil. Also, Casey is 6'5", not 6'3."

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Updated article (http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/casey-blaser-commits-to-duke/) with quotes from the newest Blue Devil. Also, Casey is 6'5", not 6'3."

Now that's more like it! Getting closer to roadgrader size!;)

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Good lord. He should play quarterback!! :rolleyes:

While I love football, I'll never claim to understand the intricacies of postion..but it does seem with that height he'd almost be better served on defense...a QB's nightmare. (Since he doesn't realize he is not too short to be a QB himself.)

Welcome to Duke Casey!

jimsumner
06-19-2011, 03:50 PM

While I love football, I'll never claim to understand the intricacies of postion..but it does seem with that height he'd almost be better served on defense...a QB's nightmare. (Since he doesn't realize he is not too short to be a QB himself.)

Welcome to Duke Casey!

Offensive tackles tend to be in the 6-5 and taller range. At 261, he's got some serious time in the weight room ahead of him but the frame is there.

roywhite
06-19-2011, 04:20 PM

Welcome to Duke Casey!

No doubt linemen on both sides of the ball are big and strong.

On offense, the premium is on strength, leverage, and technique; height can be an advantage, particularly at offensive tackle.

On defense, quickness and explosiveness are important along with general size and strength. Good defensive linemen tend to be faster and not as tall as their counterparts on offense. Some very good defensive ends are tall with long wingspans.

For Duke, there is really good progress being made in developing a talented, deep offensive line, whereas defensive line is probably the biggest area for improvement.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2011, 04:49 PM

That's about half a cinder block difference. Someone better get a photo of him from some odd angle, and quick!

Welcome, Casey!

devildeac
06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
That's about half a cinder block difference. Someone better get a photo of him from some odd angle, and quick!

Welcome, Casey!

Shame on you. The cinder block standard only applies to basketball and then, only to wingspan and not height.

My new SIL worked the HS FB camp at Duke yesterday and the players and staff were all aflutter (that's not atrial flutter for you cardiologists in Charlotte who might read this thread;)) about the RB from the Charlotte area who ran a wind-impeded 4.25 40 yard dash yesterday. He couldn't remember his name but Thad apparently spent a bunch of time with him, too.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Shame on you. The cinder block standard only applies to basketball and then, only to wingspan and not height.

My new SIL worked the HS FB camp at Duke yesterday and the players and staff were all aflutter (that's not atrial flutter for you cardiologists in Charlotte who might read this thread;)) about the RB from the Charlotte area who ran a wind-impeded 4.25 40 yard dash yesterday. He couldn't remember his name but Thad apparently spent a bunch of time with him, too.

Actually, I thought it only applied to quarterbacks. But I won't pick a quibble with someone going through two kids' weddings. (Congrats again, BTW).

I remember a SI article from years past about some running back who wanted to come to Duke, but had a bad 40 yard dash time. The father asked -- "Coach, when's the last time a Duke back ran 40 yards in a play?" and then got a scholarship. My, how times have changed. (For the better).

Go Duke, Go Cut!!!

devildeac
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Actually, I thought it only applied to quarterbacks. But I won't pick a quibble with someone going through two kids' weddings. (Congrats again, BTW).

I remember a SI article from years past about some running back who wanted to come to Duke, but had a bad 40 yard dash time. The father asked -- "Coach, when's the last time a Duke back ran 40 yards in a play?" and then got a scholarship. My, how times have changed. (For the better).

Go Duke, Go Cut!!!

Yea, the vision gets a bit fuzzy and the thinking a bit suspect with two weddings in one year:eek:.

I'd like the young man, Keith Marshall, from Millbrook HS here in Raleigh, to get serious about Duke, but he might be destined to more distant pastures. Maybe OZZIE could get Josh Snead to chat with him about the benefits of staying close to home;).

pbc2
06-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Jela Duncan?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Jela Duncan?
They're drooling over him over on Carolina Blue saying that Jela likes Carolina football and how Butch Davis grooms players. Funny thing is that he chose Duke's camp first.

OldPhiKap
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
They're drooling over him over on Carolina Blue saying that Jela likes Carolina football and how Butch Davis grooms players. Funny thing is that he chose Duke's camp first.

Who wants to commit to a school that may be on probation, and to a coach that may be sanctioned?

OZZIE4DUKE
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Who wants to commit to a school that may be on probation, and to a coach that may be sanctioned?
Far too many players. :mad:

devildeac
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Jela Duncan?

That must be who it is. He saw so many players that day he could not remember the name. Interestingly, just looked at the espn recruiting site and he listed UK, WFU, VT and Duke as his schools of interest and the university of numerous cheaters was not listed. Old info?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
That must be who it is. He saw so many players that day he could not remember the name. Interestingly, just looked at the espn recruiting site and he listed UK, WFU, VT and Duke as his schools of interest and the university of numerous cheaters was not listed. Old info?
The most recent cheater tweet was from Saturday. http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Board/141/2012-RB-Jela-Duncan-just-ran-a-425-40-Duke-camp-today-2735787/1

pbc2
06-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Duke building a foundation in the class of 2012 with another OL commit - 6'6" 260 pound Tanner Stone (http://bit.ly/j8rTTb).

Dev11
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Duke building a foundation in the class of 2012 with another OL commit - 6'6" 260 pound Tanner Stone (http://bit.ly/j8rTTb).

is an O-Line name if ever there was one.

pbc2
06-24-2011, 12:29 AM
After adding Will Monday, one of the top punters in the country in 2011, Duke adds the #2 kicker in the country in 2012.

Ross Martin (http://bit.ly/mGvmxO)

devildeac
06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
After adding Will Monday, one of the top punters in the country in 2011, Duke adds the #2 kicker in the country in 2012.

Why? I thought Mr. Snyderwine had been here forever and was never going to graduate:rolleyes:.

(jk)

Seriously, thanks for the update. Sounds like a great addition. Welcome Ross Martin!

CameronBornAndBred
06-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Very cool, Scout has him listed as #1. By the way, Snyderwine was picked preseason as the #4 college kicker. Not bad for a walk-on!

roywhite
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Very cool, Scout has him listed as #1. By the way, Snyderwine was picked preseason as the #4 college kicker. Not bad for a walk-on!

A good illustration of how tricky it is to evaluate young kickers. We now hope that the #1 rated high school kicker becomes as good as our current kicker, who started as a walk-on. At any rate, Coach Cut and his staff seem to be rounding up another good class.

pbc2
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
In-depth look at Duke Football 2012 Recruiting: http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/football-friday-6-24-2011/

jimsumner
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
A good illustration of how tricky it is to evaluate young kickers. We now hope that the #1 rated high school kicker becomes as good as our current kicker, who started as a walk-on. At any rate, Coach Cut and his staff seem to be rounding up another good class.

Yep. Brent Garber, Alex Feinberg and Joe Surgan were all top-five place-kickers in high school. So, wait-and-see seems to be the prudent approach.

pbc2
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Updated Ross Martin (http://bit.ly/jfIO8G) article with an interview.

Impressive get for Duke!

pbc2
06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Duke adds commitment #10 today, and the 3rd this week:

6'4" 250 pound DE A.J. Wolf (http://bit.ly/la6s2L)

devildeac
06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Duke adds commitment #10 today, and the 3rd this week:

6'4" 250 pound DE A.J. Wolf (http://bit.ly/la6s2L)

Any late-breaking reports about this fellow:

Daniel Beilinson
TIGHT END
CLASS: 2012
SCOUTS GRADE
Grading Scale

Cary, NC
HOMETOWN
Panther Creek
HIGH SCHOOL
6-5
HEIGHT
225 lbs
WEIGHT

OVERALL RANK

Undeclared
CONSIDERING
Arizona State Sun Devils, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina State Wolfpack, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, Vanderbilt Commodores

Evaluation
Beilinson is a tight end prospect with good height. He needs to work to fill out that frame some and add more good bulk. He is a kid that displays the ability to be a productive part of a passing attack. He has good hands...

pbc2
06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Any late-breaking reports about this fellow:

Daniel Beilinson
TIGHT END
CLASS: 2012
SCOUTS GRADE
Grading Scale

Cary, NC
HOMETOWN
Panther Creek
HIGH SCHOOL
6-5
HEIGHT
225 lbs
WEIGHT

OVERALL RANK

Undeclared
CONSIDERING
Arizona State Sun Devils, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina State Wolfpack, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, Vanderbilt Commodores

Evaluation
Beilinson is a tight end prospect with good height. He needs to work to fill out that frame some and add more good bulk. He is a kid that displays the ability to be a productive part of a passing attack. He has good hands...

How did you know?

TE Dan Beilinson (http://bit.ly/lWL27U) commits to Duke.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I love the trend I'm seeing the the weights and heights of these guys. To play with the big boys, you also have to have big boys on your team!

devildeac
06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
How did you know?

TE Dan Beilinson (http://bit.ly/lWL27U) commits to Duke.

My secret Blue Devil Whisperer told me;).

(you just might want to check your PM folder:cool:)

watzone
06-25-2011, 09:01 PM
My man Patrick is breaking prospects to Duke left and right these days. If you have never read his "Football Friday," articles, then do so. It's clearly the best weekly football feature on Duke that can be found in any medium. Looks like Duke is saving a few spots for skilled players. The latest verbal is a big one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
My man Patrick is breaking prospects to Duke left and right these days. If you have never read his "Football Friday," articles, then do so. It's clearly the best weekly football feature on Duke that can be found in any medium. Looks like Duke is saving a few spots for skilled players. The latest verbal is a big one.
Thank you to you and Patrick for making me feel as if I was in the middle of the room when each one of these guys makes his decision!

devildeac
06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
My man Patrick is breaking prospects to Duke left and right these days. If you have never read his "Football Friday," articles, then do so. It's c;)learly the best weekly football feature on Duke that can be found in any medium. Looks like Duke is saving a few spots for skilled players. The latest verbal is a big one.

Nice pun, Mark. I'd agree that at 6'5" and 225, he is a "big one.";)

roywhite
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Here's an article from the Winston-Salem Journal about 3 recent Duke football commitments (http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/jun/28/wssport02-duke-gets-commitments-from-a-trio-of-pla-ar-1159811/)

Additionally, the class seems to be of high quality so far, according to recruiting rankings from Rivals.com (http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/duke-2)

7 of the 11 announced commitments are rated with 3-stars.

Bluedog
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
I really like the trend of winning recruiting battles with other quality BCS schools. We've gotten commitments from guys who were also being recruited by NC State, ASU, Wake, Stanford, Miami, Vandy, and others. These are battles we NEED to be in! It seems like in the past we were continually going up against the likes of Old Dominion, ECU, Western Carolina, etc. While I respect those institutions and what they've done for the football programs, we are DUKE and should have a large enough appeal to get high quality recruits to choose us over the big boys. The schedule this season looks tough to get bowl eligible, but anything can happen and I do like the trend of the program. We just really need to ramp up our defense to be able to defeat some quality teams.

pbc2
06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Coach Cut gets his man: QB Thomas Sirk commits (http://bit.ly/mG4c1o) to Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Well he is definitely not too short! Sounds like a project QB, but Cut has earned his rep as a QB's teacher.

roywhite
06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Didn't know much about him, but he seems like an interesting prospect from his rivals.com profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Thomas-Sirk-120239)

He's got size (6'5" shown here; 6'6" elsewhere), speed (4.56 40-yd) and brains (4.5 GPA). Even allowing for some typical recruiting site numbers inflation, that's quite a combination. Sirk has played a number of different positions and probably needs some tutoring at the QB position. But who better to provide that?

I trust Coach Cut's judgment in evaluating players, but I especially trust his judgment in picking Quarterbacks. He's developing good prospects for the Blue Devils at that position for the next several years.

pbc2
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I spoke with Thomas and he indicated the plan is for him to redshirt.

He played mostly WR up until this year. He will start at QB this fall. As for tutoring, he's been working with David Morris (QB Country), who played for Cut at Ole Miss behind Eli and went on to play professionally as well. Sirk's highlight video earned him invites to camps at FSU, UF, TN, and he certainly may have earned an offer or two on the camp circuit, but he was too excited about the Duke opportunity to pass it up.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Didn't know much about him, but he seems like an interesting prospect from his rivals.com profile (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Thomas-Sirk-120239)

He's got size (6'5" shown here; 6'6" elsewhere), speed (4.56 40-yd) and brains (4.5 GPA). Even allowing for some typical recruiting site numbers inflation, that's quite a combination. Sirk has played a number of different positions and probably needs some tutoring at the QB position. But who better to provide that?

I trust Coach Cut's judgment in evaluating players, but I especially trust his judgment in picking Quarterbacks. He's developing good prospects for the Blue Devils at that position for the next several years.

You are so right! Good timing at the Duke camp paid off big time.

Take a look at the sizes of the top QB's in the SEC last year.... this guy fits the prototype. Throw in the bigger and faster OL and LB's being brought in and the picture for Duke looks better and better.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM

He played mostly WR up until this year. He will start at QB this fall. As for tutoring, he's been working with David Morris (QB Country), who played for Cut at Ole Miss behind Eli and went on to play professionally as well. Sirk's highlight video earned him invites to camps at FSU, UF, TN, and he certainly may have earned an offer or two on the camp circuit, but he was too excited about the Duke opportunity to pass it up.
This recruit's story is the sort of news that makes my day! Hallelujah!

devildeac
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Hopefully, we'll hear a lot of "Sirk to Beilinson for the TD" over the next few years;). Thanks for reporting!

OldPhiKap
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
^ 6'6", 212 lbs. That's a lot of cinder blocks right there.

Welcome, Thomas!

Olympic Fan
06-29-2011, 04:30 PM

The redshirt angle makes sense -- he will be a first-year freshman in 2012, when Renfree is a fifth-year senior; Connette is a third-year junior and Boone is a third-year sophomore. That's a nice progression.

Cut once said that his ideal plan is to redshirt a great QB prospect, use him off the bench as a redshirt freshman, then have him start for three years. That's what he did with Eli Manning and what he's doing with Renfree.

I like the way the redshirt plan is working. We've still had to play a few first-year guys (Varner, Vernon, Braxton at WR, Kelby Brown at LB, Matt Daniels at S), but we're redshirting more and more -- so far Cut has been able to redshirt every single OL recruit (one reason the long-term future of the line is looking good).

We have SEVEN redshirt freshmen DL -- I'll be interested to see which is any have impact. That doesn't include Blakeney at S or France at LB. Obviously, Cofield and Tomlinson on the OL and Deaver at TE are exciting redshirt freshmen. Just because a kid is a redshirt doesn't mean he's not going to be a star -- many of the most important/best players on the team were redshirted -- Renfree, Kyle Hill, Ross Cockrell ...

Oh, and I want to add, welcome to Duke Thomas.

PDDuke85
06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
^ 6'6", 212 lbs. That's a lot of cinder blocks right there.

Welcome, Thomas!

That young man is almost tall enough to satisfy the requirement as set forth by the former one
:cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Very exciting numbers this guy sports! If his talents at QB develop under Cut's tutelage as expected, we'll have an All ACC QB in a few years! If not, we'll have one heckuva free safety!

Welcome to Duke Thomas! :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Very exciting numbers this guy sports! If his talents at QB develop under Cut's tutelage as expected, we'll have an All ACC QB in a few years! If not, we'll have one heckuva free safety!

Welcome to Duke Thomas! :cool:
I would love to see a guy with that height and speed on defense.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-29-2011, 08:06 PM
One of the best captions regarding our goals for the future....
http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/100_0554-lg-300x200.jpg
Give us back the Victory Bell, cheaters.

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
One of the best captions regarding our goals for the future....
http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/100_0554-lg-300x200.jpg
Give us back the Victory Bell, cheaters.
In all respect...let's earn it back.

Gewebe14
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
In all respect...let's earn it back.

Perhaps, given a fair chance, we would have earned it back. There have been some mighty close contests in the Butchy Cheater Era - I bet some of those professional unc players helped tilt the tide.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Perhaps, given a fair chance, we would have earned it back. There have been some mighty close contests in the Butchy Cheater Era - I bet some of those professional unc players helped tilt the tide.

Wonder what happens if they have to vacate the win.

But yeah, let's whoop 'em on the field!

Highlander
06-30-2011, 08:24 AM
I like the way the redshirt plan is working. We've still had to play a few first-year guys (Varner, Vernon, Braxton at WR, Kelby Brown at LB, Matt Daniels at S), but we're redshirting more and more -- so far Cut has been able to redshirt every single OL recruit (one reason the long-term future of the line is looking good).

We have SEVEN redshirt freshmen DL -- I'll be interested to see which is any have impact. That doesn't include Blakeney at S or France at LB. Obviously, Cofield and Tomlinson on the OL and Deaver at TE are exciting redshirt freshmen. Just because a kid is a redshirt doesn't mean he's not going to be a star -- many of the most important/best players on the team were redshirted -- Renfree, Kyle Hill, Ross Cockrell ...

Agree 100% with your thoughts on redshirting. Maybe it's just perception, but I thought very few players redshirted under our previous two coaches, and that it was always a sore spot of concern for fans. Does anyone know of any stats to compare redshirt #'s from Cutcliffe against his predecessors? I'd love to know how much more we are redshirting more than we used to, and whether it's on a similar scale to the rest of the conference.

devildeac
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Agree 100% with your thoughts on redshirting. Maybe it's just perception, but I thought very few players redshirted under our previous two coaches, and that it was always a sore spot of concern for fans. Does anyone know of any stats to compare redshirt #'s from Cutcliffe against his predecessors? I'd love to know how much more we are redshirting more than we used to, and whether it's on a similar scale to the rest of the conference.

I am doing this from recall, which at my age is still pretty good, and I seem to remember that we "led" the nation (and not in the good way) or were near the top in # of freshman who played regularly and were not redshirted. I think we often had ~15 freshman who played serious minutes their 1st year. WFU built their program with large #s of their frosh getting the 'shirt. The plan/philosophy was obvious. You have bigger/stronger/faster players more familiar with the system as 3rd/4th/5th year players than you do with an inexperienced 1st year guy. My understanding was we did it out of necessity to put players on the field. I'll estimate that Cut has had about 1/3 those numbers or 5 players/year who played a bunch of minutes their first year. I'll obviously defer to Jim Sumner, Mark Watson, Patrick Cacchio and Olympic Fan who follow the program much more closely than I do and may have those stats in their football folders/info or better recall than I have.

CameronBornAndBred
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
The beauty of our redshirts is that the majority of our team is freshmen and sophomores. While it takes a huge amount of patience to look to tomorrow, in the long run just think of how Duke is going to look in 2 years with the combined speed, strength AND experience that we will have. The days of the media selecting Duke pre-season basement dwellers are going to be ending in the near future; the anticipation is torture, but it will be a reality.

uh_no
06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Hopefully, we'll hear a lot of "Sirk to Beilinson for the TD" over the next few years;). Thanks for reporting!

Well we have a couple more years of Renfree....so hopefully in a few years we'll hear a lot of that.

uh_no
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
also, in case anyone hasn't seen, Goduke posted some pics of the practice facility:

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=404732&DB_OEM_ID=4200

its a lot more finished then it was graduation weekend...looks like it'll be a wonderful facility

pbc2
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
also, in case anyone hasn't seen, Goduke posted some pics of the practice facility:

http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=404732&DB_OEM_ID=4200

its a lot more finished then it was graduation weekend...looks like it'll be a wonderful facility

It has already made a huge impact on recruiting. It's tangible evidence of the investment and growth of the program.

uh_no
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
It has already made a huge impact on recruiting. It's tangible evidence of the investment and growth of the program.

JQ: are you saying that because you know how the coaches are using it as a recruiting pitch (which I'm sure they are) and that it has swayed recruits, or just assuming so due to recent commits?

OldPhiKap
06-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Where is it located on campus? West of the open end of the horseshoe?

uh_no
06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Where is it located on campus? West of the open end of the horseshoe?

Adjacent to the open practice field on the basset drive direction.

pbc2
06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
JQ: are you saying that because you know how the coaches are using it as a recruiting pitch (which I'm sure they are) and that it has swayed recruits, or just assuming so due to recent commits?

Every recruit I have spoken to this summer has referenced the improvements in the program and cited the indoor facility. Several have said things along the lines of "I can see it's not just talk."

johnb
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM

He's got size (6'5" shown here; 6'6" elsewhere), speed (4.56 40-yd) and brains (4.5 GPA).

I don't know many recruits whose GPA is the same as their time in the 40. Kinda like shooting your age in golf, only sweatier.

Gewebe14
06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
And you can do it before you're 18

OZZIE4DUKE
06-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't know many recruits whose GPA is the same as their time in the 40. Kinda like shooting your age in golf, only sweatier.
Not only sweatier, but sweeter too! :cool:

devildeac
06-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I would love to see a guy with that height and speed on defense.

Partial disclaimer/not trying to argue question here, but wouldn't we want to see a little better/faster/quicker time for the 40 for our DB than 4.56? I think the height is great if this was a DB we were discussing hypothetically as it has been waaaay too easy to throw over our 5-9/5-10 for many years. But I also thought speed in the S/DB positions is the other major problem we have had recently with our 4.5/4.6 guys trying to cover the 4.3/4.4 WR guys our foes have had for a while.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Partial disclaimer/not trying to argue question here, but wouldn't we want to see a little better/faster/quicker time for the 40 for our DB than 4.56? I think the height is great if this was a DB we were discussing hypothetically as it has been waaaay too easy to throw over our 5-9/5-10 for many years. But I also thought speed in the S/DB positions is the other major problem we have had recently with our 4.5/4.6 guys trying to cover the 4.3/4.4 WR guys our foes have had for a while.
Yes, you would want your primary (man to man cover corners to be faster, but a safety, especially one 6'5" tall, might be fast enough at 4.5/4.6. I think he's got angles and height in his favor. Then again, today's defenses are so different from what I knew back in our day, DD, I may be way out in "left field" with my answer. :cool:

devildeac
06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Yes, you would want your primary (man to man cover corners to be faster, but a safety, especially one 6'5" tall, might be fast enough at 4.5/4.6. I think he's got angles and height in his favor. Then again, today's defenses are so different from what I knew back in our day, DD, I may be way out in "left field" with my answer. :cool:

Good explanation. Thanks. And, if you are "way out in left field," you're in the wrong sport:rolleyes:. Unfortunately, the best I can do at this time is one of these:

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/spork.gif

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Tomorrow's a big day! The 2011 recruits arrive at Duke to settle in for their time at Duke.... of course, one or two did enroll early.

Anyone on campus should be seeing bigger and bigger guys moving in and heading to the weight room.

uh_no
06-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Every recruit I have spoken to this summer has referenced the improvements in the program and cited the indoor facility. Several have said things along the lines of "I can see it's not just talk."

Thats really cool to hear. So many things are going right for the program, its hard to see us not becoming more successful. We have the financial supporters, we have a great coaching staff, not only on the field, but who are able to take what the financial supporters are providing and effectively sell it recruits, who are receptive to it.

While I'm highly critical of people here who rail on the students for not supporting the program, that is the next step. We'll see how the lack of tailgate and the promise of a very good offense can increase attendence.

CameronBornAndBred
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
And remember, that's his speed as a rising HS senior. I'm assuming by the time he takes the field for Duke, he'll have picked up his pace even more.

devildeac
06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
And remember, that's his speed as a rising HS senior. I'm assuming by the time he takes the field for Duke, he'll have picked up his pace even more.

Unless, of course, he spends a lot of time in the weight room, which he probably will, and puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle. IIRC, he is about 220-225 and that might be a bit thin on his 6-5/6-6 frame. But, then again, I'm no FB coach or trainer, either;).

Newton_14
06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats really cool to hear. So many things are going right for the program, its hard to see us not becoming more successful. We have the financial supporters, we have a great coaching staff, not only on the field, but who are able to take what the financial supporters are providing and effectively sell it recruits, who are receptive to it.

While I'm highly critical of people here who rail on the students for not supporting the program, that is the next step. We'll see how the lack of tailgate and the promise of a very good offense can increase attendence.

I know the bottom line (Wins/Losses) is what matters most, but to further your point, I caught the "Killer V's" doing an interview on local talk radio a week or so ago. One of them, right off the top of his head, reeled off several points about last season, that showed, despite the record, improvement is there.

He basically spoke about that in 4 or 5 of the losses, they were right there with a chance to win, and lost X amount of games by less than 8 points. One more play on offense here, one more stop on defense there, and the record is totally different, with a winning record and a bowl bid. They are knocking on the door and close to kicking the thing in.

Speaking on kicking, he talked about failure in the Red Zone leading to Will Snyderwine becoming an All-American. One of the key goals this year is to get 6 points way more often when they reach the Red Zone, so Will can lead the league in extra points instead of field goals.

The improvement over the past 3 seasons is definitely there, even though critics say no and only point to the bottom line. That is fair in a sense, but we are nearing the point where those improvements start showing up in the bottom line. Might not be this year, but it is definitely coming imo.

I ran into Cooper Helfet a few weeks back, and he said the guys have been busting their tails all off season and will be ready mentally and physically when the ball is kicked off this fall. He got me pumped!

To your other point, yep, it is going to take consistent winning and good play to put fannies in the seats and the students cannot fill the stadium by themselves. It is going to take all fans making a committment to show up and support the team.

airowe
07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Unless, of course, he spends a lot of time in the weight room, which he probably will, and puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle. IIRC, he is about 220-225 and that might be a bit thin on his 6-5/6-6 frame. But, then again, I'm no FB coach or trainer, either;).

Wouldn't he get faster if he spent a lot of time in the weight room? I'm going to guess there would be some leg workouts mixed in with upper body stuff.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
He needs to build his "quick" muscles too! :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Wouldn't he get faster if he spent a lot of time in the weight room? I'm going to guess there would be some leg workouts mixed in with upper body stuff.
Sprinters usually have huge thigh muscles, like running backs! It's what I referred to above as "quick" muscles. Distance runners are long and sinewy

pbc2
07-01-2011, 12:46 PM
BDN's weekly Duke Football Team and Recruiting update (http://bit.ly/iFhFLR).

devildeac
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM

That's a tough call. I'd guess he would add mostly upper body mass to withstand some of the pounding he might take in the pocket or on running plays but it would be balanced with leg work like you said, addressing speed and agility. A friend of mine is an old AA hurdler (IIRC) from Duke in the early to mid 70s and may still be there for strength and conditioning. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and ask their routines/philosophies/outcomes.

formerdukeathlete
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM

re "its not just talk," that a recruit would comment in this regard suggests to me that they are still getting an ear full of negative comments about Duke from other, competing programs.

At dinner at the bar at Carrabbas last night sat beside a couple of Kentucky grads, and, as we chatted briefly, they professed their hatred for Duke as a rich kids school. My comment was that admissions was need blind, that less than affluent applicants who were accepted received just about free rides these days. I think they knew this, but they just hated the combination of academics and athletics at Duke.

We are going to encounter these biases all the time in recruiting football players. I think its a given Duke wants to remain in the ACC. Improving Football is as simple as remaining committed to staying in the ACC.

When you encounter this, "at least its not just talk," talk with recruits. I might suggest telling them is just competitors bunk. Duke will start beating the likes of Clemson in Football again. "Recruit, you want to be a part of it? Get on the Train."

airowe
07-02-2011, 05:42 PM
When you encounter this, "at least its not just talk," talk with recruits. I might suggest telling them is just competitors bunk. Duke will start beating the likes of Clemson in Football again. "Recruit, you want to be a part of it? Get on the Train."

Are you really advising someone to try and recruit players to Duke?

-jk
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM

A really good time to remind everyone about the compliance (www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-TV-Coverage-Game-Chat-NCAA-Compliance-quot-9F-quot-NBA&p=205515#post205515) sticky. Please don't talk to recruits, much less recruit them.

-jk

formerdukeathlete
07-03-2011, 01:44 AM

pbc writes for bluedevilnation.net and speaks with football prospects all the time. In terms of what he says or doesn't, I am sure Watzone has that down pat.

Jarhead
07-03-2011, 07:43 AM
pbc writes for bluedevilnation.net and speaks with football prospects all the time. In terms of what he says or doesn't, I am sure Watzone has that down pat.

Are you sure that they are talking to prospects? Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here on who we are talking about. I'm thinking that the word prospect is being confused with recruit. Either way we should always avoid talking to prospects. It's easy. Let the coaching staffs do their jobs. They don't need our help.

airowe
07-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Speaking with football prospects about their school lists and trying to overcome negative recruiting tactics are so far apart on the spectrum of the job of a recruiting journalist it's not even funny.

formerdukeathlete
07-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Speaking with football prospects about their school lists and trying to overcome negative recruiting tactics are so far apart on the spectrum of the job of a recruiting journalist it's not even funny.

fair enough.

personally, i dont talk with prospects, not even a friend of mine's son, who will be a prospect for the 13 class and is being recruited by other schools at this point. Contact by coaches in recruiting is carefully controlled by the NCAA. Alums should stay way out of the way. And, we know cheating is rampant, unfortunately.

I do have a sense from some high school coaches that negative recruiting against Duke Football is out there (as we would all imagine), that Duke can be more aggressive in recruiting for the top players in going head to head with upper tier programs. Were we to become more in the running for such players, negative recruiting against Duke would increase, no doubt.

It really helps if the kids we are going after are a good fit for Duke academically. Somebody can say things like, "when will Duke ever go to a bowl?" or "sure they have an indoor practice facility, but look at the stadium." But, they really cant say that Ohio State is a better school with any kind of credibility.

Bob Green
07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Verbal commitment #13 comes from Safety Michael Westray (6'2" 185) from Westlake HS in Waldorf, Maryland:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/07/michael-westray-duke-commit/

Michael runs a 4.4 second 40 yard dash.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Verbal commitment #13 comes from Safety Michael Westray (6'2" 185) from Westlake HS in Waldorf, Maryland:

That's the kind of speed that gets DD excited! As well as the rest of us :D

Welcome to Duke, Michael!

devildeac
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM

That's the kind of speed that gets DD excited! As well as the rest of us :D

Welcome to Duke, Michael!

Good size, good speed. Makes it a whole lot tougher for our foes to beat us with speed or to throw over. Ozzie is correct. Makes me very happy. And hopefully, a lot of other Duke football fans, too:cool:.

CameronBornAndBred
07-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Only 2 of our 13 commits are under 6', that's impressive. Wonder if K will be eyeing any down the road for bench help. :cool:

pbc2
07-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Only 2 of our 13 commits are under 6', that's impressive. Wonder if K will be eyeing any down the road for bench help. :cool:

And one of them is the kicker!

I think Deion Williams may still fill out some, too.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's another nice tidbit about Sirk...he will be with the team for Spring practice in 2012.

Sirk is scheduled to graduate from high school in December and plans to enroll at Duke in January 2012.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011/07/06/1106270?sac=Sports